VN Ren'Py Abandoned Heir Apparent [v.0.02] [SilkandMilkProductions]

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes

Xumeey

Apr 27, 2017
Yes but that rule depends on the mods mood. Still can report the thread though
To be honest I don't really care anymore but I was just wondering whether the mods forgot about it since this thread isn't very popular or just don't care about their own rules. This post will probably be deleted so...

giantsquidboy

Oct 2, 2018
unless u ask silk if he has abandoned it but on his pateron.it still an active project. if the dev of the game hasnt comunicated recently like in last 2 or three months then it can be abanndoned. but unless silk says his project is then the tag can be put on. unless u actaullay talk to silk, if says it abondend then it is but unless he says it is.. if it still active project, updates take time, silk can be busy in rl hasnt given update. so unless silk makes a statement if game abandoned or not. it still active on patreon page and his website.

Last edited:

taylorg88

May 22, 2021
unless u ask silk if he has abandoned it but on his pateron.it still an active project. if the dev of the game hasnt comunicated recently like in last 2 or three months then it can be abanndoned. but unless silk says his project is then the tag can be put on. unless u actaullay talk to silk, if says it abondend then it is but unless he says it is.. if it still active project, updates take time, silk can be busy in rl hasnt given update. so unless silk makes a statement if game abandoned or not. it still active on patreon page and his website.
Your second sentence should have been the end of your post. Silk hasn't had any communication since releasing the update on May 7th which is over 3 months. This coupled with all of his posts previously about abandoning this game if it doesn't get a certain amount of money every month (which he hasn't gotten even close to) is the perfect definition of an abandoned game.

Amon617

May 23, 2022
It's shame to see ''Abandoned'' tag. I tried Primal Instinct and it was a fine game but that was abandoned too. And now another one from the same dev. This was a really good looking game. I guess Silk part is just a cover for the ''milk'ing part. I wonder if he'd try and go for a 3rd project?

Arch12

Nov 30, 2020
Sucks to see but from what I read before when I first played I could tell it was coming. I can understand having like a set goal for the money desired. But you cant be on 0.0.2 of the game and expect people to fork over there wallets.

The renders were good too, Just develop your game and if you continue to make it well written and rendered you will get the support, But demanding your fans to hit a certain goal or you will abandon the project is never gonna get you to a spot to make any money from making games.

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
Sucks to see but from what I read before when I first played I could tell it was coming. I can understand having like a set goal for the money desired. But you cant be on 0.0.2 of the game and expect people to fork over there wallets.

The renders were good too, Just develop your game and if you continue to make it well written and rendered you will get the support, But demanding your fans to hit a certain goal or you will abandon the project is never gonna get you to a spot to make any money from making games.
My take? He doesn't do his own work. He needs the money up front to pay the people who are actually making the game for him work for hire. He probably stiffed them while they were making the first game, which is why the production ground to a halt. So if they are still involved they demanded full payment up front. I'd probably do the same in their position. Still, a Patreon is not a Kickstarter. He should use a different website if he wants to fund the production of a game in this fashion. But pretending that you are just an independent creator who would make this awesome game but can't because you are working double shifts at the grocery store? Nah. People can smell that bullshit.

E_O_N

Creator of Winter Warmth & Karma
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2021
My take? He doesn't do his own work. He needs the money up front to pay the people who are actually making the game for him work for hire. He probably stiffed them while they were making the first game, which is why the production ground to a halt. So if they are still involved they demanded full payment up front. I'd probably do the same in their position. Still, a Patreon is not a Kickstarter. He should use a different website if he wants to fund the production of a game in this fashion. But pretending that you are just an independent creator who would make this awesome game but can't because you are working double shifts at the grocery store? Nah. People can smell that bullshit.
Wait, I have teammates I pay as well. And I work with whatever hours I have left from a full time job. Does that mean I belong to the trash side? :cry:

Reactions: The D0n

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
Wait, I have teammates I pay as well. And I work with whatever hours I have left from a full time job. Does that mean I belong to the trash side? :cry:
No. You're fine. The main difference is that you are working and he is grifting. I'm sure you make no pretense as to your situation. There is an appreciable difference. I work full I time as well but since I work from home and am freelance I'm pretty free to work on my game in my spare time. But I don't have any crowdfunding at present both because I don't have a firm timetable for release and it is 100% self-funded so a platform can't impose its "standards" on what I make. If I ever bring in someone to help with it (probably with animations because I am rubbish at them) I would pay them upfront but I would also credit them. Maybe even put them on blast to recognize their work. It is the right thing to do unless they make it clear that they would rather have hush money than credit. :ROFLMAO: But seriously, the only reason I have a problem with S&M is the way they are taking money for something they never intend to start, much less finish. Unless they make enough money for them to live on and give someone else a small percentage to do all the work. But that's the dream I guess. :cautious: I have no problems with creators who are struggling. I'm kinda one of them.

E_O_N

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2021
No. You're fine. The main difference is that you are working and he is grifting. I'm sure you make no pretense as to your situation. There is an appreciable difference. I work full I time as well but since I work from home and am freelance I'm pretty free to work on my game in my spare time. But I don't have any crowdfunding at present both because I don't have a firm timetable for release and it is 100% self-funded so a platform can't impose its "standards" on what I make. If I ever bring in someone to help with it (probably with animations because I am rubbish at them) I would pay them upfront but I would also credit them. Maybe even put them on blast to recognize their work. It is the right thing to do unless they make it clear that they would rather have hush money than credit. :ROFLMAO: But seriously, the only reason I have a problem with S&M is the way they are taking money for something they never intend to start, much less finish. Unless they make enough money for them to live on and give someone else a small percentage to do all the work. But that's the dream I guess. :cautious: I have no problems with creators who are struggling. I'm kinda one of them.
With the current recession going on, I think support is even less than usual.
If you ever intend to make money, now isn't the time. I think it will clean out many artists and game devs.

Naturally, I hope I am wrong. But the field feels sadly underappreciated at this point and the mood is sometimes almost sour.
I hope that as a community we can get closer again. Or that the games I produce are that good, that people can't live without them.

Draupnir7

Sep 3, 2020
With the current recession going on, I think support is even less than usual.
If you ever intend to make money, now isn't the time. I think it will clean out many artists and game devs.

Naturally, I hope I am wrong. But the field feels sadly underappreciated at this point and the mood is sometimes almost sour.
I hope that as a community we can get closer again. Or that the games I produce are that good, that people can't live without them.
The mood is sour here 'cause the game has been held hostage repeatedly, with churlish demands for a guaranteed amount of income, by a dev who isn't just a dickhead, but the shaft, balls, and pelvis it all rests on, too. Guy's got a track record spottier than a leopard with a skin rash.

E_O_N

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2021
The mood is sour here 'cause the game has been held hostage repeatedly, with churlish demands for a guaranteed amount of income, by a dev who isn't just a dickhead, but the shaft, balls, and pelvis it all rests on, too. Guy's got a track record spottier than a leopard with a skin rash.
Don't know the dude. But a little empathy goes a long way from both sides.
I know dev's that have killed themselves and get flamed while raking in less than 10 dollars a month.
Can you really blame them for quitting?

Usually key is communication. If this dev was honest, I don't see the issue.
In short if he told clearly that he needs amount xx to do yy, that is how it is.

Not sure if that is the winning strategy, but that is an entirely different topic.

Reactions: homejorz

Burgh917

Dec 20, 2019
I think with the quality of his work that if the Dev would have just said in the beginning "guys i need support or i can't continue the project" he would have got it. But the second he attached a minimum dollar amount and an or else ultimatum to it he doomed it to failure, which is a shame.

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes