NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
Undoubtfully Notty has done a great job to improve her game's graphic, to fix some bugs in the previous releases and to solve some issue she had encoutered developing the fifth chapter, but in the end I'm a little skeptical with this update for two reasons. During the new intro the MC stated the assault rifle is the only weapon he is confident to use well (and so he has de facto discarded the sniper rifle), but in the second or third chapter he stated he is a sniper. So there are two possibility or Notty will change that dialogue (making the MC less interesting in my opinion), or she will not change that dialogue creating and inconsistency in the story (even it is a small one), an issue Notty could have avoided if the MC shoud have chose the assault rifle saying "I prefere the A.R. because it is a more versatile weapon, if you have to defend yourself; the other ones are too specialized in their scope of use." The other reason is the graphic, it is stunning and better under all point of view, but the very first was already good, so I didn't felt the need for this change and the (two) related delays of the update. Anyway the new intro is really good, it helps a lot the player to immerge himself in the game's setting.
There was another thing I wanted say, but in this moment I don't remember what.
:unsure:
There was no loss of time for the graphics, it was done while she was coding, on a computer that would have just been gathering dust anyway if she hadn't done it. As for the sniper iirc it's when Chris asks you what's your hobby you can choose that you're training to get your sniper badge. Meaning that you're not yet proficient so being confident only with the AR makes sense. Also it's one of several choices so not every player will pick the sniper trait.

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
Partially correct, if you chose the sniper option in that dialogue, the MC states he has gained that badge. So with this new intro the player can chose to play a sniper who isn't proficient with a sniper rifle (which doesn't make sense), can accept to be forced to chose another option instead the one he wanted, in order to avoid that inconsistency or can try to "fix" the issue saying "this dialogue hasn't happened"; which is a pretty disruptive way to play.

Last edited:

NukaCola

Engaged Member
Jul 1, 2017
I'm out of the loop here. I remember this game have abandoned tag before because the dev take too long between the update. But now there is Chapter 1 R? I assume R means Remastered. So there is no new content at all. Just a new remastered of Chapter 1? Its so weird when games dev decides to do a remastered when the game is no where even near complete yet.

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty much yes, the only real new event in the first chapter is the intro and I agree also with your last statement. I can understand the desire to remaster the game, in order to make it perfect, but remaster it two times in a so early stage… Let's say in my line of work it isn't how a person should behave, if he would like to keep his job; unless there aren't some critical issues with the product.
But Notty isn't working for anyone and anyone is forced to pay for her work…

reiterhaniwa

Apr 16, 2019
Its so weird when games dev decides to do a remastered when the game is no where even near complete yet.
It's not that weird. Commercial game developers will often rework or even completely reboot their development (or parts thereof) several times before they settle on a final version of the game, for better or worse. You just don't see it happen as much because a) it's usually all internal (this is something that has changed in recent years with the advent of things like crowdfunded games which usually require progress updates, and game devs being more willing to openly post about their work process on social media) and b) it often happens much faster in commercial because they have entire development teams who can work on it.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
As for the sniper iirc it's when Chris asks you what's your hobby you can choose that you're training to get your sniper badge. Meaning that you're not yet proficient so being confident only with the AR makes sense.
Plus the choice is clearly for a self defense weapon. Even fully qualified as sniper, I wouldn't mention a sniper rifle and goes for my second best known weapon.

Reactions: BEAR1613

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
Plus the choice is clearly for a self defense weapon. Even fully qualified as sniper, I wouldn't mention a sniper rifle and goes for my second best known weapon.
Then a sniper rifle shouldn't have been an option.
Actually all that dialogue isn't very well written, because an armed force doesn't work in that way. It is the force in which a soldier is enlisted that decides his equipment (so also his weapons) and when it does that, it assign a specific weapon: a specific rifle, a specific helmet, a specific radio (if he is a radio operator) and so on; of course this rule isn't applied to the disposable equipment, like the ammo. Consequently when a soldier goes to the armoury to pick up his weapons (or in the warehouse for the rest of the equipment), the staff will not give him a rifle, a knife, a radio… The staff will give him his own rifle, his own knife, his own radio… So I think the right way to write that dialogue should have been this, the MC goes to the armoury, identifies himself and asks for his weapons. Then the staff gives a pistol to him, he asks why a pistol instead of his assault rifle and the staff answer "It is an order of the command."; which is a power that the command actually has.
Of course I understand if none of you will see any problem in how Notty has handled the thing, but for me it is very hard to suspend my disbelief due to my (very brief) past in the army and due to the illogicality to show four weapons to the MC, let him chose what weapon want and then says "No, you can't chose, because the command has already decided what weapon you can have."

Last edited:
Reactions: Udayana

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Then a sniper rifle shouldn't have been an option.
Neither the sniper rifle, nor the assault rifle are an option. They are presented to the player, because they'll be available later in the game. And they are presented now because Yvonne words are not here just to add in the words count.
While Jane present them in a theoretical context, Yvonne present them in a practical context. This will help the player when the time will come.

In other words, "congratulation, achievement granted: Passed the weapon tutorial".

Actually all that dialogue isn't very well written, because an armed force doesn't work in that way.
Don't hesitate to contact Notty. I'm 100% sure that your knowledge regarding the regulations on board of Earth's military deep space vessels, will interest her.

Then the staff gives a pistol to him, he asks why a pistol instead of his assault rifle and the staff answer "It is an order of the command."; which is a power that the command actually has.
So, exactly what happened, minus the tutorial part...

Of course I understand if none of you will see any problem in how Notty has handled the thing,
It's not that I don't see a problem, it's that I don't forget that it's a fictional story, that is presented as a game, that take place in a distant future, and where the MC is an engineer officer, not a regular trooper. Anyway, the last point make it unlikely for him to be granted more than a hand gun. This despite his past in the infantry ; past that is mostly here to justify the strategical and ground fighting knowledge he'll present later in the story.

but for me it is very hard to suspend my disbelief due to my (very brief) past in the army
If Notty, who've been commissioned officer serving Her Majesty for more than a very brief time, have been able to deal with this, I'm sure that you can too...

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
Neither the sniper rifle, nor the assault rifle are an option. They are presented to the player, because they'll be available later in the game. And they are presented now because Yvonne words are not here just to add in the words count.
While Jane present them in a theoretical context, Yvonne present them in a practical context. This will help the player when the time will come.

In other words, "congratulation, achievement granted: Passed the weapon tutorial".
Mmm…
I would object that if the purpose of this tutorial was the one you have explained, it could have been done better since Notty could have shown the various weapons when they will be actually usable, since Notty could give those informations when they will be really useful using some dialogue among MC and other characters in Ophion (or the MC thoughts), since a tutorial in which you have to understand that the rapid fire icon and the aimed fire icon have the purpose to perform a rapid or an aimed fire isn't really necessary.

[EDIT]
So, exactly what happened, minus the tutorial part...
Actually not and the entire armory scene seems to be part of the tutorial, because for some reason if you decide to skip the tutorial, you skip also the entire armory scene.

It's not that I don't see a problem, it's that I don't forget that it's a fictional story, that is presented as a game, that take place in a distant future, and where the MC is an engineer officer, not a regular trooper. Anyway, the last point make it unlikely for him to be granted more than a hand gun. This despite his past in the infantry ; past that is mostly here to justify the strategical and ground fighting knowledge he'll present later in the story.
I am perfectly aware of that.
[/EDIT]

If Notty, who've been commissioned officer serving Her Majesty for more than a very brief time, have been able to deal with this, I'm sure that you can too...
Did she has? Well if she had, this doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I am perfectly aware of that.
If you are perfectly aware that it's a fiction taking place in a distant future, an presenting a space force that don't exist, why are you saying that there's a problem "in how Notty has handled the thing" ?

As far as one can envision this future, place is limited in such space vessels, and priority have to go to the kitchen, not to the armory. If you're short on weapons, you still can flew away. But if you're short on food, everyone is doomed.
Therefore, that only the fighting units, and the shuttle crew since they are often out of the ship, have their own weapons is perfectly rational. The others dip into the armory stock when they have to go on mission. With this, you can reasonably divide by at least five the number of weapons on board, while still having every needs covered. And the space gained that way can stock food for few more days.

Did she has? Well if she had, this doesn't mean I'm wrong.
I didn't said that you are wrong, but that you are, hmm, out of scope.
If it was a game taking place nowadays, it would be an issue, still just a relative one. But here it take place a a context we know nothing about, therefore judging regarding the current regulation is meaningless.

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
If you are perfectly aware that it's a fiction taking place in a distant future, an presenting a space force that don't exist, why are you saying that there's a problem "in how Notty has handled the thing" ?
Because there is a problem and there is a huge difference between the suspension of disbelief (indispensable prerequisite to enjoy a fictional story) and the suspension of critical sensibility.

Reactions: Whosbeenfappin

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
Hi there,
Assuming you're trying to follow Annie's path in the Walkthrough from the FP and according to your first question about where to find Annie's mug:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Ah! So can you achieve the "collector achievement" in (at least) two different ways? I have done that finding out another object in another place (a dice in a locker); good to know. I suppose every object you can collect is somehow related to a certain path and I wonder if there are other objects to find.
:unsure:

Last edited:

ajdop

Feb 11, 2019
Pretty much yes, the only real new event in the first chapter is the intro and I agree also with your last statement. I can understand the desire to remaster the game, in order to make it perfect, but remaster it two times in a so early stage… Let's say in my line of work it isn't how a person should behave, if he would like to keep his job; unless there aren't some critical issues with the product.
But Notty isn't working for anyone and anyone is forced to pay for her work…
I'm also out of the loop clearly, I've previously downloaded CH3 R (but never tried it as I played the original), but the recently released CH1 R is a re-remaster/rework?

Perhaps the changelog on the first page could be updated to clarify this?

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes