-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
How to fix this
IDK why you would get that, but basically it means what it says: the code has indentation at the start of the file. Ren'Py uses indentation (spaces, never tab characters) in its code to indicate subsections. (Python, upon which Ren'Py is based, does this as well.) For example, when a menu appears, you'll have something like the below.
Python:
menu:
    "menu choice 1":
        ---STUFF HAPPENS HERE---
    "menu choice 2":
        ---OTHER STUFF HAPPENS HERE---
Because indentation indicates that things "belong" to what's above them ("---STUFF HAPPENS HERE---" is a part of picking "menu choice 1", and so on), the beginning of the script file should never have indentation. It's the beginning of everything and so isn't dependent on anything else in the game.

I do not know how you got the first line indented, though, but I think you should be able to fix this. Close the game completely and then open the \game folder (wherever you have the main folder for How It All Began saved). With that open, right-click on the file called script.rpy and open it with even a basic text editor. Delete any indenting from the very first line of the file and then save it again. Finally, you want to delete the RPYC that's normally automatically generated with the game; so locate script.rpyc if you can and delete the file if it exists (it's possible it's not there). Now restart the game and the error should hopefully be gone.

Uji00000

May 2, 2022
IDK why you would get that, but basically it means what it says: the code has indentation at the start of the file. Ren'Py uses indentation (spaces, never tab characters) in its code to indicate subsections. (Python, upon which Ren'Py is based, does this as well.) For example, when a menu appears, you'll have something like the below.
Python:
menu:
    "menu choice 1":
        ---STUFF HAPPENS HERE---
    "menu choice 2":
        ---OTHER STUFF HAPPENS HERE---
Because indentation indicates that things "belong" to what's above them ("---STUFF HAPPENS HERE---" is a part of picking "menu choice 1", and so on), the beginning of the script file should never have indentation. It's the beginning of everything and so isn't dependent on anything else in the game.

I do not know how you got the first line indented, though, but I think you should be able to fix this. Close the game completely and then open the \game folder (wherever you have the main folder for How It All Began saved). With that open, right-click on the file called script.rpy and open it with even a basic text editor. Delete any indenting from the very first line of the file and then save it again. Finally, you want to delete the RPYC that's normally automatically generated with the game; so locate script.rpyc if you can and delete the file if it exists (it's possible it's not there). Now restart the game and the error should hopefully be gone.
Can you do this for me,

• Thinking Face
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Can you do this for me,
TL;DR: Try it now, replacing what you have with this attachment instead. (Right-click and choose "Save link as..." to download it instead of viewing it in your browser.)

I don't know how the code in the file got all janked up, but every indent was done using a tab character. Ren'Py doesn't accept tab characters, which should have instead been spaces (4 or so) whenever indenting was intended. Anyway, I first removed the initial indenting that shouldn't have been there (the very top of the script file, not counting the first comments). Then, I just did a Find-and-Replace so all tab characters were replaced with 4 spaces. So indenting that should exist does, but it's now using characters acceptable to Ren'Py. Hopefully this will fix the problem for you.

Reactions: Uji00000

Uji00000

May 2, 2022
TL;DR: Try it now, replacing what you have with this attachment instead. (Right-click and choose "Save link as..." to download it instead of viewing it in your browser.)

I don't know how the code in the file got all janked up, but every indent was done using a tab character. Ren'Py doesn't accept tab characters, which should have instead been spaces (4 or so) whenever indenting was intended. Anyway, I first removed the initial indenting that shouldn't have been there (the very top of the script file, not counting the first comments). Then, I just did a Find-and-Replace so all tab characters were replaced with 4 spaces. So indenting that should exist does, but it's now using characters acceptable to Ren'Py. Hopefully this will fix the problem for you.
Thanks buddy it's working now ☺

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Zemax

☠︎︎ The real world is where the monsters are ☠︎︎
Modder
Uploader
Aug 19, 2022
Interesting I will try this game

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Game Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
Hard to say, TBH. It could be (hasn't been a post on Patreon since January), but it also previously had seemed dead and then a release came out. You might want just to keep watching this thread for now.
I hadn't checked this game in a long time, it seems (whatever you want to think, I give people the benefit of the doubt), something about his parents in a car accident.

New Story Update

As I came back from my leave, I was looking at the lastest update that had to be finished but
unfortunately I wasn't happy with the update. I know A lot of you really love when I do continue the same stories one after the other but I think Im gonna need to take a break from It to keep from getting burnt out. But I am still very interested in making the same style and genre I wanted to create something new from scratch and Here she is. This is Alexis a long time single mother coming to terms with the urges that her young son has been struggling with, small things at first but then taking a much darker turn.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Why is it not indicated that the game is abandoned?
The rules for getting the Abandoned label — if they have not officially declared a game abandoned — are that there hasn't been any contact from the developer in the past 3 months, or that there hasn't been a game update within the past 18 months (regardless of developer communication). The last update post on Patreon was August 30, so it's not been quite 3 months yet (although it's pretty close now). Also, the last release was about 11 months ago, so we have a ways to go on that requirement as well.

Reactions: Dufy
2.80 star(s) 23 Votes