reiterhaniwa

Apr 16, 2019
The issues are (IIRC) the bug Notty used to use to do good lighting in Daz has been patched so all the prior scenes had to be rerendered to make the lighting look correct with the old and new scenes (which is now done - the 4090 is that fast), two scenes heavily relied on random number generation and Ren'Py is garbage at random numbers (one of these is resolved by simply returning the scene to dialogue choices by the Player)
Ah, two eternal foes of the developer/programmer - legacy bugs features being patched and the RNG. As someone wise once said to me "RNGs - they aren't."

Reactions: Oddball2k

Oddball2k

Woof, woof, woof!
Donor
Jun 1, 2018
Ah, two eternal foes of the developer/programmer - legacy bugs features being patched and the RNG. As someone wise once said to me "RNGs - they aren't."
Cryptographic RNG or Scientific RNG simulation(with independent uniform random numbers), are the only options that I can think of with python.
But knowing Notty, a quantum random generator could be on the agenda.. :D

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017
Well, you should be able to call on the secrets module of python within renpy for crypto-suitable PRNG, though depending on the usecase you might need to adapt the wrapper renpy provides for random to provide rollback-persistence.

Although honestly, even the MT renpy provides should suffice, unless you've got really bad luck with the seed.

Oddball2k

Woof, woof, woof!
Donor
Jun 1, 2018
Although honestly, even the MT renpy provides should suffice, unless you've got really bad luck with the seed.
Well yes, it seems to be sufficient when the mini-games are as stand-alone modules.

As the designer of Renpy himself states: "Each time Ren'Py starts, an infinite list of random numbers is created, and a pointer starts off at the start of this list. Everytime you take a random number, this pointer gets advanced one spot down the list".

It's like a lottery machine with numbered balls: each time a ball is drawn, it is not replaced into the lottery machine.

It seems that there are enough balls(the list is not so "infinite") for only one module which heavily uses them, at a time.
But, put those modules into the main game and this "infinite" list of random numbers will be rapidly shorten to the point that the initial distribution curve of random numbers will be affect too drastically..

But don't worry, Notty must have already solved the problem. If the module works fine as a stand alone, she will make it work the same way in the main game. Just part of her final tuning process. :)

• Hey there
Reactions: TheDevian

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
Well yes, it seems to be sufficient when the mini-games are as stand-alone modules.

As the designer of Renpy himself states: "Each time Ren'Py starts, an infinite list of random numbers is created, and a pointer starts off at the start of this list. Everytime you take a random number, this pointer gets advanced one spot down the list".

It's like a lottery machine with numbered balls: each time a ball is drawn, it is not replaced into the lottery machine.

It seems that there are enough balls(the list is not so "infinite") for only one module which heavily uses them, at a time.
But, put those modules into the main game and this "infinite" list of random numbers will be rapidly shorten to the point that the initial distribution curve of random numbers will be affect too drastically..

But don't worry, Notty must have already solved the problem. If the module works fine as a stand alone, she will make it work the same way in the main game. Just part of her final tuning process. :)
The easiest solution would seem to be to force a save and load to generate a new list. I don't know if that can be done seamlessly and that certainly isn't an elegant solution.

Oddball2k

Woof, woof, woof!
Donor
Jun 1, 2018
The easiest solution would seem to be to force a save and load to generate a new list. I don't know if that can be done seamlessly and that certainly isn't an elegant solution.
Brute force is not her coding style by default. I'm expecting for a more elegant and sophisticated solution from her, but it could be a first.. Something like a crunch time necessity, meebe..

Anyway, Chap5RS is coming soon with all the previous RS Chapters. For all the readers, stay tuned!!! :cool:

Joshy92

Conversation Conqueror
Mar 25, 2021
Brute force is not her coding style by default. I'm expecting for a more elegant and sophisticated solution from her, but it could be a first.. Something like a crunch time necessity, meebe..

Anyway, Chap5RS is coming soon with all the previous RS Chapters. For all the readers, stay tuned!!! :cool:
Thank you for keeping us in the loop.
I love this game and am looking forward to seeing my sweetie pie Chris again.

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017

Um, no, that's not it?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Putting aside CompSci flashbacks o_O, looking forward to Chapter5

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017
Remember being so excited in Jan-19 discovering the game. Used to check my patreon for updates constantly whereas now it is really depressing reading the latest monthly patreon delay update.
Wonder has the experienced project manager run off in exasperation.

Oddball2k

Woof, woof, woof!
Donor
Jun 1, 2018
Remember being so excited in Jan-19 discovering the game. Used to check my patreon for updates constantly whereas now it is really depressing reading the latest monthly patreon delay update.
Wonder has the experienced project manager run off in exasperation.
Don't fall apart so close to the end of this 23 months gap in the release production. Notty went through tough life challenges, physically and mentally, and also made tough decisions about Heavy Five.. Not because they were easy to do, but because they were hard to implement.

You do know how Heavy Five evolved, from a simple AVN in 2019, to an actual game with much better renders(characters and environment) and its prime feature: freeroam with navigation maps(sandbox).. Something that was inevitably needed in respect to the amount of possible choices!

Don't you think she is totally fed up working on Chap1R-4Rs?! Code-wise, this has been a nightmare but the animations and VA lately got her back into the highest possible mood spirit.
The Chapter5RS is in its final beta version, stable with all the previous RS chapters.. You shouldn't be depressed about that but more relived.

Heavy Five Chapter5RS is coming and it will be huge!

JD59

Jun 20, 2018
Don't you think she is totally fed up working on Chap1R-4Rs?! Code-wise, this has been a nightmare but the animations and VA lately got her back into the highest possible mood spirit.
The Chapter5RS is in its final beta version, stable with all the previous RS chapters.. You shouldn't be depressed about that but more relived.

How huge are we talking about, size wise ?

And as for the coding, I can relate when I was trying to become a web dev... Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, must work, from front-end to back-end. It is a living hell especially if it's a big project for a company. Working in IT is very difficult...

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
Don't fall apart so close to the end of this 23 months gap in the release production. Notty went through tough life challenges, physically and mentally, and also made tough decisions about Heavy Five.. Not because they were easy to do, but because they were hard to implement.

You do know how Heavy Five evolved, from a simple AVN in 2019, to an actual game with much better renders(characters and environment) and its prime feature: freeroam with navigation maps(sandbox).. Something that was inevitably needed in respect to the amount of possible choices!

Will the MC finally realise that her sister is a beauty and that she deserves some attention? :whistle:

• Thinking Face

WattsFU

Mar 26, 2023
Hi All!

Just found this game and would like to try it. Since above it's mentioned chapter 5 is coming which will include all previous chapters shall i wait for that? Or shall i download what's on the front page? Though i see chapter 1 & 2 is together with chapter 4 being a separate download but can't seem to see chapter 3. So not sure what to do. Probably best to wait till 5 and get everything together?

brody990

Jun 11, 2017
Hi All!

Just found this game and would like to try it. Since above it's mentioned chapter 5 is coming which will include all previous chapters shall i wait for that? Or shall i download what's on the front page? Though i see chapter 1 & 2 is together with chapter 4 being a separate download but can't seem to see chapter 3. So not sure what to do. Probably best to wait till 5 and get everything together?
Game is being remade. Chapter 4 includes the old version of chapters 1-4. Chapter 5 release will include the remastered chapters 1-5, just wait a couple weeks for the release.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes