combige

Jun 30, 2017
What picture are you talking about, I don't really understand what you mean sorry.
By unusual I mean some models (and I find it interesting) and by the quality I mean there are some games that use the same graphic engine and squeeze a lot better picture than by default, like https://f95zone.to/threads/a-house-in-the-rift-v0-4-13r2-zanith.29627/ or https://f95zone.to/threads/deviant-anomalies-v0-1-2-moolahmilk.65454/. Not that I'm telling you to remake cg or as a criticism, but if you at some point think there's anything to polish - there it is.

Reactions: Doragin

Doragin

Game Developer
Jul 17, 2020
By unusual I mean some models (and I find it interesting) and by the quality I mean there are some games that use the same graphic engine and squeeze a lot better picture than by default, like https://f95zone.to/threads/a-house-in-the-rift-v0-4-13r2-zanith.29627/ or https://f95zone.to/threads/deviant-anomalies-v0-1-2-moolahmilk.65454/. Not that I'm telling you to remake cg or as a criticism, but if you at some point think there's anything to polish - there it is.
I see what you mean, I try but I have no clue how to make it like that, I think it's lighting but again no cloe exactly what I have to do. I am always trying to improve and this will be no expection.

I don't know why but I can't unzip the file as my PC is detecting a virus.
Thats weird I have nothing extra in the zip apart from the normal renpy stuff. What anti virus are you using, and what files does it report?

il497

Oct 11, 2018
I see what you mean, I try but I have no clue how to make it like that, I think it's lighting but again no cloe exactly what I have to do. I am always trying to improve and this will be no expection.
I'm not an expert at identifying this stuff, but it seems like Deviant Anomalies might be using Honey Select 2 for the graphics, and it looks like you might be using an older engine, either Honey Select or some similar engine. Regardless of which engine you're using, I'm sure you can look up guides for improving the quality, or ask for tips in the appropriate place on these forums, or anywhere else you think you can find help.
That being said, if you're using Honey Select or a different engine that looks similar, it might not be easy, efficient, or even possible to try and replicate Honey Select 2 graphics, and you should probably instead focus on producing the best graphics you reasonably can in whichever engine you're using.

Doragin

Game Developer
Jul 17, 2020
I'm not an expert at identifying this stuff, but it seems like Deviant Anomalies might be using Honey Select 2 for the graphics, and it looks like you might be using an older engine, either Honey Select or some similar engine. Regardless of which engine you're using, I'm sure you can look up guides for improving the quality, or ask for tips in the appropriate place on these forums, or anywhere else you think you can find help.
That being said, if you're using Honey Select or a different engine that looks similar, it might not be easy, efficient, or even possible to try and replicate Honey Select 2 graphics, and you should probably instead focus on producing the best graphics you reasonably can in whichever engine you're using.
I am using HS 1, so ya that explains the Deviant Anomalies, but I still think that the House In The Rift has better quality than mine, and it is using the same engine. I also think my quality is not that far off though, and is pretty good but maybe I only think that because it's my own work.

What do you guys think? How much better is the House In The Rift art vs my own?

Eversmann122

Jul 11, 2018
I am using HS 1, so ya that explains the Deviant Anomalies, but I still think that the House In The Rift has better quality than mine, and it is using the same engine. I also think my quality is not that far off though, and is pretty good but maybe I only think that because it's my own work.

What do you guys think? How much better is the House In The Rift art vs my own?
First off let me say I enjoyed what content was available for the game so far, the premise seems interesting so I do look forward to seeing where this goes in the future.

Now to the quote. Let me preface this by saying your quality is not bad by far its quite nice and clean infact but could be improved so there are a few things you could do or try to increase quality, 1 of these would be to lessen the compression on the pictures as well as try to up the sharpness and graphics quality of the game using some mods for HS, for example, I think DHH is available for HS1 (someone would have to correct me if I am wrong on that as I never used HS1) This would allow for sharper images as well as some more shader options. Another option which would go hand in hand with option 1 which is to put your renders in PS/photoshop (or another editing program) and enhance the color, shadows, etc. (this is one of the things Zanith (the creator of House in the Rift does when he finishes a still render) and uses a program like Premier to edit their animations) besides that there are some other options like lighting, creating/buying new shaders, buying/creating new assets but your best bet is the first 2 options for now.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Doragin

Doragin

Game Developer
Jul 17, 2020
First off let me say I enjoyed what content was available for the game so far, the premise seems interesting so I do look forward to seeing where this goes in the future.

Now to the quote. Let me preface this by saying your quality is not bad by far its quite nice and clean infact but could be improved so there are a few things you could do or try to increase quality, 1 of these would be to lessen the compression on the pictures as well as try to up the sharpness and graphics quality of the game using some mods for HS, for example, I think DHH is available for HS1 (someone would have to correct me if I am wrong on that as I never used HS1) This would allow for sharper images as well as some more shader options. Another option which would go hand in hand with option 1 which is to put your renders in PS/photoshop (or another editing program) and enhance the color, shadows, etc. (this is one of the things Zanith (the creator of House in the Rift does when he finishes a still render) and uses a program like Premier to edit their animations) besides that there are some other options like lighting, creating/buying new shaders, buying/creating new assets but your best bet is the first 2 options for now.
What is DHH is it like LRE, I already use it then if not I don't know what it is?.
Some people also told me about photoshop, I guess I am going to learn photoshop & premier this month.
The shaders I don't know if that even is an option with HS I need research.
I will also try to learn lighting as that is also something people suggested quite a bit when I messaged them.

Thank you very much for your input <3, I will do my best to match the expectations.
Specially when people like you actively try and support me, seriously helps a lot thanks again XD.

Wow absolutely love the theme! Can't wait for more updates!
And I love you random f95zone member <3.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Slayerz

Slayerz

Aug 2, 2017
Some people also told me about photoshop, I guess I am going to learn photoshop & premier this month.
I'd also suggest to learn the Adobe softwares. If you want to edit the compositing for still images and video, I'd suggest Adobe After Effect as it's a 2 for 1 combo when you get the hang of it. Photoshop is really helpful for faster edits on still images though, so I wouldn't deny learning it as it's user-friendly. You can do a lot of fast visual tweaks with the Adjustments sliders:
1605553143191.png

After Effect is really great for adding special effects, masks, animating, but it's not a super user-friendly software to learn at the start. It's extremely powerful when you got ahead from the basics. There are a hella ton of default Effects & Presets that comes with After Effect, so a lot to play with:
1605553314090.png

Good luck!

-A Multimedia Developer

• Red Heart
Reactions: rKnight

Doragin

Game Developer
Jul 17, 2020
I'd also suggest to learn the Adobe softwares. If you want to edit the compositing for still images and video, I'd suggest Adobe After Effect as it's a 2 for 1 combo when you get the hang of it. Photoshop is really helpful for faster edits on still images though, so I wouldn't deny learning it as it's user-friendly. You can do a lot of fast visual tweaks with the Adjustments sliders:
View attachment 902565

After Effect is really great for adding special effects, masks, animating, but it's not a super user-friendly software to learn at the start. It's extremely powerful when you got ahead from the basics. There are a hella ton of default Effects & Presets that comes with After Effect, so a lot to play with:
View attachment 902567

Good luck!

-A Multimedia Developer
Can you give me a order of things to learn, given that I want to focus on still pictures first, since most of the game is like that?

Much appreciated.

Slayerz

Aug 2, 2017
Can you give me a order of things to learn, given that I want to focus on still pictures first, since most of the game is like that?

Much appreciated.
For Photoshop, I'd suggest to firstly drag and drop an image into photoshop and play around with the interface. Starts with the left side tools and try each tools on the picture. You can refer to this page for explanations on what the tools do:

Noob killer tip: Watch out for these icons. Lock icon will make so that you can't edit the picture. Click on the lock icon to make the image editable.
1605559335557.png

Some images might have this icon, which won't let you edit the image either. Right-click the layer and select Rasterize Layer.
1605559390319.png

Other than these two annoying factors, you'll be good to go!

Next, try to play with the bottom right side of Photoshop. I find it more intuitive to just click and try random buttons while learning the results at first. Then when you're not sure about them google them and retry what you've learned.
1605559836430.png

Finally, try the different Filters and Windows on the top left corner of Photoshop:
1605559950228.png

After you've been familiarised with the interface, try out tutorials. You're main focus would be to learn how to correct pictures with the Adjustment Layers, Filters and be able to use the Selection Tools 1605560214907.png and Healing Brush Tools 1605560286558.png

Starting off with the Adjustment Layers:

After you've finished all of the above, you'll be ready to dive into tutorials that you wish to learn. Check out this list and pick some you want to try:

Good luck!

Doragin

Game Developer
Jul 17, 2020
Hate Sandbox
I noticed there is a lot of people that hate sandbox, I don't know why XD.
Don't worry though I bet there are a lot of cool non sandbox games out there, this isn't one of those sadly.
Godspeed my dude.

For Photoshop, I'd suggest to firstly drag and drop an image into photoshop and play around with the interface. Starts with the left side tools and try each tools on the picture. You can refer to this page for explanations on what the tools do:

Noob killer tip: Watch out for these icons. Lock icon will make so that you can't edit the picture. Click on the lock icon to make the image editable.
View attachment 902673

Some images might have this icon, which won't let you edit the image either. Right-click the layer and select Rasterize Layer.
View attachment 902674

Other than these two annoying factors, you'll be good to go!

Next, try to play with the bottom right side of Photoshop. I find it more intuitive to just click and try random buttons while learning the results at first. Then when you're not sure about them google them and retry what you've learned.
View attachment 902677

Finally, try the different Filters and Windows on the top left corner of Photoshop:
View attachment 902681

After you've been familiarised with the interface, try out tutorials. You're main focus would be to learn how to correct pictures with the Adjustment Layers, Filters and be able to use the Selection Tools View attachment 902687 and Healing Brush Tools View attachment 902688

Starting off with the Adjustment Layers:

After you've finished all of the above, you'll be ready to dive into tutorials that you wish to learn. Check out this list and pick some you want to try:

Good luck!
Thank you very much will start this ASAP.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Slayerz

jhustrue

Mar 3, 2020
Yep I'm one of those sandbox haters. I think it's because most sandbox games make you stretch a smaller amount of content over a much longer period of time than visual novels (GRIND). Also, even for those that have a hint system, having to travel everywhere to see content is annoying. There's no actual guarantee all your work will be rewarded with a scene or just brickwall'd with a "More in next version." because the developer wants to do a scene or two per character each update. That and the story tends to be extremely weak in sandboxes.

Doragin

Game Developer
Jul 17, 2020
Yep I'm one of those sandbox haters. I think it's because most sandbox games make you stretch a smaller amount of content over a much longer period of time than visual novels (GRIND). Also, even for those that have a hint system, having to travel everywhere to see content is annoying. There's no actual guarantee all your work will be rewarded with a scene or just brickwall'd with a "More in next version." because the developer wants to do a scene or two per character each update. That and the story tends to be extremely weak in sandboxes.
What about a completed game, half of your problems seems to be about the development phase, do you still hate a completed sandbox game?

But what I find interesting is that people actually hate it like they get mad at developer for making a sandbox, it is a very extreme reaction that I don't see other game genres to have. It's weird, people like different things I get that, but why not just let it be you know what I am saying?

Doragin

Game Developer
Jul 17, 2020
Vote on what I will work on the next release (public vote).

il497

Oct 11, 2018
This is the point where I say I'm too poor to actually have a patreon account and therefore cannot vote... :HideThePain:
That being said, lemme say I'm definitely interested in seeing where this goes and 100% would support you on there if I had the means to.
Anyways, since I can't vote on there I'll say on here that my vote goes to "whatever the dev wants to do." That being said, I realize you're still learning and it would be a bit much to expect, but something like Harem Hotel or Mythic Manor is typically how I like updates to go for sandbox games. Adding a little bit for all the main girls (1 to 2 events)+advancing the main story a bit+adding stuff for a few side girls+a new thing (or new things) as the dev finds the time/interest/desire to add more. Although I don't completely mind when a dev focuses on a few girls each update like in Corruption, or even better The Headmaster, in which they also progress the main story a bit and add a decent number of side events each update. I mean, ideally every aspect of the game would get more than "just a little bit" every update, but I realize that's a bit much to expect from single-person developers, especially those who are newbies and can't yet make this their full-time job.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Slayerz and Doragin
4.50 star(s) 4 Votes