PotatoG6

Jun 1, 2018
The whole "mods are coming any day now" thing played out, for months. Once that stopped, effectively all discussion around the game stopped where I could see.

Koikatsu, a game from May 2018, was a frequent visitor to the top selling lists all until its delisting. Koikatsu, while being more of a game than HoneyCome, was not really all that deep in and off itself. It was fine for a bit of fun, but by all rights, that game should have died months after release. But it didn't.

Why do you propose this is?
I mean, this isn’t exactly convincing evidence since you haven’t actually showed me anything. And at the end of the day, it’s speculation. Koikatsu is one of its kind since AA2 which helped with its hype and it had ongoing support from illusion. It’s not like Illusion forgotten about it after a few weeks.
Oh, and about ratings on DLSite, RoomGirl had excellent ratings on DLSite as well for like two months, at which point I stopped looking. This does have slightly better ratings on FANZA than RoomGirl had, though the text of the reviews are echoing the frustrations this side of the world is having. Amazon reviews for RoomGirl was quite bad, this one doesn't have a physical release, so that doesn't apply now.
Are we suddenly playing this game where ratings don’t matter on this site but somehow it does on another? Because you’re bringing up Fanza which has like what, 30 ratings or something compared to the thousands? Why does 30 ratings matter more than a thousand?

Also, the main criticism is the lack of content. This has to do with illusion not adding more content on launch rather than mods being harder to implement.

Last edited:

sunsamuel252

Nov 21, 2019
kind of disappointing to be brutally honest.. very basic Honey Select with Koikatsu exploration or i should say Academy

Greyvan

Mar 28, 2018
Let the game cook for a month, people expect way too much within zero day release.
You know, I was thinking today and, don't we found this one barebone right now because, most of the time, for us to play an Illusion game correctly in the past, we had to wait for the HG patch and by then, a lot of mods and all where already out, giving us the feeling that there was so much customization from the get to go ?

Ironhound

Jun 30, 2023
to be precise, these guys are outsource group who develop Koikatsu Sunshine before going independent.

Many people are acting dumb when it comes to this debacle, while I'm here not exactly surprised that this kind of stuff happened. In fact, I've seen it twice, though they're primarily visual novel studios.

ScrewThisNoise

Modder
Jun 24, 2019
I mean, this isn’t exactly convincing evidence since you haven’t actually showed me anything. And at the end of the day, it’s speculation. Koikatsu is one of its kind since AA2 which helped with its hype and it had ongoing support from illusion. It’s not like Illusion forgotten about it after a few weeks.

Are we suddenly playing this game where ratings don’t matter on this site but somehow it does on another? Because you’re bringing up Fanza which has like what, 30 ratings or something compared to the thousands? Why does 30 ratings matter more than a thousand?

Also, the main criticism is the lack of content. This has to do with illusion not adding more content on launch rather than mods being harder to implement.
We keep playing this game. I'll join you on the fence hoping this plays out better than I fear it will, and we'll see where it goes. That sound fine with you?

I take no pleasure shitting on this game... I find this sad more than anything. Koikatsu has been around since 2018, I so badly want a new full experience to dig my teeth into, but without proper modding... this just doesn't look like it. And that's before we go into the build by numbers deal we got going here.

You're saying modding is useless, and people will still flock to this game for years on end as is, with the minimal support Illusion offers their games? sure, I'll happily see where this goes, but first, can I make some predictions?

Going forward, for a few months at least, probably for the rest of the year, every second friday will be a announce, and the other a patch release. Most of these will already be done like a week ago, being held back in a bid to create a drip artificially carrying the game, with a costume or so in each update.

Expansion will be announced, probably late January, with a release late March. Said expansion will likely already be in the concluding stages already, only really getting minor work done on it until said time, and chances are it will cease development fully before it's announced, probably mid december. Expansion will get some updates, but most are fiddling around with content that was already made before mid december, possibly a fair bit of assets are already done.

Their next game will begin development immediately upon conclusion of the expansion, so mid december, for a release in September or October. And we already know this is a psuedo realistic game.

And thus end support, the cycle begins anew, and for all intents and purposes, the whole life of this game.

ScrewThisNoise

Modder
Jun 24, 2019
You know, I was thinking today and, don't we found this one barebone right now because, most of the time, for us to play an Illusion game correctly in the past, we had to wait for the HG patch and by then, a lot of mods and all where already out, giving us the feeling that there was so much customization from the get to go ?
Yes, and no.

For a lot of people, that is absolutely the case. They find out about the game very late in its lifespan, this causes them to think that the options are more varied than they really are from Illusions side. That absolutely has done this game no favours, for sure. Smart man, good observation, you're absolutely correct. :)

On the flip side of the coin, we have users that have been through this song and dance for several game releases. Sure, the Base release of any illusion game is lacking, but this has very much taken those of us that have been here for a while a bit by shoch. It's too lacking. I can spin up vanilla Koikatsu or HoneySelect 2 to prove my point, but ye.

That doesn't matter much... well, the main game being as barren as it is matters a lot, but... we usually have the prospect of incoming mods to offset any shortcomings from illusions side. This time? The prospect for mods is quite slim.

There's also the change in attitude... always online? no official character card sharing system? the small selection of clothes? The pressing of ToS in the users face, unenforcable as it is...

I dunno... I wasn't expecting much, as most of these warning lights were going off immediately upon announcement, and a lot of veteran users flagged it immediately, but I still find myself disappointed.

M Schum

Mar 27, 2018
Yes, that's not surprising. Clothing mods, Uncensor, Studio items, when that time comes... None of that requires touching code... for a while. The problem is plugins, so the functionality additions. That will also come into play when item IDs starts conflicting and plugins are required to allow for more IDs.
Look, I going to be honest and say what I am looking on these games is just H scenes, customization helps because of all the anime characters that naturally arent going to be on commercial products.

So that works just fine for me and I guess most people, the number of people that want to turn it into a VN engine is small since quite frankly we already have plenty of software that can do that, I recall Yuusha was that and I just turn off from that "game" and can you really blame the company from creating a game that isnt intended to function beyond being a game, they arent selling a shell of a engine so people can mod it and I dont think Unity would like that either, as long modding add customization I will be happy with it and I suspect thats the majority of people.

Also I suspect this is why their previous game bombed, people that want "gameplay" arent going to play a eroge just like people that pick say a "proper" game know there are no sex scenes (Hot Coffee not withstanding), I know some are going to say the sex is the reward for beating the game then I am going to say ... gamification is a really annoying thing, I dont want to play something just for the sake of completing the game, its because I enjoy the gameplay and if there are problems with it ... its not the sex scenes at the end that going to be enough for me to subject myself to something I dont enjoy.

I am happy some progress seems to be happening meaning people are more willing to work on modding this game, I guess people ditched Room Girl because of all the issues the game at a basic design level ... I mean, if all people want is a easy to mod game Skyrim is still around, Honey Select is also still around but this is the problem as if all people want is a shell for modding then we never move towards new games because new engine, new language, new learning ... we will be forever in the past.

ScrewThisNoise

Modder
Jun 24, 2019
I am happy some progress seems to be happening meaning people are more willing to work on modding this game, I guess people ditched Room Girl because of all the issues the game at a basic design level ... I mean, if all people want is a easy to mod game Skyrim is still around, Honey Select is also still around but this is the problem as if all people want is a shell for modding then we never move towards new games because new engine, new language, new learning ... we will be forever in the past.
I'm just gonna ignore the part where you declare what all users like to play, tastes and all that. I accept that that's fine with you.

On to the part I quoted. Yes, I am happy to see the base stuffs getting in motion, that was expected, but pleasant to see nonetheless. You are utterly misunderstanding why modding is running into a wall though. It's not a matter of learning, it's a matter of manually decoding. The floor for modding has been raised, and not just by a little, by a WHOLE LOT.

Decoding enough to make one of the advanced mods takes a lot of time and effort, and may be torn down every 2 weeks by illusion, by them just adjusting the game code a bit. We're not talking about "lazy modders", we're talking a situation where it's literally unreasonable to expect someone to go through that effort.

I'm bowing out, I have made my feelings relatively clear... It's overpriced and underperforming. I'll keep poking at this game, hope to get some stuffs out, but I'm deflated by this whole spiel.

If you enjoy this game, Super! I envy you.
This whole thing is a real bummer for me... It's depressing. I wish I could be so optimistic of the future of Illusion/ILLGAMES as you are. I have seen this movie before though, and I fear I've seen the end as well... Let's, both of us, hope I'm wrong, and I truly do hope I'm wrong.

NSoull

Mar 2, 2017
Hey STN, cheers. Using your repack right now, thanks.

On a different note from this conversation, since I already exhausted myself arguing with the blind who seem to think that every illusion game with proper modding support survived the test of time while every game that doesn't have died is a big coincidence, let me ask something else:

Assuming people start posting more modding stuff, even if non-plugin, where would those be at? I ask because I know the Illusion Soft discord server apparently won't be supporting this game. I know the Koikatsu server has a channel, but it seems barebones.

Assuming a budding modding community for this appears, or even just clothes and stuff, is there anywhere to find things? Because right now I only have the CultureFix and I don't even know what it does.

ScrewThisNoise

Modder
Jun 24, 2019
Hey STN, cheers. Using your repack right now, thanks.

On a different note from this conversation, since I already exhausted myself arguing with the blind who seem to think that every illusion game with proper modding support survived the test of time while every game that doesn't have died is a big coincidence, let me ask something else:

Assuming people start posting more modding stuff, even if non-plugin, where would those be at? I ask because I know the Illusion Soft discord server apparently won't be supporting this game. I know the Koikatsu server has a channel, but it seems barebones.

Assuming a budding modding community for this appears, or even just clothes and stuff, is there anywhere to find things? Because right now I only have the CultureFix and I don't even know what it does.
The Koikatsu server is hosting for this game as well. :giggle:

PotatoG6

Jun 1, 2018
We keep playing this game. I'll join you on the fence hoping this plays out better than I fear it will, and we'll see where it goes. That sound fine with you?

I take no pleasure shitting on this game... I find this sad more than anything. Koikatsu has been around since 2018, I so badly want a new full experience to dig my teeth into, but without proper modding... this just doesn't look like it. And that's before we go into the build by numbers deal we got going here.

You're saying modding is useless, and people will still flock to this game for years on end as is, with the minimal support Illusion offers their games? sure, I'll happily see where this goes, but first, can I make some predictions?

Going forward, for a few months at least, probably for the rest of the year, every second friday will be a announce, and the other a patch release. Most of these will already be done like a week ago, being held back in a bid to create a drip artificially carrying the game, with a costume or so in each update.

Expansion will be announced, probably late January, with a release late March. Said expansion will likely already be in the concluding stages already, only really getting minor work done on it until said time, and chances are it will cease development fully before it's announced, probably mid december. Expansion will get some updates, but most are fiddling around with content that was already made before mid december, possibly a fair bit of assets are already done.

Their next game will begin development immediately upon conclusion of the expansion, so mid december, for a release in September or October. And we already know this is a psuedo realistic game.

And thus end support, the cycle begins anew, and for all intents and purposes, the whole life of this game.
No, I don't think modding is useless. I'm sure it helps with sales. The problem is the amount of value people put toward mods and act like Illusion somehow can't exist without the modding community. That their game isn't good without mods. There's this weird sense of entitlement where they act like Illusion needs to listen to them because mods is their savior. It's simply disrespectful and I can see why Illusion wants to move away from the modding community. You can already see people act all smug and are wishing for them to go bankrupt.

kamsae

Sep 17, 2018
This whole thing is a real bummer for me... It's depressing. I wish I could be so optimistic of the future of Illusion/ILLGAMES as you are. I have seen this movie before though, and I fear I've seen the end as well... Let's, both of us, hope I'm wrong, and I truly do hope I'm wrong.
Used to be a mod in your discord server a long time ago, I wanna say 2018-2019. Hope you're doing well man.

But completely agree. It feels like we will not get another Koikatsu experience as far as modding goes, for a very long time, possibly forever.

RavenousRaven

Oct 17, 2018
Read the Dev company title and thought "Oh is this a new Koikatsu game... huh? Illgames? Sounds an awful lot like Illusion" which reminded me of this gem.

I then went down the rabbit hole of finding out that Illusion ceased to exist.

The end of an era. You will be missed for your great works, especially Artificial Academy 2.

Oghenekaro

Apr 14, 2021
I can't get over the fact that all they would have to do is literally slap the new visuals onto AA2 and it would be better than anything Illusion's put out in the last decade.
They are testing the waters with this game.
It looks great.
It runs great.

If they do a KK or AA with this and don't screw up anything like the lag, it'll be a great game.

Raandom

Sep 21, 2019
You care more about gameplay? Great but this game isn’t for you and that’s okay. It’s for me though because I value visuals above all. Visuals is what gives me a great fapping experience. Also lil bro bringing up genshin, a game worth hundreds of millions.
I mean yeah miHoYo invests in their game unlike Illusion who recycles the same game every time, makes it worse, overprices it then makes 5 more DLCS half the price of the original game which aren't really that impactful.
Sure you can be Illusion's fanboy but the way I see it they're just the hentai version of EA.

Last edited:

SpockBauru

Modder
Nov 6, 2018
How to make plugins for HoneyCome

Hey Everyone! I made some IL2CPP plugins for Room Girl (RG), but HoneyCome (HC) is not my cup of tea... So for people that like this game, here is a guide on how to make plugins!

But first, what is IL2CPP? Take a look here:
In this text, the only difference from Room Girl to HoneyCome is that RG uses HDRP and HC uses URP. Fun fact: URP is the reason why HC is light and performant!

Now lets start making plugins!

First and most important: You need to know how to program for the Unity Engine. I recommend to do at least the first mission of this course made by Unity itself:

After knowing about Unity, take a look at the BepInEx documentation:
Give a special attention to HarmonyX:
Is a good idea to know how to use the original Harmony:

For HoneyCome, the game code is in the file GameFolder\BepInEx\interop\Assembly-CSharp.dll. To patch the game code, first use ILSpy to take a look what code is inside: (Note: the decompilation is not perfect)

Here is a template to make plugins for IL2CPP that I made for Room Girl. Since HoneyCome use a newer version of BepInEx you will need to change the old "Unhollower" things to the new "interop":

You can compare some (very basic) ports from mono to IL2CPP with BepInEx Utility. Just remember that new BepInEx uses interop instead of Unhollower:
Original BepInEx Utility:
Ported BepInEx Utility:

Here are my plugins for Room Girl, use at will :D

Bonus:

In RoomGirl I used this tool to explore things inside the game, I don't know if it works for newer BepInEx:
Edit: Seems like this guy updated for new BepInEx, I didn't tested tho:

Tip from a lazy plugin maker:
When making the project library in Visual Studio, I usually copy all the folder BepInEx\core and the libraries folders "GameFolder\BepInEx\interop" and "GameFolder\BepInEx\unity-libs" to a new folder called GameLibraries inside the solution folder, this way is easier to refer to them later.

Some IL2CPP limitations:

Anything that's a transplier is straight up impossible and needs to be worked around if at all possible. So older things that use this feature like SliderUnlocker (AKA Wideslider) cannot be ported, you will need to remade from scratch.

GUI related everything is terrible.

Lack of documentation. You will need to closely watch BepInEx Discord discussions to know what is going on. Avoid asking questions there, use the search function. Remember that we are simple mortals. Let the wizzards talk, we just listen.

Last edited:
2.90 star(s) 26 Votes