VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
New trailer for Steam ;)

Well done chief. Good work.

I might need to start rotating my sig's out once a month. I want to use one from this game but I like the other 2 games just as much wish we could have 3 lol.
I must get around to doing sigs one day. I just never seem to find time for it. Yeah I know make time. The problem is though, how do I decide on just two.

• Red Heart
Reactions: badtimetales

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
I must get around to doing sigs one day. I just never seem to find time for it. Yeah I know make time. The problem is though, how do I decide on just two.
Yeah I got really bored one day when I did mine, yet im still to lazy to change my profile picture lol. Yeah that is another problem how do you just pick 2. At the time it was easy cause those were the best ive played but now there is alot I consider just as good even if the 2 in my sig are in my top 3.

jhonatanw

Engaged Member
Jun 21, 2022

Hello everyone.
Sometime I was thinking to commission a new GUI (main menu and in-game menu) for the Steam (because I'm too lazy and stupid to do it).
I've seen some developers do really crazy things, but that's usually for specific genres.
To cut a long story short, I will keep the familiar GUI, which is 99% the standard Renpy layout.
My opinion is that people don't really care about the GUI in the end (unless it's really for specific genres, like Notty in H5 or Moon in GS).
But those are special cases with inventory screens, messengers, character stats and much more.
On the contrary, a standard GUI might even be more popular because people don't have to get used to a new one.
What do you think about that?
Thanks for you support,

BTT

(weekend update will be up tomorrow)

Screenshot_20240209_195447_Brave.png
VOTE

Reactions: Fenix_Hell

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021

Hello everyone.
Sometime I was thinking to commission a new GUI (main menu and in-game menu) for the Steam (because I'm too lazy and stupid to do it).
I've seen some developers do really crazy things, but that's usually for specific genres.
To cut a long story short, I will keep the familiar GUI, which is 99% the standard Renpy layout.
My opinion is that people don't really care about the GUI in the end (unless it's really for specific genres, like Notty in H5 or Moon in GS).
But those are special cases with inventory screens, messengers, character stats and much more.
On the contrary, a standard GUI might even be more popular because people don't have to get used to a new one.
Thanks for you support,

BTT

View attachment 3341555
VOTE
I had to give up on a couple of games due to them creatin custom GUIs. They're either confusin af and/or my old eyes just can't grasp what I'm seein.

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023

Hello everyone.
Thanks for you support,

BTT

VOTE
Unique GUIs are cool the first couple of times looking at it but I'm more interested in the story to be honest.

• Red Heart

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023

Hello everyone.
Thanks for you support,

BTT

View attachment 3341555
VOTE
I'm presently working through a few updates for a VN that has done some odd things with the GUI, and getting back into it after several months was annoying (and, frankly, still is). The reason is that they've moved certain commonly used things to a second page (screen size being the one that is the most common of the things moved that I used) and the only way to get to that screen is with an icon that's difficult to see at the upper left (it's black and deep grey tones frequently blend into the dark style renders common in the VN) in an active and open loaded iteration of the VN. Being able to right click and have all of the essential/basic functions together is a basic expectation.

If you want to change the style and look, that really isn't a big deal - but moving things to places that "you can't get to from here" is a big turn off. Even if you do put things on different pages, as long as you can navigate to the second (or additional) page(s) from the main options page, then it isn't a big deal - I've seen the use of tabs on the main page be very effective for this.

For better or worse, people's brains get trained to expect certain things in certain places and not spread all over the place. Even if they look a little bit different, as long as they can be easily found via the normal means/normal hotkeys, I'd expect most people to not worry too much about it.

More simply: if you can right click (or whatever the common method is on other platforms) and get the save page with a menu of commands on the left, and the command "Options" takes you to a page where all of the adjustable elements can be found in a reasonably organized method, then the colors, fonts, backgrounds, slider styles, etc., can be customized to your personal aesthetic and heart's content - just don't make things hard to find. ;)

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
If you want to change the style and look, that really isn't a big deal - but moving things to places that "you can't get to from here" is a big turn off. Even if you do put things on different pages, as long as you can navigate to the second (or additional) page(s) from the main options page, then it isn't a big deal - I've seen the use of tabs on the main page be very effective for this.

For better or worse, people's brains get trained to expect certain things in certain places and not spread all over the place. Even if they look a little bit different, as long as they can be easily found via the normal means/normal hotkeys, I'd expect most people to not worry too much about it.
100% agreed.

There's a reason why most game GUIs look similar.

If I redo the GUI it would be 90% design/graphic, not changing any mechanics.

Thanks for the feedback ;)

Last edited:

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
I think the UI itself matters little (I prefer to keep that simple), but if you manage to get a nice animation there it can be more appealing than a random static image

• Red Heart

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
I think the UI itself matters little (I prefer to keep that simple)
In complete agreement here, a nice animation gives a good first impression, and if you want to go really crazy you might want to change it when you release a new update for a bit of variety, but other than that I prefer to find everything where I expect them.

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
I think the UI itself matters little (I prefer to keep that simple), but if you manage to get a nice animation there it can be more appealing than a random static image
In complete agreement here, a nice animation gives a good first impression, and if you want to go really crazy you might want to change it when you release a new update for a bit of variety, but other than that I prefer to find everything where I expect them.

Well, there is a slideshow since Chapter 2.

Don't tell me you missed that! ;) (I know some sups did :D)

But yeah, an animation might be a good idea, as a starting scene for the slideshow.

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
Well, there is a slideshow since Chapter 2.

Don't tell me you missed that! ;) (I know some sups did :D)

But yeah, an animation might be a good idea, as a starting scene for the slideshow.
a slideshow is one thing, but you could add for example the Isa catwalk scene instead, that's pretty dope (even though it's slightly out of the main game
)

• Red Heart

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
a slideshow is one thing, but you could add for example the Isa catwalk scene instead, that's pretty dope (even though it's slightly out of the main game
)

There's the first catwalk scene, Chapter one in the club on the phone when the MC checks Isa's info ;)
(Added in the rework, I rendered that for the first trailer, but thought it would fit there ;) )

Short version

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Slick Bean
4.50 star(s) 61 Votes