PowerDildos

May 30, 2017
*gets us back on track with a spoiler image*
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Just going to break up this serious discussion with some comedic relief that no one will understand.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Many valid points brought up though, though I think I'm leaning towards what Akamari is saying here. I'd probably get to crunching on proper solutions to the file size issue after the chapter is posted if it is more or less feature complete already, and then apply any solutions afterwards. Then wait with developing chapter 4 until the issue has been solved in an acceptable manner.

pay.nl

Jul 7, 2017
Most likely my fault for being the inflexible sort of person who finds presenting something with the knowledge that I'll have to go back and fix it pretty abhorrent.
You should go back in time, get your J.D. from Harvard, and then immediately become my legal counsel upon graduation so that I'm not stuck with the clueless asshole squadron that I have now.

I don't think it's wrong to suggest that Notty release the game and then fix everything after the fact. As my friends in the adult film industry say: "everything can be fixed in post." The game is still quite young and wouldn't stress my gig-speed internet in the slightest, but I'd be willing to guess that most people in the civilized world could also handle this update. It's also a great opportunity to push a very high quality product on a weekend.

However, I'm also not paying her, so my opinion doesn't mean shit. If the Patrons are peasants with DSL, then the paying customer cums first. I also believe that, if I were getting paid like $500/mo for my passion, creativity, and virtually all of my free time, then I'd absolutely want to do it my way.

As long as there is space adventure, depravity, and blackmail, then I'm fully on board with whatever decision is made. The only decision I'm against is someone actually taking Notty up on the refund, 'cause fuck anyone who can't handle a small delay.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Gents,

You'll forgive me I trust for not making any individual answers as I'm trying to stay away from my keyboard this weekend to refresh and recharge the old batteries, so I wish to keep this somewhat brief. However, my spider sense was tingling and I didn't want any disagreements between your good selves to impact upon this somewhat happier part of the internet.

I thank you for you council and advice on the matter of size and Chapter Three, and you all make perfectly valid points. Nothing said is factually incorrect and indeed I can fully appreciate why my decision may seem silly, if not ludicrous.

After all, the chapter -is- done. Bug free and ready to go. Releasing it now would be commercially correct in that only would I not be putting my existing patron funds at risk of refunds but I would also be able to release Chapter Two for free, which would gain me more exposure. Especially, when one considers how much better (at least in my opinion) Two was to One. And as for Three to Two the leap is even greater.

So why aren't I?

Because, yes it would take the pressure off me; yes it would be safeguard my funds and yes it would indeed gain me more exposure here and elsewhere which could lead to more patrons - but, it wouldn't be fair to do so. It wouldn't be fair to those patrons who would struggle with the massive download. I can not in good conscience release a game that not all my patrons can play. It's as simple as that.

This is of course partly my fault in that I use so many graphics of course. I could, as some do, use a smaller frame size or make more use of static or more reusable images. Did I really need (and forgive me, I'm guessing slightly here as I really don't want to open Renpy again this weekend) thirty odd images for Chris and the MC to walk to the station in Two, or indeed the sixty odd for drinks with Annie? So near a hundred images for just two out of the thirteen scenes in that chapter. Did I need to do that? Perhaps not. Hell, probably not. But it wouldn't be the same experience or game if I hadn't...(side-eye anyone?)

And since that isn't likely to change, you can perhaps appreciate my slight obsession with size (no! not like that! Pervs ;) ). Ultimately, I have faith in cracking the individual chapter download issue. I've cracked the code and script part, I just need to stop it overwriting the graphics files with just the current chapters. But I haven't managed that for chapter three and hence my focus on the animation.

You are of course fully entitled to disagree with my viewpoint. It is, after all a matter of judgement and not subject to facts. But ultimately, rightly or wrongly, it's my call.

See you later next week when the Chapter comes out. Stay lucky!

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Someone should have told Bethesda that, with their 52 GB day one patch heh....
Was that before or after they deleted the game from your hard drive? Oh yeah, both! :rolleyes:
I thank you for you council and advice on the matter of size...
and they say size doesn't matter... :whistle:

Here's hoping a full size one is an option as well. ;)
Have you tried webp format?

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
You are of course fully entitled to disagree with my viewpoint. It is, after all a matter of judgement and not subject to facts. But ultimately, rightly or wrongly, it's my call.
Short answer:
Yes - Snoop.gif

However:
Releasing it now would be commercially correct in that only would I not be putting my existing patron funds at risk of refunds but I would also be able to release Chapter Two for free, which would gain me more exposure.
If I may, I'd propose releasing chapter 2 this weekend anyway, so that non-patrons would enjoy it, as for them the release date of chapter 3 is of no immediate consequence, and that would relieve some of the pressure you might feel.

PowerDildos

May 30, 2017

You have my full faith in you when it comes to these decisions, and I wish you the best of luck in slaying the gigabyte dragon.

Reactions: TheDevian

tioafa4

Jul 12, 2018
I recall reading elsewhere on these boards that Ren'Py actually has a patching function for situations like this, but that it isn't much used because you need a server to host it and that's generally out of the price range for indie devs. It does perhaps seem like a business opportunity for some enterprising pervert who's already running a bunch of servers anyway.

Antiochus

Jun 21, 2017
@Nottravis

Got this from the author of DA here on f95. While I havn't used it on my in dev game yet, it looks like the way to go. It proven and logical.

Great game by the way.

-----

In options.rpy

init python:
## The following functions take file patterns. File patterns are case-
## insensitive, and matched against the path relative to the base directory,
## with and without a leading /. If multiple patterns match, the first is
## used.
##
## In a pattern:
##
## / is the directory separator.
##
## * matches all characters, except the directory separator.
##
## ** matches all characters, including the directory separator.
##
## For example, "*.txt" matches txt files in the base directory, "game/
## **.ogg" matches ogg files in the game directory or any of its
## subdirectories, and "**.psd" matches psd files anywhere in the project.

## Classify files as None to exclude them from the built distributions.

build.classify('**~', None)
build.classify('**.bak', None)
build.classify('**/.**', None)
build.classify('**/#**', None)
build.classify('**/thumbs.db', None)
build.classify('game/**.rpy', None)

## To archive files, classify them as 'archive'.

#build.archive("scripts", "all")
#build.archive("archive", "all")

#build.classify('game/**.png', 'archive')
#build.classify('game/**.jpg', 'archive')

#build.classify("game/**.rpy", "scripts")
#build.classify("game/**.rpyc", "scripts")

#CUSTOM Start
#Setup individual rpas for scripts shared audio and chapter images.
# This will be the files inside the game folder that are created
build.archive("scripts", "all")
build.archive("shared", "all")
build.archive("audio", "all")
build.archive("chapters1_7", "all")
build.archive("chapter8", "all")

# shared assets. We take all the assets from game/gui and place it into the shared rpa.
build.classify('game/gui/**.png', 'shared')
build.classify('game/gui/**.jpg', 'shared')
build.classify('game/gui/**.webp', 'shared')

# common images are also stored in the shared rpa
build.classify('game/images/common/**.png', 'shared')
build.classify('game/images/common/**.jpg', 'shared')
build.classify('game/images/common/**.webp', 'shared')

# i put any custom fonts i have into the shared rpa
build.classify('game/fonts/**.ttf', 'shared')

#audio Take all music and sound effects and place them into the audio rpa
build.classify('game/music/**.ogg', 'audio')
build.classify('game/music/**.mp3', 'audio')

build.classify('game/effects/**.ogg', 'audio')
build.classify('game/effects/**.mp3', 'audio')

#images. I set this up so that all images from before i started doing this are placed into an rpa called chapters1_7. I removed 2 to 6 in this example so its readable
build.classify('game/images/chapter1/**.png', 'chapters1_7')
build.classify('game/images/chapter1/**.jpg', 'chapters1_7')
build.classify('game/images/chapter1/**.webm', 'chapters1_7')

# i removed chapters 2 to 6 for brevity.

build.classify('game/images/chapter7/**.png', 'chapters1_7')
build.classify('game/images/chapter7/**.jpg', 'chapters1_7')
build.classify('game/images/chapter7/**.webm', 'chapters1_7')

# Now for chapter 8 I add all images to the chapter8.rpa file. Remember i deckared this at the very start. You would make a chapter9 and so forth as you continue.
build.classify('game/images/chapter8/**.png', 'chapter8')
build.classify('game/images/chapter8/**.jpg', 'chapter8')
build.classify('game/images/chapter8/**.webm', 'chapter8')

# all images from the scene gallery i placed in shared.
build.classify('game/images/gallery/**.png', 'shared')
build.classify('game/images/gallery/**.jpg', 'shared')
build.classify('game/images/gallery/**.webm', 'shared')

# All script files in the entire games folder
build.classify('game/*.rpyc', 'scripts')
build.classify('game/chapter2/*.rpyc', 'scripts')
build.classify('game/chapter3/*.rpyc', 'scripts')
build.classify('game/chapter4/*.rpyc', 'scripts')
build.classify('game/chapter5/*.rpyc', 'scripts')
build.classify('game/chapter6/*.rpyc', 'scripts')
build.classify('game/chapter7/*.rpyc', 'scripts')
build.classify('game/chapter8/*.rpyc', 'scripts')

After you set this up when u do a build in repny it will create those files. So a patch you would use the script.rpa file and the images for that chapter.rpa file, such as chapter8.rpa. If you added any sound effects or gui elements then u would also include the shared.

This way i can make a patch. Its just scripts.rpa. audio.rpa chapter8.rpa. No need to download all the other stuff. They then take those files and place them into the game directory.

sabadongelov

Aug 21, 2018
And since that isn't likely to change, you can perhaps appreciate my slight obsession with size (no! not like that! Pervs ;) ).
Well, let's hope you do have that kind of obsession too, as Annie has already alluded to size being an issue and we wouldn't want to disappoint her, now would we? :D

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
Gents,

You'll forgive me I trust for not making any individual answers as I'm trying to stay away from my keyboard this weekend to refresh and recharge the old batteries, so I wish to keep this somewhat brief. However, my spider sense was tingling and I didn't want any disagreements between your good selves to impact upon this somewhat happier part of the internet.

I thank you for you council and advice on the matter of size and Chapter Three, and you all make perfectly valid points. Nothing said is factually incorrect and indeed I can fully appreciate why my decision may seem silly, if not ludicrous.

After all, the chapter -is- done. Bug free and ready to go. Releasing it now would be commercially correct in that only would I not be putting my existing patron funds at risk of refunds but I would also be able to release Chapter Two for free, which would gain me more exposure. Especially, when one considers how much better (at least in my opinion) Two was to One. And as for Three to Two the leap is even greater.

So why aren't I?

Because, yes it would take the pressure off me; yes it would be safeguard my funds and yes it would indeed gain me more exposure here and elsewhere which could lead to more patrons - but, it wouldn't be fair to do so. It wouldn't be fair to those patrons who would struggle with the massive download. I can not in good conscience release a game that not all my patrons can play. It's as simple as that.

This is of course partly my fault in that I use so many graphics of course. I could, as some do, use a smaller frame size or make more use of static or more reusable images. Did I really need (and forgive me, I'm guessing slightly here as I really don't want to open Renpy again this weekend) thirty odd images for Chris and the MC to walk to the station in Two, or indeed the sixty odd for drinks with Annie? So near a hundred images for just two out of the thirteen scenes in that chapter. Did I need to do that? Perhaps not. Hell, probably not. But it wouldn't be the same experience or game if I hadn't...(side-eye anyone?)

And since that isn't likely to change, you can perhaps appreciate my slight obsession with size (no! not like that! Pervs ;) ). Ultimately, I have faith in cracking the individual chapter download issue. I've cracked the code and script part, I just need to stop it overwriting the graphics files with just the current chapters. But I haven't managed that for chapter three and hence my focus on the animation.

Notty I have set a limit of 20 gb pet update.. You can safely play with big stuff before you hear me complain

Reactions: Akamari
4.10 star(s) 64 Votes