torresm

Apr 5, 2020
It would only have the mod symbol, if you had the mod installed.
Oh, I meant the little miniature image that is created in the save file. It's not updated in real time, which means whatever was visible in the game window at the time of saving will get captured into that image file and stay there, including any mod windows and buttons.

Here's one of my old saves, for example
1688695254180.png

I don't have mods currently installed, but you can still spot the little button over there since it was created back when I was still using Lain's mod. It'll probably give me some errors if I do try to load it, so it's gonna stay that way :LUL:

I think Lain changed something in how her mod works a few updates back to supposedly make it easier for players to remove it from the game without causing issues. I haven't used the mod in quite a while, so I don't know how well it works. Runey also did a rework of the file format a few updates ago to make it easier for players to just install updated files instead of the entire game. That may help with using Lain's mod, too.
Oh that's good to hear. Being able to move saves around without worrying about compatibility makes it easier for everyone.

Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Oh, I meant the little miniature image that is created in the save file. It's not updated in real time, which means whatever was visible in the game window at the time of saving will get captured into that image file and stay there, including any mod windows and buttons.

Here's one of my old saves, for example
View attachment 2750333

I don't have mods currently installed, but you can still spot the little button over there since it was created back when I was still using Lain's mod. It'll probably give me some errors if I do try to load it, so it's gonna stay that way :LUL:

Oh that's good to hear. Being able to move saves around without worrying about compatibility makes it easier for everyone.
I get the wrong thumb a lot, and the more saves you have, it seems the more likely it is that it will give you the wrong thumbnail. I get a thumbnail of the save screen all the time. XD
1688696441446.png
Have to exit and renter the save menu, and overwrite it to make it work.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: torresm

Anonny

♥ Ren'Py Fangirl ♥
Donor
Sep 18, 2017
is it weird that at this point I've started to not even care as much about the NSFW parts as much as I'm just kind of invested in the story now
Throughout the many years I've been here the constant I've noticed is that the best games are those that can lure you with the lewd, but then keeps you coming back for the story and characters.

ZenoMod

Nov 12, 2022
only it's Notepad++ instead of Atom (probably no difference for this use).
The reason I installed Atom is that it is aware of Ren'Py syntax, so it provides a best syntax highlighting than Notepad++.
With Notepad++ the best i could do with builtin language recognition is setting it manually to Python, but so the keywords of Ren'Py remain un-highlighted, and so the string substitution tokens in strings, the leading $ to execute a python statement online (in Npp screenshot I underlined some un-highlighted things that are instead highlighted in Atom screenshot).

I know that Notepad++ accepts custom grammar files for highlighting, but I didn't find one for Ren'Py online, and I'm not able to write my own.

Reactions: torresm

torresm

Apr 5, 2020
The reason I installed Atom is that it is aware of Ren'Py syntax, so it provides a best syntax highlighting than Notepad++.
With Notepad++ the best i could do with builtin language recognition is setting it manually to Python, but so the keywords of Ren'Py remain un-highlighted, and so the string substitution tokens in strings, the leading $ to execute a python statement online (in Npp screenshot I underlined some un-highlighted things that are instead highlighted in Atom screenshot).

I know that Notepad++ accepts custom grammar files for highlighting, but I didn't find one for Ren'Py online, and I'm not able to write my own.
That's nice, I didn't know that.
I did find an with some custom files and details on how to make N++ compatible with RenPy-specific syntax, but now I'll just give Atom a try first.

I've also been thinking about writing my own fixes for these small issues, so this will come in handy.

Reactions: c3p0 and ZenoMod

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Well, it's cool that Lain's mod can be used to fix that stuff. I do find the wording on that message a bit petty...
Yeah, that wording is seriously fucked up.
Less accusatory would have been to simply say that "Runey may have caused a glitch with recent changes. Here is a fix.".
Oops, sorry that wasn't my intention. :c
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
But it is frustrating that people assume my mod can be the cause of bugs when it never is. :c The mod doesn't really change or edit anything existing in the game, it only adds to the game. So problems with things in the base game will never be caused by the mod.

I think Lain changed something in how her mod works a few updates back to supposedly make it easier for players to remove it from the game without causing issues.
The mod doesn't cause any issues with save compatibility and it hasn't either in the past. This is another frustrating assumption I hear often. :c You can delete the mod and use a save played with the mod in an unmodded game without any issues.

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
So looks like a bit of that attitude got left in when I copied the text from that and I didn't change the button text enough, lol.
I have to disagree with the issue of compatibility with using the mod, or not using the mod.
Back before you disappeared I was a regular user of the mod, but then when there was no update being released, I tried playing without the mod and got the following stated issue.

Details:
*I never use the update downloads.
*I always download the whole game and start fresh with a new game folder, but using existing saves.
Anything like that issue will cause crashes and incompatibility with the game, if the mod is not used in later releases, because it alters what is permitted by the base code in the game.

Our only workable response for people was to start the game all over again, without the mod, which I also had to do. because that change made it impossible to play the game anymore, without the correct version of the mod for that release installed.
I had tried installing the older version of the mod as a last resort, just to try to change the outfit, but it crashed the game to, without allowing me to change the outfits and make a new save.

There is also an issue with raising certain stats that the mod allows.
The way that the game is set up, certain stats have to be at a specific level for events to trigger.
The mod allows people to raise those stats, and often they raise them past a trigger point for an event, and then come in to this thread complaining that they can't get an event to trigger.
Runey has a cheat code that allows people who use it to change "some" of the games stats, but not the critical stats that are used for triggering events.

If they are trying to play a new release of the game without the mod, but they had changed stats in the previous version of the game, with the mod installed, they are screwed, because they may not be able to get some events to trigger, due to the altered stats.
Unless they install the mod again, use a save editor, or get someone else to fix their stats, which would be a pain in the ass for them, since the other person may not know what they had changed, or where they should be in the game.
I would suggest not allowing people to change the critical to events stats, but only the ones that Runey's cheat code allows to be changed.

The issues:
I used to use the mod, and I noticed that it would play fine, until it hit an issue that the code could not deal with.

Example:
In the mod it gave you the ability to buy some outfits and get the girls to wear them early.
If you had used the mod to get one of the girls to wear that outfit, the game would crash when entering their room, if you did not have the mod installed on that release.
It would say right in the crash report that it was an issue with the outfit that she was wearing.
And it would name that specific outfit that the mod allowed you to use early.
I was not the only person who had that issue, but since so many people were being forced to try to play without the mod at that point, it was a recurring complaint here.
If you had not had the girls wearing those outfits, there would be no crash.
Any similar perks of the mod would likely have the same effect, because they left settings in the save file, that went against what the basic game code would allow, at that point in the game.
Which results in a crash.

Especially when the mod allows people to raise all of their stats to higher levels, and potentially miss events because of that.
Which, from their description, sounded a lot like what was happening.
A stat was too high, so they could not complete an event, because the stat was too high, to trigger the event.
When it says in the wiki that a certain stat needs to be 37, but they have that stat at 38, the event will not happen.

Last edited:

shadowtempered

Aug 22, 2020
But it is frustrating that people assume my mod can be the cause of bugs when it never is. :c The mod doesn't really change or edit anything existing in the game, it only adds to the game. So problems with things in the base game will never be caused by the mod.
It's assumed because it appears to have happened after you left. While I doubt anyone specifically identified what in the mod didn't or did work but it did break things down into one of two things after you were gone: those who had the mod had saves that didn't work in later versions, those who didn't have the mod had saves that worked. This was fairly consistent that it became a basic troubleshooting step - update the mod (Lord Ashram took over for you for a while) and see if things worked better. It did.

Ashram went to lengths to get the mod updated with new versions strictly to avoid issues with save files. You can find folks with these complaints as late as the v16 release and posts from members, including Ashram, trying to help and it extended further back. I know you haven't released the mod for a few versions now, but this did start before Ashram started with his version of the mod - the question has always been the same "Do you use Lain/Ashram's mod?".

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
It's assumed because it appears to have happened after you left. While I doubt anyone specifically identified what in the mod didn't or did work but it did break things down into one of two things after you were gone: those who had the mod had saves that didn't work in later versions, those who didn't have the mod had saves that worked. This was fairly consistent that it became a basic troubleshooting step - update the mod (Lord Ashram took over for you for a while) and see if things worked better. It did.

Ashram went to lengths to get the mod updated with new versions strictly to avoid issues with save files. You can find folks with these complaints as late as the v16 release and posts from members, including Ashram, trying to help and it extended further back. I know you haven't released the mod for a few versions now, but this did start before Ashram started with his version of the mod - the question has always been the same "Do you use Lain/Ashram's mod?".
In my examples above, it was definitely Lain's mod that was the issue, because LordAshram had not yet started to work on the mod.
There was literally no one working on the mod anymore at that time.

I had really liked Lain's mod and the extra features up to that point, but being forced to restart the game because of a problem that was flat out stated in the error report, that pointed straight at the mod, sucked.
It was a problem that was created because I used a feature in the mod to gain access to outfits for the girls earlier than they should have had them, and without the mod installed the game gave me the middle finger and said, nope, not happening and crashed, because I had her wearing an outfit that she should not have had yet..

It was literally this mod feature that is in bold and underlined text, that caused the crashing for myself and other people.
"A cheat menu has also been added which has cheats that allow you to set your money to $99999, maximize your stats with all girls, unlock all outfits & toys, and more. I've also added an in-game Encyclopedia that gets updated as you play, and can be used to keep track of certain characters or keep informed on parts of the story. Lastly, I've also made the UI cleaner and more readable by using an improved textbox and font."

Last edited:

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Oops, sorry that wasn't my intention. :c
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The mod doesn't cause any issues with save compatibility and it hasn't either in the past. This is another frustrating assumption I hear often. :c You can delete the mod and use a save played with the mod in an unmodded game without any issues.
I am fairly certain I have seen that issue with saves before, but what the issue is, is hard to say, it could be like DigDug said, someone used one of the cheats that the base game did not like. But I know I have seen saves from yours that work as well, but that was some time ago (so far so good on this one, have not had any issues so far).

Either way, it is good to see you back, and I wish you the best of luck with the mod. (y)

Reactions: Maid Lain

speedking535

Jun 8, 2017
Hey so im using the mod and i cant get pixel lvl 15 event to start what do i do ,also i cant buy the bartender outfit for maria HELP Please

shadowtempered

Aug 22, 2020
Hey so im using the mod and i cant get pixel lvl 15 event to start what do i do ,also i cant buy the bartender outfit for maria HELP Please
The wiki says that is Android's sleep event - so it'll happen when you go to bed.

Doesn't the mod buy all the outfits? So you can't buy what you already own. Until Maria requests the outfit for the job, you won't be able to give it to her.

Jun 26, 2023
It was literally this mod feature that is in bold and underlined text, that caused the crashing for myself and other people.
"A cheat menu has also been added which has cheats that allow you to set your money to $99999, maximize your stats with all girls, unlock all outfits & toys, and more. I've also added an in-game Encyclopedia that gets updated as you play, and can be used to keep track of certain characters or keep informed on parts of the story. Lastly, I've also made the UI cleaner and more readable by using an improved textbox and font."
I check last night v0.17.2 with Maid Lain mod installed, the 'unlock all outfits & toys' cheat, do not unlock all the outfits. As far I play, some outfits for Android and Maria remain locked and need to be bought. I remember the same happens in Lord Ashram's mod.

Also, I found, by accident, that in Lain's mod, if you use more than one time the unlock outfits cheat, you get extra stuff. What's more, you could give the extra outfits (or toys) to the girls, even if you did it before.

You need to buy it, as the other outfits, in the MC computer. The bartender outfit is one of the outfit that the 'unlock...' cheat do not, well, unlock.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Maid Lain

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
I check last night v0.17.2 with Maid Lain mod installed, the 'unlock all outfits & toys' cheat, do not unlock all the outfits. As far I play, some outfits for Android and Maria remain locked and need to be bought. I remember the same happens in Lord Ashram's mod.

Also, I found, by accident, that in Lain's mod, if you use more than one time the unlock outfits cheat, you get extra stuff. What's more, you could give the extra outfits (or toys) to the girls, even if you did it before.

You need to buy it, as the other outfits, in the MC computer. The bartender outfit is one of the outfit that the 'unlock...' cheat do not, well, unlock.
The crash, if I remember correctly, (it has been a while) was caused by one of Kali's outfits that I had used the mod to get early, and then had her wear, and maybe one other girls outfits after using that feature in one release, and then not installing the mod in the next release of the game.

K00mer

Sep 15, 2020
Well, that was one hell of a boost, making tech breakthrough from the first pc to a bunch of generations of AI and advanced robotics (hotel android was already outdated by at least two decades!), for some 35-40 years. Tony Stark is crying in the corner :eek:

• Haha
4.70 star(s) 453 Votes