Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Nice - slide to the rear, shell ejected, flash... better timing than most (tired of semi-auto renders with a muzzle flash and the slide is still all the way forward, or a shell ejecting and the slide is all the way forward - right up there with movies where an AR with a standard 20-round mag is fired in full auto for 30 seconds.
As if I'd get the details wrong... ;)

That's when they're using the "unlimited ammo" cheatcode... :mad:
It seems most screenwriters are better acquainted with weapons in videogames than irl.
*coughs and looks shifty*

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
Nice - slide to the rear, shell ejected, flash... better timing than most (tired of semi-auto renders with a muzzle flash and the slide is still all the way forward, or a shell ejecting and the slide is all the way forward - right up there with movies where an AR with a standard 20-round mag is fired in full auto for 30 seconds.
Aw, you just had to say something to force me to look at it in detail didn't you?

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
As an aside, there are those of us who aren't concerned about file size in the least. I get what you're trying to do, but is it worth it?
I simply have to crack either seperate chapter downloads or image size or else the project will fail.

One set of sex scenes with one character has added 400mb in Chapter Three. Imagine the size by Chapter Six when I have different scenes for different routes with different characters.

And although some people are fine with large sizes even they might blanche at, say, an 8gb download at the halfway mark.

Ultimately if, by size, I make this game inaccessible to people they won't play it sadly.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I simply have to crack either seperate chapter downloads or image size or else the project will fail.

One set of sex scenes with one character has added 400mb in Chapter Three. Imagine the size by Chapter Six when I have different scenes for different routes with different characters.

And although some people are fine with large sizes even they might blanche at, say, an 8gb download at the halfway mark.

Ultimately if, by size, I make this game inaccessible to people they won't play it sadly.
A lot of people on this here board often offer unofficial compressed versions and I almost never see any difference with the uncompressed one (ok, I don't have a huge screen either). And they usually do it very fast. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask them if they haven't got some kind of regex or something to do it so fast? Also, I'm thinking about Belle, the Long Live the Princess' dev, who offer directly the compressed version of the VN.

I guess you thought about this already, but if it helps.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
I will typically download the compressed version on most games that are over 2GB in size. I download the game via MEGA (i assume most others here do too) , which has a cap (i think its 5GB in a day?) if you dont have an account so you would need to take that into consideration.

Can probably do what other devs do, like Blucat with Ecchi Sensei who releases the game in separate chapters (all 3 chapters so far are around a combined 10 GB, not including specials).

Reactions: Nottravis

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017

Notty, this is not an immediate issue.

At this point for this particular part of the game the size is acceptable. It's what, something over 2 GB without compressing the animations? Yes, it's not sustainable in the long run, but that can be worked out along the way.

You can always post new links for Chapter Three once the size issue is sorted out. I mean you did that for Chapter One, why would that be different now?

There is no valid reason not to release Chapter Three if everything is working except bringing the size down. Especially after all the hard work you put into this. You deserve to see the fruits of all that. I don't think you would find a single patron that given choice would opt not to get a working Chapter Three just because it's a bit bigger than what would be ideal.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
I would opt to get a version the creator is happy with.

It is ready when it is ready and it takes as long as it takes.
Don't get me wrong, I always told Notty exactly that. To take as much time as needed for her to be happy with it.

But this is different. It's not something in the game itself. It's not a set that takes too long to render or a wrong lip gloss. Whether the size is 1 GB or 3 GB it plays exactly the same.

It's not about me. I don't mind, if I don't get the update this month. I won't ask for a refund. I worry that this will be a setback for her. One that is absolutely not necessary and easily avoidable. :(

umberto

Aug 19, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I always told Notty exactly that. To take as much time as needed for her to be happy with it.

But this is different. It's not something in the game itself. It's not a set that takes too long to render or a wrong lip gloss. Whether the size is 1 GB or 3 GB it plays exactly the same.

It's not about me. I don't mind, if I don't get the update this month. I won't ask for a refund. I worry that this will be a setback for her. One that is absolutely not necessary and easily avoidable. :(
Yeah I get it. But I would argue that functioning and ready aren't necessarily mutually inclusive states. If size is an issue, it will have to be addressed at some point. Might as well iron the kinks out early. Especially if one of the remaining options is compressing all the images in the game, like she said.

Reactions: Nottravis

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Yeah I get it. But I would argue that functioning and ready aren't necessarily mutually inclusive states. If size is an issue, it will have to be addressed at some point. Might as well iron the kinks out early. And if one of the remaining options is compressing all the images in the game, like she said, it's probably best to do it before more are added.
It can be worked out next week. While the Chapter 3 is out. I honestly don't see any drawbacks in this approach.

umberto

Aug 19, 2017
It can be worked out next week. While the Chapter 3 is out. I honestly don't see any drawbacks in this approach.
Yeah, it's a completely fair viewpoint. We're quibbling over minutiae, really.

Most likely my fault for being the inflexible sort of person who finds presenting something with the knowledge that I'll have to go back and fix it pretty abhorrent.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes