Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Ah my dear somebodynobody, I can always rely on you :)

I confess I dread seeing you having commented on the notifications sometimes as you have the most wonderful critical eye, yet you do it so well, it's like having a second "me" looking over my shoulder and so I always welcome it in equal measure :)

But there is always that "Damn what did I miss?". Thankfully, this time I didn't. You are, as usual, quite right in that "where the fuck is that light coming from?" as a point. Primarily I needed the Intrepid illumination fore for artistic reasons of course. Y'know, so people could see the bloody thing :) But, although there might be a slight fast and loose play with physics, Mr Akamari nailed it....

Which is entirely the sequence :)

View attachment 404502

So the light I'm using to light forward is the bounce back of Ophion. As I say a tad fast and loose, but at least there is a rationale and perhaps an understandable flexing.
Oh and -this- is what it replaces....

launch10.jpg

A different sodding level altogether.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Mr Akamari
Well, it's an upgrade from a scamp I suppose...:D

Now to figure out how to achieve the "dear" level... :unsure:

View attachment 404502

So the light I'm using to light forward is the bounce back of Ophion. As I say a tad fast and loose, but at least there is a rationale and perhaps an understandable flexing.
Awesome! I really like the new Ophion look too! Much, much better!:love:

Last edited:

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Oh God you did, sorry. Getting a bit render-happy I think, plus my mind is wandering as I plan the fucking mother of all rebuttals after seeing the lies, misrepresentations and slander on here today. But that is of course for tomorrow. :)
No worries.:)

Also, I don't think there is much of a need for a rebuttal in this case. Some people can be receptive to reasonable explanations, some can't.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
No worries.:)

Also, I don't think there is much of a need for a rebuttal in this case. Some people can be receptive to reasonable explanations, some can't.
Agreed, and we wouldn't want our lady Notty to get a warning... that might scupper her chances of getting on the carousel on the main page One of the conditions was worded something like "a friendly dev" or a dev that doesn't abuse followers, some shit like that :whistle:

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Agreed, and we wouldn't want our lady Notty to get a warning... that might scupper her chances of getting on the carousel on the main page One of the conditions was worded something like "a friendly dev" or a dev that doesn't abuse followers, some shit like that :whistle:
I wouldn't worry about that. I think Notty's rebuttal would rank high in the list of most polite rebuttals. :)

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself is that bullshit I smell.....
Stop making poetry in the bathroom. :ROFLMAO:
Ah my dear somebodynobody, I can always rely on you :)

I confess I dread seeing you having commented on the notifications sometimes as you have the most wonderful critical eye, yet you do it so well, it's like having a second "me" looking over my shoulder and so I always welcome it in equal measure :)

But there is always that "Damn what did I miss?". Thankfully, this time I didn't. You are, as usual, quite right in that "where the fuck is that light coming from?" as a point. Primarily I needed the Intrepid illumination fore for artistic reasons of course. Y'know, so people could see the bloody thing :) But, although there might be a slight fast and loose play with physics, Mr Akamari nailed it....

View attachment 404502

That is prettier with the shadows covering half the planet, plus it doesn't look like the Intrepid is in low orbit above Ophion but instead just passing by in a close approach.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Did you spot the name of the moon tho.... It's in sight but mebbe not where you'd expect :)
Ah! I think I understand now what you thought I was hinting at. Yes, I noticed Ophion's appearance where it hadn't been before as well, but it was indeed the moon that excited me.;)

I can't help but praise the way you approach the remaster to the stars. You could have just lighted the scenes better and rendered them as they were without overlaying. Instead you go much further and meticulously improve renders to details you don't even think anyone would spot. I suspect that's the fun part in it for you, isn't it? Not just improving the renders mechanically, but creatively as well. I think you'll be one day (and that day isn't far off) as good an artist as you're a writer. Top-nottch.:)

I don't give a damn how long the remaster will take, it's thrilling to watch what you can do.:)

Sinphil

Nov 15, 2018
Oh God you did, sorry. Getting a bit render-happy I think, plus my mind is wandering as I plan the fucking mother of all rebuttals after seeing the lies, misrepresentations and slander on here today. But that is of course for tomorrow. :)

Defo time for beddies for me if I'm getting confused!
I know I a no name red shirt but just don't get me in the crossfire. I already winged once.

frap

Oct 17, 2018
I'll read and respond to comments all in one go tomorrow. As of now I'm still seeking further intelligent and informed views on my post.

However, in the meantime I've remained busy. :)

View attachment 404276

vs

View attachment 404278

...and the major characters (so far...) "talk boxes". They need a little bit of tweaking but still a damned sight better than what we have now I think :)

View attachment 404285

Not settled on the C7 and VR chars background yet.

See you tomorrow for fun and frolics I'm sure. Laters!
Very nice... however, still kind of thrown that the Ensigns have silver bars like a Lt JG rather than butter bars, but I guess ya' use what ya' got, neh?

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Very nice... however, still kind of thrown that the Ensigns have silver bars like a Lt JG rather than butter bars, but I guess ya' use what ya' got, neh?
You're right of course. Oddly enough it was a design choice tbh. Making the Ensign bars gold would have been a cinch really but at the start I didn't really expect my audience to be so well informed - indeed the opposite given the usual slice of life games that make up the genre. So my design choice was influenced by having something that said clearly who was the more important rank visually.

Two bars are obvs more important than one but I thought if I started using different colours as well that could muddy the waters especially with gold, usually, being more important than silver. In my head cannon I just imagine that the two lowest officer ranks are merged with the lowest tier now represented by a years probation.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
That is prettier with the shadows covering half the planet, plus it doesn't look like the Intrepid is in low orbit above Ophion but instead just passing by in a close approach.
Thanks. Yep. my thoughts exactly - and, of course, since that's what's meant to be happening per the dialogue, it represents it a bit better too! :)

Ah! I think I understand now what you thought I was hinting at. Yes, I noticed Ophion's appearance where it hadn't been before as well, but it was indeed the moon that excited me.;)
Aye, I thought it would be hard enough for people to spot Ophion on the board let alone anything else! So tired brain popped the first one.

I can't help but praise the way you approach the remaster to the stars. You could have just lighted the scenes better and rendered them as they were without overlaying. Instead you go much further and meticulously improve renders to details you don't even think anyone would spot. I suspect that's the fun part in it for you, isn't it? Not just improving the renders mechanically, but creatively as well. I think you'll be one day (and that day isn't far off) as good an artist as you're a writer. Top-nottch.:)
Thanks :) Well, if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it properly, no? :)

I'll confess you are on to something about the fun part tho. Obs there is a certain amount of "professional pride" in what can I do to make the render better or less "off the shelf" and there is that element of what else can I do to make it more realistic each time - but there is, indeed, part of me that as I do does have a sly cackle over "Well, no bugger will ever find that!"...and then they do! :) Almost a game within a game within a game :)

I don't give a damn how long the remaster will take, it's thrilling to watch what you can do.:)
*laughs* Well, I'm glad you're finding it interesting at least :) But the quicker it's out the happier I'll be as I really want to get my writing head back on. THAT's the real fun part for me.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Who says Kelly should be red? might green not be more her color?
Actually......that prompts a thought.

On diffo colours for names....do I need them? They feel a bit of a legacy nod to VN's where everyone has different colours for the lines of dialogue. Given the new boxes....do they just look silly or are they still needed/useful?

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
So you are telling me I can not have sexy time with her without Chris and the army trying to blueball me? Woe is me. :eek:

Edit: I move for an immediate field promotion for both Karen and Annie. They deserve it. :p
Sadly poor old Karen is off the menu, full stop. The player never gets to meet her. Well, unless she hits BP of course.

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Actually......that prompts a thought.

On diffo colours for names....do I need them? They feel a bit of a legacy nod to VN's where everyone has different colours for the lines of dialogue. Given the new boxes....do they just look silly or are they still needed/useful?
Useful yes, helps distinguish between people easier. Unless you're colorblind. Needed, no. It's just a convenience thing. Might help people's brains click a fraction of a second faster or something.

AS for looking silly, depends on people and the game.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes