VN Ren'Py Abandoned Heir Apparent [v.0.02] [SilkandMilkProductions]

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Most people knew this would happen. I've been keeping an eye on his Patreon with the new month starting and he lost around $100 of support. Any goodwill he had with the update was flushed down the toilet with his obvious cash grab messages. This game isn't gonna see another update.
I am surprised he got even $1 of support, honestly, with his transactional attitude. If he wants a strictly transactional relationship with his fans, he needs to complete the game, all the way to the end, and then sell it for $10 or $20 a copy just like many game developers. To ask for thousands of dollars a month, so he "might", if he feels like it, work on the next update (not even promise to finish the game), is not going to get $0.01 of my support.

Last edited:

Freki.g

Jun 10, 2020
I am surprised he got even $1 of support, honestly, with his transactional attitude. If he wants a strictly transactional relationship with his fans, he needs to complete the game, all the way to the end, and then sell it for $10 or $20 a copy just like many game developers. To ask for thousands of dollars a month, so he "might", if he feels like it, work on the next update (not even promise to finish the game), is not going to get $0.01 of my support.
If this policy is done, the maximum from this sector would be obtained, unfortunately there are many with their support encourage the proliferation of specialized smoking sellers that take advantage of this type of market.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Meanwhile the dev decided to threaten his paying Patreons: "If support is going down instead of up, unfortunately we all know what this means ... i'll give it a while longer." (Supporting Patreons got this message by mail)

My personal thumbs up! Trying hard to win the "BIGGEST ASSHOLE on planet" award ...
The post is public on patreon. Some of his comment :

- "why not just do it as a hobby and slowly updated as and when?"
- "I work and freelance on the side. It would take too long between updates. I can only commit if enough people commit in supporting it."

- "the only way creators develop a really large following is by gradually plugging away, generating goodwill, and very slowly growing a large network of support."
- "Did that last time. Turned opportunities away to keep chugging along. Barely broke even after seven releases."

So if you expect another update...

Reactions: Xumeey

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
"Did that last time. Turned opportunities away to keep chugging along. Barely broke even after seven releases."
Well, he should definitely take some of those opportunities. He doesn't have the character and personality of a game developer. He should stick to his day job.

A game developer has to actually enjoy what they are doing, and be happy with whatever support they get. Silk and Milk seems to not realize that there are many other games out there, many superior to Heir Apparent and his previous game, and people want to support developers with a good attitude and that seem to like their fans.

If all a developer does is complain that he doesn't get enough support, instead of working on the game and actually building support, he will fail, as Silk and Milk has done already.

Freki.g

Jun 10, 2020
Well, he should definitely take some of those opportunities. He doesn't have the character and personality of a game developer. He should stick to his day job.

A game developer has to actually enjoy what they are doing, and be happy with whatever support they get. Silk and Milk seems to not realize that there are many other games out there, many superior to Heir Apparent and his previous game, and people want to support developers with a good attitude and that seem to like their fans.

If all a developer does is complain that he doesn't get enough support, instead of working on the game and actually building support, he will fail, as Silk and Milk has done already.
Unfortunately this is not the case, because there are devs out there who have milked for years and continue to do so, not to mention those who change their names and start a new milking cycle.
It means that they exploit this type of business supported by deluded poor who allow it.
Utopia to think that everyone can think correctly like you.

Reactions: dokodesuka

wpasn416203

Aug 3, 2021
Developer: Silk&MILKProductions.

Is there anything else to say? Seriously? Why do people expect something different?

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
A lot of developers would be pretty happy with breaking even. It's clear he doesn't actually like making games, he saw this as a chance to make money. Hypothetically, if he got support and another higher income job came up he'd abandon the game anyway to focus on that instead.

This guy has the worst attitude. Many developers take a long time between updates, some of them even make mediocre games, yet people support them anyway. Why? Because they like them.

Fans will let developers get away with a lot of stuff. Not sure if holding a game hostage and blackmailing for support is included in that though.

Something that hasn't been mentioned, but one of the public post responses on patreon mentioned cross promotion. That's a really good way to grow, odds are most people support multiple games if they support one game. But no developer will have anything to do with this guy. Toxicity.

This is a 101 Masterclass on what NOT to do as a developer. I'll at least give him credit for being honest about it. He isn't stringing anyone along, he is repelling them with a flamethrower.

dokodesuka

Mar 13, 2020
Renders looks beautiful but what is this game about?.. Story wise I mean, cause I don't see any overview
It doesn't matter anyway the game will be abandoned soon.
So basically we should force others to have to download and play the game just to know what it's about, wasting not only your time when you first played it, but also the other person's time? Great use of your time man

LOSTBOY7 I haven't played it yet and I'm also curious. There's some hints in the reviews section, but not much: https://f95zone.to/threads/heir-apparent-v-0-01-silkandmilkproductions.87863/br-reviews

Reactions: Freki.g
Jun 28, 2020
A lot of developers would be pretty happy with breaking even. It's clear he doesn't actually like making games, he saw this as a chance to make money. Hypothetically, if he got support and another higher income job came up he'd abandon the game anyway to focus on that instead.
I remember reading him saying he will calculate the time he spends on devving a/c to how much he gets paid. A far better, more reasonable, and just plain more normal way to phrase that might have been - 'going to be straight with y'all, man's gotta eat, got other stuff going on, can only promise updates twice/thrice yearly unless I get paid enough to do this full-time, anyway thanks bunches for being lovely to me'.

Instead he had to go and tell the people already supporting him 'here is a detailed analysis of why your support doesn't really matter lol'.

Sorrow85

Engaged Member
Feb 17, 2020

If support is going down instead of up, unfortunately we all know what that means....
I'll give it a while longer.

-----------

I've waited as long as I can and now I'm booked out for most of August. Refunds have been issued to everybody. It can take 5-7 business days to process. We'll try again next month...

---------
Oh my lord.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Freki.g

Jun 10, 2020

If support is going down instead of up, unfortunately we all know what that means....

-----------

I've waited as long as I can and now I'm booked out for most of August. Refunds have been issued to everybody. It can take 5-7 business days to process. We'll try again next month...

---------
Oh my lord.

It is a cowardly blackmail, even stupid considering the competition from devs (many even better than him) who with patience await the success they deserve.
Obviously, obtaining a suitable financial amount for one's work is important, but it must come above all from his passion and not from the thirst for money (at the limit they can be an extra stimulus).
Of course, if it is ignored, it can always present itself with different appearances, but in the meantime I put it in the oblivion.

Cena2001

May 12, 2021
Wtf is wrong with the developer
How can you expect to earn lots of money
Just by releasing a single update

But what's more annoying is
He will not work on the game if he don't have enough support for a month
Come how can you expect to get money if you don't work

onionhead

Jan 26, 2018
I do understand they have great resources to make great game (well at least with that 3d model level) and wants to "sell" their products, but thats not how successful dev like darkcookies or nlt media made good money from their game. Maybe they good with making games but real bad at marketing it. Too bad.

Reactions: dokodesuka

Tkoyama

Feb 25, 2020

-----------

Everyone saw it coming from an intergalactic distance away. The only thing I was surprised is that he will try again.

Now think about it: If he had done like other developers do without all this blackmailing I bet he would be earning well over $377 now.

It wasn't the first time he tried it and if the first game didn't work out as planned, then it's the players fault who didn't pay for it and so that's why he's doing it now? He didn't say it exactly with those words but that's what I understood. There's something very wrong with him.

Last edited:
3.80 star(s) 46 Votes