Popelboii

Feb 8, 2023
Fun fact, all of that on the same date since 2019 that guy is a monster. XD

It's almost sad he makes much less money and is still happy with it, while the people behind DA and hhg literally get paid like a full time job while delivering like it's a nice little hobby to throw in the corner when it gets too boring.

Am I a bit salty because I get paid less even though I do a "real" job? - yes

deskt

Jul 24, 2018
It's almost sad he makes much less money and is still happy with it, while the people behind DA and hhg literally get paid like a full time job while delivering like it's a nice little hobby to throw in the corner when it gets too boring.

Am I a bit salty because I get paid less even though I do a "real" job? - yes
when you're motivated nothing gets in the way :'v...as for the money I don't know depends where you are or live...but DA (deviant anomalies I think) and HHG make way more than a full time salary. .
I get your point... but you have to understand that not all developers make that much... this kind of thing is like a sort of gamble if it works out for you, good for you, but it's normal if you don't make that much, I'm a game creator. but action/platform games I make games with my friends for Steam we don't earn that much to other eyes, but for us we have earned much more than you can earn in other full-time jobs, the perks of live in the third world
also DA at least update XD

Last edited:
Reactions: Popelboii

standbygames

Mar 13, 2018
Gumdrop dev of Dual Family is the more apt comparison. Similar villain arc, both started a game with amazing potential and got a lot of patrons then 2+ years of no update just broken promises and bogus excuses then after all that time announcing a side project type thing (spoilery non canon holiday patch in this case) no one wanted instead of the promised chapter 1 update. And even this unwanted holiday patch Komi keeps delaying over and over with various excuses lol.

Remember in December when he was going to "finish this in the next 2 weeks and then start working on chapter 1 again on January 1st". 3 months later here we are, still hasn't even released the stupid holiday patch, forget about chapter 1, it's a pure fantasy at this point. At least discord is becoming entertaining with even some simps finally getting fed up of 2 years 4 months of pure BS.

Last edited:

TrickyK

Jul 10, 2018
I predict a speedy and voluminous (heh) release once the patron count makes its first nosedive.
It kind of already did.

When the month rolled over to February and he missed the deadline, the patreon went from over $7k to $5.5k per month of patron donations.

He then released a sneak peek which is literally one animation. Probably as a knee jerk response to suddenly losing $1.5k in patrons.

ki.nch31

Feb 12, 2023
I predict a speedy and voluminous (heh) release once the patron count makes its first nosedive.
At this point, I don't disagree. The whole thing is just sad. I completely understand what people are saying about taking money and not delivering. But (and people always get pissy when this is said, but idc it's fucking true) money isn't happiness. You have to be a really rare sort of person to be able to put up the front that Komi puts up and not actually be tormented and wracked with shame/guilt/anxiety. If you say you would trade places with Komi right now, you don't know what it's probably like in that guy's head.

That said, I think "horse" when I hear hooves. Sometimes it's a zebra, and I'm wrong. Anxiety disorders are the most common illness in the developed world. And this sure looks like one to me. Could it be a clever person feigning sincerity and not giving a damn? Sure. That's just, statistically-speaking, a lot less common than the scenario I gave.

The guy needs to get help (psychiatrist +/- therapist ASAP) and to decide whether to finish the project. If he does decide to finish it, he needs a completely different approach--one that a therapist puts together for him, not his version of planning. Pausing payments is a humbling thing to do; but it takes a lot of pressure off. He can pretend all he want's that the monetary contributions are "donations" but he's human, and the money clearly creates expectations. At some point, the money isn't worth the agony caused by his inner turmoil.

Best case scenario. He pauses to get help and allows himself to work for a little while without incoming contributions. If he continues to press on the way he has, things will most likely blow up in his face. We shall see.

Sep 12, 2020
You have to be a really rare sort of person to be able to put up the front that Komi puts up and not actually be tormented and wracked with shame/guilt/anxiety. If you say you would trade places with Komi right now, you don't know what it's probably like in that guy's head.
That's a fair point, and I hope he's fine in that regard: it may also be why he's basically disappeared from here and stopped saying anything (not sure what's happening on Discord). We're at the point where either he's a good guy that's suffering, and so we'd feel bad for him, or he's a scammer who doesn't care: either way, it's not a happy place to be.

ayy

Sep 14, 2016
It kind of already did.

When the month rolled over to February and he missed the deadline, the patreon went from over $7k to $5.5k per month of patron donations.

He then released a sneak peek which is literally one animation. Probably as a knee jerk response to suddenly losing $1.5k in patrons.
JFC I forgot he was raking in 7K USD (!!!) per month. How labor intensive is it to supposedly generate a few renders and post them up as "progress", if that is what is actually happening here? I seriously can't wrap my head around how this dude can get away with collecting that much on a monthly basis without generating any real product, while theres devs out there with games released in the same year that are already completed and have now moved onto new projects who don't even make 10% of how much this guy is making.

At this point, I don't disagree. The whole thing is just sad. I completely understand what people are saying about taking money and not delivering. But (and people always get pissy when this is said, but idc it's fucking true) money isn't happiness. You have to be a really rare sort of person to be able to put up the front that Komi puts up and not actually be tormented and wracked with shame/guilt/anxiety. If you say you would trade places with Komi right now, you don't know what it's probably like in that guy's head.

That said, I think "horse" when I hear hooves. Sometimes it's a zebra, and I'm wrong. Anxiety disorders are the most common illness in the developed world. And this sure looks like one to me. Could it be a clever person feigning sincerity and not giving a damn? Sure. That's just, statistically-speaking, a lot less common than the scenario I gave.

The guy needs to get help (psychiatrist +/- therapist ASAP) and to decide whether to finish the project. If he does decide to finish it, he needs a completely different approach--one that a therapist puts together for him, not his version of planning. Pausing payments is a humbling thing to do; but it takes a lot of pressure off. He can pretend all he want's that the monetary contributions are "donations" but he's human, and the money clearly creates expectations. At some point, the money isn't worth the agony caused by his inner turmoil.

Best case scenario. He pauses to get help and allows himself to work for a little while without incoming contributions. If he continues to press on the way he has, things will most likely blow up in his face. We shall see.
Crippling anxiety regarding letting down his patrons with a new update is understandable. Even perfectionism is understandable. I personally don't view Komisari as a malicious actor who's trying to rip off his customers. Primarily because if it was malicious, it would make way more sense to release an update now, 2 years after the fact, only to hold off with your next update for another 2 years. You already know suckers have already stuck with him for 2 years, so whats another 2 years of waiting right?

I still think that anxiety and perfectionism don't excuse not having a release. I don't envy the man in his position regarding the stress, but collecting 70K USD/year without having any tangible product to show is insane to me. You'd be fired from any company/breach contracts for this kind of behavior in any industry. Or as a startup would start to bleed your investors as they lose confidence, which seems to be the way things are going.

I don't really have any skin in the game here, but its interesting as an observer to see this go down the way it is.

Reactions: ki.nch31

Boopeeman

Jun 14, 2020
JFC I forgot he was raking in 7K USD (!!!) per month. How labor intensive is it to supposedly generate a few renders and post them up as "progress", if that is what is actually happening here? I seriously can't wrap my head around how this dude can get away with collecting that much on a monthly basis without generating any real product, while theres devs out there with games released in the same year that are already completed and have now moved onto new projects who don't even make 10% of how much this guy is making.

Crippling anxiety regarding letting down his patrons with a new update is understandable. Even perfectionism is understandable. I personally don't view Komisari as a malicious actor who's trying to rip off his customers. Primarily because if it was malicious, it would make way more sense to release an update now, 2 years after the fact, only to hold off with your next update for another 2 years. You already know suckers have already stuck with him for 2 years, so whats another 2 years of waiting right?

I still think that anxiety and perfectionism don't excuse not having a release. I don't envy the man in his position regarding the stress, but collecting 70K USD/year without having any tangible product to show is insane to me. You'd be fired from any company/breach contracts for this kind of behavior in any industry. Or as a startup would start to bleed your investors as they lose confidence, which seems to be the way things are going.

I don't really have any skin in the game here, but its interesting as an observer to see this go down the way it is.
What's important is that the 7k USD per month goes toward his physical health, mental health and financial health. This is what really matters at the end of the day.

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
I've got a suspicion that there's a ton of guilt behind this. I know I've procrastinated more as an almost reflexive action to not having something done, when that something didn't really have a "definition of done". The later it gets, the worse I feel, the more I struggle with the guilt to finish it because that's just a response to the stress.

The above is why I've been harping on about sitting down and properly structuring the entire release. Having a firm event and feature cutoff, definition of "done" for the whole update and for every event so that you're not completely tweaking, adding, inflating content, adding more events, never finishing.

I personally don't doubt the project HAS been considerably worked on; I highly doubt it'll ever be in a state where Komisari will be happy with it because they keep fiddling with it. I'd be very surprised to find out that Komi has a system where every event is planned and tracked, because I know this would definitely been able to be released if they were using that kind of system. It's helped me immeasurably with some of my own projects that just dragged on and on with feature creep/never being satisfied

Reactions: ki.nch31

whibber

Nov 27, 2018
I don’t doubt the update has been worked on, and I do believe it’s coming out. But JFC how do you miss your original deadline by so much? Every delay raises expectations to the point where I highly doubt that the update will be able to meet it, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Boopeeman

Jun 14, 2020
I don’t doubt the update has been worked on, and I do believe it’s coming out. But JFC how do you miss your original deadline by so much? Every delay raises expectations to the point where I highly doubt that the update will be able to meet it, but I would love to be proven wrong.
He's going to release a AAA Renpy 2 minute fishing mini-game on patreon next month then go radio silent for the next three.

Sh1nki

Aug 10, 2019

Idk man, anxiety disorders sure are prevalent but they affect at most 30% of population. Most of us, if we dont meet deadline, its not beacuse of any psychologiacal disroder. Its couse we couldnt make ourselves to work diligently. And lets be honest You do need pretty good work ethic to work on sth every day depsite being financialy stable ( 6k per month remeber) and not employed and therefore not facing any immediate repercusions from not "showing up to work".

4.40 star(s) 207 Votes