SoddyGoods

Feb 1, 2018
Not trying to defend them here.... but they have always been slow! Long before they had tons of income.
Back in the early days with 0 income, they also took their time between patches.
- And quality do take time for any developer.
If they were still this slow before the money, then where is the money going? The expectation when supporting a developer is that a large chunk of the money would go towards the game, to developer it faster. If nothing has changed after making a lot of money, then that would mean the money isn't being used on the development of the game.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
If they were still this slow before the money, then where is the money going? The expectation when supporting a developer is that a large chunk of the money would go towards the game, to developer it faster. If nothing has changed after making a lot of money, then that would mean the money isn't being used on the development of the game.
That's not how Patreon works. And that's not how any dev works. You give $ on Patreon to show support and tell them you like their stuff. That's it. Whatever they do with that $ is up to them. If you feel betrayed/milked/devs blow, stop pledging. Not trying to defend any dev with this, just pointing it out

SoddyGoods

Feb 1, 2018
That's not how Patreon works. And that's not how any dev works. You give $ on Patreon to show support and tell them you like their stuff. That's it. Whatever they do with that $ is up to them. If you feel betrayed/milked/devs blow, stop pledging. Not trying to defend any dev with this, just pointing it out
Of course, it's an incomplete project, you never know where your money will go or if the game will ever be completed, that's always a risk. However, I only said there's an expectation, which is clearly stated on their Patreon that the money is being used to help the project.

I actually have no idea how development is going, if it was always this slow, I don't follow it, I am merely criticizing the idea that it's okay for them to be as slow as always after setting expectations that development would get more focus with more money.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Of course, it's an incomplete project, you never know where your money will go or if the game will ever be completed, that's always a risk. However, I only said there's an expectation, which is clearly stated on their Patreon that the money is being used to help the project.

I actually have no idea how development is going, if it was always this slow, I don't follow it, I am merely criticizing the idea that it's okay for them to be as slow as always after setting expectations that development would get more focus with more money.
Go back in the thread. They promised stuff that never happened. Since 4+ years ago

Khan

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2017
Well maybe if you actually added some content we wouldn't be losing our minds inciting ethnic hatreds in random discord servers. Think about that the next time you spend 5 months working on 5 minutes of incoherent content.
Dont like our game - dont play, its easier then shitpost here. The game is free, or are you a patron? If yes, i can refund you money.

kitsunedawn

Aug 17, 2017
There are, very often, games that show great promise... only to get stuck in development hell. Nine times out of ten, it's the developers own actions that leads to this. It is the curse of developers to let their grand ideas about a project, over take the project itself. It goes from completing the game in a timely fashion, to "well this new idea is cool... let's add that" or "I have a better idea how we could tell the story, let's start over." To say that IW is stuck in development hell, is an understatement. The thread about the game started six years ago. Not six weeks, nor six months. Six full years. In that same time even a solo indie developer could have released a full finished product. Hell, it took four years for the solo developer of Stardew Valley to complete the game and publish it on multiple platforms. Yet with IW, we've got updates being trickled out every so often, and those updates, such that they are, really don't add much of anything to the game. When pressed on this issue, the usual response being "well there aren't enough patreons..." or something similar.

That's just an excuse, and a bad one at that.

There are other developers in this sphere (adult games) who have had far less numbers of patreons and supporters, who have released fully complete projects in the time that IW has taken to get to this point. A point I might add, barely qualifies as an alpha project. So it is very understandable for people to accuse the game of being a scam, or a cash grab, or to suggest the development team are just lazy.

To reiterate: We are SIX YEARS into development. That's just five years less than Star Citizen, with about as much to show for it. Which is to say, nothing major.

HentaiGamerN00b

Sep 6, 2020
There are, very often, games that show great promise... only to get stuck in development hell. Nine times out of ten, it's the developers own actions that leads to this. It is the curse of developers to let their grand ideas about a project, over take the project itself. It goes from completing the game in a timely fashion, to "well this new idea is cool... let's add that" or "I have a better idea how we could tell the story, let's start over." To say that IW is stuck in development hell, is an understatement. The thread about the game started six years ago. Not six weeks, nor six months. Six full years. In that same time even a solo indie developer could have released a full finished product. Hell, it took four years for the solo developer of Stardew Valley to complete the game and publish it on multiple platforms. Yet with IW, we've got updates being trickled out every so often, and those updates, such that they are, really don't add much of anything to the game. When pressed on this issue, the usual response being "well there aren't enough patreons..." or something similar.

That's just an excuse, and a bad one at that.

There are other developers in this sphere (adult games) who have had far less numbers of patreons and supporters, who have released fully complete projects in the time that IW has taken to get to this point. A point I might add, barely qualifies as an alpha project. So it is very understandable for people to accuse the game of being a scam, or a cash grab, or to suggest the development team are just lazy.

To reiterate: We are SIX YEARS into development. That's just five years less than Star Citizen, with about as much to show for it. Which is to say, nothing major.
In their defense... At least they released more than one update in the year and have a routemap, there are other games... that have around the same time in development but every release have not much content (like less than an hour) and just one update in a year. The team of IW at least, have created like two games in that same amount of time if we think in old story and new story as separate games... But yeah, I understand the frustration.

3.00 star(s) 321 Votes