BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
that is the opposite of sandbox. VN has better game direction as sandbox gets lost with lack of direction. and sandbox never holds story threads together better than VN. sandbox almost always have continuity errors or is not a cohesive story because it is the opposite of what you said it cant keep plot threads together because it is not one story. Sandbox are usually disjointed stories revolving around the mc that dont interact with other characters because they dont track progress with other characters. Sandbox are also filled with bugs and bloat and i dont see how trying to track down a specific character on a specific day at a specific time and if you miss have to skip days and repeat per event adds direction?
In this game, as it stands, it's better with VN than with sandbox. If the game included "improve your character, get weapons and equipment, develop your kingdom..." a VN wouldn't make sense, but a sandbox or RPG would.

Besides, not everything you've said is true. You can create continuity and interaction between the different stories in a Sandbox, only that it can become tedious and complex to advance in the story if you do that and you don't have a hint system that allows you to know what you have to do to advance in the different plots. Anyway, as I say, as this game is intended, a VN is much better than a sandbox.

Hornyowl

Jun 4, 2020
that is the opposite of sandbox. VN has better game direction as sandbox gets lost with lack of direction. and sandbox never holds story threads together better than VN. sandbox almost always have continuity errors or is not a cohesive story because it is the opposite of what you said it cant keep plot threads together because it is not one story. Sandbox are usually disjointed stories revolving around the mc that dont interact with other characters because they dont track progress with other characters. Sandbox are also filled with bugs and bloat and i dont see how trying to track down a specific character on a specific day at a specific time and if you miss have to skip days and repeat per event adds direction?
You've actually identified the issues with a certain type of sandbox game, but not this one. Not all sandbox games have or need to have time limitations and I think that's where the problems crop up. In this one, for example, you did not have to complete X quest by a certain time. It worked well and there were no bugs that I experienced. I have played others where having to complete a task by a certain time (and not being able to do so) creates havoc in the game. If the dev simply removes that aspect from the code, it will be fine. If a dev really feels that the time constraint element is integral to the plot/game then he/she should spend the time and properly implement the game code. In many cases, the 'bugs' that players complain about are actually due to a poorly written script/dialogue, not the sandbox aspect of the game.

As far as the other issues you raised are concerned, I've never experienced any. If you look at "mainstream' games from large game studios (e.g. any Bethesda game) they are all essentially sandbox (with time constraints in some cases as well) in that there are multiple quests in different areas. I don't hear anyone complain that they lost track of the plot or that the game lacks cohesiveness. In many of them doing one quest may actually nullify or cause another quest to become unplayable but again, I don't hear anyone complaining

I have played a few sandbox games on F95 ('few' because of some of the tags, NOT because they are sandbox) and don't find they consist of disjointed stories. In most cases they may seem (and some are) peripheral to the main plot but all serve a purpose as far as the MC completing certain tasks are concerned. In this one for example, the MC has to go to different areas looking for jobs so that he can pay for something. How is that disjointed? Plus, wasn't there a log to help the player keep track of what was done? If you, as a player, are unable to keep up with a sandbox story(especially one as simple as this one) then fine, but that's on you...stop blaming and stereotyping the game.

In this game, as it stands, it's better with VN than with sandbox. If the game included "improve your character, get weapons and equipment, develop your kingdom..." a VN wouldn't make sense, but a sandbox or RPG would.

Besides, not everything you've said is true. You can create continuity and interaction between the different stories in a Sandbox, only that it can become tedious and complex to advance in the story if you do that and you don't have a hint system that allows you to know what you have to do to advance in the different plots. Anyway, as I say, as this game is intended, a VN is much better than a sandbox.
I don't know what the dev intended as far as game development was concerned. However, in this case, if my memory serves me correctly, there was an inventory tab and a quest log. Just like the poster above (thy Fallen One) you're stereotyping games when you make the statement
as this game is intended, a VN is much better than a sandbox.

Oct 22, 2017
I don't know what the dev intended as far as game development was concerned. However, in this case, if my memory serves me correctly, there was an inventory tab and a quest log. Just like the poster above (thy Fallen One) you're stereotyping games when you make the statement
While I would second that those problems mentioned aren't inherent to Sandbox, they mostly wouldn't arise without the Sandbox. The very structure of a sandbox opens a game up to being vulnerable to these problems due to its very structure.

You can do Sandbox without a time element - but if you don't have to feed the pigs at 10 AM but can do so whenever, the difference between having to open the map and click on it, or just going there because the VN makes you is very minimal. And if you have to wait until 10 AM and somehow fill or skip the 4 time-slots before - that's not really interesting to me.

Regarding consistency/continuity - yes, you can make the events dependent on each other, and with 5 events that is fine. But if your game consists of 100 events in 6 paths that depend on each other and might even mix, without the mentioned log you are possibly at a loss as the player. And the developer will have a hard time not missing any dependencies and avoiding those continuity errors.
Why do so, if a fixed structure makes it easier on the development and the player can just enjoy the story instead of constantly checking their log?

SandBox may be good if you have your emphasis on the game aspect, VN is mostly much better if you want it to be on the story.

I find it funny your example is Bethesda - I know of no one personally that likes those games because of their great and emphasized main story. (The universes have, but that is lore, not the actual games.)
A lot of the side quests have nothing to do with anything besides making the world feel alive and giving you more hours of exploration.
A lot of stuff is buggy.

The games are mostly toolkits with some basic plot to keep it together a little and the point that made them great is mostly their toolbox character so fans can create their own content and quests.
And even there - although it got better with each installment, for games so dependent on mods, their modding systems weren't that great.

Reactions: punisher2099

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
Actually I'm saying this because of how the sandbox was made: The game basically consisted of a series of missions in which to get the next one you had to finish the active one and which basically consisted of going to a specific location and nothing more. The system was (not a real game play): talk to the blacksmith, after that the game told you to go to the square, and once there and seen the scene, it told you that you had to go to the farm... Going to another location was useless, because there was only one active and triggerable event that was the main story.

I really don't see how a game that is absolutely linear can be better in a sandbox format than in a VN format. If the intention was to include optional side quests, or that depending on the development of the MC's abilities you could open certain events (even all of them if you spend enough time developing the MC), then a sanbox would be an interesting option. But as I say, using a sanbox in a game that has a linear story is not practical.

Fazed

Nov 21, 2018
On the question of futa, I am not a lover of this genre. I have tried to include it in Max's life but with poor results. I am always afraid of getting something wrong, having never explored it thoroughly.

I will try to see or play some games thoroughly to try to understand some things. Maybe in the future I might think about it. If you have any to recommend, you can post them here please.
Idk if you are still looking into reference material or have decided against, but I found something that might help. It's not a "bible" but I think the artist did a pretty good job of explaining and also giving some ideas.
I'd take it from a Japanese hentai artist before anywhere else.

Feel free to disregard if you have decided not to.

1684425127538.png

P.S. Full package futa is superior :BootyTime:

Last edited:

Rouruki

May 31, 2021
I think this should add Kinetic Novel tag. I don't see much dialog choices at all.

Last edited:

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
So is the plan for the mc in the future, to move freely between the fantasy and real world?

crivella

Sep 27, 2017
Complimenti, davvero un bel gioco :)

And thank you very much for not having left the italian language out

4.10 star(s) 52 Votes