VN Ren'Py Abandoned Holiday Islands [v0.10.2] [Devon Andersson]

3.70 star(s) 6 Votes

Dole

Well-Known Karen
Apr 28, 2017
@Dole

The chicken game is easy just buy the DLC from the GSN store on the computer.

Spiders are very really fucking hard to see. They pop up in the morning and later in the day each time they are in different areas. The easiest fucking way to find them is to extract the game files with unren or enable dev mode renpy and then start game and in game hit shift + D and scroll down to the bottom to where it shows random spider and look and see where it is at then go and find it. **Note there isn't one in the hallway even if it says there's one there it's a lie or they are under one of the icons and you can't see it but I have combed that who screen when one was there and nothing every popped up.
You have read my text? It looks you haven´t.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Note there isn't one in the hallway even if it says there's one there it's a lie or they are under one of the icons and you can't see it but I have combed that who screen when one was there and nothing every popped up.
There is indeed a spider hidden under the user interface at the bottom. Due to the changed UI some other spiders got moved in 0.10 too, but I've overlooked this one. It's fixed internally now. In general 64 pixels from the top and 128 pixels from the bottom (assuming the internally used 1920x1080 resolution) are reserved for the user interface and should never have a clickable placed inside that area.

Maybe it is the known problem that a fast pc have a faster time flow.
I've just tested this. I've ripped out the KFC-minigame code into a standalone Ren'Py-project, copied over the necessary resources, added a precise timer to see how much time is really given to the player to beat the highscore.

The results are boring and exactly what I would expect:
  • fast PC from ~2013 (i7 2600K, overclocked to 4,2Ghz) = 30,22 seconds
  • slow PC from ~2007 (Athlon 64 X2 4200+, underclocked to slow down more) = 30,40 seconds
Unless there is a flaw in Ren'Pys screen timer code, the game cannot run 'to fast'. It can only run slower on slow machines effectively giving the player slightly more time. In my tests this was between 150-200 ms. This is actually good to somewhat compensate for slow machines. If I'd use a precise timer like to measure exactly 30 seconds the game would be harder on a slower machine.

The minigame uses a that ticks with a 200 ms interval. Each tick a function is called. It adds 0.2 to a counter until the 30 second time-limit is reached. That counter is used to update the time-bar at the top too.

The KFC-minigame is ~300 lines of code, this is the relevant part, it's very simple:
Python:
# inside screen
timer 0.2 repeat True action Function(pc_kfc_update)

def pc_kfc_update():
    store.pc_kfc_second_elapsed += 0.2
    if store.pc_kfc_second_elapsed >= store.pc_kfc_timeout:
        # 30 seconds have passed
        pc_kfc_end()
In other words, everything works as intended. If that highscore is really to hard I will lower it slightly, but it's designed to be very challenging. On that potato 2007 test-PC it took me 5 tries to beat 60 with 64, not because the performance was bad, but I was using a bad cheap mouse on a carpet. Therefore I'm not convinced yet and 60 seems like a good balance, not to easy, not to hard. Give me a good reason to 'nerf' this.

is the standalone KFC-minigame. It will show the real time after the time-limit for comparison.
If that runs in under 30 seconds there is a problem, slower is fine.

Dole

Well-Known Karen
Apr 28, 2017
There is indeed a spider hidden under the user interface at the bottom. Due to the changed UI some other spider got moved in 0.10 too, but I've overlooked this one. It's fixed internally now. In general 64 pixels from the top and 128 pixels from the bottom (assuming the internally used 1920x1080 resolution) are reserved for the user interface and should never have a clickable placed inside that area.

I've just tested this. I've ripped out the KFC-minigame code into a standalone Ren'Py-project, copied over the necessary resources, added a precise timer to see how much time is really given to the player to beat the highscore.

The results are boring and exactly what I would expect:
  • fast PC from ~2013 (i7 2600K, overclocked to 4,2Ghz) = 30,22 seconds
  • slow PC from ~2007 (Athlon 64 X2 4200+, underclocked to slow down more) = 30,40 seconds
Unless there is a flaw in Ren'Pys screen timer code, the game cannot run 'to fast'. It can only run slower on slow machines effectively giving the player slightly more time. In my tests this was between 150-200 ms. This is actually good to somewhat compensate for slow machines. If I'd use a precise timer like to measure exactly 30 seconds the game would be harder on a slower machine.

The minigame uses a that ticks with a 200 ms interval. Each tick a function is called. It adds 0.2 to a counter until the 30 second time-limit is reached. That counter is used to update the time-bar at the top too.

The KFC-minigame is ~300 lines of code, this is the relevant part, it's very simple:
Python:
# inside screen
timer 0.2 repeat True action Function(pc_kfc_update)

def pc_kfc_update():
    store.pc_kfc_second_elapsed += 0.2
    if store.pc_kfc_second_elapsed >= store.pc_kfc_timeout:
        # 30 seconds have passed
        pc_kfc_end()
In other words, everything works as intended. If that highscore is really to hard I will lower it slightly, but it's designed to be very challenging. On that potato 2007 test-PC it took me 5 tries to beat 60 with 64, not because the performance was bad, but I was using a bad cheap mouse on a carpet. Therefore I'm not convinced yet and 60 seems like a good balance, not to easy, not to hard. Give me a good reason to 'nerf' this.

is the standalone KFC-minigame. It will show the real time after the time-limit for comparison.
When player say they can not solved it then you can believe them and this minigame is not so good to try it more as 8-10 times !!! And no I haven´t solved it. The chickens came to slow back so you must go a long way to get them and sometimes you must click two times on the chicken to kill it (why I don´t know).

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

Simply the fact you are likely younger, have better reflexes and enjoy games like tht, i never came further after 40 tried with DLC used as 58. :p Now it is up to you, but for at least part of your player base that suck at games as these there is not much fun if part of gameplay like making someone a model is hard locked behind a game they cannot win.

Reactions: bacchusplateau

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
I've created a to solve this.
Assuming you could set Meagan's highscore (that you would have to beat by one point).
What would you consider challenging but still doable number?
Obviously I don't want to dictate a difficulty that is to hard.

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
@f95zoneuser463

Maybe leave it the way it is and just have it set up if someone can't do it after so many tries a option pops up asking if they would like to change the number needed to win and if they click yes then set it to a lower amount like maybe 50 if after so many tries they still can't do it repeat the question and set it to 40 and so on till they win.

Reactions: DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
@f95zoneuser463

Maybe leave it the way it is and just have it set up if someone can't do it after so many tries a option pops up asking if they would like to change the number needed to win and if they click yes then set it to a lower amount like maybe 50 if after so many tries they still can't do it repeat the question and set it to 40 and so on till they win.
This seems pretty fair way to go about it especially for those who may have more specific problems with games like these for health reasons. For myself i think everything above 56 would be a fair challenge though might take me a try or ten to make that on a good run, I can reach 57 or 58 once every while.

Well was planning to anyway with future update, so decided to support you for a small amount now:)

Jan 24, 2019
I've created a to solve this.
Assuming you could set Meagan's highscore (that you would have to beat by one point).
What would you consider challenging but still doable number?
Obviously I don't want to dictate a difficulty that is to hard.
You could rewrite it so that she doesn't tell you and you see it after playing. Then you can make her score a bit less, as long as the player actually tried of course.

For your vote I'd say 50-52, but that might be impossible for people on a laptop.

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
If you can't even do a simple thread search or even click the link that Papy.ion6984 posted for you then we can't really help you.

Alanthos

May 10, 2018
You could rewrite it so that she doesn't tell you and you see it after playing. Then you can make her score a bit less, as long as the player actually tried of course.

For your vote I'd say 50-52, but that might be impossible for people on a laptop.
Using a laptop, took me 12 tries to get 35.

Hammel312

Jan 3, 2018
@DA22 Would you please be so kind to share your save? I checked the last few pages but couldn't find one and I don't want to start again! You would be our hero!

Reactions: bigmen
3.70 star(s) 6 Votes