VN Ren'Py Abandoned Holiday Islands [v0.10.2] [Devon Andersson]

3.70 star(s) 6 Votes

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
That game needs a mod to turn down the boring as shit grind.

It's the typical sandbox-style problem. You have to play through weeks of doing the same repetitive shit to get new content and right now the things you have to do are more boring and complicated than any LOP game.

It's a shame really, as the renders are nice and the characters as well, but why the hell fe. do I need to play through several weeks in-game to be able to get a computer, when so much other content hangs on that?
It's just grinding and grinding and grinding. WHat a waste.

Reactions: pes and Jarul

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
I used to really like this game, but unfortunately I feel like the growth has stunted because the dev can't seem to quite make the decision on how the game should be. There are far too many fundamental changes between versions. While I understand that it's a work-in-progress and by no means a complete game, I feel like this game is still missing the foundation. It doesn't know what it wants to be yet, and it's rather disappointing that we're still at the stage of figuring that out after almost 1 year.

I feel that the dev needs to have a sit down and properly figure out what kind of game he wants to make, and equally importantly, what kind of game he can make.

If I'm being honest, I really wish this game is scrapped altogether and rebuilt from the beginning. Remove the open world, and go to the much easier more linear game. I think the open world setting is creating unnecessary complication for the dev, and hence, the multiple changes in the past year of development.

For a first game, it's important to not bite more than you can chew. Start from something easy, get good at it, and present a game that works well. Once the game works well, the dev can then focus on growing the number of patrons. Then the game finished well, and with the experience of finishing the first game, the second game can be developed in a more complicated way (if that's what the dev desired to, though it might not always be the best action to take).

To me, this game has a lot of potential. The setting is pretty interesting, the characters are also good, but the actual gameplay itself is very weak. Unfortunately, gameplay is very important when it comes to video games. At the moment, it just doesn't feel that fun playing this game. It's probably why it has an in-game cheat, and you know the gameplay is not fun if the game offered a way to skip the gameplay. That's why I would suggest to go back to a more linear gameplay where people don't have to spend too much grinding, or cheat to skip the grind.

Baxonius

Nov 23, 2018
Oh my, still one more new some stuff change the game update etc.
any chance to make any sexscenes or new characters ?

Baharomont

Aug 28, 2017
"3DCG, Adventure, Male Protagonist, Romance, Voyeurism, Groping, Seduction, Lesbian"

I not undestend Dev... You Lazy to UpDate Gengre Plate or Game real not have any Fap-Fap Content? O_O

May 25, 2017
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/scripts/char/emily/t_emily.rpy", line 4, in <module>
AttributeError: 'DetRandom' object has no attribute 'choices'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "scripts/char/emily/t_emily.rpyc", line 4, in script
  File "G:\wrar\Devon Andersson\HolidayIslands-0.10.1-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 896, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "G:\wrar\Devon Andersson\HolidayIslands-0.10.1-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1929, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/scripts/char/emily/t_emily.rpy", line 4, in <module>
AttributeError: 'DetRandom' object has no attribute 'choices'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.0.424
Holiday Islands 0.10.1
Sat Mar 09 12:16:13 2019

Reactions: f95zoneuser463

Alleycat_2017

Sep 1, 2017
It's all very well updating a new layout for the game, but it's lazy for devs to simply say "Old saves don't work, start again".

At the very least include a save up to where the old, no longer working, version ended. So that people who have invested a deal of time grinding through the game have a choice as to whether they want to go through the whole thing again to catch any new content, or carry on from where they left off. Devs can alsways point out that starting from their save may mena missed content. But at least the player has the option.

Twists of my Life does this. Despite there being a number of paths that can be followed. Devs can lose followers if they make a habit of telling players to grind through the game all over again. I know I've dumped a few because I got fed up of going over the same old ground repeatedly. Or was so far into a game when the dev decided on a major change. It simply wasn't worth it.

Just my thoughts.

evildead

Feb 11, 2018
so my v9 save don't work with v10 so iv to redo the game from start again. not cool.am going to stop playing this game intill its 100% done so that I don't have to keep redoing the game over and over again.

Ozygator

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 15, 2016
Any game that has Lisa in it is great by default, the other girls are not bad either(except for the little wannabe lifeguard, she's just absurd). But UI overhaul and save file incompatibility? That's something you simply do not do that late into the development of a game that hardly anyone will start playing after it's complete. Not to mention that the old interface was quite nice, even if it could use some touch-ups. All of that is kinda off-putting. Don't get me wrong, not enough to give up on the game(after all - Lisa!!), but still...
It's all very well updating a new layout for the game, but it's lazy for devs to simply say "Old saves don't work, start again".

At the very least include a save up to where the old, no longer working, version ended. So that people who have invested a deal of time grinding through the game have a choice as to whether they want to go through the whole thing again to catch any new content, or carry on from where they left off. Devs can alsways point out that starting from their save may mena missed content. But at least the player has the option.

Twists of my Life does this. Despite there being a number of paths that can be followed. Devs can lose followers if they make a habit of telling players to grind through the game all over again. I know I've dumped a few because I got fed up of going over the same old ground repeatedly. Or was so far into a game when the dev decided on a major change. It simply wasn't worth it.

Just my thoughts.
People replay Summertime Saga every single release, so let the dev do what he wants when he wants to. If this is easier for the dev to make content for then full steam ahead with changes!

Unless you're a Patreon I doubt dev's really care what people pirating and playing a game for free thing about making changes.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
People replay Summertime Saga every single release, so let the dev do what he wants when he wants to. If this is easier for the dev to make content for then full steam ahead with changes!

Unless you're a Patreon I doubt dev's really care what people pirating and playing a game for free thing about making changes.
Uhm there are a lot of dev's who care about what people think in this pirate forum because it is feedback and will help to improve the game, if the feedback makes sense obviously. Sure there are also dev's that only care about the wishes of their patrons, but they are most likely not the ones that have a lot of success.

I really liked this game here but the dev changed a lot in the last updates without any real content so i'll wait several updates until i'll try it again.

Reactions: botc76

sarumas

Nov 7, 2017
"V9 REQUIRES to start a new game, this will be the base-version for a while followed by smaller and faster updates"

mmh,and with V10 we have to restart again???not again,waiting for a savegame or the next updates.....don't have the time and mood to replay it :/

Reactions: evildead and botc76

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016

And a lot of people don't replay Summertime Saga every single release, me for example. Also, a smart dev knows that a lot of their patreons post here and find their games here, so listen to valid criticism here will only help your game.

Paitryn

Mar 10, 2017
And a lot of people don't replay Summertime Saga every single release, me for example. Also, a smart dev knows that a lot of their patreons post here and find their games here, so listen to valid criticism here will only help your game.
I agree with you here, I replay SS about once every 6 months

Paitryn

Mar 10, 2017
encountered a bug where pam doesn't unlock even when you do the quest. I talked to her at the massage parlor and not the beach to tell her you got the copyright done.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
encountered a bug where pam doesn't unlock even when you do the quest. I talked to her at the massage parlor and not the beach to tell her you got the copyright done.
Same for me, it says she did not agree to model for me yet while she did agree in the massage parlour.

3.70 star(s) 6 Votes