Tutorial [ILLUSION] HS2 Studio Neo|Chara Maker - (Help & guides Thread)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah and guess which one I have :) R8.

I've ceased to update the BetterRepack since the lose-all-my-fucking-data-and-corrupt-the-game incident of 2019. (All my fault, but still - I now prefer to just manually add mods.)

Reactions: Mr-Fox

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
You can bug Keitaro about switching absolute paths to relative paths. I think he does take feedback when determining what features to implement / adjust. He is on Illusion discord, the guy who shares the VNGE updates.
I may just do that...it doesn't even sound like a hard thing to do as far as my limited experience can tell me...It's pretty much a default for me in all projects that involve it but I guess it also depends greatly on the way SNv2 does things

Reactions: Sepheyer

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
Anyone have any experience using Reflection Probes (in the Graphics plugin)?

I'm able to use a Reflection Probe, more or less get it to reflect in the area I want, etc. But, what tends to happen is that it reflects a snapshot of the surroundings (I think the snapshot from the scene started). So, reflections of characters will be completely static. I want it to reflect things moving in real time.

I enable NoTimeSlicing on the Reflection Probe, and have enabled Realtime Reflection Probes and Pulse them at about 2 seconds. (Have tried disabling pulsing too, to no avail.)

What gives?

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
Anyone have any experience using Reflection Probes (in the Graphics plugin)?

I'm able to use a Reflection Probe, more or less get it to reflect in the area I want, etc. But, what tends to happen is that it reflects a snapshot of the surroundings (I think the snapshot from the scene started). So, reflections of characters will be completely static. I want it to reflect things moving in real time.

I enable NoTimeSlicing on the Reflection Probe, and have enabled Realtime Reflection Probes and Pulse them at about 2 seconds. (Have tried disabling pulsing too, to no avail.)

What gives?
Perhaps the limitations of the shader? :unsure: See if you can use a different one. Just a thought.

Reactions: drowsy

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
Perhaps the limitations of the shader? :unsure: See if you can use a different one. Just a thought.
Could be, I'm working on a Map with a window which is supposed to be reflective and AFAIK there's no way to edit the materials/shaders of Map objects (?). Just disable/enable them. I'd replace it with a custom glass plane but it's shaped weirdly, so that's easier said than done. I'll try tho, thanks.

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
Could be, I'm working on a Map with a window which is supposed to be reflective and AFAIK there's no way to edit the materials/shaders of Map objects (?). Just disable/enable them. I'd replace it with a custom glass plane but it's shaped weirdly, so that's easier said than done. I'll try tho, thanks.
Oh, I thought it was reflection of a character. :LOL: Derp..

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
Yeah I highly doubt that HS2 can do anything even resembling realtime raytracing or anything even remotely similar, I suspect it would be required.
I don't know enough to give you any actual help, sorry.

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
Yes, so there's a window, it's supposed to reflect a character (and any other things that move in the vicinity).

The window does show a reflection, but the reflection is static. It shows the character in the T-pose or whatever pose it had when loading up the scene. I think you were right and the issue is with the shader of the window and not the settings for the Reflection Probe. Obviously other items (like Cur's mirrors or Conq's glass planes that I'm looking at now) have realtime reflections.

Yeah I highly doubt that HS2 can do anything even resembling realtime raytracing or anything even remotely similar, I suspect it would be required.
I don't know enough to give you any actual help, sorry.
With the Graphics plugin (which is decently powerful imo) we can set up reflection probes

So we can get pretty lifelike lighting and reflections. It just takes a lot of trial and error to get it to look good.

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
Yes, so there's a window, it's supposed to reflect a character (and any other things that move in the vicinity).

The window does show a reflection, but the reflection is static. It shows the character in the T-pose or whatever pose it had when loading up the scene. I think you were right and the issue is with the shader of the window and not the settings for the Reflection Probe. Obviously other items (like Cur's mirrors or Conq's glass planes that I'm looking at now) have realtime reflections.

With the Graphics plugin (which is decently powerful imo) we can set up reflection probes

So we can get pretty lifelike lighting and reflections. It just takes a lot of trial and error to get it to look good.
Cool. I have messed around with the graphic mod plugin quite a bit and recognize "reflection probe" but has not had a scenario that I needed it as far as I know. Let us know what you come up with so we all can learn together. :) (y)

*Very interesting read, the unity3d manual about reflection probes.

** Just remembered that I have used glasses on some characters but it was only using light reflection and not any reflection of the surroundings. I also use the deepdive eyes all the time simply because eyes without any actual reflection looks dead to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: drowsy

Noa69

Feb 13, 2018
Oh man, I just update the BR from R09 to R11 and I don't like the new names for some menu (for example "Attack" become "Toy with Her"). Some of them even still in errr... Japanese or Chinese? :( Can someone tell me which plugin I should replace to bring back R09 menu style
Thanks

Nvm, I just need to replace the "Translation" folder with the older one :)
So R11 need a fix it seems...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr-Fox and Kaseijin

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
I'm so fucking peeved by the sounds in the studio to be honest...I've been looking for so long and I still haven't found a good solution...
The way you mentioned has those limitations..
VNGE sound imports get screwed up unless you set the SAME EXACT PATH to the sound files on EVERY system you want them to be played on (fucking impossible) and as far as I can tell, there's no other way
im mad :-(
Can't you just load them as sound on MMDD? I just tested, and you can definitely play multiple .wav (and .ogg) sounds/songs at once. Clicking on Setup for the sound, you can enable 3d sound and place it either manually on XYZ coordinates or attached to actors in the scene.

MMDD can link to VNanime clips too, enabling full control of the sound, its position, etc.

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Can't you just load them as sound on MMDD? I just tested, and you can definitely play multiple .wav (and .ogg) sounds/songs at once. Clicking on Setup for the sound, you can enable 3d sound and place it either manually on XYZ coordinates or attached to actors in the scene.

MMDD can link to VNanime clips too, enabling full control of the sound, its position, etc.
thanks bro, will search MMDD and see what I can find to do this.
here's a lil reward
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Kaseijin

Velcrofly

Jan 25, 2021
I think it's a gap on this guide thread.
I found VNGE relatively easy to get the hand of. Just need to remember to keep saving your work.
Have a look at some of Daggoth's work to see what can be achieved.
I got the hang of it by trial and error after looking at other people's scenes.
I seem to recall there being a useful VNGE guide on YouTube, but I don't recall which one,

Reactions: Mr-Fox

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
As my profile says, I'm a newby. Is there any resource or tutorial so I can see or learn how to make this possible on my VNGE scenes? Thanks in advance.
Here's a basic tutorial made by Countd360, who worked on both MMDD and VNGE (lots more related tutorials on that channel). Enable subtitles:

MMDD comes with BetterRepack, but you might have to press F1 in Studio, search for MMDD and activate it or something.

It is designed for making music videos, but you can skip past the motion file and just add sound files. Note that you can play VNanime clips from inside MMDD (making custom keyframe animations start/stop at whatever timing you want) as well. It's kind of an all-in-one "director" plugin.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote