VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Just out of curiosity will Annoushka get her own path with or without Isabella?
Unfortunately not in this "version".

Being completely new to this I decided to limit the LI to two ladies only for a few different reasons.
- I started with a 2070 RTX, so extra renders for the branches would have taken a long time
- Story and scripting work for a newbie

There is a a shorter extra version planned with an "alternative" story, where Jen is still living and you can have at least Alex, Isa, Jen and Val.
If and when that will be released .... I have no idea. Finishing the actual version has priority.

Crimsonfiend76

Herald - Super Naked Ginger Cuddle Time
Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Thanks for the heads up! I love redheads and Annou definitely has my attention, sadly, I will just focus on Isabella then. I'm loving the story, thanks again!

• Red Heart
Reactions: badtimetales

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Thanks for the heads up! I love redheads and Annou definitely has my attention, sadly, I will just focus on Isabella then. I'm loving the story, thanks again!
I wouldn't call Annou a readhead though .....
People have questioned if Isa dyed her hair (discord it was, i think), but with Annou that's quite obvious (which is the whole plot, Annou trying to be like the much more successful Isa).

*next game a redhead. with green eyes. noted*

Crimsonfiend76

Donor
Sep 8, 2020
I wouldn't call Annou a readhead though .....
People have questioned if Isa dyed her hair (discord it was, i think), but with Annou that's quite obvious (which is the whole plot, Annou trying to be like the much more successful Isa).

*next game a redhead. with green eyes. noted*
In the flashbacks, Annou had blonde hair, and in the present it appeared red/auburn color, and she just looked healthier, sexier and just...:love::love:!

I also really have come to appreciate and fall for Val too and I loved her sex scene in this update, she also would have been a perfect future gf/wife for the MC, I will definitely check out that alternate version with her as a LI whenever you get around to making it!

Loved the update! I hate making/seeing women cry, and while it needed to happen (for me) in order to move ahead with Isa (FINALLY!) it still hurt to see Alex's backstory flashback and then have 'the talk' with her about the relationship. The animations were very nicely done and I eagerly await the continuation with the rest of the story.

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
I also really have come to appreciate and fall for Val too and I loved her sex scene in this update, she also would have been a perfect future gf/wife for the MC

You got me curious here ....
Val was never planned like this.
But you are not the first one mentioning her.

So what is it that you like?
There are really enough blondes out there and ... well, Isa isn't so bad?
So why Val?

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
That's close to BM, have to ask rec first :p

Yes! Yes! Yes! Strawberry blonde like her or a rich auburn hair with green eyes... Yummy!:p:p:p:p:p

Just not that Carrot Top, Ronald McDonald, Howdy Doody, Ritchie Cunningham orange hair!:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Adventure ever on my friend, Phat;)(y)

PS: Not saying anything you did was wrong... Just nice to have a lovely ginger in with the blondes and brunettes. :)
I'm partial to raven haired hotties as well!:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish: Variety is the spice of life:love::love::love::love::love:

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022

So why Val?
Isa is flawless perfection personified. She is the blonde goddess.
Alex is the sweet and spicy little sprite/fairy/fae folk type... Also, flawless!
Just nice to have variety. The former boss of MC's late spouse to be is also blonde, pretty much the same shade as Isa... She could've been Strawberry Blonde, Auburn or a smoldering Raven Haired Hottie... but, you went sunshine blonde with her as well. Makes telling my screenshots apart a challenge from even the extra large thumbnail images in the files... Variety is the spice of life. That said, she really IS a hot blonde... :)
Base Profile Screenshot 2022.08.18 - 07.35.12.98.png

Reactions: badtimetales

Crimsonfiend76

Donor
Sep 8, 2020

So why Val?
I like Isa, and ironically enough, blondes are not usually my favorite, but I just think Val has good chemistry with the MC. I can see that because they already have a kind of history together through Jennifer, so they were acquainted with each other if not on friendly terms.

It seems to me, unless Val is not to be trusted, choosing to take her interest, compassion and friendliness towards the MC as genuine, she can sort of be a stand-in replacement for Jennifer as she and Jennifer were colleagues and maybe if they had time to actually explore their attraction to each other, I can easily see them dating and possibly get serious enough to live together/marry.

As for Val's physical features... it's hard to explain, I lean towards curvier women, but I like Val's natural beauty, it really comes through, and when they are being intimate with each other, it's easy to see their passion and chemistry with each other. They come off incredibly believable as lovers and just seem to fit.

I will say, maybe because Isa has been slow burned for much of this VN so far, so it's hard to say what her chemistry will be with the MC once they have a chance to date and be romantic/intimate with each other. By virtue that Val is meant just as a side girl/sexual conquest, we can already see her interactions with the MC in those settings.

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
I will say, maybe because Isa has been slow burned for much of this VN so far, so it's hard to say what her chemistry will be with the MC once they have a chance to date and be romantic/intimate with each other. By virtue that Val is meant just as a side girl/sexual conquest, we can already see her interactions with the MC in those settings.
Sorry, I've been busy.

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate it!

I've got myself into a few problems with limiting the LI to Alex and Isa.
Val was never planned like this, the Jen flashback mentioned by PapaPhat was only meant to show the similarities between her and Isa (and to have some sexy scene in that update).

I think every new dev will agree when I say "I would have done many things different".
I don't mean to please the players, it's my idea, my game. And i've learned the last 15 months that you can't please everybody.
Hate Alex/Love Alex, MC doesn't reject Isa when she asks him a favor and a few other things.

What's important for me (even if I've been manipulating the players) is that they like the story and the characters.
Even if they don't look like their usual girl to go for.
They don't need to love them, but they are part of the story.
Like some didn't like Alex and changed their mind after the Alex backstory.
Some don't like Isa, because she seems too much of a damsel in distress at the beginning.

Characters are growing/envolving.
You can't understand Alex reactions without knowing what has happened.
Same goes for Isa.

And now this reply has nothing to do with your post anymore :rolleyes:
Sorry about that

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
..// snip snip //..

I think every new dev will agree when I say "I would have done many things different".
I don't mean to please the players, it's my idea, my game. And i've learned the last 15 months that you can't please everybody.
Hate Alex/Love Alex, MC doesn't reject Isa when she asks him a favor and a few other things.

What's important for me (even if I've been manipulating the players) is that they like the story and the characters.
Some don't like Isa, because she seems too much of a damsel in distress at the beginning.

..// snip snip //..

Sorry about that
Personally, I believe I've posted my thoughts on Alex before. She's not my favorite char (and that's just me anyhow. ). I don't expect you to change her story just because, as you point out, she's important to the story's plot. And I'm perfectly fine with that. And I applaud you for sticking to your guns on that point. I would never expect a creator to compromise his/her vision.

Besides, I'm loving the overall story direction. Your writing and phrasing is on point for the most part, I can't recall being bothered with any of the texts or scene progression, quite the contrary in fact. I'm quite immersed in your story as is and cannot wait to see it progress even more. I think you're doing a great job, and I'm eager to see more of it. I honestly don't have any big criticisms about it so far.

So in the end, you should never apologize for your efforts and contributions. So please remain true to your intended vision.
;)

:cool:

Oct 10, 2022
Sorry, I've been busy.

Val was never planned like this, the Jen flashback mentioned by PapaPhat was only meant to show the similarities between her and Isa (and to have some sexy scene in that update).

Same goes for Isa.

Sorry about that
I am so glad to read this, Alex is my favourite since the beginning and it's good to hear we will have an ending for her. Usually my favourites get sideline but not this time, thank you so much. (y)

Reactions: funkymonkeyjedi

Crimsonfiend76

Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Sorry, I've been busy.

Same goes for Isa.

Sorry about that
Completely understandable and well reasoned response. I love the story and even if I wasn't an Alex fan from the beginning, I still appreciate her character and definitely her backstory. In fact, it was so heart wrenching to actually tell her I just wanted to be friends and that I don't see her as anything other than as just a friend.

Sure, on a surface level I have a pet peeve when it comes to her hair style, honestly I almost always reject every girl I see with that shaved style, but I sometimes make rare exceptions and overlook it. Additionally, her choice not to wear much/if any make up or dress very casually, didn't really endear her to me on top of the attitude we had from her when we were first introduced to her character. I will say, she looked very attractive to me when we saw her flashback and I probably would have been inclined to keep dating her if she looked closer to her past self, but I do understand the reasons behind why she changed so much.

Long story short, I wouldn't change Alex just to appease people's personal taste, your characters are what you imagine how they exist in the story you are creating and it's up to the players to get on board or just move on to something else. In any case, loving the story, and can't wait for more.

Good Luck!!

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
So why Val?
As another Val fan, perhaps I can add some insight as well. It's not about the blonde hair. Physically, if anything, it would be about how she may have the most mesmerizing eyes in the game. I do also have a tendency towards fair skin, slight freckles, and nipple/areola pigmentation that's either pinkish or just not too dark (all of which she checks). She also has great lips, facial structure/features, and a great body.

As a character, there's a number of things that draw me to her. The most immediate in my mind was having an acquaintance or friend tell you they've always been interested in you pushes certain buttons for me personally. Her being a friend of Jen's and what she has to say about her propositions in the past ups the ante a bit further. Val's not just a connection to the past but a possible silver lining that fate sometimes provides. She also represents possible missed opportunities that the MC can now can take.

Personally I like the "put together business woman that may not be so put together in other ways" archetype that she loosely fits into. I like that she seems like she seems pretty independent and that she's outwardly a well put together career-oriented individual but is a bit more of a free spirit and unconventional thinker when it comes to her private life while still seeming pretty relatable. She's got a bit of a wild side and I'm sure it didn't hurt that we got to see that showcased in the only other real sex scene options besides Alex thus far. I also tend to root for or at least appreciate underdogs and side-characters that I like to a greater degree in a lot of media over the clear main characters.

I'd ask, what's not to like about Val? ;)

Val was never planned like this, the Jen flashback mentioned by @PapaPhat was only meant to show the similarities between her and Isa (and to have some sexy scene in that update).
Interesting... I surely don't mind having only the two LIs in the story but will there continue to be any side-content for Val or any other girls in the scope of this game? I'm definitely looking forward to how this game itself progresses but also quite excited by the prospect of a follow up project with more of the characters involved. A bit sad to see no mention of Annoushka in that... within context of this game that likely makes sense though.

Hope everyone's having a nice weekend! :)

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes