• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Oh I would never, ever, lock content. Ever! It's a shocking practice. The story is the story etc. ACIO is purely about the sexual content you get with me. You may have noticed when playing I try to put lots of gates in (backed up by the MC's thoughts) to ensure you don't get a scene you don't want. It's why I'm surprised when some peeps go "Aaaargh, I didn't want that" to which I wonder if they can read.

The only thing I even come close to doing that with is the bonus extra's. Bored Pilot etc
I agree that a writer should not lock content and should warn preferably when dark content is coming and makes it avoidable within the context of the game if possible. But when a scene even if disturbing is a part of the framework of the story you are telling in your eyes as a writer it should be in, whether I am happy about that or not. :p

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
These guys don't show me any respect anyway so I don't see why you should be more well mannered than the usual crowd ;)
Our love and adoration isn't enough, now she wants R.E.S.P.E.C.T.?!?!
...find out what it means to me?
But my own 2p's worth without reading all the discussion is that it is never OK to break the rules. Never.
"Rules, like traitors, were made to be broken!"
...you just have to know, when, where, and how.
You all know, for you are an intelligent and discerning crowd, that there is something iffy going on in this game. I've given you enough information to know that, for example. You also know that "bad ends" can indeed happen pace Chapter One. So should something bad go down at some point (and if it does it would also be as a result of your choices) you know it's already in the air. It wouldn't be a surprise now would it?
Back to the old days of adventure games where they would literally let you walk off a cliff.
That's like

Absolutely. No one should ever complain about anything bad happening. A fair game (in all meanings of the words that I can think of).:)
I don't have a problem with bad things happening, when it is the result of options, and making the right choices can avoid them. It bothers men when there is no way around it.

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
But my own 2p's worth without reading all the discussion is that it is never OK to break the rules. Never. My own view, and it is just a view of course, is that you have a set framework of a world for the player to play in and you have to play fair.
That's in the line of something I posted somewhere on these forums (too lazy to look up my own post :p ).
BAD developers run out of ideas, look through the requests, and then go around asking "do you want me to add X/Y/Z?".
GOOD developers already have a plan for the game all the way to the final chapter, and IF someone makes a radical suggestion that the developer actually likes, but which falls outside the scope of the current plans, the good developer takes note and considers it for his/her NEXT game, but NEVER for the current.

Currently, there are some big discussions going on about NTR. And one of the complaints is with developers adding it halfway the development process "because some people asked it and it won the poll that was open to literally everyone and his dog."
About a year ago, the exact same discussions took place about futa content, and the exact same thing was happening back then.
Same thing happened with gay content, same thing happened with BDSM (in various variations, upto vore..).

It's quite tempting for a developer to give in, and maybe attract a bigger audience. But, there will always be loyal members of your current audience who feel betrayed. And even those who like or don't care about the change subconciously deem you untrustworthy. On top of that, the game as a whole becomes inconsistent, the addition just won't mesh right without redoing the entire project from scratch. So whatever it is: stick to the plan, save new stuff for the next game.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
"Aaaargh, I didn't want that" to which I wonder if they can read.
Yep, those are hopeless. Short of having warnings bodypainted on the girls I doubt anything can be done about that.

These types were actually one of the reasons why I decided to make the walkthrough. That's possibly all their reading capacity can take, so maybe some of them can enjoy the game with just pictures and the walkthrough. At least it could lower the amount of those that come complaining (or so I thought).

frap

Oct 17, 2018
... stick to the plan, save new stuff for the next game.
The big point there being, have a plan before you begin.

I'm working on a project that probably won't see the light of day for another year or more - but I'm actively writing it and squirreling away cash for a render machine. When I do start rendering and putting a final product together the entire story (and all paths) will be written, and the only slow-down at that point will be rendering.

If I'm remembering correctly, that's pretty much what Notty's been doing with H5. The story's already set in stone, and the rest is the rendering.

What this means for me is, I can start writing on another project while one is rendering (if the one doesn't kill me - and I already know what it will be). I believe that's what Notty may be doing re: the Scarlet Pirate game - she's plotting and writing now, while rendering H5. The bonus for all of us is: another Notty game close on the heels of the finish of H5! :D

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
The only thing I even come close to doing that with is the bonus extra's. Bored Pilot etc
Those of us that back at the level for the extras know full well what we are getting!
*LAUGHS HARD!*
Something else may be coming soon too; Thea may have gotten herself into all sorts of erm, stuff. :whistle: ;)

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah that is the point you should not just add cause of requests, but you also should not take out parts of the story, since you might offend some people. Both are in a way equally as bad, the only thing we can ask of a writer is to tell the story they want to tell. Up to us then if we wish to follow that story or not.

Besides how could you ever think that might lead to Chris wanting to dominate you, completely a surprise. :p

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
but I'm actively writing it and squirreling away cash for a render machine.
The good news is, you don't really need a beast of a render machine (like some try to make you believe at the DAZ forums). Notty's been rendering on a 4 or 5 year old videocard. A few months ago, I was actually rendering on my CPU, which is REALLY slow. Don't bother with SLI, everything points to NVidia phasing it out anyway. A new RTX2080Ti is better than an RTX2070, yes. But that 2070 which costs less than half as much is sufficiently fast for most people (including professionals!) already.
It's probably more beneficial to already start rendering "fun stuff" (I render backgrounds for my mobile phone, for example). Getting nice lighting can be really hard, so do practice already! Working out how to make your own poses (much cheaper than buying them), how to make clothes fit properly (especially clothes for other model generations), there's a lot to figure out before you want to publish something.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
The big point there being, have a plan before you begin.

I'm working on a project that probably won't see the light of day for another year or more - but I'm actively writing it and squirreling away cash for a render machine. When I do start rendering and putting a final product together the entire story (and all paths) will be written, and the only slow-down at that point will be rendering.

If I'm remembering correctly, that's pretty much what Notty's been doing with H5. The story's already set in stone, and the rest is the rendering.

What this means for me is, I can start writing on another project while one is rendering (if the one doesn't kill me - and I already know what it will be). I believe that's what Notty may be doing re: the Scarlet Pirate game - she's plotting and writing now, while rendering H5. The bonus for all of us is: another Notty game close on the heels of the finish of H5! :D
Yeah, I am in much the same boat, been working on things for months, and if I am luck, I might have something to show for it by the end of the year.
My last story took me 3 years before I published the first chapter, and then several months of editing.
Yeah that is the point you should not just add cause of requests, but you also should not take out parts of the story, since you might offend some people. Both are in a way equally as bad, the only thing we can ask of a writer is to tell the story they want to tell. Up to us then if we wish to follow that story or not.

Besides how could you ever think that might lead to Chris wanting to dominate you, completely a surprise. :p
Tell the story you want to tell, and the right audience will find you.

Chris dominating someone?!? Parish the thought!

Reactions: DA22 and Akamari

frap

Oct 17, 2018
The good news is, you don't really need a beast of a render machine (like some try to make you believe at the DAZ forums). Notty's been rendering on a 4 or 5 year old videocard. A few months ago, I was actually rendering on my CPU, which is REALLY slow. Don't bother with SLI, everything points to NVidia phasing it out anyway. A new RTX2080Ti is better than an RTX2070, yes. But that 2070 which costs less than half as much is sufficiently fast for most people (including professionals!) already.
It's probably more beneficial to already start rendering "fun stuff" (I render backgrounds for my mobile phone, for example). Getting nice lighting can be really hard, so do practice already! Working out how to make your own poses (much cheaper than buying them), how to make clothes fit properly (especially clothes for other model generations), there's a lot to figure out before you want to publish something.
Oh, I'm playing with it lots. I've already got the models sorted - took lots of tweaking from available models to get what I wanted. I'm working on poses and lighting as I go - although rendering strictly CPU (on a Mac) so anything more than 2 characters (no background) and I can forget it. Trying to render an entire scene (background, emissive light sources, etc) I can let it go all night long and only have a grainy mess that might pass for a "magic eye" print.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Oh, I'm playing with it lots. I've already got the models sorted - took lots of tweaking from available models to get what I wanted. I'm working on poses and lighting as I go - although rendering strictly CPU (on a Mac) so anything more than 2 characters (no background) and I can forget it. Trying to render an entire scene (background, emissive light sources, etc) I can let it go all night long and only have a grainy mess that might pass for a "magic eye" print.
You could try rendering the elements separately and then use an image editor (gimp, photoshop, paint.net) to merge the renders. For example: each character on a transparent layer, then the scenery. Only issue would be the lighting...

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes