hw17

Aug 2, 2017
Is there a way to fuck the twins? Everytime i try to go into mercedes room she is not there, any help please?

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
I tried all options but nothing works wth
Have you tried deleting the game? smh. Seriously, if you are still talking about sex with one of the new twins, I can guarantee you haven't tried all options. For starters, try using search as the question has already been answered.

Ascetic

Apr 5, 2018
hw17 Also for once, the phone has a relatively detailed explanation on how to unlock the scene with Miriam, it even tells you how many days you have to wait before you can even try it! While you wait, keep on talking with her daily to raise affection/lust as usual (lust is only raised by sneaking behind her and succeed a Charm check, though).

sfcpres

Mar 29, 2019
I saw this exception error in DH's Patreon page as well but wanted to post up on F95. I don't know if anyone else has seen this as well, any help would be appreciated. Thank you !

In relation to using the phone to check on the girls (using 1.7.2) I come across the following:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
I saw this exception error in DH's Patreon page as well but wanted to post up on F95. I don't know if anyone else has seen this as well, any help would be appreciated. Thank you !

In relation to using the phone to check on the girls (using 1.7.2) I come across the following:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 531, in execute_call_screen
store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
File "game/script.rpy", line 1631, in execute
File "game/script.rpy", line 1633, in execute
File "game/script.rpy", line 1538, in execute
File "game/script.rpy", line 1588, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 541, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 542, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 1417, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 1425, in execute
AttributeError: 'cl_pl_phone' object has no attribute 'show_inactive_chars'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 313, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\main.py", line 525, in main
run(restart)
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\main.py", line 139, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\execution.py", line 892, in run_context
context.run()
File "game/script.rpyc", line 777, in script
��vDQOLV��,3Rĥ ����I�%-��~����L$It������j(�ǒ�!j��ߴ�$ii<k�V%�
File "game/script.rpyc", line 777, in script
��vDQOLV��,3Rĥ ����I�%-��~����L$It������j(�ǒ�!j��ߴ�$ii<k�V%�
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\ast.py", line 1911, in execute
self.call("execute")
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\ast.py", line 1899, in call
return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\statements.py", line 220, in call
return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 531, in execute_call_screen
store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\exports.py", line 2875, in call_screen
rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\ui.py", line 289, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\display\core.py", line 2690, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\display\core.py", line 3074, in interact_core
root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\display\core.py", line 534, in visit_all
d.visit_all(callback, seen)
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\display\core.py", line 534, in visit_all
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\display\screen.py", line 424, in visit_all
callback(self)
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\display\core.py", line 3074, in <lambda>
root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\display\screen.py", line 434, in per_interact
self.update()
File "C:\Users\Vachon\Downloads\DSS\Holiday Island\HolidayIsland-0.1.7.2\renpy\display\screen.py", line 619, in update
self.screen.function(**self.scope)
File "game/script.rpy", line 1633, in execute
File "game/script.rpy", line 1588, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 542, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 1417, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 1425, in execute
File "<screen language>", line 1425, in <module>
AttributeError: 'cl_pl_phone' object has no attribute 'show_inactive_chars'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.2.491
Holiday Island 0.1.7.2
Thu Jul 25 05:29:55 2019
For whatever reason the update to 0.1.7 did not run as it should. You probably used ignore on an error during the version update. This doesn't work and will create all kinds of follow up problems. If a save cannot be loaded, it's lost.

Reactions: imzahai

Keldar

Jul 23, 2018
So I have followed this game for a year now and the quality of the renders and animations especially have improved but the game is losing its luster for me. i'm not hating on the game I am trying to give a realistic assessment of the game after a year on the site.

The real problem this game has is scale, it is 2 years old with an incredibly consistent content update schedule but the game feels lacking. It has LOADS of content there truly is a lot of content but it is spread out over too many characters. It is taking too long to actually compete the sandbox events for each of the girls that the actual plot content of the game is almost nonexistent.

This isn't a result of not enough updates or each individual update being tiny it is a direct result that this game has too many characters. The banner shows 9 characters which is a lot but that isn't a comprehensive list, there are 15 main characters and now 5 "special" characters all needing content so that even after 2 years of development this game isn't even close to getting the basic sandbox interactions with each girl done.

This long development cycle has an added problem vast differences in quality of interactions with the girls, the oldest animations are terrible while the newer animations are fantastic. The same is true about some of the renders, some of the earlier renders are grainy but the newest renders are again fantastic. This quality rollercoaster hurts the game and because the game is a sandbox the poorer quality production isn't something that you start with in the beginning of the game and then disappears as the story progresses. nope you can run into these poorer events at anytime based on what interactions you have with a given girl.

This game I feel needs to be scaled back because even after another two years I feel we will still be working on giving the 15 main characters their sandbox events still and not even come close to finishing the plots for each girl nor solving the mystery of the actual island. There was a neat mechanic of inviting and sending girls home but really that isn't something the makes or breaks the game. I know people will be miffed if their favourite girl gets axed but based on how things are going this game will never come close to finishing because 21 characters is way too much to develop for. Sure it would be great if magically we have 21 characters will tons of content for but this doesn't happen magically it takes work and right now some characters have next to zero content and we are seeing new characters added. Obviously the twins/not twins are needed for the plot of the game but two more characters means it will take even longer for the game to near completion.

Less is more. Something for the Dev to think about, Yes promises were made but they were not made in bad faith, so it seems reasonable to cut the characters that have next to no development done, given just how long the game is away from completion.

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
Interesting game assessment with some valid points. Can't say I agree with all of it as I believe some points are skewed and seemed base on one making the assumption that a game should have a beginning, middle and end. The main description of the game explains it all in my opinion.

• Holiday Island features completely non-linear gameplay, with a multitude of different options, random events and specialized encounters that will constantly surprise and entice the player to build his relationship with each of the girls surrounding him.

As for the girls, excluding the five 'special' characters (Joy, Jennifer, Yumiko and the twins) there can only be nine on the island at any given time. Couple that with 'X' number of hours in a day and multiple locations, there are limits to the amount of interactions available on any given day. I believe that the majority of the players have set their rosters with their favorites. For myself, I can say I add and subtract girls based on each new update and what achievements become available. In my case, Natasha and Aly are not two of my favorites, so once I have completed or seen the new event/scene, etc. I send them home and replace them with two of my favorites, such as Delizia and Lacey. Both of which would be considered girls with little content. Regardless, unless you are suggestion the developer push to finish the game, there seems no valid reason to reduce the number of girls in the game. Let’s use Brenda as an example. Currently she has one of the lower achievement counts, but she can be a doctor, receptionist or maid which frees up other girls to be available for interaction as the player maneuvers around the island.

There is no right or wrong answer with regards to the game, but I for one do not want to see it end or reach a specific conclusion. Certainly not at the expense or eliminating characters. My favorite, Delizia, has limited content and never seems to do well in the polls. Consequently, she rarely is included in the new updates or version releases. Eliminating her also eliminates a girl that can be the doctor or receptionist. Putting another of the ‘retained’ girls in her place, tweaks a variable like finding a girl alone at the pool or in the gym. You make the assessment, 'It is taking too long to actually compete the sandbox events for each of the girls that the actual plot content of the game is almost nonexistent.' Not trying to put words in your mouth, but it seems you would prefer a simple path or plot of do ‘A’, then ‘B’ and finish with ‘C’. Therefore, some events which are currently spread over days or weeks, can be accomplished in just three interactions or less. Using Amy’s dinner as an example, you’d have dinner and get a foot job or sex regardless of the relationship stats such as love, anger, affection, lust.

Sure, it makes the game easier, but one of the best things about Holiday Island in my opinion is having to manage all the variables required to reach an achievement.

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
It is taking too long to actually compete the sandbox events for each of the girls that the actual plot content of the game is almost nonexistent.

This long development cycle has an added problem vast differences in quality of interactions with the girls, the oldest animations are terrible while the newer animations are fantastic. The same is true about some of the renders, some of the earlier renders are grainy but the newest renders are again fantastic.

Less is more. Something for the Dev to think about, Yes promises were made but they were not made in bad faith, so it seems reasonable to cut the characters that have next to no development done, given just how long the game is away from completion.
The game isn't all about the main plot. It's not a visual novel, it's a sandbox game. I even take that further. The main plot is not really important. The game is not mainly about reaching a conclusion, but about having fun with the girls just playing along.
I say it again. If you want to just go through and finish it, this is not the game for you. Playing it, enjoying the girls, collecting achievements is the game, not reaching a conclusion and working hard to "finish the main plot".

There are no grainy renders in this game. I don't do grainy renders. What you probably mean is that the older images don't look as sharp as the new ones. This is true to some extent. Mainly if you don't play in the pre defined resolution of 1280x720. All older renders are in 1280x720 which means they don't look that good when used in fuill screen mode or when they are zoomed in by the game. They simply lack details. The newer renders are mostly done in 2560x1440 and are available for the game in 2560x1440 or at least in 1920x1080.
About the animations. It's an oversimplification when you say "old animations are terrible". This isn't really true. There are those 3 and 4 frame animations in the game. Yes. But a lot of the old animation sequences are really good too. Take the sex scenes with Yvette as an example. They are really old, but still good.
What made it possible to increase the render size are two main points. One is much better hardware and the other one is knowledge. I kniow since several years how to do good looking renders. But what I learned during game creating is how to do good looking renders a lot faster than before.
I agree with you on the general point, that the render quality is somewhat inconsistent throughout the game, mainly linked to the creation time of the render. I've started replacing the most "annoying" renders already and will continue to do so in the future (when time permits it).

The completion state of the game is how I make it. I can finish it with another 2 updates (which is not my intention) or go on for another 2 years.

The biggest mistake I made wasn't the number of girls. I stil think that is something you want to have for a sandbox game. A really bad choice was the number of outfits for each girl and basic scene. This multiplies the number of necessary renders for the basic scenes by 3 (sometimes even by 4) with almost no benefit.
For some areas it's hard to avoid (like the night bar or the pool), but e.g. for the gym it would have been possible to just have one training outfit instead of three of four bikinis.

This took 30 minutes to write, so you get 2 renders less than planned for today :)

DuckSwim

Jan 19, 2018
First of all. It is not a response to Darkhounds post.

He has a much better overview than this. And a much much better eye for technical accomplishment of an Render/Animation than anything I can come up with.

So this is general information for those interested.

I simply quote parts of his response and adds a table that describes some (historic) game development relevant for those interested in when some of the things Darkhounds mentions happend.

It is background info, with numbers. (The animation review is an old one (also I agree that many of the old animations are good) just never got around to post it.

All older renders are in 1280x720 which means they don't look that good when used in fuill screen mode or when they are zoomed in by the game. They simply lack details. The newer renders are mostly done in 2560x1440 and are available for the game in 2560x1440 or at least in 1920x1080.
How Game content has develped since version 0.0.8 alpha
About the animations. It's an oversimplification when you say "old animations are terrible". This isn't really true. There are those 3 and 4 frame animations in the game. Yes. But a lot of the old animation sequences are really good too. Take the sex scenes with Yvette as an example. They are really old, but still good.
When which animations was introduced, its (subjective) estimated quality & game effect

When Girls, special/common content and Mechnics are introduced, modernization occurs

Ok. I am out of tables. Promise :p (expiration date of promise : soon)

Last edited:

sfcpres

Mar 29, 2019
For whatever reason the update to 0.1.7 did not run as it should. You probably used ignore on an error during the version update. This doesn't work and will create all kinds of follow up problems. If a save cannot be loaded, it's lost.
Thanks DH. The rest of the phone's executables work just fine, it is the girls button that goes to the exception error. Should I re-run the update?

BTW - really enjoy this game - a lot of credit to you for expanding the tale and the hours of patience you have. It's also interesting to see the level of your images and renderings today over the beggining scenes. I'm Still fighting between Amy and Yvette for my fav.

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
Thanks DH. The rest of the phone's executables work just fine, it is the girls button that goes to the exception error. Should I re-run the update?

BTW - really enjoy this game - a lot of credit to you for expanding the tale and the hours of patience you have. It's also interesting to see the level of your images and renderings today over the beggining scenes. I'm Still fighting between Amy and Yvette for my fav.
To just fix this error, you can use the console:
g_phone.show_inactive_chars = True

But I really don't understand how this is possible when everything else is working. It's part of the update process to 0.1.7.0
Since some variables can get wrong values and quests could be doubled, I can't recommend to run the update to 0.1.7.0 manually again.
Running the updates to 0.1.7.1 and 0.1.7.2 several times is not a problem. But it wouldn't help or fix anything in your case.

Reactions: brianiac
4.10 star(s) 214 Votes