Unity In Heat: Lustful Nights [v0.2.0 Steam] [MonsterBox]

3.40 star(s) 35 Votes
Sep 19, 2020
So a recap of what's in this build.

There is a new cutscene when starting the game, one we've seen like MONTHS ago.
4 nights, each with phone calls that don't really explain any of the game's mechanics or anything worth while, each night getting more and more vegetation that's lazily slapped around the place and slightly harder.
A new teaser cutscene for the next build.

Other then that it's still the same old boring map and all of the previous characters are accounted for. Maddie's mechanics were ironed out to be less buggy, but at least they finally added some ramping difficulty to the game to make it more interesting.

Reactions: flufficorrider5

Alextombsalor

Nov 5, 2019
So a recap of what's in this build.

There is a new cutscene when starting the game, one we've seen like MONTHS ago.
4 nights, each with phone calls that don't really explain any of the game's mechanics or anything worth while, each night getting more and more vegetation that's lazily slapped around the place and slightly harder.
A new teaser cutscene for the next build.

Other then that it's still the same old boring map and all of the previous characters are accounted for. Maddie's mechanics were ironed out to be less buggy, but at least they finally added some ramping difficulty to the game to make it more interesting.
To me, it's a fat minus that Maddie didn't get a screemer.
I'm disappointed in the update

Jun 16, 2017
I feel like the development team wastes so much time on fanservice and in the long run accomplishes almost nothing when it comes to actually fleshing out anything new in this game. Literally starting from scratch has been nothing but a tremendous set back for the development team, no matter how much higher the visual fidelity of the game became due to it.

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
I feel like the development team wastes so much time on fanservice and in the long run accomplishes almost nothing when it comes to actually fleshing out anything new in this game. Literally starting from scratch has been nothing but a tremendous set back for the development team, no matter how much higher the visual fidelity of the game became due to it.
The Duke Nukem Forever development cycle problem is well-known and felt here, indeed.

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
I gave the update a try despite criticism against it. Here are the changes I noted, with good changes listed first, then subjective changes, then bad changes. A list of "wasted opportunities" follows these 3 lists.

Good Changes:
++ 1) The microwave can now be used repeatedly to move Maddie away from areas. This was previously a problem since in the last build I played you can only use it to move her once.

++ 2) Camera angles are further back which gives more space between characters when they coincide in one location.

Subjective Changes:
~~ 1) I liked the previous menu screen with the table and television better.

~~ 2) The intro and end cinematics give the game more closure but feel meaningless since they don't reveal enough.

~~ 3) You get phone messages granted to you in 4 of the 5 levels. (See Wasted Opportunity 1)

~~ 4) The sanity-restoring plush in your office needs 7 interactions to regenerate a half-unit of sanity instead of the previous 4. This is a boost to previous difficulty.

Bad Changes:
-- 1) Level select has been replaced with a cold pair of "Begin" and "Continue" buttons. You have to begin the game all over to go back to earlier levels, which is not good design.

-- 2) The grass growing in the halls feels cheap and tacky. (See Wasted Opportunity 2)

Wasted Opportunities:
---- 1) It's incredible how wasted the phone messages are. They don't seem to describe much at all and are frankly annoying. The previous menu screen that featured VHS cassettes gave a valid opportunity to find information and art through this media but this opportunity was lost too.

---- 2) The growing grass in the halls is part of the developer's world story. The inclusion would be better if the grass felt like it was actually breaking into the facility, but instead feels carelessly dropped into the scenery. A simple addition of broken tiles and bulging, protruding earth in the plant static meshes of the environment will make their inclusion more immersive and welcome. More significant changes could include room model replacements like thick roots breaking the walls and floors while leaving deep gashes the camera can peer into that go beyond the intact walls' previous boundaries. The inclusion of vegetation would go from being considered a negative to a positive trait by fans if the art design made this element feel more realistic.

---- 3) Ari the green character in the maid costume is inactive compared to the other antagonists. Like Sammy she seems to influence objects but she doesn't attack and seems to stop moving frequently. Oddly enough she wields some kind of rifle yet poses no major threat.

Note: I may reuse this post in part of whole for a review. I'm posting it here first for discussion and to confirm or refine my review to be posted in the future.

3.40 star(s) 35 Votes