VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Without any further comment

A dev's life -13

This post isn't about me.
I have realized that times have changed.

Admission. Support. Feedback.

That's what a developer wants. Some want more feedback, some want more approval, many want and need more support.

And I don't blame them. Creating a VN takes dozens of hours a week if you want to deliver a reasonable amount of content and a good story in more or less good quality.

Not to mention the hardware, the cost of assets and electricity.

Developers starting in 2018/19 or earlier had a much easier start in terms of building a fanbase.
Why is that?
One reason is the flood of new games.
But that's not all.

Isa's last update got an estimated 50k-70k+ downloads, just from my sources.
Plus the pirate sites.

While I have loyal followers and fan base after more than a year (thanks guys!), new developers see the time they invest and the feedback they get.
Which is next to nothing.

A dev asking you to whishlist their game on steam.
Almost no response.
Another asking you to rate the game. On a pirate site. Nothing.

There is a reason why so many games get abandoned - and it is not always because the dev thought they could make $10k in a month.
Abandoned games are why I hear "I won't support a dev, there's a chance they'll stop developing".
Chicken and egg.

Just as an example:
Isa has 670k views on a pirate board.
With 380 likes and 37 ratings.
Would you offer a product for this ratio?
Likes and ratings don't cost anything except 3 minutes of your time.
Hundreds of hours of work don't deserve 3 minutes of your time?

As I said, I've made my peace with the situation.
And while I'm using Isa as an example, it's just to show the numbers.

Isa will be finished. No matter what.

But if you want new games: Give those damn likes, ratings and wishlist entries.

And yes, that's one reason why I'm going for a steam release.
The Patreon way doesn't work anymore.

Sorry for the rant, but I have seen three (new) devs get frustrated about this in the last few months.

Thanks for your support!

BTT

Last edited:

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022

A dev's life -13

That's what a developer wants. Some want more feedback, some want more approval, many want and need more support.

And I don't blame them. Creating a VN takes dozens of hours a week if you want to deliver a reasonable amount of content and a good story in more or less good quality.

Developers starting in 2018/19 or earlier had a much easier start in terms of building a fanbase.
Why is that?
But that's not all.

Plus the pirate sites.

While I have loyal followers and fan base after more than a year (thanks guys!), new developers see the time they invest and the feedback they get.

Almost no response.

There is a reason why so many games get abandoned - and it is not always because the dev thought they could make $10k in a month.
Abandoned games are why I hear "I won't support a dev, there's a chance they'll stop developing".
Chicken and egg.

Just as an example:

Sorry for the rant, but I have seen three (new) devs get frustrated about this in the last few months.

Thanks for your support!

BTT
I can only say:

"I Hear You."

I will try to correct my part. You are absolutely correct, this costs much much less than the time you take to give us an extra render, or answer our inane questions.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

My deepest apologies for being inconsiderate of yours and most Devs whose work I've enjoyed, will truly try to do better.

Peace :)

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
I can't support anyone with money. Not for like of want, but because I have severe financial issues. I could scrape enough for a few minimal supports, but, every month I have to ask my wife and sons to make rather painful cuts on our spending to make ends meet, I can't in sane conscience ask them to look aside a spending on something like this, when I tell them we can't buy cookies or sodas (or worse).
I know money is tight and it will not get better. But I'm talking about actions that don't cost a penny.

Thanks for your feedback!

Fiufia

Jun 25, 2021

A dev's life -13

Why is that?
But that's not all.

Plus the pirate sites.

Almost no response.

Chicken and egg.

Just as an example:

Thanks for your support!

BTT
definitely guilty about the ratings. I just don't use them to decide whether I play a game or not. that's why I never thought about the perspective of developers on that
thank you for point it out

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
definitely guilty about the ratings. I just don't use them to decide whether I play a game or not. that's why I never thought about the perspective of developers on that
thank you for point it out
Agreed, my friend. I have played games I loved that had shitty ratings and games that I hated that had stellar ratings. Critics are assholes. I tend to ignore them and pay attention to the talented folks I meet... Like badtimetales;)(y)

Adventure ever on, Phat:cool:(y)

JustPeekin

Mar 21, 2020
Latest news.

Yep. Weekend.

Can't show much of the update as most of it would be a spoiler.
Zeus is not amused, as you can see, there's another guy helping you. The question is whether that's a good idea or not.

And that picture of Alex's father gave you a really good idea. Thanks god for the bureaucracy!

The next scenes planned for next week are with Wil, some sports (I'm not sure because I'd like to animate some parts of it and me and Blender soft bodies are not friends) and hopefully I'll get to the start of a scene that's important for the story.

I still have a knot or two to untie ;)

Reworking is going great, I'm about to finish the animations for the first chapter, 3 animations are rendering at the moment.
After the poll, the general idea is to show a longer vid to set the mood with some talking, and afte that the looping animations.

There may be a problem with the steam version, but it's nothing that can't be fixed. It's, as others have had, the music.
It shouldn't have any effect for now though.

I know that most of you play without music, but I like the way how I can set a mood with it, even if it costs me a day or two to find the tracks and putting them into the game.
I've no idea if I will be able to still do that for steam, as I don't want to have the same disasters other devs had.

Thank you for your support and feedback,

Have a great Sunday,

BTT

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
I was thinking to start this game as it has good reviews... but I saw things that the first chapters are being reworked.

Should I wait? When is the remaster about to hit?

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
I was thinking to start this game as it has good reviews... but I saw things that the first chapters are being reworked.

Should I wait? When is the remaster about to hit?
if you don't mind doing another playthrough in a month or two then there is absolutely nothing stopping you playing it now, it's a great game even without the rework

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
Someone needs to get a better hold of his dog it seems. Bad doggy=). And Alex clearly having some sleepless nights because she's thinking about Isabella all the time :p. I think we all can relate here.

• Haha
Reactions: badtimetales

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
Someone needs to get a better hold of his dog it seems. Bad doggy=). And Alex clearly having some sleepless nights because she's thinking about Isabella all the time :p. I think we all can relate here.
couple years ago soon after I adopted my dog... I ordered some pizza, and left it on the kitchen table and went back to my room to finish an email or something... came back to the kitchen to eat it, the fucker somehow jumped on the chair, opened the box and ate all of it, in like a minute tops :ROFLMAO:

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
MC has been distracted.
That happens when you buy food and forget the dog :p

And Alex .... na, that's not about Isa.
Ghosts from the past.

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
couple years ago soon after I adopted my dog... I ordered some pizza, and left it on the kitchen table and went back to my room to finish an email or something... came back to the kitchen to eat it, the fucker somehow jumped on the chair, opened the box and ate all of it, in like a minute tops :ROFLMAO:
Can you blame him though? An unguarded, fresh pizza.. Great, now im getting hungry...

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes