VN Ren'Py In for a Penny [v0.51] [Moist Sponge Productions]

3.50 star(s) 56 Votes

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Man, I want to like this game so bad, but the MC is such a wimp. I don't understand what the dev is trying to do here, because none of this makes any logical sense at all. Especially when you consider the fact that, as everyone else has already pointed out, most of the women have absolutely no issue with him jumping their bones. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of women in the "sexual aquarium" are practically throwing themselves at him. So, what is the developer trying to do here? Are they trying to say that a guy shouldn't have sex with a woman even if they've been given the okay by the woman themselves? I understand that the MC doesn't have much experience with women, but this is not the way to show it. Seriously, the MC is acting as though that if he so much as asks for a blowjob, he'll spontaneously combust and the universe will literally implode on itself. It really isn't a very appealing thing to watch, considering that this is supposed to be a harem game about a dude getting his dick wet in an "alien" town called "HaremVille" for christ's sake.

C'mon dev, I know you can do better than this. The potential is there but you're just not exercising it.
Maybe Dev is setting up some sort of alien sabotage plot? Remember that this MC wasn't the first pick. Of course, that would only works if you keep players playing the game.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Man, I want to like this game so bad, but the MC is such a wimp. I don't understand what the dev is trying to do here, because none of this makes any logical sense at all. Especially when you consider the fact that, as everyone else has already pointed out, most of the women have absolutely no issue with him jumping their bones. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of women in the "sexual aquarium" are practically throwing themselves at him. So, what is the developer trying to do here? Are they trying to say that a guy shouldn't have sex with a woman even if they've been given the okay by the woman themselves? I understand that the MC doesn't have much experience with women, but this is not the way to show it. Seriously, the MC is acting as though that if he so much as asks for a blowjob, he'll spontaneously combust and the universe will literally implode on itself. It really isn't a very appealing thing to watch, considering that this is supposed to be a harem game about a dude getting his dick wet in an "alien" town called "HaremVille" for christ's sake.

C'mon dev, I know you can do better than this. The potential is there but you're just not exercising it.
It's a bit slow but I feel like MC is sizing up the relationship dynamics of the place, like if fucking one girl right away would lock him out of any chance with some others. Also trying to figure out WTF is happening with the two supernatural entities that just fucking disappeared, one of whom is haunting his dreams, the other missing people that are hinted at, and the sudden personality change of one of the characters, which I have solid theories on already. Also it picks up a bit on the fucking side towards the end. He's also extremely self-conscious and that aspect is pretty well written into the story. Not saying I don't think it could use a bit of picking up but I see the story for what it is.

Terut

Nov 16, 2017
Wait, what? I'm doing the photoshoot with Robyn and Samantha, and it's saying something about collecting masks.

Maybe I'm crazy, but this has been a completely story-driven visual novel, with absolutely no opportunity to find masks or whatever.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Wait, what? I'm doing the photoshoot with Robyn and Samantha, and it's saying something about collecting masks.

Maybe I'm crazy, but this has been a completely story-driven visual novel, with absolutely no opportunity to find masks or whatever.
I think they were going to put a minigame in the photoshoot, but decided against it at some point, and decided to give the scenes you would have gotten if you had won the scrapped minigame without changing the dialogue. You don't end up missing out on anything if that's what you're wondering.

Loganfin

Dec 2, 2020

I haven't played the last few versions, but in the last one that I did several months ago, there was a small mini game where the goal was to find a handful of masks within a couple of rooms. It seemed like that would be step one for a jumping off point into a more open world/sandbox type of experience, but to this point I don't know if the dev is progressing with that. I'm personally waiting to see if they do before playing again, because the heavy dialogue hallway VN is just too much for me.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
I haven't played the last few versions, but in the last one that I did several months ago, there was a small mini game where the goal was to find a handful of masks within a couple of rooms. It seemed like that would be step one for a jumping off point into a more open world/sandbox type of experience, but to this point I don't know if the dev is progressing with that. I'm personally waiting to see if they do before playing again, because the heavy dialogue hallway VN is just too much for me.
I guess they removed all open world elements then, because I saw hints at a "free roam" mode that never materialized, and then the mask setup without a minigame included must mean they have gone in a different direction than initially envisioned. Not sure what's going on between that and removed content. Doesn't give confidence that they 100% know where they're going with this. I do like the story and all the overarching meta elements seem to be well laid out, even though I can hear the grating British accent by dint of the syntax that I know American/Canadian/Australian/New Zealander English speakers probably wouldn't use (merely a point of personal dislike of modern British English =P).

I'm not one who's picky about gameplay elements as long as they're a logical, player-friendly system and have some sort of cohesion but a lack of willingness to stick to a vision bothers me with any dev.

Deleted member 997153

I am a meat popsicle
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2018
I guess they removed all open world elements then, because I saw hints at a "free roam" mode that never materialized, and then the mask setup without a minigame included must mean they have gone in a different direction than initially envisioned. Not sure what's going on between that and removed content. Doesn't give confidence that they 100% know where they're going with this. I do like the story and all the overarching meta elements seem to be well laid out, even though I can hear the grating British accent by dint of the syntax that I know American/Canadian/Australian/New Zealander English speakers probably wouldn't use (merely a point of personal dislike of modern British English =P).

I'm not one who's picky about gameplay elements as long as they're a logical, player-friendly system and have some sort of cohesion but a lack of willingness to stick to a vision bothers me with any dev.
A few releases back there was an open world, point-and-click hunt for masks that revealed an additional scene. It was nothing special. They also redid the confessional scene because there was a lot of blowback over seeing a flashback in which an LI was manipulated into a blowjob. The earliest versions of this game were made with Visual Novel Maker but subsequently moved to Ren'Py after repeated complaints about the original game engine. I think it's more about responding to complaints than not knowing where they are going.

Reactions: yoyomistro

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
A few releases back there was an open world, point-and-click hunt for masks that revealed an additional scene. It was nothing special. They also redid the confessional scene because there was a lot of blowback over seeing a flashback in which an LI was manipulated into a blowjob. The earliest versions of this game were made with Visual Novel Maker but subsequently moved to Ren'Py after repeated complaints about the original game engine. I think it's more about responding to complaints than not knowing where they are going.
Well, I've already said how I feel about the decision of removing that scene completely, as opposed to using a choice or skip option, especially as they've already had several points where you can choose one scene or another, why not keep both the original scene and the one they replaced it with, and offer the option to see one or the other?

The decision to switch engines is good, VN Maker is horrible in terms of its implementation, save system, and a few other issues I had with it that I can't remember, and Ren'Py is very easy to mod which is great for indie games especially. For example, in this game I made the text box transparent and changed the font color, and added a raised outline to increase readability. There are also tons of games where devs have buggy implementation, incorrectly call on a resource, have clunky systems, or strange label jumps that cause awkward sequencing of events that I fix on my own to make the game easier to get through. That's easy to do in Ren'Py and I just think it's a superior tool in many other ways.

If they choose to stick to a linear style or add either sandbox or "choice hub" which is effectively a text sandbox, I'm down, but they've already compromised on their storytelling, so who knows what else they're changing from the story as originally outlined, and that's more of what I'm getting at in terms of them knowing where they're going with this.

I've defended their storytelling in response to BadHero; I think the core is solid--it's just that people who think "beta male bad" whenever you don't have an MC dicking down anything he sees overlap with the type whose complaints probably prompted their initial storytelling change and I don't have the confidence that future releases will line up with whatever narrative they had planned when they set out to do this.

Gmandingo

Nov 3, 2019
Unofficial Android Port for v0.02.5 Compressed :

ALLOW STORAGE ACCESS
My Android Ports have a 2nd Persistent save location. So, even if you uninstall the game, the saves will remain Intact.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If it says unknown developer or something like that just press install anyway.

Give Me Your Feedback on the Discord Server. As it's easier to reach me there, than here.
Please update your port of this

assman1337

Mar 10, 2018

Version 0.15

Here is the latest update. Quite a bit of story in this one. No Mokori but I am planning something very large in that area in an update or wo.
It has around 230 new renders and sets up alot more of the first story arcs story and throws in a surprise as well.
As always let us know your thoughts and we hope you enjoy.

3.50 star(s) 56 Votes