VN Ren'Py How I Became the Bodyguard of the Saintess! [v0.6] [Lunardis]

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

Dulcidine

May 31, 2020
I won't lie. I've always kind of rolled my eyes whenever games come out using, is it Honey Select?, as graphics. So I came into playing this with a bias. I now realize that I was quite incorrect. I enjoyed this far more than I expected. An easy check I always have for stories is when I reach the end/a cliffhanger I want to flip a table in impatience because now I'm invested. And that certainly happened. Well done.

Shadowen

Oct 19, 2018
I have to admit, I missed this at 1st; but replaying the start made me realize something

Her right hand looks to be in an awfully unnatural position... and that must hurt, unless she's like magically extra/super flexible. lol If not... then just how is she smiling at this time, considering she must be in some pain? hahaha, or able to wield a sword with that hand considering just how broken her wrist must be. lol

(I tried to duplicate the positioning myself, and can't come close. Tho I'm not all that flexible I'll admit).

Guess this is why she runs out of magic juice so quickly... it's gotta compensate for her broken wrist all the time! :p

Jun 30, 2017
finished the game, and i must say, i break down laughing when the princess trying to sword duel with MC and when the Swordman think he pick up the easy target, it actually the hardest target. Both father and daughter, their disbelief reaction is freaking funny

Anyway the game is good, still what about other routes you mentioned??, i'm really interest and curious in the suppose Goddess route

Reactions: Ulquiorra321

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
Oops, there were some questions I haven't answered yet. Sorry for the delay. I hope I didn't miss anything this time.

I'm concerned because if the arcs are going to be both romance and major arcs, major story points could be changed/ruined depending on just which character arcs get done first.

IE: If say Angie's gets done before Princess, and a major point of Angies story arc is breaking the stranglehold the PM/country has on her... that will likely change how things are with the Princess' story, which is obviously trying to break the extortion over her country (ie "do as we say, or no Saintess to save you")... extortion that will likely/maybe be not a concern if Angie's not under PM's control anymore (ie Angie will tell the PM to bugger off with that crap, and devise means with the Princess/Knights/etc to be alerted so she can go save Sword Kingdom regardless of politics).

However if the character arc's are only going to be focusing on personal romance/relationship, and major plot points such as Sword kingdom's extortion, PM's control over Angie, etc will progress regardless of Romance/relationship arc then my concerns are moot.
Each route takes place in a kind of parallel universe. What happens in Saki's route will have no impact on the other routes, and vice versa. For example, and this is just an example, MC could marry Saki and become the king of the sword country in her route, but remain a simple bodyguard in Angelica's route.

Based on the in-game explanation from the magician we went to for help (sorry, can't remember his name), the curse that was cast was a 'lovers bond' curse that tied the victim to the caster. Yet in this case the MC isn't tied to Melope, but is tied to Angie instead.

So Melope cast a curse at Angie that apparently should have tied Angie to Melope... but we intercepted it and took the curse instead... but instead of tying the MC to Melope, as should have been the case as per the explanation, we're tied to Angie instead.

I'll admit I'm confused about this. It could be that I have missed something in the explanation of the curse as to how it worked - ie say it wasn't a curse that tied someone to the caster, but tied 2 ppl who were standing close together when the curse hit, which is exactly how it was with MC and Angie. Or it could be that it wasn't explained fully intentionally at the time (either by choice of magician, or ignorance / lack of understanding or knowledge) and will be something that gets explained later on.
Hmm I didn't think people would be interested, but if you want to have more information about it, sure:

Melope's curse is very special, mainly because the girl doesn't construct her spell very well. She just casts her spell, full of emotions and feelings, improvising, and waits to see what will happen. To put it another way, her curse are sometimes very unstable.

To explain a little more:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I have to admit, I missed this at 1st; but replaying the start made me realize something

Her right hand looks to be in an awfully unnatural position... and that must hurt, unless she's like magically extra/super flexible. lol If not... then just how is she smiling at this time, considering she must be in some pain? hahaha, or able to wield a sword with that hand considering just how broken her wrist must be. lol

(I tried to duplicate the positioning myself, and can't come close. Tho I'm not all that flexible I'll admit).

Guess this is why she runs out of magic juice so quickly... it's gotta compensate for her broken wrist all the time! :p
I told you the Saintess was a really amazing person:p

On a more serious note, I'm going to correct this one for the next version. I try to look at my previous renderings from time to time and correct my most obvious mistake, but I didn't see this one.

Many thanks!

Anyway the game is good, still what about other routes you mentioned??, i'm really interest and curious in the suppose Goddess route
I've set a goal in my Patreon and Subscibestar for two new routes focused on secondary characters. If we reach that goal, and my supporter chooses the Goddess as one of the characters they want to see, you'll get it (yes, I know, that's a lot of ifs).

Shadowen

Oct 19, 2018
Each route takes place in a kind of parallel universe. What happens in Saki's route will have no impact on the other routes, and vice versa. For example, and this is just an example, MC could marry Saki and become the king of the sword country in her route, but remain a simple bodyguard in Angelica's route.
I'll admit I'm still curious as to how this will be done - note, I'm not trying to say don't do it! Would it be like when you get to the end of this main story segment you will then have a menu you can pick from, so you can then pick which characters 'arc' you play, and when that is done it returns you to that menu and basically rewinds time... so when you pick another arc is acts as if it was done right after the initial main story... and so on till all 'arcs' done and you can then continue the main story (if there is one at that point).

(Hope I described that well enough. lol)

Also: You heard it here folks. We're gonna marry the Sword Princess, become the Sword King... then we'll kill the PM, take over the Saintesses realm, marry the Saintess, merge the 2 kingdoms... we'll then go invade the heavens, kick the butt of the Gods and Goddesses there and take over Godhood for the world! :p

Hmm I didn't think people would be interested, but if you want to have more information about it, sure:

To explain a little more:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thank you for the explanation. Truthfully most people didn't really bother thinking about the whole curse thing. I can just sometimes get a case of OCD regarding details... and they go over and over in my mind so I have to find out. LOL

Your explanation does make perfect sense when I think about it (both reasons. hahaha).

Also regarding the hand pose - I will say it's obvious that you have been paying attention and learning as you go, as you do have Angie striking a similar pose... and there is no hand/wrist demormities at all. So obviously you got better at it as time went on. So good work, and keep it up :)

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
I must say, even without the sex scenes, this game was very interesting. I can't wait for the next chapters. I think once this game is completed, I'm going to re-download it again and play the whole version. I think this would make such an awesome TV series lol like others just like this that I played. If I was the Dev, I would make a DVD and a stream version of this game and make money off the DVDs.

Shadowen

Oct 19, 2018
This release also included the transcendances scenes done by Cephalon Wilzuki. I hope you like his work? If so, feel free to leave a positive comment, as I'm sure he'll be very happy to read it.
Forgot to ask - and sorry if this seems dum dum as it's been explained before - but what scenes are these?

Based on the definition, I'm thinking the Sword Princess vs MC and MC vs Swordsman (part 1) maybe? If so, I thought that both scenes were great, and added something extra to the scenes rather than the Princess/MC thinking "I feel overwhelemed / outmatched".

fgh24

Feb 8, 2019
in truth i think that ordinary boy should have incredle power much more powerful then the saint and the opposite one but it was sealed would make a great story

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Lunardis

Shadowen

Oct 19, 2018
View attachment 2265514 View attachment 2265518 View attachment 2265523
These scenes. At first, I did something to show these special techniques, as best as I could with my experience, then I replaced it with Cephalon Wilzuki's work :giggle:
Ahhh those scenes! Well, I for one thought that they were great scenes. Actually something not seen (by me at least) very often, and I thought it really added a great flair and touch to those sword skills. So good work on them to Cephalon Wilzuki and your use of them! :)

And I also realize I am a dum dum, as the game calls them transcendence skills... and I didn't pick that up. Pffft. lol

• Red Heart

Aug 14, 2018
This looks interesting, but tags are kind of sparse. So I was wondering how much action there is in the current version of the game to decide if I already want to give it a try or rather wait a bit. However, I will try it sooner or later anyway.
Oh and please no spoilers ! :)

Phase_01

Nov 27, 2021
I won't lie. I've always kind of rolled my eyes whenever games come out using, is it Honey Select?, as graphics. So I came into playing this with a bias. I now realize that I was quite incorrect. I enjoyed this far more than I expected. An easy check I always have for stories is when I reach the end/a cliffhanger I want to flip a table in impatience because now I'm invested. And that certainly happened. Well done.
I highly recommend some of the other top rated games on this site as well, I also had a negative view towards the Illusion-made games, both Koikatsu and Honey Select, but I learned that its the dev that's important, not the character engine used.

Jaxom3003

Feb 5, 2021
Many thanks for making this game. I do enjoy the story, and the writing is engaging enough to keep my interest. I usually play these games for fun, not really for the "action" so to speak ... that is not to say that I do not appreciate the artwork and the animations, and such that go into these games.

This game has been a refreshing surprise in that the MC is just an "average" guy.

The fun twist at the end is also well done. I am looking forward to the update.

I am not too sure about the whole alternate reality thing ... but I am interested to see where it goes. I am sure that creating a game such as this is not easy, so I cannot complain about the direction that is being taken. Maybe down the line you will consider merging the realities ... ;)

Incest games fan

Jun 16, 2019
Now i understand why individual Villains are cool. They can do whatever they want without an ungrateful bastard enslaving them.

Jul 24, 2022
How I Became The Bodyguard Of The Saintess
Version: 0.3.5
Type: VN - Heavy Story
Content: Medium
Pacing: Steady
Plot line: Main Charm Of The Game - Darkness vs Light - Saintess/Knights vs Monsters/Criminals
Setting: Extraordinary Childhoodfriend (Saintess) but ordinary MC - Curse of Union - Can't go too far away

Character Models: Really Good
Personalities: Main Charm Of The Game - Masterfully rendered - emotions, thought processes and subconcious acts perfected

Music: Awesome - really immersive
Animation: None yet but great diaporama

Thoughts: When the game is so good it's hard to pick a BEST category...
I also have really high expections for future animations considering how good the diaporamas were.
However, if you are not condifident your animations are just as good, I recommend staying with diaporamas.
It would be awkward for H-scenes though... (Please let your animations be good amen)

KayalDraknys

Nov 19, 2020
The second she stated it was like fighting a wall and she would be crushed, I knew. I KNEW. The one he fought hundreds of times, and always lost....was against his sister. Always comparing his skills and strengths to HER.

Reactions: taeh44 and Shadowen
4.60 star(s) 29 Votes