VN Ren'Py Abandoned Heir Apparent [v.0.02] [SilkandMilkProductions]

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes

trdx

Aug 10, 2018
He doesn't get it. Why would anyone pledge money when he is saying that he is probably not going to finish it? His logic is really bad. If he kept working on his games in a more normal way, he'd have 1k by now.

Reactions: Cotytto

Slappy Kinkaid

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2018
To be fair, what I THINK he's TRYING, (& failing), to communicate is that in order for him to be able to dedicate the time & resources he needs to continue the game, he needs $x amount per month, otherwise he will be incapable of being able to continue with the game. Meaning, like the more time he spends working on the game, the more it eats into the time he has to earn a living otherwise, making it essential to his survival to replace the income lost while spending time working on the game. So if spending X hours working on the game reduces his availability to earn his regular income by Y, then he needs that Y number replaced by income from his supporters to balance it out & pay the bills & if he doesn't meet that Y number, then he doesn't have the income needed to pay the bills & therefore has to shelve the game because the time he would have spent working on it, he instead needs to spend working at his regular job.

However, EVEN if that was the case, A, he's still clearly a texbook narcissist, as evidenced by how much better he thinks his game is than everyone else's, B, he's clearly socially inept & incapable of understanding If you frame your statements in a way that comes across as you holding development of the game as a ransom for getting the money you want, people are going to react badly. & getting pissed that everyone isn't hearing what you're, (by you I mean him), saying isn't a problem with them, it's a problem with you. Maybe YOU are the one failing to effectively communicate what you're trying to say if EVERYONE "isn't getting it". &, if my earlier presumption is the case, maybe it's incumbent on YOU to clarify & say "No, I'm not saying I won't work on the game unless I make $x, I'm saying that I CAN'T afford to work on the game unless I make $x amount to replace the income I'd lose by continuing development. In order for me to continue development, I have to replace the income I'd be losing from my work with the income from supporters & $x is what I need a month to replace that income. Without it, I can't afford to spend the time making it because I'd have to spend that time earning a living." THAT at least would be understandable & something most people can sympathize with. But you have to clarify that instead of just saying "If I don't make $x, I won't make the game." That just sounds like a cash grab & someone that's a full on dick, so it's no wonder why the response he gets is "Fuck you & fuck your game". He also needs to understand that it's his potential support base he's pissing off, so he's literally blasting the shit out of his own foot here. Alienating the people you rely on to provide support is textbook self sabotage & stupidity. I mean let's face it. Most of us would rather support a mediocre game made by a decent creator than a good game made by a shitty creator. Learn some basic social skills & basic business sense. It doesn't matter how good you think your game is, if you act like an asshat & get everyone hating you, when you say "Fine, I won't make my game anymore", you won't get many people asking you to continue, most will say "good fucking riddance".

Xumeey

Apr 27, 2017
To be fair, what I THINK he's TRYING, (& failing), to communicate is that in order for him to be able to dedicate the time & resources he needs to continue the game, he needs $x amount per month, otherwise he will be incapable of being able to continue with the game. Meaning, like the more time he spends working on the game, the more it eats into the time he has to earn a living otherwise, making it essential to his survival to replace the income lost while spending time working on the game. So if spending X hours working on the game reduces his availability to earn his regular income by Y, then he needs that Y number replaced by income from his supporters to balance it out & pay the bills & if he doesn't meet that Y number, then he doesn't have the income needed to pay the bills & therefore has to shelve the game because the time he would have spent working on it, he instead needs to spend working at his regular job.

However, EVEN if that was the case, A, he's still clearly a texbook narcissist, as evidenced by how much better he thinks his game is than everyone else's, B, he's clearly socially inept & incapable of understanding If you frame your statements in a way that comes across as you holding development of the game as a ransom for getting the money you want, people are going to react badly. & getting pissed that everyone isn't hearing what you're, (by you I mean him), saying isn't a problem with them, it's a problem with you. Maybe YOU are the one failing to effectively communicate what you're trying to say if EVERYONE "isn't getting it". &, if my earlier presumption is the case, maybe it's incumbent on YOU to clarify & say "No, I'm not saying I won't work on the game unless I make $x, I'm saying that I CAN'T afford to work on the game unless I make $x amount to replace the income I'd lose by continuing development. In order for me to continue development, I have to replace the income I'd be losing from my work with the income from supporters & $x is what I need a month to replace that income. Without it, I can't afford to spend the time making it because I'd have to spend that time earning a living." THAT at least would be understandable & something most people can sympathize with. But you have to clarify that instead of just saying "If I don't make $x, I won't make the game." That just sounds like a cash grab & someone that's a full on dick, so it's no wonder why the response he gets is "Fuck you & fuck your game". He also needs to understand that it's his potential support base he's pissing off, so he's literally blasting the shit out of his own foot here. Alienating the people you rely on to provide support is textbook self sabotage & stupidity. I mean let's face it. Most of us would rather support a mediocre game made by a decent creator than a good game made by a shitty creator. Learn some basic social skills & basic business sense. It doesn't matter how good you think your game is, if you act like an asshat & get everyone hating you, when you say "Fine, I won't make my game anymore", you won't get many people asking you to continue, most will say "good fucking riddance".
If only he kept his mouth shut and only posted previews.

Reactions: ForeverLannister

Atlius

Mar 10, 2020
To the DEV: we are sure your game will be intriguing, and I think many people around here will be happy to support you, just don't think we are going to pay because "it looks better". We trust you if you trust us.

To the Users: ok let's not be so harsh, he's at his first experience (or something like that), so let's just pretend nothing happened and the same will do him.

I'm personally willing to support the dev if he works more and talks less :D

Love you all <3

DanThaMan

Engaged Member
Jun 25, 2017
he's at his first experience (or something like that)
This isn't his first experience making a game if thats what you meant, he abandoned his first game for the same reason this one will end up being abandoned for.. 'lack of support'

Reactions: Atlius

Atlius

Mar 10, 2020
This isn't his first experience making a game if thats what you meant, he abandoned his first game for the same reason this one will end up being abandoned for.. 'lack of support'
Yeah, I read messages I didn't read these days... too bad...

Reactions: DanThaMan

Freki.g

Jun 10, 2020

That's all right, but no one here has an identity to defend and therefore, as you call them, these shitty developers can proliferate undisturbed so badly that it has to reappear with other personalities.
What is comforting in this case is that his behavior (by many) has not been accepted but, unfortunately, it is not always the case and therefore many use more or less shit strategies to squeeze the market.
This market is what it is because the demand is what it is, it means that it is not mature, to improve things it is necessary that the demand also change in order to obtain products with scheduled updates and completion and financing guarantees.
But hardly anything changes from today to tomorrow.

Slappy Kinkaid

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2018
That's all right, but no one here has an identity to defend and therefore, as you call them, these shitty developers can proliferate undisturbed so badly that it has to reappear with other personalities.
What is comforting in this case is that his behavior (by many) has not been accepted but, unfortunately, it is not always the case and therefore many use more or less shit strategies to squeeze the market.
This market is what it is because the demand is what it is, it means that it is not mature, to improve things it is necessary that the demand also change in order to obtain products with scheduled updates and completion and financing guarantees.
Not to sound communistic, (because I'm not, I'm all for the entrepreneurial spirit & making a buck from a side hustle, as I have my share of my own), but this is the problem with monetizing art as a business. I mean obviously games in general are a business, of course. But I mean, Look at it like the difference between say a purely business conceived product like Windows, (the OS of course), or macOS vs Linux & BSD. With Windows & macOS, sure. It's by & large the 2 computer operating systems that dominate the market, making them the biggest business successes, (on the consumer level of course). However, they are also the most mediocre, restrictive & problem laden options available with the least choices available to the consumer. They are effectively the AAA equivalent of the OS market. The Linux community on the other hand is completely open source with thousands of businesses, tech professionals & hobbyists that all freely share & distribute their work, many of whom will take someone else's work, put their own contributions in & create something new. For example, Canonical took Debian & used that as a base to make Ubuntu, The makers of Mint, Voyager, PopOS, Pinguy, & dozens of others used Ubuntu as a base to make their own flavors, etc... One of my favorites was Crunchbang, (#!), which was based don Debian. I currently run Manjaro which was based on Arch. This is the indie equivalent. It doesn't have the market share that windows or macOS does, (though it is growing very rapidly & I predict will become the norm within the next 10 years, especially since it's already surpassed windows on the server backend of things, with more server clusters running either RHEL or apache servers instead of MS server), But it's more feature packed, customizable & option rich with all the different variations out there available that everyone can find the perfect distro for them.

The point here though is the different philosophies of both camps. With Microsoft & Apple, their model is "We are a business. We are making this product to make money". With Linux & BSD, the ethos is "We are tech professionals / enthusiasts & we are making a product that will help people, give them a better computing experience, or that we just think is cool, here you go, have it for free. Though if you like it, a donation would be appreciated." With Windows & Apple, the goal is to make money for themselves. With Linux & BSD, the goal is to showcase what they can do & provide their talents to help the community.

The thing is, THIS community right here, is modeled basically the same as the Linux community. You create your project, showcase it to the community & what you get is what you get. Most of the same principals in ethos & the relationship between creator & consumer are the same here too. So, just like in the Linux community, where if a creator of a distro said "This is the best distro ever of linux, but we won't update it or continue development unless you pay $x", they'd be told to fuck off, we are seeing the same with silk&milk happening here. When Oracle bought ownership of Red Hat Linux, they tried doing that & now, (aside from RHEL which is only used by large corporations on servers), Red Hat for desktop no longer exists, as it's been replaced by the creators of Fedora. As for the server side, Cent has replaced that.

I think if more creators kept this concept in mind, they would by & large be more successful than they are. This isn't a community that you should jump into expecting to get big or even decent money in. If you're a new creator, EVEN if you're a master at your craft, just present your work for your own enjoyment of crafting it & for the enjoyment of the community & don't worry about the money. If you're consistent & if it's good, the money will come. If the project you're working on doesn't appeal to the public, or isn't bringing in the money you expected, finish it anyway if you're able to & start something new. This is why I always say it's best to write & code out a game before you even release a 0.1, so all that's left to do is make the renders & have a "short" version of the story ready as a plan B, so if you get to the point where you're thinking "I have to bail on this", you can at least finish it with the short version so that you at least have a complete project instead of a series of abandoned ones.

Reactions: chthonic_goat_666

Slappy Kinkaid

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2018
TL;DR version, if more of the creators & fans alike treated this community as the hobbyist / enthusiast community that it is & less like a market or business & stopped focusing on the money, the creators individually & as a whole would actually make more money because their focus will be in the right place. On their art & on the community & from that, some money will come. & the more they do it & the longer they create, the more money they will make organically.

Think of it like sex. If you're in your head focusing & fixating on what you're doing, your technique, how is she responding, am I doing this right, hmm, she's not really responding to this, lemme try something else, ok I'm getting a good reaction now, well now that's not working, What should I do next? etc... You're both going to have a bad time. however, if you just let your mind go as blank as you can, jump in, go with the flow & do whatever comes naturally, you'll both have a mugh better time. The same applies here. If you start a project expecting to get rich, then when it doesn't happen, start thinking "hmm, maybe I picked the wrong art style," or "maybe I'm pandering to the wrong kink" or other things that cause creators to overthink themselves into abandonment & starting over, just go with the flow, finish what you're doing & then move on to something new. If your first project isn't as well received as you like, count it as practice & a stepping stone, then build from that. There's many creators out there with shitty, poorly recieved first, even second games, that went on to make significantly better, more successful, games.

Don't worry about the money, with time, practice & persistence it will come, as long as you're not in your head, going with the flow & not fixating on the money, but instead on the project.

Atlius

Mar 10, 2020
Oh, another Italian. It's fine to be in such good company!
Bella!

Xumeey

Apr 27, 2017

The goal was and is $1200 a month for me to work on v.02 of Heir Apparent.
October 31st 2021 Heir Apparent v.0.015 released
November 2021 Total pledged: $790
December 2021 Total pledged: $600
Nov + Dec $1200 reached. One month of development. Progress on v.02 is at 60%
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 2022

And now he has less than $500. The more he talks the less support he gets yet he keeps talking absolute garbage. What was the saying about the definition of insanity...

Deleted member 4041066

Aug 10, 2021

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 2022

And now he has less than $500. The more he talks the less support he gets yet he keeps talking absolute garbage. What was the saying about the definition of insanity...
AHAHAHAHAHAHA, well would you look at that, the snowflake melted under the pressure as was expected. What happened to the big boy talks three weeks ago, huh? "I'm not a hobbyist", yet he just had to lower himself to the level of a hobbyist, as he finally was able to find himself some brains and understood that adding up the support from multiple months actually results the amount of money that is needed for a one month development. WOOOOW, such a big brain moment for this brainlet of a developer! If he is able to keep up with that $500 a month support, he will be able to put one month of development into this game once again in...March! Although he will probably go back to his Napoleon complex and rage quit the whole developer thing before that.

palmtrees89

Jul 3, 2021

January 2022

And I'm guessing the remaining $190 (790 + 600) are turning into spacedust for his convenience? I'm pretty sure there's even more excess money from October aswell. That's like picking random patrons and telling them that their support and money doesn't matter. "Get fucked!"

This clown would make for a good comedian if this wasn't so sad.

Last edited:

Freki.g

Jun 10, 2020
There is no excuse if you feel like working and this species of dev doesn't have any.
He craves money that he could have made with the many shitty strategies that work.
But as some nicknames him, Napoleon can't resist being original and got the waterloo of him.
In my view, this game and this dev have no future.
6a280882a4650ccee36d019f29fc7747.gif

Swordsman83

Anti Anti-NTR & Anti-Woke Crusader
Donor
Apr 14, 2020
While the renders are really good, they're not shockingly so, you can find as good or better. Plus there is no animation (though I prefer that than bad animations).

The story is not that bad, but it's the classic incest trope with a bit of cryptic elements (though a bit less than in his previous game).

The main selling point to me is the erotic scenes are very good, and it's one of the most important things for that kind of games.

Nevertheless we won't see much more of this game, the dev's attitude is awful
can u pm me as good or better ? most likely i have played.

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
The tragedy of this thread is 100% this devs fault. If he spent as much time on his game as he did making excuses why he can't spend time on his game this thread would probably be full of praise over what is actually a pretty good game. Not great by any means, but upper-tier as far as this site goes. But instead, we have to talk about the dev because they are a spoiled, petulant, overgrown child constantly having a tantrum over how the dollars aren't flowing as fast as they would like.

This makes me draw one conclusion: they are not working on their game at all, but rather paying someone else to do it. And as they are probably smart enough to ask for cash upfront this dev is unable to get an update posted because they cannot afford to pay them until that sweet Patreon money rolls in. This is the same model that Bob Kane followed when he stole all credit for creating Batman while work for hire pros like Jerry Robinson and especially Bill Finger did all the work.

Not saying that running a studio that makes a product is wrong per se, so long as you are honest about it. There is nothing wrong with being a project director that handles funding and sales. Saying "Without your contributions, I will be unable to pay my professional coder or artist" will probably go a lot farther with patrons than pretending you do all the work yourself after your shift at the lumber mill.

But this dev probably doesn't want to hear that because he suffers from undiagnosed advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage. In the meantime, all we can do is either cope with his delusions or ignore his game... which is apt to be abandoned sometime soon anyway. Sadly.

VN..reader

Aug 28, 2020
And I'm guessing the remaining $190 (790 + 600) are turning into spacedust for his convenience? I'm pretty sure there's even more excess money from October aswell. That's like picking random patrons and telling them that their support and money doesn't matter. "Get fucked!"

This clown would make for a good comedian if this wasn't so sad.
should check where he is from and see Which Politician he is... i'm thinking ..Mayor :unsure:, but could be the 'Governor', 'io mate

The D0n

Feb 7, 2020
I liked the story and art so I backed them on Patreon. Looks like there are a few here who don't like the maker, fair enough. I guess I would be frustrated too trying to produce something and seeing little return as well though.

At least imo this maker produces content unlike some other makers here like Gumdrop. I want to see this dev make a title so I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. Hopefully they make their targets and everyone else can get access to a well made title.

Looking at the comments either I am in the minority or other factors are in play I am just not aware of..... but to be fair I did once back Gumdrop which is how I found out about this site in the first place.

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes