vexx_

Dec 1, 2019
So.. it's been almost a month since the last Patreon post. I don't want to be that guy but I am very curious how development has been going.

Gojii

Oct 29, 2019
I mean when you're like me who seriously checks the game out for the first time and see its been in development for like... five years? Idk man... even at the extreme low end if every sub was only doing $1 they're pulling over 5k a month...(and its clearly a lot more than that) the output doesn't add up. :WaitWhat:

Looks decent for a HS1/PH type graphics but sure has that kind of vibe going on here...

1707654451479.png

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I mean when you're like me who seriously checks the game out for the first time and see its been in development for like... five years? Idk man... even at the extreme low end if every sub was only doing $1 they're pulling over 5k a month...(and its clearly a lot more than that) the output doesn't add up. :WaitWhat:

Looks decent for a HS1/PH type graphics but sure has that kind of vibe going on here...

View attachment 3345423
Are we going there again?!
Well, just for the fuckingst I-don't-know-time:
  1. You like it, you can give Runey some money. Nobody force you to do that.
  2. This game is free. That means that everyone can play it after the full release.
  3. It his only source of income. Thus depending on where Runey lives in Europe 5 000 $ isn't that much.
  4. 5 years development with at least 3 big, chunky updates each years - update size alone reached 1 GB at the time I still have done the update patches.
So, what is your point here? That Runey earns more than 5 000 $ per month? Nice for him in my eyes. I earn 8 000 $ per month for a 8 to 5 job and still would like to have a little more and I'm not my own boss.
That 4 861 ones, including myself, give him some bucks? Again nice for him and even if I would disagree with Runey and his development, I can't do anything about the 4 860 other than myself and then we would be at the 1st point again.

Last edited:

JoePlant

May 2, 2017
  2. This game is free. That means that everyone can play it after the full release.
  3. It his only source of income. Thus depending on where Runey lives in Europe 5 000 $ isn't that much.
  4. 5 years development with at least 3 big, chunky updates each years - update size alone reached 1 GB at the time I still have done the update patches.
You forgot taxes. Everywhere will take a chunk of that "$5,000", and it is always going to be a significant amount also. Some countries a LOT more than others.

Honestly, whenever I see posts like that any more it just means they are jealous and maybe even have traits of entitlement that they aren't getting any of those monies. Esp as who are they really trying to talk to? The people here? I'd guess that most of us here are just leaches. I know I am one. I'll at least be honest about such. I say let people be when it isn't hurting anyone. They feel they are getting value? So be it. I mean really, look at the amount the "mega churches" get in "donations" in the USA. It is sickening because how do those "pastors" spend it? Private jets and other luxury items vs following what they should be doing and helping the community. (and yes, I'm stopping there as that would be going way to political to continue.)

shadowtempered

Aug 22, 2020
Much of that last conversation was deleted because someone couldn't remain civil. Then either a mass report was done for anything else in the area or a mod decided to clean up anything else related, so much of it was removed.

Long term games seem to all run into this issue and since the game hasn't had an update for a while, it's HH's turn in the grinder. Based on other game threads here at f95, it's not against the rules, so this isn't going to stop anytime soon. Just hopefully it'll be handled more civilly this time though the instigator isn't off to a great start, again.

Gojii

Oct 29, 2019
Well, just for the fuckingst I-don't-know-time:
So, what is your point here? That Runey earns more than 5 000 $ per month? Nice for him in my eyes. I earn 8 000 $ per month for a 8 to 5 job and still would like to have a little more and I'm not my own boss.
That 4 861 ones, including myself, give him some bucks? Again nice for him and even if I would disagree with Runey and his development, I can't do anything about the 4 860 other than myself and then we would be at the 1st point again.
As stated, first time taking a peek. That's why I'm doing :WaitWhat: instead of :KEK::KEK::KEK: for things like a few other games. Seemed odd a game has been going on for years and seems no end point in development.

If its free release I've got no beef with them really. As to "envy" angle? I just backed another new game dev literally yesterday. I like backing devs putting in effort, and even more so when they do early access (The best model for monetization imo). But a project that is half a decade and not done by default... seems a bit suspect, especially when pulling a solid check monthly, which is where it seemed weird to me. :unsure: Also 5k is the literal minimum, its likely double that or much higher considering the first step up is $5.

Idk why there's such an angry reaction asking about a project thats dragged on for half a decade that pulls in that. :LUL:Unironically was asking if the dev is milking or not. Not that deep. :HideThePain:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lolicon Kami

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Idk why there's such an angry reaction.
Because it doesn't add anything constructive at all.
Does Runey earn too much money for his work? Perhaps, perhaps not. Does Gianni Infantino too much money for his work? Almost certain, at least in my eyes.
Can I do something against any of those two? Almost certain not.
Does it makes the game better or worser if the dev, in this case earns more or less? Don't know and don't think so.

My questions would be and only if I want support a dev, does what the dev make is enough for myself that I spend my own money on him? Nothing more, nothing less. If I can answer this question positive and I can afford it, then he get some money from myself (sure, his supporting base is a part of the factors for me, but not the only one).
For most of the games here, that I don't support it is much more simple:
Does I like it? Yes/No
Does I like it enough to engage into a thread? Yes/No
Of course both can change over time.

Also from your own signature, I disagree. If you pirate a game you don't hurt the dev per se. You would only hurt him, if you do that over buying the game from him and I very much doubt that you support a lot of devs.

Last edited:

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
As stated, first time taking a peek. That's why I'm doing :WaitWhat: instead of :KEK::KEK::KEK: for things like a few other games. Seemed odd a game has been going on for years and seems no end point in development.

If its free release I've got no beef with them really. As to "envy" angle? I just backed another new game dev literally yesterday. I like backing devs putting in effort, and even more so when they do early access (The best model for monetization imo). But a project that is half a decade and not done by default... seems a bit suspect, especially when pulling a solid check monthly, which is where it seemed weird to me. :unsure: Also 5k is the literal minimum, its likely double that or much higher considering the first step up is $5.

Idk why there's such an angry reaction asking about a project thats dragged on for half a decade that pulls in that. :LUL:Unironically was asking if the dev is milking or not. Not that deep. :HideThePain:
This topic really needs to die, again.
Seriously, it has been discussed more than enough already.

This has been mentioned many times already, but here we go again.
The game is free to everyone, so if anyone chooses to support the dev, it is 100% their choice to do so, they are not being forced.
It is well known that this game has long periods between updates, and it has been like that for a very long time.
This year, the dev had to deal with a death in the family, that they had to deal with, and personal sickness, that left them unable to work on what is really, their hobby.
Their hobby, something that they work on, in their spare time, when their real life allows them to work on it.
And since the game is free to everyone, supporters can cancel at any time that they choose, and still get the game for free.
Anyone still supporting the dev, has chosen to do so of their own free will.

shitass1001

Jun 8, 2021

So weird to me whenever someone says that "the game has been in development for X time therefore it should be X close to finishing" or my personal favourite "game has been in development for X time and you cant have sex with this character?".
The length of development doesn't matter at all for the pacing of the story of the game.

"But a project that is half a decade and not done by default... seems a bit suspect" maybe for a multi dev team, or a shorter story.

Rilvik

May 2, 2017
So weird to me whenever someone says that "the game has been in development for X time therefore it should be X close to finishing" or my personal favourite "game has been in development for X time and you cant have sex with this character?".
The length of development doesn't matter at all for the pacing of the story of the game.
We spent 5 years boning these women and no one is pregnant yet? Might be shooting blanks.

Gojii

Oct 29, 2019
Also from your own signature, I disagree. If you pirate a game you don't hurt the dev per se. You would only hurt him, if you do that aver buying the game from him and I very much doubt that you support a lot of devs.
That's referring to paywallers. I already said I support early access. Again, you seem to be the former that will freak out over any sort of criticism. I even prefaced my first question in asking, specifically given how many devs engage in flat out ripping off their backers.

Simply stating "5 years development with at least 3 big, chunky updates each years - update size alone reached 1 GB at the time I still have done the update patches." Would've been an entirely valid answer where I'd be like: "Oh? good shit."

Instead, I get.... whatever tantrum you three are on. You're the very types I allude to in that signature. (Also size of the game's files doesn't mean jack shit and you know that)

I backed enough projects that I've been burned by devs a few times milking patrons to be very skeptical of games that drag on and on.

Shilling and freaking out defending a dev who at first glance looks like their dragging out a game's development for 5 years isn't helpful to that dev if they're 100% legit and worth backing. I like getting behind devs that do good work, but if anything this kind of reaction by clearly diehard fans for the game is a red flag to me. :LUL:

pgm_01

Jan 11, 2018
That's referring to paywallers. I already said I support early access. Again, you seem to be the former that will freak out over any sort of criticism. I even prefaced my first question in asking, specifically given how many devs engage in flat out ripping off their backers.

Simply stating "5 years development with at least 3 big, chunky updates each years - update size alone reached 1 GB at the time I still have done the update patches." Would've been an entirely valid answer where I'd be like: "Oh? good shit."

Instead, I get.... whatever tantrum you three are on. You're the very types I allude to in that signature. (Also size of the game's files doesn't mean jack shit and you know that)

I backed enough projects that I've been burned by devs a few times milking patrons to be very skeptical of games that drag on and on.

Shilling and freaking out defending a dev who at first glance looks like their dragging out a game's development for 5 years isn't helpful to that dev if they're 100% legit and worth backing. I like getting behind devs that do good work, but if anything this kind of reaction by clearly diehard fans for the game is a red flag to me. :LUL:
Nothing better to do on Superbowl Sunday but to troll?

There are definitely games where I question if the dev is committed to their own game. There are even some that I would consider simply a scam at this point. But this game is nowhere near those.

Runey puts out a very high quality game with sizable updates, that isn't paywalled.

I saw this game and the title and was like harem in a hotel? Maybe. I looked at the character stills and was like, those are OK, let's try this. I was not prepared for how much I like the story. This game could easily have been a game where MC's magical penis helps him nail every new female that comes to the hotel. While that could be fun, the story presented with a few characters given time to grow is impressive. This game is about story, it has plenty of action and repeatable things for those that like that, but it primarily a story. So people who don't like to read, or want a plot, should probably look elsewhere.

shadowtempered

Aug 22, 2020
Not defending or excusing posts/behavior/releases/whatever or anything but providing some minor context. Some of the negativity that's floating around is due to someone recently starting drama, insulting folks and continuing to do so in the vein of "dev makes X dollars, isn't releasing and you're all simps for supporting it". Specifically calling out community members, being overall negative and general ass-hattery.

With the topic being so recent (like maybe 2-3 weeks before the mod clean-up), it's bound to flare up tempers for little reason beyond "We've done this and we're already doing it again". HH discussion has been mostly drama free for years, so seeing it fall into the veins of Hero's Harem Guild / Summertime Saga / etc is kinda depressing for some folks.

Again: just context.

Regarding the dev time: Runey himself has said that he has a couple years of ideas still left to put into the game. So you'll be looking at 7-8 years of potential dev time and that's barring any additional delays. Which as BebopPiggo has been keen to point out has been several over the last 1-2 years.

He's been sick multiple times, had a death in the family and a trans-continental move. Whether you support those as valid reasons for slowing dev time or not is up to you.
Nothing better to do on Superbowl Sunday but to troll?
To be fair, not all of us care about the Super Bowl :), so he might not be trolling. At least he's providing context to his reasoning and being civil about it. That's far more than the last heated conversation had.

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019

Well, Harem Hotels dev is not milking people.
The dev is active here, and regularly responds to posts.
He keeps people here updated as to what is going on, and even advises us in advance if he will be unavailable for any period of time.

I've never seen or even heard of a dev that is milking people who does all of those things.
Harem Hotel is simply a massive game that is being worked on with very little help from others that has always been a long term project for the dev, that they work on in their spare time.
There are a few other such games on F95 that are long term solo projects.
And when you consider that those games are offered to everyone for free, and that there is no real team of people working on the project, releases will be few and far between, spread out over years.

If you are uncomfortable supporting the dev long term, then don't, but if you want to send a little money, simply fund them one time, by joining their patreon, donating the money, then immediately cancel.
You can always donate more when the next release comes out.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Also to add, what shadowtempered nicely summarized, arse long debate about development are per se against the rules too (point 2.7).

I still stand by my word, talking about development time, cost, etc. adds little to none value. It does not improve the game, it does not remove some bugs, it does only agitated others (on boths side of the fence) at best.
And as others pointed out development times means almost nothing, 1 year for a team working with 20 members full time for a short AVN, with noting special at all, I would say that they needed long and most likely the speed of development is lacking. 5 year for a single person with a main job and other hobbies than just work on the AVN alone, it is another story.

I'm all up for make your own desiscion and live with them (as we all must), but I'm also up to inform yourselve, nothing in the world is free. So, just comparing dev times, is too easy. Also, as an example DarkCookie have over 26 000 members and earns around 57 000 $ per month for a game whose been on Patreon since 2016...
We can put numbers from many devs up, but in my eyes, it comes simple to the one question "Does the dev 'earns' the right that I spend money on him?" and that one can't answer anyone but yourself for you.

Inform yourself, answer that question for yourself and if the dev is not "up to your standards" all ok, but in my eyes, don't bring "that" in any game thread, at least for sure not as the first or second post of oneself in the thread.
Looked at the devs website, the post here, try to build your own opinion, try the game out as most of the (paywall) games you find here.
Most time I ask a question because of development is more, why eg. Runey hasn't written/released anything since 26th June 2023 is not to have the next update now (of course it would be nice), but cause I isn't in his usual timeframe and that worries me.

Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Not defending or excusing posts/behavior/releases/whatever or anything but providing some minor context. Some of the negativity that's floating around is due to someone recently starting drama, insulting folks and continuing to do so in the vein of "dev makes X dollars, isn't releasing and you're all simps for supporting it". Specifically calling out community members, being overall negative and general ass-hattery.

With the topic being so recent (like maybe 2-3 weeks before the mod clean-up), it's bound to flare up tempers for little reason beyond "We've done this and we're already doing it again". HH discussion has been mostly drama free for years, so seeing it fall into the veins of Hero's Harem Guild / Summertime Saga / etc is kinda depressing for some folks.

Again: just context.

Regarding the dev time: Runey himself has said that he has a couple years of ideas still left to put into the game. So you'll be looking at 7-8 years of potential dev time and that's barring any additional delays. Which as BebopPiggo has been keen to point out has been several over the last 1-2 years.

He's been sick multiple times, had a death in the family and a trans-continental move. Whether you support those as valid reasons for slowing dev time or not is up to you.

To be fair, not all of us care about the Super Bowl :), so he might not be trolling. At least he's providing context to his reasoning and being civil about it. That's far more than the last heated conversation had.
Look at how long Starfield was in production, with a huge team, and it's a steaming pile of garbage. I would rather play something like this, were the dev cares about their lore and characters, and their fan's time.

TamreeFugar

May 14, 2021
It Seems people are forgetting that Runey is a one man team meaning HE writes the story HE does the renders & animation and HE does the programming. Runey also stated that the game WILL ALWAYS BE FREE on his itch.to page If only people would stop disssing the dev for his (IMO)wonderful story and diverse characters, we would not be getting in these PISSING contests. READ THE DEV DIARY BEFORE YOU START TYPING!

4.70 star(s) 454 Votes