VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Well, usually replays are based on script labels so it doesn't matter how many animations you included in your scene, you are just replaying that part of the script until you reach a $ renpy.end_replay(). You may want to take a look at the in the documentation.

Yep, it's more a scene gallery with the single animations than a replay.

Reactions: PapaPhat

Derporito

Jun 16, 2019
I know this is rather cliché to ask but will there be any polygamous relationships or will it strictly be monogamous? I have no gripes either way, but some characters have good chemistry together as a group that would be interesting to see form closer

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
I know this is rather cliché to ask but will there be any polygamous relationships or will it strictly be monogamous? I have no gripes either way, but some characters have good chemistry together as a group that would be interesting to see form closer
Depending on player's choices there is one polyamorous relationship available. MC is currently dating Alex at the start of the story and later meets Isabella who also becomes available as MC's LI. The player must choose Alex, Isabella or to make a go with both ladies. The latter choice leads to the aforementioned polyamorous relationship... just make sure NOT to reject either one of them. Tell Alex you love her when the opportunity arises (She is the one who helped you recover emotionally after the untimely demise of your fiancé) and make sure to let Isa know that you are interested in more than just being friends. He shoots... He scores! :) MC also has the opportunity to have sex with his deceased fiancé's former boss on at least two occasions thus far. The sex scenes are solar flare hot!

However, this is a highly story centered thriller/crime drama/murder mystery that just so happens to have some really hot sex in it rather than your usual fap fare... Isabella: Dark Paths is no mere "sex romp" yet there is no shortage of sexy good times either!:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish: This just isn't the type of title that you click through to get to the sex. The story is there for good reason so give it a shot and you will see. I highly recommend this AVN! BadTimeTales is an exceptional up and coming, first time dev who is giving us masterpiece level work like an old pro! I love this title!:love: I'm hoping to see more new content soon! :)

Adventure ever on my friend, Phat;)(y)

Last edited:

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
BadTimeTales is an exceptional up and coming, first time dev who is giving up masterpiece level work like an old pro! I love this title!:love: I'm hoping to see more new content soon!
Thanks PapaPhat, that's all a dev wants to read!

Regarding new content, there was a (Patron only) update a few days back.

I'm behind my schedule for a few reasons

- I re-rendered 100 pics
- I wasn't happy with one scene and had set it up completely new (i didn't like the story telling)
- don't do renders with 15 characters

and a few other things and i admit I was a bit lazy during the holidays.

Well, we have a new location, two new side characters and we have a situation where the two girls can get closer to each other. And the MC ;)

About that decision

One other reason I'm behind my schedule is that I'm planning a steam release.
I'm redoing some animations and trying to make the sex scenes more natural, adding some more choices and a few other things (like fixing a logic error nearly nobody seems to have seen).

It's not really a redo as the stroy will be the same, but polishing and adding to make it feel better and smoother.
Couldn't have done that beforeI got the 3090 but now it's not a very big deal but still some work to do.

Unfortunately adding some choices and redoing some parts of the GUI means you will have to restart the game.
And it makes no sense to release an update now with 60-90 minutes in game time which you would have to replay with the next update.

The good thing is that you will also benefit from the steam version, as it would be the same as the Patreon version.
But I'm still uncomfortable with working on this parallel with the development of 4.1.

So my first idea was to pause Patreon for February.
Can't really say that I'm happy with that idea.

So i came up with a different idea.
Every (today) active Patron having payed (in sum) whatever the steam price will be, will get a free steam key. Where it's possible, for Germany for example you can't use that key :(

I hope that's ok for you all and I'll do my best to get the update and the steam (pre) version up as soon as possible.

Like always, no fixed release date, it's done when it's done.
But I'm doing the best I can to finish the update and the "redo". ;)

strip01.png c05-24.png isaaa.png

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Thanks PapaPhat, that's all a dev wants to read!

Regarding new content, there was a (Patron only) update a few days back.

I'm behind my schedule for a few reasons

- I re-rendered 100 pics
- I wasn't happy with one scene and had set it up completely new (i didn't like the story telling)
- don't do renders with 15 characters

and a few other things and i admit I was a bit lazy during the holidays.

Well, we have a new location, two new side characters and we have a situation where the two girls can get closer to each other. And the MC ;)

About that decision

One other reason I'm behind my schedule is that I'm planning a steam release.
I'm redoing some animations and trying to make the sex scenes more natural, adding some more choices and a few other things (like fixing a logic error nearly nobody seems to have seen).

It's not really a redo as the stroy will be the same, but polishing and adding to make it feel better and smoother.
Couldn't have done that beforeI got the 3090 but now it's not a very big deal but still some work to do.

Unfortunately adding some choices and redoing some parts of the GUI means you will have to restart the game.
And it makes no sense to release an update now with 60-90 minutes in game time which you would have to replay with the next update.

The good thing is that you will also benefit from the steam version, as it would be the same as the Patreon version.
But I'm still uncomfortable with working on this parallel with the development of 4.1.

So my first idea was to pause Patreon for February.
Can't really say that I'm happy with that idea.

So i came up with a different idea.
Every (today) active Patron having payed (in sum) whatever the steam price will be, will get a free steam key. Where it's possible, for Germany for example you can't use that key :(

I hope that's ok for you all and I'll do my best to get the update and the steam (pre) version up as soon as possible.

Like always, no fixed release date, it's done when it's done.
But I'm doing the best I can to finish the update and the "redo". ;)

View attachment 2324685 View attachment 2324686 View attachment 2324687
Hey... I don't just pass out compliments. You EARN those by making me immensely and intensely happy with the content you provide! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: (Meant to say "giving us" not "giving up" but I fixed that in my post.)

Wish I could afford to donate. If I weren't disabled and still able to work I would. My tiny disability stipend doesn't leave any room for donations, more's the pity. I really do love your work. But, the patron only content is lost on me... That is why when devs ask for ideas of what to do as something special for their patrons, my first comment is always "early access" because I do not mind waiting but do want to see all of the title's contents, not just the free stuff with a bunch of stuff hidden under patron passwords. I can't say that I have seen that from you yet. Custom renders, posters, screensavers and early release access are all great for those who can afford to dontate financially. Just remember we poor folks who love your work still want to experience the full story too... minus the bonus content that is not part of the actual story...

Schedule... Remember who you work for... YOU! You are the boss and you set the schedule! Taking time to rest, relax and recooperate around the holidays is expected. Taking time out to catch your breath is NOT being lazy, my friend. It is the better part of common sense!

I saw the difference the new 3090 is making already in the last release I played. FABULOUS! BRILLIANT! Berry perfection that I just wanted to devour! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: FLAWLESS! :)

If you make story panels that don't match your vision then yes, I can see remaking those. Just don't kill yourself, my friend. And... FIFTEEN CHARACTERS in a single frame??? Isn't the balls to the wall hard limit for the Ren'Py engine only NINE characters MAX??? You really ARE enjoying that new 3090! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: Remember that your fans, both patrons and we free loading pirate types don't all have next gen gear! Had a dear friend bless me with his old tower when he recently upgraded so I finally have something better than my old laptop with only 2 GB of Vid-ram. So, I have a 1060 now at 6 GB, 12 GB sys ram and a water cooled i7 clocked to 3.4 Ghz. But, 15 characters in a single frame? IDK if that would fly... I just don't know... That would definitely crash my old lappy! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: Also, both of my machines max out at 1080p so 4K is wasted on me and just makes my machine run slower. 1080p is a good resolution for this type of game and should work well for everyone. It will also make your game files much more manageable. I say this not knowing exactly at what resolution you are rendering but I have never had an issue with your renders or file size to date. Just a word to the wise, I guess...

Again... Holidays are designed specifically to rest and relax. Remember... YOU set the schedule! YOU are the boss! Okay? I love the idea of a new location and two new characters but what I REALLY love is the very thought of the girls and MC getting closer. That truly warms my heart. :) MC has really been through the wringer in his personal life and I get the sense that Alex has had a difficult life as well. Isa has been under no end of stress as well and the three of them could really use some bonding time... maybe even some sexy good times too! :)

Steam release... Steam censors content so I no longer play indy titles from that platform. However, since I cannot afford monthly patron pledges, I DO purchase game titles on Steam then continue to play the free version from here. That is one small way that I can actually help out in a small way. I just don't play them there on Steam. I have the same aversion to Patreon who also censors creator's content. However, you should not have that issue with any of the content that I have seen from you thus far. But, I fully support that decision to do a Steam release. I will still prefer to play a copy that is NOT part of the Steam service. With the triple A game titles, I'm stuck but with the indy titles, I'm free to DL from here and stay outside of Steam.

I would never suggest a full remake of all of your renderings but since you are doing that, bravo! You did have some strange shading/shadows and breast textures in the early frames and because I LOVE your work, I will GLADLY replay from the start to see your newly improved textures and images! Better to do that now than wait until later and spend a ton of time on a remaster of the entire title. You are learning new skills and new techniques and I can tell by the quality of your renders that your skills are improving! Take all the time you need to do what you need to do, my friend.

Pausing Patreon... I don't have a dog in that fight so I can't really say yeah or nay on that. I know other devs that have done that but they are also pulling in big money every month, thousands, even tens of thousands monthly... So, that ball is squarely in your court, my friend.

Germany... You CAN gift DL keys to folks in Germany. I did that once for a friend with a copy of New Vegas and Fallout 4 but I had to make sure that I purchased a copy that is approved for sale/use in Germany. However, those were both triple A titles, not an independent dev. So, you are correct regarding Germany. I do like the idea of you granting free Steam keys to your patrons of a high enough level. That is actually a cool idea! :) Too bad for our German friends tho... :(

Again Tales... LOVE your work! Smart move not fixing a release date. I wish you all the best for success in every endeavor, especially with your plans for this wonderfully intriguing and sexy title! Huzzah! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gorse

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Hey... I don't just pass out compliments. You EARN those by making me immensely and intensely happy with the content you provide! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: (Meant to say "giving us" not "giving up" but I fixed that in my post.)
:D Thank you!
I've said that many times, it's not only nice to hear such feedback, every dev needs it too.

Wish I could afford to donate. If I weren't disabled and still able to work I would. My tiny disability stipend doesn't leave any room for donations, more's the pity. I really do love your work. But, the patron only content is lost on me... That is why when devs ask for ideas of what to do as something special for their patrons, my first comment is always "early access" because I do not mind waiting but do want to see all of the title's contents, not just the free stuff with a bunch of stuff hidden under patron passwords. I can't say that I have seen that from you yet. Custom renders, posters, screensavers and early release access are all great for those who can afford to dontate financially. Just remember we poor folks who love your work still want to experience the full story too... minus the bonus content that is not part of the actual story...
Don't worry.
Times are tough, and I fear they will only get tougher for a lot of people.

Patreon only content is ... difficult.
There were renders for the Advent Calendar, including a short story, which I didn't post (I've posted one or two "normal" renders and the same in a slightly spicier Patron-only version), but for the game/story it's pointless to try and "hide" content anyway.

So you are missing some "bonus" content like special renders, but that's all.

Schedule... Remember who you work for... YOU! You are the boss and you set the schedule! Taking time to rest, relax and recooperate around the holidays is expected. Taking time out to catch your breath is NOT being lazy, my friend. It is the better part of common sense!

I saw the difference the new 3090 is making already in the last release I played. FABULOUS! BRILLIANT! Berry perfection that I just wanted to devour! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: FLAWLESS! :)
Now hold your horses ;)
I can think of a few things in the last chapter that were not flawless.

It is nice to learn something new with every update, and the 3090 certainly helps a lot.

If you make story panels that don't match your vision then yes, I can see remaking those. Just don't kill yourself, my friend. And... FIFTEEN CHARACTERS in a single frame??? Isn't the balls to the wall hard limit for the Ren'Py engine only NINE characters MAX??? You really ARE enjoying that new 3090! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: Remember that your fans, both patrons and we free loading pirate types don't all have next gen gear! Had a dear friend bless me with his old tower when he recently upgraded so I finally have something better than my old laptop with only 2 GB of Vid-ram. So, I have a 1060 now at 6 GB, 12 GB sys ram and a water cooled i7 clocked to 3.4 Ghz. But, 15 characters in a single frame? IDK if that would fly... I just don't know... That would definitely crash my old lappy! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: Also, both of my machines max out at 1080p so 4K is wasted on me and just makes my machine run slower. 1080p is a good resolution for this type of game and should work well for everyone. It will also make your game files much more manageable. I say this not knowing exactly at what resolution you are rendering but I have never had an issue with your renders or file size to date. Just a word to the wise, I guess...
If you have 15 or 500 people in renpy (at least the way most avn's are done) doesn't matter, as they are only pixels in a picture.
But 15 (at once) is more or less the maximum you can render at once in daz, the gpu vram is limiting the amount.

Germany... You CAN gift DL keys to folks in Germany. I did that once for a friend with a copy of New Vegas and Fallout 4 but I had to make sure that I purchased a copy that is approved for sale in Germany. However, those were both triple A titles, not a independent dev. So, you are correct regarding Germany. I do like the idea of you granting free Steam keys to your patrons of a high enough level. That is actually a cool idea! :) Too bad for our German friends tho... :(
Getting a steam key for content that is not available in Germany worked until last year.
Now, even with an official key, you can't activate that key with a German Profile/IP.

Again Tales... LOVE your work! Smart move not fixing a release date. I wish you all the best for success in every endeavor, especially with your plans for this wonderfully intriguing and sexy title! Huzzah! :)

Thanks again for your words of encouragement!
Trying to do my best ;)

isaafhd.png

battali0n

Oct 30, 2021
I was interested in trying you game out but after reading the forums I will have to pass. The thing that first caught my attention was the throuple thing which I hate. I saw that this was avoidable so cudos to you for that but the fact that you are forcing the MC to have sex with a Li that we may not be interested in is a deal breaker for me. I get that it is a central part of your story and thus you can't give your public a choice and still do the story you want. In these games I do not support any creator that forces me to have sex with anyone I don't want to or to experience any kinks I don't like. I wish you the best but this is just not for me.

• Hey there
Reactions: m4pII

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
I was interested in trying you game out but after reading the forums I will have to pass. The thing that first caught my attention was the throuple thing which I hate. I saw that this was avoidable so cudos to you for that but the fact that you are forcing the MC to have sex with a Li that we may not be interested in is a deal breaker for me. I get that it is a central part of your story and thus you can't give your public a choice and still do the story you want. In these games I do not support any creator that forces me to have sex with anyone I don't want to or to experience any kinks I don't like. I wish you the best but this is just not for me.
Hate? Don't go away mad... Just GO AWAY!!!
Here's your facepalm door prize!:FacePalm::FacePalm::FacePalm::FacePalm::FacePalm:
Here's your refund of the original purchase price... Oh yeah! IT'S a FREE GAME!
How about a bunch of us come by your place of business and insult YOUR work?
Wouldn't feel very nice, now would it?
So......
Don't go away mad... Just GO AWAY!!!

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
Hate? Don't go away mad... Just GO AWAY!!!
Here's your facepalm door prize!:FacePalm::FacePalm::FacePalm::FacePalm::FacePalm:
Here's your refund of the original purchase price... Oh yeah! IT'S a FREE GAME!
How about a bunch of us come by your place of business and insult YOUR work?
Wouldn't feel very nice, now would it?
So......
Don't go away mad... Just GO AWAY!!!
some people will be like that... :rolleyes:

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
some people will be like that... :rolleyes:
Yep... just made a reply in another forum on a related topic... it applies here as well... Hope you enjoy it... :)

"Folks ask the damnedest questions in these forums, don't they?

Individually set romances... Where's the harem?
Harem title that doesn't feature more than three in the bed at a time... Where's the orgy?
Harem WITH orgy scenes... Where's the romance?
Dev takes time to carefully and painstakingly craft updates that take an hour or longer to play...
Where's the update? Taking way too damn long!
Dev releases like clockwork every two month with updates that can be played in under an hour...
This update is too damned short! Where's the rest of it? Why the cliff hanger?
OR...
Why does this title have this (or that) tag? Where's the futa? And, the worst... Where's the ntr? (nowhere!)"

IMHO, as a first time dev, BTT is hitting a grand slam home run with this title so if someone talks shit, I'll talk shit right back. I get sick and tired of bullies pushing devs around like they're slaves. That person also got themselves a one way ticket to my ignored list so I don't have to read any more of their bullshit. Peace out, my friend.

Adventure ever on, Phat;)(y)

PS: I allowed a forum post to create a preconceived idea of a game once... ended up they were dead wrong. I haven't done that since. I play it before I rate it. If I hate it I delete it and leave. It's the games that I LOVE that hear about it. There's already way too much negativity in the world so when I hear it I just have to say, "Shut the fuck up!" Hahaha:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
Yep... just made a reply in another forum on a related topic... it applies here as well... Hope you enjoy it... :)

"Folks ask the damnedest questions in these forums, don't they?

Individually set romances... Where's the harem?
Harem title that doesn't feature more than three in the bed at a time... Where's the orgy?
Harem WITH orgy scenes... Where's the romance?
Dev takes time to carefully and painstakingly craft updates that take an hour or longer to play...
Where's the update? Taking way too damn long!
Dev releases like clockwork every two month with updates that can be played in under an hour...
This update is too damned short! Where's the rest of it? Why the cliff hanger?
OR...
Why does this title have this (or that) tag? Where's the futa? And, the worst... Where's the ntr? (nowhere!)"

IMHO, as a first time dev, BTT is hitting a grand slam home run with this title so if someone talks shit, I'll talk shit right back. I get sick and tired of bullies pushing devs around like they're slaves. That person also got themselves a one way ticket to my ignored list so I don't have to read any more of their bullshit. Peace out, my friend.

Adventure ever on, Phat;)(y)

PS: I allowed a forum post to create a preconceived idea of a game once... ended up they were dead wrong. I haven't done that since. I play it before I rate it. If I hate it I delete it and leave. It's the games that I LOVE that hear about it. There's already way too much negativity in the world so when I hear it I just have to say, "Shut the fuck up!" Hahaha:ROFLMAO:
well said... of course you don't have to like a game, but talking shit about it is not helping anyone. ooo dev is forcing me to have sex with a girl... grow the fuck up. There are plenty games I didn't like, so I deleted them and moved along quietly. At least they made the effort to create something which is admirable in itself.

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Such a good dog! Good boy Zeus! Come to papa and get some lovin' for my good boy! Yes... papa loves you... you know that don't you boy... yes... such a good boy... you like that when I scratch your chin and rub behind your ears, don't you boy... Such a good dog :)

Take THAT dog haters! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: Dogs are far too loveable, loyal and way too much fun to hate!

Adventure ever on Zeus, Phat :)

PS: Don't knock up the neighbor's poodle... again... okay? Hahaha:ROFLMAO:

LSC82

Jul 27, 2020
Such a good dog! Good boy Zeus! Come to papa and get some lovin' for my good boy! Yes... papa loves you... you know that don't you boy... yes... such a good boy... you like that when I scratch your chin and rub behind your ears, don't you boy... Such a good dog :)

Take THAT dog haters! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: Dogs are far too loveable, loyal and way too much fun to hate!

Adventure ever on Zeus, Phat :)

PS: Don't knock up the neighbor's poodle... again... okay? Hahaha:ROFLMAO:
Once we get Zeus rubbing in our feet and showing his belly... Isabella will come(and so will we :p ).
You can't get the girl while having a bad relationship with her dog, it's a universal truth.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: badtimetales
4.50 star(s) 61 Votes