VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
end up binging all I can
top 3 games on the site
different vibes
Hampsure, my friend... Yep! Phat is a binge watcher/reader/player!!! When I get ahold of a whole completed game I just keep going until I either finish it or fall asleep from exhaustion around 7 or 8 AM the next morning... I'm the same way with serial TV streaming and good book series as well. I always want to see what's next!:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

Wolf... we have VERY different ideas about what makes a top AVN, my friend. No judgements, just different. I never argue opinion... it's like picking your own butt... It's pointless and it stinks! Hahaha:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Elduriel... Yes! I do get a different vibe from Isabella: Dark Paths, my friend! A very different vibe indeed! It is a a good vibe too! A great vibe. Loving this AVN!!!:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

Adventure ever on, Phat;)(y)

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Interesting to read your opinions about the cliffhangers.
Thanks for telling your opinion!

I will not remove them (at the end of an update) as I think it fits the theme.
But as I said, it's not so easy to find a good one.

For the rework/steam release I'm not sure what to do.
As people will play it without the time between the update they are not really necessary. But some/most of them also serve the story, like the last one.

It may work as a tool to improve retention of attention, but to me, it only means ONE thing: Lack of confidence on the work done. When the work is as good as this game, there's no need for a cliff hanger. I would ALWAYS return.
@badtimetales already has my attention with Alex. Already knew that she had a fucked encounter and since that point was introed, I knew it would come back to bite her.

Let's take these two quotes (which doesn't mean the others aren't important).

I'm glad you see it like this.
And I'm for sure not insecure about my work, C 3.3 was great (and ironically got the fewest comments and ratings).
At least great for what I want to tell, if people don't like it in general, I can't or better don't want to change it.

Let's look at some popular shows. GOT, 24, Supernatural.

All of them had cliffhangers between the seasons.
I'm not asking if the producers know what they do or not (because their income speaks for itself) but what do you think about those?
Sure, there is a 12 months time between the releases and im on a few months (like before and after the update).

One actual show without big cliffhangers is ST: Picard.
But that lives from the actors and I couldn't get Sir Patrick to play a role in Isa, i have no idea why not ;)

Last edited:

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019

As people will play it without the time between the update they are not really necessary. But some/most of them also serve the story, like the last one.

And I'm for sure not insecure about my work, C 3.3 was great (and ironically got the fewest comments and ratings).
At least great for what I want to tell, if people don't like it in general, I can't or better don't want to change it.

I'm not asking if the producers know what they do or not (because their income speaks for itself) but what do you think about those?
Sure, there is a 12 months time between the releases and im on a few months (like before and after the update).

But that lives from the actors and I couldn't get Sir Patrick to play a role in Isa, i have no idea why ;)
Well, I gave up on GoT when they killed Hodor. 24? Never heard of it. Supernatural, I gave up on in season 6 I think. Plus, their cliffhangers were at the end of a season. So, if you figure on 8-14 eps per season, you can deal with it. But, if it happened after each episode, I would've gave up on it in season 1.

But, with that said, Alex is keeping me playing this. If Alex wasn't an LI, or you remove her or add in something that will make me not like her anymore, (Like having her sexually harmed or something, don't think you would ever do that, but, other devs have) then I wouldn't play. As I said before, I don't beat around the bush on what I need to say.

Reactions: badtimetales

hermesh

Feb 1, 2022
Cliffhangers are great, but its a bit like with a good tv series - a strong cliffhanger keeps me on edge for a week, so i'm giddy all week for the next release. If the strong cliffhanger is there for a year (e.g. between seasons) it makes the wait far less enjoyable cause you can stay on edge only for so long.

However i think the cliffhanger you did in 3.3. was perfect for a longer duration since its certainly spelling trouble for Alex (so i'm interested to see where this story is going), but it's not an immediate life or death situation like a literal cliffhanger (hanging on a cliff), so the waiting time doesn't get into the annoying territory.

Also, while its a shame you couldn't get Patrick Steward for Isa, getting Benjamin Sisco to play your neighbor is almost as good^^

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Well, I gave up on GoT when they killed Hodor. 24? Never heard of it. Supernatural, I gave up on in season 6 I think. Plus, their cliffhangers were at the end of a season.
You are not so old like you said, if you don't know 24 ;)

But yes, the cliffhangers have been at the end of the season.
But they release 10h+ and have a one year break.

(Like having her sexually harmed or something, don't think you would ever do that, but, other devs have) then I wouldn't play. As I said before, I don't beat around the bush on what I need to say.
Not happening (Alex or any lady) and i appreciate clear words ;)

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Cliffhangers in TV are a staple. Most shows do a season cliffhanger.
And season is one thing. But, not every episode of the season. I'm not bashing badtimetales for it. I just think if there's going to be cliffhangers, maybe use them at the end of a chapter. But, at this point in time, I'm not too worried about it. I just want more Alex. Like, yesterday. :p

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
Interesting pick of shows (seen all of GoT and Supernatural, but 24 I only saw occasionally with others when it aired and recall it was a bit anxiety-inducing) - this game better have a better ending than Game of Thrones. ;)

I've watched admittedly way too much TV myself and recall that a lot of shows didn't just have season cliffhangers but also mid-season breaks that would often be big cliffhangers as well. Depending on the show there could be smaller ones within story arcs during normal episodes too. I've seen a bunch of Korean shows in the past few years and it seems like for a lot of them that air weekly their standard formula is leaving you off nearly every single episode in the middle of some big moment they KNOW you want to see and pausing on that scene while music plays to amplify the effect before ending by showing teasers for the next week's episode. They've got it down to a science. :LOL:

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022

But that lives from the actors and I couldn't get Sir Patrick to play a role in Isa, i have no idea why not ;)
It's a thriller genre story essentially. Episode ending with pistol to the back of MC's head, unexpected encounters, protagonist gets shot or in a car wreck and ends an episode in ICU, whatever you need to do, this is the kind of story that begs for it. So, for those who disparage cliffhangers... you are in the wrong genre, friends. Setting up suspense is half the battle in a good thriller. So easy to go over the top too soon and lose your audience... need that gradual build up of tension with little releases along the way... So far, I'd say you've played it just right to build some suspense and interest while giving the romance a chance to bud and blossom too. Well played, well written, well done, my friend. Ready for more! :) No hurries, no worries. I know these projects take a lot of time and effort. Just know I'm ready and you will make my day when you release it.;)(y)

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Interesting pick of shows (seen all of GoT and Supernatural, but 24 I only saw occasionally with others when it aired and recall it was a bit anxiety-inducing) - this game better have a better ending than Game of Thrones. ;)

I've watched admittedly way too much TV myself and recall that a lot of shows didn't just have season cliffhangers but also mid-season breaks that would often be big cliffhangers as well. Depending on the show there could be smaller ones within story arcs during normal episodes too. I've seen a bunch of Korean shows in the past few years and it seems like for a lot of them that air weekly their standard formula is leaving you off nearly every single episode in the middle of some big moment they KNOW you want to see and pausing on that scene while music plays to amplify the effect before ending by showing teasers for the next week's episode. They've got it down to a science. :LOL:
Mid-season breaks. Yeah. TWD was bad for that, but, I stopped watching when they killed off Glenn. (I do that quite often. They kill off a main character or more and I'm just done.)

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
Mid-season breaks. Yeah. TWD was bad for that, but, I stopped watching when they killed off Glenn. (I do that quite often. They kill off a main character or more and I'm just done.)
lol, I actually thought of that show and how it would have driven you nuts. I nearly dropped it myself at that point as he was my favorite (and they were doubly cruel by faking us out making it seem like he got killed at the end of one episode only to bring him back and kill him off for real shortly after in an absolutely agonizing to watch manner)... I kept going back on and off though and finally got through the final season not that long ago. Things got relatively interesting again in the last season but by that time there were so few characters worth caring about as much anymore and the seasons leading up to the last one were a serious slog to get through. Not sure why I do it to myself sometimes. :unsure:

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
lol, I actually thought of that show and how it would have driven you nuts. I nearly dropped it myself at that point as he was my favorite (and they were doubly cruel by faking us out making it seem like he got killed at the end of one episode only to bring him back and kill him off for real shortly after in an absolutely agonizing to watch manner)... I kept going back on and off though and finally got through the final season not that long ago. Things got relatively interesting again in the last season but by that time there were so few characters worth caring about as much anymore and the seasons leading up to the last one were a serious slog to get through. Not sure why I do it to myself sometimes. :unsure:
Sounds like you're a bit of a masochist. :ROFLMAO:

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes