VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 60 Votes

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
I know some people are probably upset
But I really like slow building romance in these games
It makes me feel more emotionally connected to the characters
I can not agree more especially sometimes it gives them LI more of a girlfriend feel. If not they are they are usually somewhere in the middle for me which is fine as well. very few LI in these types of games have gave me that feeling even out of the slow burns I have played so far. Maybe only 5-6 LI out of the the 19 AVN games ive finished have given me a true Girlfriend feel. On top of all that i find when there isnt any slow burn relationship there is a good chance the story of the game suffers.

Gorse

GFX Designer
Aug 16, 2020
The following scene of the recent update got me smiling all over my face :LOL:....

Candy.jpg

cause it's actually very similar to...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

badtimetales, you might want to consider to change the dialogue of your scene according to that movie scene for a nonsensical, but at least very amusing movie quote reference?! (Just kiddin') ;)

Anyway, great update! I'm looking forward to more cat-vs.-dog 'fights', more bonding of Isa & Alex and the further concretion of the plot.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
I'm just taking a bit of a piss to BTT. He knows that that is the content I am waiting for. LOL

Yes. a slow build up is exactly that, a way to build up a character and create more reasons to connect beyond the looks. To learn the whys and the whats, the dos and the don'ts. Writing a character that is only there to be a warm body to have sex with, like a positionable doll made of skin and meat, may work for an empty story. But if anyone wants to write anything with any more depth than that, the character needs to be more than the doll.

We, readers, don't really connect to the written character. Yes, I can ear you go, "What???" Yes, it is true, we don't connect to the character as it is written. We connect to the idea of that character that we create in our minds using IRL examples that we've known and we can relate with. When we say that a character is life-like (as Alex is) it's because it is extremely relatable, and we were able to create a very defined and multi dimensional image of it. In extreme cases, the written characters even gain a living space in our heads, and they will make part of the future relatable attributes we will assign to the written characters we encounter.

In this game, both Isa and Alex are in the life-like area, not only because BTT made a really good job in creating them, but, because he was able to give us a generous amount of connecting points to where we can "glue" our own attributes and bring them to life in our minds. Reading and writing are NOT the same thing, but both are a creative effort. You can't read without creating, because of the internal process that is what allows us to "grok"* a story.

So yeah, to be able to develop a connection, romantic or otherwise, you need material to build it inside of you. That's what a slow-burn story does for us, gives us connecting points.

There I go again, writing too much on a forum where reading is almost a lost art. :: sigh ::

Peace :)

* "grok" is a concept invented by Robert A. Heinlein on his book "A Stranger in a Strange Land", that you can read about here:

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I'm just taking a bit of a piss to BTT. He knows that that is the content I am waiting for. LOL

Yes. a slow build up is exactly that, a way to build up a character and create more reasons to connect beyond the looks. To learn the whys and the whats, the dos and the don'ts. Writing a character that is only there to be a warm body to have sex with, like a positionable doll made of skin and meat, may work for an empty story. But if anyone wants to write anything with any more depth than that, the character needs to be more than the doll.

We, readers, don't really connect to the written character. Yes, I can ear you go, "What???" Yes, it is true, we don't connect to the character as it is written. We connect to the idea of that character that we create in our minds using IRL examples that we've known and we can relate with. When we say that a character is life-like (as Alex is) it's because it is extremely relatable, and we were able to create a very defined and multi dimensional image of it. In extreme cases, the written characters even gain a living space in our heads, and they will make part of the future relatable attributes we will assign to the written characters we encounter.

In this game, both Isa and Alex are in the life-like area, not only because BTT made a really good job in creating them, but, because he was able to give us a generous amount of connecting points to where we can "glue" our own attributes and bring them to life in our minds. Reading and writing are NOT the same thing, but both are a creative effort. You can't read without creating, because of the internal process that is what allows us to "grok"* a story.

So yeah, to be able to develop a connection, romantic or otherwise, you need material to build it inside of you. That's what a slow-burn story does for us, gives us connecting points.

There I go again, writing too much on a forum where reading is almost a lost art. :: sigh ::

* "grok" is a concept invented by Robert A. Heinlein on his book "A Stranger in a Strange Land", that you can read about here:
I never thought of it that way
Bu you are absolutely right

Reactions: badtimetales

fishbrain

Engaged Member
Apr 9, 2018
Bella is a good girl, and she knows the relationship between the MC and Alex, she's not a home wrecker and she likes Alex and doesn't want to ruin not only a relationship but possibly two friendships when she's been alone for so long. She may like the MC, but she's not about to torpedo everything for it. So she's been holding back.
Cool thanks, I get that, just wanted to be sure. There's no relationship left for me. I understand the attraction of the throuple but Alex doesn't do it for me. Her reaction with all the Jen stuff as well as being a hypocrite about him not telling her his past while she was hiding hers, that quite frankly wasn't nearly as tragic or as traumatic just turned me off. I'm also predominantly a one woman guy so no harm no foul, let her get back to normal from the concussion then she can take her stupid cat and get the fuck out..

Dark Silence

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 17, 2021
Yes. a slow build up is exactly that, a way to build up a character and create more reasons to connect beyond the looks.
Hmm... Slow... Build up... Connect... As I'm going deeper, looking at their backs. Isn't that connecting and going beyond the looks? :p;):ROFLMAO:

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
if I choose Alex's path, will I still be able to choose another one?
I doubt you'll be able to dump her once you've committed to her, but you will be able to date Isabella as well, with both girls ok with it. Actually, it will be all three of you dating each other.
I don't know if you'll be able to have sex with any side girls while in a relationship with Alex, Isa or both.

And with either or both, why would anyone want to? ;)

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
cause it's actually very similar to...
I had that scene in my mind when I wrote the text.
Changed it a bit, as Candy in the game is just a barkeeper and no hooker.

The main character in the strip club is Cassie and she will (despite of the bad hair, no idea how a dev could have done a whole AVN with it) be back in the story.

The ArcKnight

Nylon enthusiast, Harem enjoyer.
Donor
May 19, 2018
View attachment 1732233
Isabella: Dark Paths [Ch. 4] Walkthrough Mod
The Mod highlights the "best choices" with the Color Green.
Increase or decrease Text and Text Box Opacity.

Installation:

Download: - - ANDROID by cebs

As always if you like this Amazing Game please show your support for the Dev, .
If you like my work, please consider supporting me on my or , check my .
Any clue when you'll update this?

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
2 things:

1 - Joker Leader is on vacations until the end of August.
2 - That mod version is compatible with the latest release, I've played with it, many others too, no problem whatsoever.

Enjoy.

Yes. JL's current mod update is a match to the latest release of Isabella Dark Paths and functions flawlessly. I don't use the mod for my active saves but did a play test of it for BTT and fans to prove it works. I concur that the mod is up to date and fully functional. Adventure ever on my friends, Phat;)(y)

lolo49520

Sep 29, 2017
View attachment 1732233
Isabella: Dark Paths [Ch. 4] Walkthrough Mod
The Mod highlights the "best choices" with the Color Green.
Increase or decrease Text and Text Box Opacity.

Installation:

Download: - - ANDROID by cebs

As always if you like this Amazing Game please show your support for the Dev, .
If you like my work, please consider supporting me on my or , check my .
mixdrop link dont work for me

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Patreon changed their tier pics format a few weeks back, so I had to make some new ones.

I'll add them as Isa signatures in the OP if you want to use them.
They are not as good as the work of the great 2d artists here, but I like them.

And while you consider using them, think about a rating ;)
It would really help.

Edit: No, the just look bad. Took them offline.
Have to check what went wrong while resizing them.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020
Haha...i thought I finally got rid of Alex but nooooooo her ex-daddy had to ruin it all.. Bella and Alex, are they the only LIs? Someone has to be thrown into the mix for some of us who have no intention of dating those two but considering the name of the game is Isabella, I'm not hopeful. :4Head:

4.50 star(s) 60 Votes