VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
some channels are for supporters only, so make sure to link your discord at patreon.

or dm me at discord and i'll assign the rule manually.

Reactions: Elduriel

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
some channels are for supporters only, so make sure to link your discord at patreon.

or dm me at discord and i'll assign the rule manually.
all done, managed to figure it out (I think)... I'm able to see the patreon only channel so I guess it worked

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Oh man, that "news" program almost killed me.
Even in the US, why would you a) talk about a scoop on live television BEFORE you have any ACTUAL proof and WITHOUT going into any specifics?
And then they switch live over to a reporter on location? Again, talking about how they are investigating into this cesspool of corruption, but without giving any proof for now and without ANY specifics?

Seriously, if a journalist and a news anchor acted this stupid and irresponsible, they'd probably deserve to die.

I can't help feeling that by setting this up as an actual news-broadcast the dev wanted to give it more authenticity, instead it just made it all completely ridiculous.
Don't know if I even want to continue playing this, if it starts like that.

Edited to add:
As was pointed out to me, that form of news report seems to exist, at least in the US. I find that amazing and very disappointing at the same time. However, the vibe I got from that scene seemed more like an attempt at serious investigative journalism and due to that, I still stand by my point that it was unbelievable and incredibly weak and cheesy writing.

Thankfully, this seems to be the only fluke of that kind, the story itself, while being sensationalistic and filled with many convenient deus ex machinae (I counted at least 4 or 5 in the existing chapters), is quite well written.
Characters are somewhat believable, which is not exactly common in this type of game, and even stuff others criticized I find quite believable. Like Isabella thinking Zeus is dead, when he is just drugged.
Given the circumstances, I thought her not catching that he was still breathing was something that could very well happen. I mean, she was clearly panicking and completely emotional. Drugs can also slow down your metabolism so much, that the breathing can be quite flat and not much movement of the chest area will be seen. She might have just felt for a pulse, didn't find it, and was then convinced the dog was a goner.

One thing I didn't particularly like, is the MC is quite the MarySue. He can fight, he is super smart, and women are just automatically drawn to him.
The problem is, he doesn't act particularly smart, and you wonder a bit why someone who seems like a bit of a doofus is so attractive to women.
Unless they know how loaded he is.
I actually find it kind of limiting story-telling wise, if the MC is too strong, not to mention that flawed characters are more interesting.
And no, I don't consider having a breakdown after your fiancé dies as something weak. That is a devastating thing to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: badtimetales

DrDerpington

Oct 6, 2017
Oh man, that "news" program almost killed me.
Even in the US, why would you a) talk about a scoop on live television BEFORE you have any ACTUAL proof and WITHOUT going into any specifics?
And then they switch live over to a reporter on location? Again, talking about how they are investigating into this cesspool of corruption, but without giving any proof for now and without ANY specifics?

Seriously, if a journalist and a news anchor acted this stupid and irresponsible, they'd probably deserve to die.

I can't help feeling that by setting this up as an actual news-broadcast the dev wanted to give it more authenticity, instead it just made it all completely ridiculous.
Don't know if I even want to continue playing this, if it starts like that.
Dude, you probably dont watch a lot of TV. You also dont read news.
There are a lot of reports based on rumours. You wont find it on big TV stations (like BBC), but smaller companies might air such reports. It is quite common.
As for the situation inside game: They might have tried to attract attention of public for future reports. It is common phrase: "If you want to find out more, watch our next report.". News is all about atracting attention. Hard facts are secondary.

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes