SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
It‘s funny (to me) to what lengths the author goes out of spite for the people on this and probably other forums. Going as far as tracking down the patrons who share the updates in this thread and asking them to remove their posts.
Seems like Nyx is still checking in here just to make sure none of her precious content is pirated. I wonder how she will protect her next update? Putting a patron exclusive password on the zip-file?
why do that? there are those who sadly cannot support through patreon because they dont have the means to do so, stopping them from obtaining the game by putting a patreon exclusive password on it seems cruel.
But this seems to be the level of pettiness the dev is on now, judging by the last update post. If they go through with it I want to be credited for the idea, though.
While it is spiteful and petty for a developer to add filler text preventing Patreon from giving some bits for free, I do to an extent understand where they are coming from. It is their content and you're supposed to be paying for it. By giving it out for free, it means they make less money and have a harder time making their game.

However, I almost entirely disagree with the mindset as a whole.

This is the internet - the place where anything of even slight popularity will be pirated. The only way to prevent it is to either never release in the first place or to embrace it to such an extent that piracy is never necessary.

Cracking down on it isn't going to help, either. Instead, it only fosters animosity. Like Darth said, some may want to support but aren't capable of doing so for one reason or another. Being a prick to those people isn't going to make them happy and will only lead to an angry community.

Oh, woe is me, then! Should I stop making my game because you won't support me? :: If that is what you want, I can't stop you. Just know that it shows what you really are. Maybe you were a passionate developer once, making your game because you wanted to, not because it was an obligation. Maybe at some point it changed or maybe you never were truly passionate. Like I said, I can't stop you. If you quit, I highly doubt this message is going to be the tipping point that makes you do so (and I truly wish it isn't). Just know that its a stain on your reputation and something that you are likely to repeat again with every large project you do.

What I'm saying is that being petty about piracy isn't healthy. Its not healthy for you and its not healthy for your community. You may think you're protecting your way of living by doing so, but you aren't. You made a marvelous game with ratings so overwhelmingly positive that its on the second page for top rated games across the entire site. These people in this thread are a part of your community and those with your game plastered under each of their messages further spreads it across the site. You should be proud of what you created. Can there be bad apples in the community? Of course. There can and are those. You are fully within your right to ignore them. You are also fully within your right to ignore this entire section of your community. However, seeing this petty behavior of actively going out of your way to exclude this part of your community makes me weary of supporting you and I'm certain I'm not alone in that.

Take a look at the two icons below my name. They are both fantastic developers who I chose to support. To me, the incentive to support them was not because I'll get an update early and not so that I can speak with the developer. It was because of their behavior towards the community that I did so. One of them not only releases their game entirely for free with no delay to those not supporting them, but also freely releases some of their assets for others to use. The other made a fabulous game with another in early stages and only a one-week delay between patron-release and public.

I'm sure there are others like me. We may love your game, but seeing you acting hostile towards people that support you makes us, or at least I for one, weary. It makes me worry that you'll blow your lid, delete all the game files, and go dark. Or maybe rather, that you'll decide to suddenly drop development on Intertwined and move to a completely different game. This, to me, isn't the behavior of a passionate developer. This looks to me like the behavior of a vindictive IP lawyer who doesn't care if you like their game - Its something they don't like and must take extra effort to prevent.

I truly do wish you the best with the game Nyx, if you're listening. Just know that your behavior is leaving us weary and annoyed.

Last edited:

JohnnyFlex

Jan 24, 2018
While it is spiteful and petty for a developer to add filler text preventing Patreon from giving some bits for free, I do to an extent understand where they are coming from. It is their content and you're supposed to be paying for it. By giving it out for free, it means they make less money and have a harder time making their game.

However, I almost entirely disagree with the mindset as a whole.

This is the internet - the place where anything of even slight popularity will be pirated. The only way to prevent it is to either never release in the first place or to embrace it to such an extent that piracy is never necessary.

Cracking down on it isn't going to help. Instead, it only fosters animosity. Like Darth said, some may want to support but aren't capable of doing so for one reason or another. Being a prick to those people isn't going to make them happy and will only lead to an angry community.

Oh, woe is me, then! Should I stop making my game because you won't support me? :: If that is what you want, I can't stop you. Just know that it shows what you really are. Maybe you were a passionate developer once, making your game because you wanted to, not because it was an obligation. Maybe at some point it changed or maybe you never were truly passionate. Like I said, I can't stop you. If you quit, I highly doubt this message is going to be the tipping point that makes you do so (and I truly wish it isn't). Just know that its a stain on your reputation and something that you are likely to repeat again with every large project you do.

What I'm saying is that being petty about piracy isn't healthy. Its not healthy for you and its not healthy for your community. You may think you're protecting your way of living by doing so, but you aren't. You made a marvelous game with ratings so overwhelmingly positive that its on the second page for top rated games across the entire site. These people in this thread are a part of your community and those with your game plastered under each of their messages further spreads it across the site. You should be proud of what you created. Can there be bad apples in the community? Of course. There can and are those. You are fully within your right to ignore them. You are also fully within your right to ignore this entire section of your community. However, seeing this petty behavior of actively going out of your way to exclude this part of your community makes me weary of supporting you and I'm certain I'm not alone in that.

Take a look at the two icons below my name. They are both fantastic developers who I chose to support. To me, the incentive to support them was not because I'll get an update early and not so that I can speak with the developer. It was because of their behavior towards the community that I did so. One of them not only releases their game entirely for free with no delay to those not supporting them, but also freely releases some of their assets for others to use. The other made a fabulous game with another in early stages and only a one-week delay between patron-release and public.

I'm sure there are others like me. We may love your game, but seeing you acting hostile towards people that support your game makes us, or at least I for one, weary. It makes me worry that you'll blow your lid, delete all the game files, and go dark. Maybe, rather, you'll decide to suddenly drop development on Intertwined and move to a separate game. This, to me, isn't the behavior of a passionate developer. This to me looks like the behavior of a vindictive IP lawyer who doesn't care if you like their game. Its something they don't like and must take extra effort to prevent.

I truly wish you the best with the game Nyx, if you're listening. Just know that your behavior is leaving us weary and annoyed.
Well said. I, for one, truly hope this masterpiece doesn't end up with the god-forsaken abandoned tag, due to a "blown lid." There are very few games that come to mind, that ended up abandoned, and were actually to my liking. Those being Connected and Lexi (Due to extremely unfortunate circumstances.) I would hate to add Intertwined to that list, being that this is one of my Top 3 favorites on this site.

Jul 19, 2021
I myself really enjoy this game, it easily became one of my favorites with all the humor and awsome characters, its frustrating to me not being able to support the development in a more meaningfull way but what cant be changed must be endured.

Reactions: Guide466

_Maou_

Jun 2, 2018
It‘s funny (to me) to what lengths the author goes out of spite for the people on this and probably other forums. Going as far as tracking down the patrons who share the updates in this thread and asking them to remove their posts.
Seems like Nyx is still checking in here just to make sure none of her precious content is pirated. I wonder how she will protect her next update? Putting a patron exclusive password on the zip-file?
Nyx will try her best, but her content will be here one way or another, even if I have to do it myself

Numa_Cway

Jul 9, 2019
Oh relax will you? What lengths?
Progress update had multiple paragraphs and I posted just the first to upset you.
Nyx does absolutely nothing different compared to the multitude of other Devs here.
The progress update is behind a paywall that costs only $1 and she asked people to not post it here.
The game when it comes out starts at $15 and goes through the tier lists within a week.
And of course it will end up here just as any other AVN. It's pirate forum after all.

BaDIK starts with a $50 tier release and ends up here within minutes.

There's literally nothing she does different than other devs yet she gets more hate than others.
It's usually the non-patreons crying the loudest.

SaltySugar

Dec 18, 2020
Acting this petty because couple people were unhappy that the update is taking long is childish af. I get that it gets tiring when people ask the same question all the time but the dev blown this way out of proportion at the beginning and then both the trolls that just want to fuck with people and white knights that think that the dev can do no wrong just escalated it even more into whatever we have now.

The update will get leaked here anyway and it doesn't matter how hard the dev tries to stop it.

Construct

Oct 31, 2018
What lengths?
Maybe that was a bit hyperbolic of me. I just haven‘t seen any dev putting dummy text into the first paragraph of their posts to hide even the tiniest bit of information. Then again, I can‘t remember having seen a lot of threads here where people post only the even tinier preview of a paywalled post.
I know as well as you, that trying to prevent the update from ending up here is very much futile. I myself haven‘t witnessed the situation where a dev is, understandably, fed up with this forum and quits it. I also haven‘t seen any dev getting exceptionally pissed about people sharing their content in this forum.
I assume the reason why Nyx gets a lot more hate than other devs is her arguable overreaction to forum low lifes. This just triggered a lot of defiance in the members following this thread.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
I assume the reason why Nyx gets a lot more hate than other devs is her arguable overreaction to forum low lifes. This just triggered a lot of defiance in the members following this thread.
Perhaps she went too far (but personally I don't think so). But why is it always that when dev vents their frustration they are called out as "overreacting", "being childish", etc.? But when other forum members acts the same toward the dev it is seen as par for the course and something normal and dev should just take it. Why is it that devs are held to this impossibly high standard all the time?

To me the big problem of this forum isn't piracy but the entitlement of many members where devs are basically seen as slaves whose only purpose is to produce these games.

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Acting this petty because couple people were unhappy that the update is taking long is childish af. I get that it gets tiring when people ask the same question all the time but the dev blown this way out of proportion at the beginning and then both the trolls that just want to fuck with people and white knights that think that the dev can do no wrong just escalated it even more into whatever we have now.

The update will get leaked here anyway and it doesn't matter how hard the dev tries to stop it.
Jesus, she's not trying to get it stopped here, she just wants her patreon's to follow her wishes, the same as many other dev's. A lot of games doesn't get released here until all the Patreon's has gotten it already.

Oh relax will you? What lengths?
Progress update had multiple paragraphs and I posted just the first to upset you.
Nyx does absolutely nothing different compared to the multitude of other Devs here.
The progress update is behind a paywall that costs only $1 and she asked people to not post it here.
The game when it comes out starts at $15 and goes through the tier lists within a week.
And of course it will end up here just as any other AVN. It's pirate forum after all.

BaDIK starts with a $50 tier release and ends up here within minutes.

There's literally nothing she does different than other devs yet she gets more hate than others.
It's usually the non-patreons crying the loudest.
Thank you for that post of absolute logic and reason, was starting to think those had fled this forum completely.....

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Perhaps she went too far (but personally I don't think so). But why is it always that when dev vents their frustration they are called out as "overreacting", "being childish", etc.? But when other forum members acts the same toward the dev it is seen as par for the course and something normal and dev should just take it. Why is it that devs are held to this impossibly high standard all the time?

To me the big problem of this forum isn't piracy but the entitlement of many members where devs are basically seen as slaves whose only purpose is to produce these games.
You answered your own question :) Entitled whiners who think they know better than the Dev's are a growing problem around here.

Warscared

Jan 26, 2021
You answered your own question :) Entitled whiners who think they know better than the Dev's are a growing problem around here.
but if they did they would not bitch about it they would start rendering their own story

i actually considered ripping off another game and write a decent story only to discover my pc is not good enough!

i even considered meddling into coding to make a few sex menus for a few games that have picked my interest! but i am just too lazy to do it!

but that`s what i call the communist mentality why do the work when you can get others to do it for you and then just bitch about it until you get it for free?

and that last part is unfortunately true and its true because it works!

NoxLaw

Nov 11, 2020
And this is exactly what I was talking about, you have people having somewhat civil discussion, nobody is really arguing and then one guy comes for the millionth with his daily cookie cutter comment about whiners that's gonna rile everyone up again :FacePalm:
circle-marriage.gif

Construct

Oct 31, 2018
Why is it that devs are held to this impossibly high standard all the time?
I think the reason for that is first, because they are idolized by some of their followers. People like to belong to a group. Secondly, the average forum users outburst can be far easier ignored (I think) than a post by a game dev, since the developer is a person you have recurring interactions with, while the troll poster ultimately gets bored and moves on.
I 100% agree that the entitlement of some people is running wild.
To get back to the original point, Nyx surely could have approached the entitled members in a calmer way, they did the right thing though by walking away. In the end, everything will stay the same. Some of us will just miss the direct input of Nyx through this forum. In the meantime I will laugh about people who still complain in this thread.

4.40 star(s) 274 Votes