VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 60 Votes

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
As another Val fan, perhaps I can add some insight as well. It's not about the blonde hair. Physically, if anything, it would be about how she may have the most mesmerizing eyes in the game. I do also have a tendency towards fair skin, slight freckles, and nipple/areola pigmentation that's either pinkish or just not too dark (all of which she checks). She also has great lips, facial structure/features, and a great body.

As a character, there's a number of things that draw me to her. The most immediate in my mind was having an acquaintance or friend tell you they've always been interested in you pushes certain buttons for me personally. Her being a friend of Jen's and what she has to say about her propositions in the past ups the ante a bit further. Val's not just a connection to the past but a possible silver lining that fate sometimes provides. She also represents possible missed opportunities that the MC can now can take.

Personally I like the "put together business woman that may not be so put together in other ways" archetype that she loosely fits into. I like that she seems like she seems pretty independent and that she's outwardly a well put together career-oriented individual but is a bit more of a free spirit and unconventional thinker when it comes to her private life while still seeming pretty relatable. She's got a bit of a wild side and I'm sure it didn't hurt that we got to see that showcased in the only other real sex scene options besides Alex thus far. I also tend to root for or at least appreciate underdogs and side-characters that I like to a greater degree in a lot of media over the clear main characters.

I'd ask, what's not to like about Val? ;)
Yep, Val gave me those same vibes... and that's why I didn't like her at first. Like, 'don't be too pushy, bitch, can't you see I'm still grieving? Wasn't she also a good friend of yours, ffs? Respect her memory a bit'. But then I took some distance and saw it clear as day. She always lusted for you and never made a move back then because she respected your relationship and their friendship, but now your beloved fiancee is sadly out of the picture... well, it's been a year and we're still alive so let's celebrate life together, can't we? Maybe she just wanted a taste of our MC and that's it, but now he is already in a very different stage than he was just some weeks ago, so I see him taking this chance with her kind of as a part of his healing process. You're not cheating your late fiancee, you are just moving on as she would have liked you to do, most likely. That silver lining you mention. And then who knows what will happen between us? Life's second chances and all

Oct 10, 2022
People here praising that reporter chick but I am getting weird vibes from her. She mentioned Jen was sharing everything with her and after Jen with another competitor out of the her way, she got the lead job. I strongly suspect she has direct or indirect involvement of Jen's death and she is using sex to be close with MC for being informed about their investigation. :unsure:

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
As another Val fan, perhaps I can add some insight as well. It's not about the blonde hair. Physically, if anything, it would be about how she may have the most mesmerizing eyes in the game. I do also have a tendency towards fair skin, slight freckles, and nipple/areola pigmentation that's either pinkish or just not too dark (all of which she checks). She also has great lips, facial structure/features, and a great body.

As a character, there's a number of things that draw me to her. The most immediate in my mind was having an acquaintance or friend tell you they've always been interested in you pushes certain buttons for me personally. Her being a friend of Jen's and what she has to say about her propositions in the past ups the ante a bit further. Val's not just a connection to the past but a possible silver lining that fate sometimes provides. She also represents possible missed opportunities that the MC can now can ta
Thanks for your opinion!

Difficult to answer that without giving too many spoilers.

Personally I like the "put together business woman that may not be so put together in other ways" archetype that she loosely fits into. I like that she seems like she seems pretty independent and that she's outwardly a well put together career-oriented individual but is a bit more of a free spirit and unconventional thinker when it comes to her private life while still seeming pretty relatable. She's got a bit of a wild side and I'm sure it didn't hurt that we got to see that showcased in the only other real sex scene options besides Alex thus far. I also tend to root for or at least appreciate underdogs and side-characters that I like to a greater degree in a lot of media over the clear main characters.
The problem is that the MC's character would not be ok with continuing the fun with her after saying yes to Alex.
At least not in this "version" of the VN.

But Val will have an important role in solving the murder.

Interesting... I surely don't mind having only the two LIs in the story but will there continue to be any side-content for Val or any other girls in the scope of this game? I'm definitely looking forward to how this game itself progresses but also quite excited by the prospect of a follow up project with more of the characters involved. A bit sad to see no mention of Annoushka in that... within context of this game that likely makes sense though.
As I said, Val will be there storywise. As will be Trish (nobody mentioned here yet ;)).
It's all about the support the MC has and/or builds up to solve the murder.
And possible treason.

Yep, Val gave me those same vibes... and that's why I didn't like her at first. Like, 'don't be too pushy, bitch, can't you see I'm still grieving? Wasn't she also a good friend of yours, ffs? Respect her memory a bit'. But then I took some distance and saw it clear as day. She always lusted for you and never made a move back then because she respected your relationship and their friendship, but now your beloved fiancee is sadly out of the picture... well, it's been a year and we're still alive so let's celebrate life together, can't we? Maybe she just wanted a taste of our MC and that's it, but now he is already in a very different stage than he was just some weeks ago, so I see him taking this chance with her kind of as a part of his healing process. You're not cheating your late fiancee, you are just moving on as she would have liked you to do, most likely. That silver lining you mention. And then who knows what will happen between us? Life's second chances and all
Yeah, many people didn't get how "long" ago the murder happened. I saw that discussion already with Alex.
The twist with "Jen and Val shared everything" was a but rushed, I'll admit that, but it was the only way to bring her into the spicy part. For the story she was planned anyways.

People here praising that reporter chick but I am getting weird vibes from her. She mentioned Jen was sharing everything with her and after Jen with another competitor out of the her way, she got the lead job. I strongly suspect she has direct or indirect involvement of Jen's death and she is using sex to be close with MC for being informed about their investigation.
Uhm, can't tell ;)
Part of the news network (who destroyed the laptop) will be addressed in the next update.

Thanks for your feedback!

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020

Late again, too much work :/
Somehow I missed the Easter update, too much work and family business, sorry about that. :( (Why nobody kicked my ass?!)

So, progress?

Yes! I don't know any english idioms to describe what I want to say.
Basically it's like it's the last months.

Working on the update and the rework (some scenes to show soon).
And with both parts there is always a scene or two that needs 3-4 versions to make it look right :/
I've had that in ever update yet and really would be happy if i could eliminate that time consumer.

For the update I reworked one scene, added a few dozen renders and more story for another. Working on it will go on.

For the rework I've worked on the animations and the scripts, will focus on the GUI the next week.

Thanks for your support,
hope you had a good weekend and have a good start into the new week!

BTT

(might upload a few wallpapers, but i'm not happy with the looks right now)

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
People here praising that reporter chick but I am getting weird vibes from her. She mentioned Jen was sharing everything with her and after Jen with another competitor out of the her way, she got the lead job. I strongly suspect she has direct or indirect involvement of Jen's death and she is using sex to be close with MC for being informed about their investigation. :unsure:
That's the thing I love about this kinda story... not many people I as the player actually fully trust even if the MC does and knowing it'll suck if any of the MC's friends turn out to have other intentions but enjoying the ride.

The problem is that the MC's character would not be ok with continuing the fun with her after saying yes to Alex.
At least not in this "version" of the VN.
Who said anything about saying yes to Alex? :p Kidding, understood on the reasoning especially if things are going to get more serious with Alex, Isa, or both (then again... no, never mind, I must resist my harem-genre fueled logic, lol).

Somehow I missed the Easter update, too much work and family business, sorry about that. :( (Why nobody kicked my ass?!)
Doubt anyone will hold that against you... it's a busy time of year for everyone especially if you've got responsibilities besides creating a game. ;) Work, family, and upkeep tasks have left little time for rest or entertainment let alone anything else for me lately.

Difficult to answer that without giving too many spoilers.
The amount of "no comment" type answers combined with the 4.1 teaser has me even more psyched than before. :love:

• Haha
Reactions: badtimetales

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
That's the thing I love about this kinda story... not many people I as the player actually fully trust even if the MC does and knowing it'll suck if any of the MC's friends turn out to have other intentions but enjoying the ride.
Trust?
I even don't trust myself :sneaky::D

Who said anything about saying yes to Alex? :p Kidding, understood on the reasoning especially if things are going to get more serious with Alex, Isa, or both (then again... no, never mind, I must resist my harem-genre fueled logic, lol).
lol.
As a harem lover you are really lost here, sorry.

I've explained why i decided to go with 2 LI only, but to be honest:
It's close to impossible to explain more than two or three girls if you want to deliver a believable (outside VN world) story.

The amount of "no comment" type answers combined with the 4.1 teaser has me even more psyched than before. :love:
*shrughs*

Too much happening ;)
But the "fan theories" channel in my discord is abandoned for some time too.

Crimsonfiend76

Herald - Super Naked Ginger Cuddle Time
Donor
Sep 8, 2020

As a character, there's a number of things that draw me to her. The most immediate in my mind was having an acquaintance or friend tell you they've always been interested in you pushes certain buttons for me personally. Her being a friend of Jen's and what she has to say about her propositions in the past ups the ante a bit further. Val's not just a connection to the past but a possible silver lining that fate sometimes provides. She also represents possible missed opportunities that the MC can now can take.

I'd ask, what's not to like about Val? ;)

Interesting... I surely don't mind having only the two LIs in the story but will there continue to be any side-content for Val or any other girls in the scope of this game? I'm definitely looking forward to how this game itself progresses but also quite excited by the prospect of a follow up project with more of the characters involved. A bit sad to see no mention of Annoushka in that... within context of this game that likely makes sense though.

Hope everyone's having a nice weekend! :)
Thank You! You managed to crystalize my thoughts completely. I agree with everything you posted, blondes are usually not my favorite, however, I see a lot of natural beauty in Val, even down to her personal grooming habits below, and with the confidence and sexuality she just naturally exudes, I just find her so irresistible and sexy.

I also like to imagine Val to both be attracted to the MC but also respectful of her former friend and coworker so it would make sense for her not to go after him back when Jen was still alive. I also think there might have been a missed opportunity with Val had she been more determined to meet with, and help the MC through his grief... even if it was just as a friend only... to start. Eventually, Val could have very well persuaded the MC to let her take Alex's place as both a lover and friend while being supportive of him looking to get justice for Jen. It is what it is, and I will just be happy with however we can have Val in this version of the game.

Last edited:

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
BTT, I think that the general consensus is that Val is a happy accident that should be explored.

She's attractive. She's available. She has a story with the MC. Considering how Isa is so physically similar to Jen, there could be an avenue for a fast friendship there. Heck, even Alex could get on board seeing how she's a very sympathetic person.

This is NOT a request, much less me telling you what to do, just a consideration that there's a consensus here that Val "could" be a lot more involved in the story. I leave it to your consideration, obviously.

accidents.gif

Peace :)

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
determined to meet with, and help the MC through his grief... even if it was just as a friend only... to start. Eventually, Val could have very well persuaded the MC to let her take Alex's place as both a lover and friend while being supportive of him looking to get justice for Jen. It is what it is, and I will just be happy with however we can have Val in this version of the game.
BTT, I think that the general consensus is that Val is a happy accident that should be explored.

She's attractive. She's available. She has a story with the MC. Considering how Isa is so physically similar to Jen, there could be an avenue for a fast friendship there. Heck, even Alex could get on board seeing how she's a very sympathetic person.

This is NOT a request, much less me telling you what to do, just a consideration that there's a consensus here that Val "could" be a lot more involved in the story. I leave it to your consideration, obviously.

Thanks for the feedback!

From personal experience I can say that Val wouldn't have had a chance at any time. Not after one month, not after a year, not after ten.
Because she would always remind me of my ex gf (to stay in the story).
If you experience a loss you try to avoid anything that reminds you about what you have lost.
At least that's how I feel. I know that people tend to look for exactly the same what they have lost. But that's not me.

What I find funny is that people like Val so much ..... even after somebody pointed out that I've used the same skin textures, for example.
Don't get me wrong .... In real life I would like her too ;)
While the main LI characteristics (appearance and acting) are set up after real ladies, Val was just a fictional character.

Long story short, I don't see Val as a LI in this version of the game.
It's difficult enough to make Alex accept Isa (if you are on the "two girls" route). Well, I'm working on that ;)
Sure, if you reject Alex a Isa/Val would be an opinion.
Did I mention I hate the branching even now at this early stage?
It's not only the extra renders, it's the scripting too.

I'll try to deliver that in the "what if" version, but for the current game I don't see any way to have Val as a LI.

Sorry.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Thanks for the feedback!

From personal experience I can say that Val wouldn't have had a chance at any time. Not after one month, not after a year, not after ten.
If you experience a loss you try to avoid anything that reminds you about what you have lost.
At least that's how I feel. I know that people tend to look for exactly the same what they have lost. But that's not me.

What I find funny is that people like Val so much ..... even after somebody pointed out that I've used the same skin textures, for example.
Don't get me wrong .... In real life I would like her too ;)
While the main LI characteristics (appearance and acting) are set up after real ladies, Val was just a fictional character.

Long story short, I don't see Val as a LI in this version of the game.
It's difficult enough to make Alex accept Isa (if you are on the "two girls" route). Well, I'm working on that ;)
Sure, if you reject Alex a Isa/Val would be an opinion.

I'll try to deliver that in the "what if" version, but for the current game I don't see any way to have Val as a LI.

Sorry.
Not gonna deny that it's a bit of a bummer.

YET...

I can see your reasoning, and I can feel your points. Her relationship with Jenny, would make for a very satisfying nostalgia trip, for a while, but it could sour really fast. It could... well, it doesn't matter. As the captain of this ship you made a choice.

I rarely go for what ifs, which is strange because it was my favorite type of stories to write (many years ago). Nowadays they feel like a empty attempt to rewrite the past, and I really don't like it that much, hey, personal choices, no critique intended.

Well, it was an interesting exercise to look at what we felt for Val. I would say you should be proud that even a character into which you didn't put that much effort (I'm assuming, don't kill me) was able to garner this much support.

Alex and Isa, I can't even imagine the dissertations we would get if we attempted to find out what we all think about them. :D

Peace :)

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
That's good point. I can understand that.... even if it's just lost love (or anything remotely emotionally traumatic) it can still affect what and who I'm willing to be around if it's strong enough. For me those kind of things generally get better with time but don't fully go away. I remember for years after parting ways with one of the greatest loves of my life I still found myself staying on the opposite side of the room from girls that reminded me of her at all. I can't say I've been in the shoes of the MC but taking the way that death of loved ones has affected me and trying to apply it to his situation really amplifies things even more and makes sense of how he'd feel about Val - even if the MC was the opposite of you he'd still struggle with how he felt about her and why (plus whether it was genuine or not - which wouldn't make for a good relationship).

We appreciate the effort! Harem might require less branching you know... :whistle: ;) Kidding, most of us like choice and then hate it when we have to make the hard ones but at least have the option of trying them.

Sorry.
Apologies aren't needed nor accepted here. ;) The sentiment is appreciated though.

I rarely go for what ifs, which is strange because it was my favorite type of stories to write (many years ago). Nowadays they feel like a empty attempt to rewrite the past, and I really don't like it that much, hey, personal choices, no critique intended.
Kinda the same in way but it's largely dependent on the story and how much I'm tied to what in my head (or explicitly stated) the "canonical" version is and whether it may sully that experience or not. I usually approach AVNs slightly differently but even in these games I tend to play the route I consider my main one and then play the "alternative ones" if they fit or provide a different perspective while avoiding ones I'm not comfortable with. In this case it seems like it could be just a good bit of extra fun so I'll definitely be looking forward to this what if personally.

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
even if the MC was the opposite of you he'd still struggle with how he felt about her and why (plus whether it was genuine or not - which wouldn't make for a good relationship).
It will be more the (short) harem version of the game.
Jen's alive, meeting Val on her new job, some parties later ..... ;)
It's just an idea and as i've said, nothing to be expected before this VN is finished.

Alex and Isa, I can't even imagine the dissertations we would get if we attempted to find out what we all think about them. :D
*lol*

We've had enough of that already, from "We are forced to have sex with Alex" to "MC is a pussylicker, he does everything Isa wants" and the most funny "Jen is alive, only faked her death and is betraying you".

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
Jen's alive, meeting Val on her new job, some parties later ..... ;)
It's just an idea and as i've said, nothing to be expected before this VN is finished.
:sneaky: Yep, definitely will be on board for whatever/whenever that ends up being.

and the most funny "Jen is alive, only faked her death and is betraying you".
:unsure: Said like someone who is tricking us in to believing Jen wasn't alive would say. ;) :ROFLMAO: Seems like there's always a certain amount of people that go into these games just looking to be upset at a woman for something. :WaitWhat:

4.50 star(s) 60 Votes