JoePlant

May 2, 2017
I love the sandboxy elements too.
The way the sandbox is done there I don't have an issue with it. I've seen some sandbox where you have to click 8 times just to get where you want to go. That is way way to much, and I lose interest fast. You don't get lost with exploration either. Now given how the Lobby is setup, I do worry that it could get too convoluted as it isn't like we can spin 360 degrees to get our barrings. (and I am talking a slow look around, head turning. the image of North then an image of South doesn't cut it as our brains do not work like that.)

This is where I like how some VNs actually put "room buttons" on the page to state where you can go. But it would look really awkward for such to be created just for the Lobby though. So I really don't have a good compromise idea to suggest any form of a change.

Reactions: TheDevian

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
The problem with sandbox games, is that if there is a gallery option that allows you to replay events, then there is really no need for the sandbox.
Once you play through an event, you can just go to the gallery, and replay any event that you want to replay.
The only time that you might need to go into game mode, would be if a new event were added, and after that, it would be available in the gallery.

Last edited:

shadowtempered

Aug 22, 2020
The problem with sandbox games, is that if there is a gallery option that allows you to replay events, then there is really no need for the sandbox.
Once you play through an event, you can just go to the gallery, and replay any event that you want to replay.
The only time that you might need to go into sandbox mode, would be if a new event were added, and after that, it would be available in the gallery.
This is just my take: if I had a sandbox game, those sandbox repeatables wouldn't be in the gallery. The gallery would be for things you can't easily see again (like story events). Sandbox events should be accessible to encourage repeated / extended play after you've finished the storyline. As you said, if everything is in the gallery, what's the point of the sandbox. If there's no point to the sandbox, why develop it further?

I can't say how everyone plays the game. I can say that I've looked at the gallery in HH maybe 3-4 times, mostly for Kali story events(school library scene... /chef's kiss). Otherwise I just play through the day like normal and do the sandbox events.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
The only time that you might need to go into game mode, would be if a new event were added, and after that, it would be available in the gallery.
Personally, I don't like using the gallery, but I love repeatable scenes. It feels like I am actually doing something, rather than just loading an old save or whatever.

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
The girls are nice, the kinks are fun, the MC just seems to be sort of forgettable. I've been around long enough with these types of games I'm just comfortably numb. But what keeps me around actually is Runey's world building and faction plot lines. I have great enjoyment in watching his imagination at work.
The MC is a ”Self insert” … so the forgettable-ness of the mc is by design there isn’t supposed to be too many details regarding them to help facilitate the reader immersing themselves as the MC to a greater degree.

It’s not completely uncommon and is used to varying degrees in other stories.

The funniest one I’ve ever seen discussed is of the character
”Bella” in the Twilight books … that author gives almost zero details regarding “Bella” so the reader can self insert as LI of the vampires & werewolves. (Which made me laugh cuz those books were mad marketed at tween girls so “Bella“ could easily be anything)

The reason I mentioned Twilight was because the author spoke about how the movie casting ruined the ”self insert” aspect that was so central to the written story.

Reactions: TheDevian

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
There are two types of events …
the repeatables (with multiple options) such as outfits and/or locations.
and the one time events which are then captured in the gallery.

So Runey’s implementation with BOTH types and the separation between the two is something unique and I find it quite impressive and fun. It also helps “the gallery” be somewhat more focused & less cluttered … think about how fugly and ridiculous the gallery would be to capture all the events everywhere that are scattered all over. (lobby,kitchen,shower,dungeon,onsen,LI bedroom,mc bedroom) not to mention that some characters ONLY have repeatables and therefore have zero presence in the gallery (like the side sanctuary elves) the barfly girl & the girls out in the onsen.

As of right now there are a couple of one-time events that got missed in the gallery.
The sandbox aspects are always available and since those repeating sandbox events have “options” it is quite an imaginative and creative implementation.
This also gives folks like The Devian the opportunity to rack up ridiculous amounts of head-pats in the 4-5 digit range.

Last edited:

Gojii

Oct 29, 2019
Personally, I don't like using the gallery, but I love repeatable scenes. It feels like I am actually doing something, rather than just loading an old save or whatever.
Same. For me the Gallery is just a reference for what content I haven't seen. I'll just make a save file for a favorite scene in a game i can go back to as well given chances are some of what is just before/after it is enjoyable too in most cases.

Tbh glad we're on the same page on a few things and just got jumbled around (because some devs have got me so pessimistic/skeptical these days :LUL:). Personally I like sandbox as long as they're not tedious/grindy as it gives a little something else to do as part of a game world.

VNs can be great too but something about being able to have the story not HAVE to be in the same order when replaying to give a slightly different feel when replaying it is enjoyable. Probably why Star Ocean Second Story was always one of my favorite RPGs growing up. Going to give this a look and see how it goes and let you all know. :giggle:

Logan1377

Feb 13, 2023
I guess it depends on how you enjoy games? For me, I rarely even use a gallery other than to see if I missed something along the way. Finding or achieving that scene in the sandbox mode is not only sexy, but highly satisfying and enjoyable, and I also love it when I can replay scenes between new content by going back to see those characters again and again to interact with them. For me, that's one of the biggest upsides of the sandbox format over a one-directional, narrative VN, which often makes me lose interest.

JoePlant

May 2, 2017
Same. For me the Gallery is just a reference for what content I haven't seen. I'll just make a save file for a favorite scene in a game i can go back to as well given chances are some of what is just before/after it is enjoyable too in most cases.
The concern of doing that is, the old save file may no longer work unless you remember to constantly update it with each update while praying the update doesn't break save files unilaterally. Ah the risk of early access as it were.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Will you be posting ye old meme of over 9,000 when you break the barrier?
You know it. :cool:
The concern of doing that is, the old save file may no longer work unless you remember to constantly update it with each update while praying the update doesn't break save files unilaterally. Ah the risk of early access as it were.
If you are talking about Lain's mod, she has so far managed to not break saves. I am pretty impressed, TBH. Good work to her on it! (y)

4.70 star(s) 454 Votes