• We will be performing maintenance to upgrade some of our forum tools. During this time, the site will remain online, but you may encounter some errors until the maintenance is complete. The report and systems will be unavailable until the maintenance is complete.

Maintenance is expected to last up to 4 hours.

The maintenance window will start on Thursday, 2024/07/04, at: 1:00 PM GMT / 3:00 PM CEST / 9:00 AM EDT / 6:00 AM PDT / 12:00 AM AEDT

Thank you for your patience.

tcallas

Nov 6, 2017
I've updated the master-ia and master-ia-patch branches with some experimental balance tweaks. Aura stats won't rise as quickly, and OP abilities are less OP.

Edit: I've updated the branches again, adding despair if you punish too many times per day, mirroring the spoiling for excessive rewards. Also tied into the difficulty settings, so easy difficulty ignores it and normal difficulty gets an extra daily punishment before penalties kick in.
I tried it briefly so far and I really liked the changes. I had to use a balance of punishment and rewards. Using 'encourage' well was important, as I had to alternate between using punishments and BDSM gear to build fear and obedience, then improving mood and trying to raise merit to avoid a depression and despair spiral. I even got some more use out of the Rules, as the aura stats were so much slower to build. Threaten seems well balanced now, but the Fear spell still raising 1 despair a cast makes it pretty unusable.

Overall it's far more challenging on hardcore, and a new crappy slaver is going to have to pick very carefully what slaves he attempts to train.

High-tier public punishments raise awareness quickly, but only if matched to guilt. (Keep in mind they are also rape, so the effects are magnified on a virgin.)
Is the 3 despair on non-virgins working as intended? If so, it seems pretty disproportionate. Iron Maiden and Infected Pit are fine, but Public Toilet is 3 despair, even if the slave feels like it's deserved? I had to avoid using them on my Arrogant Pride slave playthrough, which kinda sucked. Three despair is gonna cripple your slave from doing anything useful for so many days.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Is the 3 despair on non-virgins working as intended? If so, it seems pretty disproportionate. Iron Maiden and Infected Pit are fine, but Public Toilet is 3 despair, even if the slave feels like it's deserved? I had to avoid using them on my Arrogant Pride slave playthrough, which kinda sucked. Three despair is gonna cripple your slave from doing anything useful for so many days.
Despair depends on empathy attribute. Rape is particularly harsh for sensitive slaves. Still, I've made a couple of further tweaks to reduce angst impacts for Tremendio and rape. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: tcallas

tcallas

Nov 6, 2017
Are your slaves typically devoted by day 10? That's something that was basically impossible in 1.2.1, when devotion only increased slowly overnight after a slave reached a certain level of obedience and positive attitude.
Hey, I had a look at the code, and I'm wondering that if I'm missing something. As far as I can see, Devotion will increase as long as the mood is positive; rules >= 3; each of Taming, Awareness, Habit above Devotion - I.E one of each initially; Fear and pride < 5.

Is there something I'm missing in regards to requiring high obedience?

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Hey, I had a look at the code, and I'm wondering that if I'm missing something. As far as I can see, Devotion will increase as long as the mood is positive; rules >= 3; each of Taming, Awareness, Habit above Devotion - I.E one of each initially; Fear and pride < 5.

Is there something I'm missing in regards to requiring high obedience?
Devotion is a continuum.

No Devotion
Wavering
Dutiful
Loyal
Devoted
Worshipful

Overnight increases are capped by other aura stats as you saw. Many rewards directly increase devotion however, so overnight increases (which were the only way to build devotion in 1.2.1) have less significance now.

Lorien

Jun 29, 2017
As an experiment, I tried to sell a slave to the colosseum. If at the set price, they give 1500 sparks, with a discount of 900, but, suddenly, trying to bargain for the best price, they give 0.

Lorien

Jun 29, 2017
I will note that later I tried, they give the same 1500. It is not clear what was at that moment.
Version 2.2.1 Dev

tcallas

Nov 6, 2017
Devotion is a continuum.

No Devotion
Wavering
Dutiful
Loyal
Devoted
Worshipful

Overnight increases are capped by other aura stats as you saw. Many rewards directly increase devotion however, so overnight increases (which were the only way to build devotion in 1.2.1) have less significance now.
You only need 1 in each though which you can get on turn 1 or 2. Once you get 1 devotion training is trivial.

It's funny, all this time I have been playing I didn't realise you needed 3 rules or less than 5 fear to build devotion. I just assumed it was something that built when you had high obedience and mood.

I tried a cheese strat to try to raise devotion ASAP and it seems extremely op. First raised fear to 2 while all aura stats got to 1. Set Rules Deny Orgasm, Masturbation, Cook. Sundress, Slippers. Made sure she went to bed optimistic each night. Sent to random school/tutor subjects. Didn't get any high-level rewards. 11 days she got 1 devotion, which let me train sex skills for high-level reward spam. 17 days 2 devotion, fear reduced, Ecstatic mood, S+ results every time. The trainer was new and crappy. Slave stats don't matter after you get her to act as cook, as long as pride is not too high.

I'm gonna mess with the code in my game and make high (max?) obedience a prerequisite to building devotion while removing the rule and fear requirements - and possibly the pride(?) - as they seem a bit unintuitive and arbitrary to me. Not sure many players might like how hard that might be though haha.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I'm gonna mess with the code in my game and make high (max?) obedience a prerequisite to building devotion while removing the rule and fear requirements - and possibly the pride(?) - as they seem a bit unintuitive and arbitrary to me. Not sure many players might like how hard that might be though haha.
Adjusting the overnight formula won't affect much unless you make it the only way to raise devotion.

tcallas

Nov 6, 2017
Adjusting the overnight formula won't affect much unless you make it the only way to raise devotion.
It's quite hard to get high-tier rewards now with a disobedient slave w/o the spell. I got 1 devotion in 11 days just with overnight gains in my example. Slave was like -6 red disobedience when she got 1 devotion lol.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
It's quite hard to get high-tier rewards now with a disobedient slave w/o the spell. I got 1 devotion in 11 days just with overnight gains in my example. Slave was like -6 red disobedience when she got 1 devotion lol.
On latest master-ia/master-ia-patch, I've added a positive obedience requirement to the overnight devotion formula and lowered the threshold for overnight devotion loss due to despair.

I will note that later I tried, they give the same 1500. It is not clear what was at that moment.
Version 2.2.1 Dev
I also added an interim fix for the bargaining issue.

Reactions: tcallas

okuru1

Jun 4, 2021
hi, i have a problem with taming increasing. it hasn't increase at all and my slaves don't follow the rules. How can i fix it? The version of my game is 2.2

Jun 28, 2020
So I tried a new run with this new branch in hardcore with no skillpoint investment and yep it's possible, in fact I made it out of the slums so can confirm it's doable.
At some point I got lucky with the RNG and bought a D- slave direct from the auction, the downside being she was mentally broken, so I did concubine training with her and after she got the requirements I turned her back to normal, problem is, as I was training her for concubine my plan was to rise her nature using only orgasms timing the last one to be the 10th point, but instead of leveling up her nature it went back to 0 again, so I had to do the entertain me thing to turn her back to normal, is this intended or is it a bug?

tcallas

Nov 6, 2017
Hey guys, I made a personal mini balance mod if anyone wants to try. Basically, I wanted to make training high-attribute slaves a real challenge initially, while reducing the tedium of grinding skills for the high levels.

Changelog:
Made overnight devotion gain require 6 obedience - this is basically the challenge of the game on hard!
Devotion gain no longer blocked by too high pride, fear, or too few rules.
Very low mood increases despair more overnight.
Forcing rules cause less despair.
Despair lowers slightly slower.
Devotion lowers fear quicker.
Removed all basic skill and sex skill requirements. No longer do you have to grind a bunch of random skills! Just focus on building Obedience, Devotion, Attributes, and your Contract-Specific requirements! No more carpal tunnel!

Things I wanna do/try (I'm a noob coder):
Make rape less impactfull, both in positive and negative effects.
Maybe even add a new, 'sexual abuse' punishment category, and make rape work like any other punishment.

If anyone wants to mess about with it just say and I can upload the files.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Hey guys, I made a personal mini balance mod
Congratulations on becoming a modder.

> Made overnight devotion gain require 6 obedience - this is basically the challenge of the game on hard!

Did you choose 6 based on a specific combination of attributes and aura stats? If you set this too high, you are making fear a mandatory aura stat to build devotion, which blocks no-fear/no-punish reward-only training. (Of course, as long as there are still other ways to raise devotion, it's only a soft block.)

> Devotion gain no longer blocked by too high pride, fear, or too few rules.

A slave who isn't asked to follow any rules is left to her own devices outside the times when the slaver is commanding or training her. Even if that is only overnight, it means she isn't being required to have the slaver's expectations or desires in mind at all times, which is what devotion is really about -- replacing the slave's morality - her internal view of what is good or bad - with "whatever the master wants is what I want."

High pride is the slave believing herself superior, which similarly goes against the development of a slave morality.

High fear is the slave spending every waking moment in suspense anticipating that she will be tortured. She needs to be able to relax sometimes (less than max fear) to reflect on the positives of her situation and begin forming a belief that maybe being a slave for the rest of her life is a good thing.

> Very low mood increases despair more overnight.
> Forcing rules cause less despair.
> Despair lowers slightly slower.

Passive (mood) = more impact, active (forcing rules) = less impact. This seems counter-intuitive.

How do you expect players to adjust their gameplay based on these changes?

> Devotion lowers fear quicker.

What prompted you to make this change?

> Removed all basic skill and sex skill requirements. No longer do you have to grind a bunch of random skills! Just focus on building Obedience, Devotion, Attributes, and your Contract-Specific requirements! No more carpal tunnel!

Can you elaborate what you did here? It's hardly random to expect a higher-ranked slave to be skilled in multiple areas. Clicking three different skills vs. clicking one skill three times = same number of clicks. This calls into question your "no more carpal tunnel" claim.

> Make rape less impactfull, both in positive and negative effects.
> Maybe even add a new, 'sexual abuse' punishment category, and make rape work like any other punishment.

It was deliberately made more impactful in 2.2. Rape is psychological torture, which may or may not be paired with physical torture. Rape victims can see themselves as permanently "defiled" and experience dissociation / self-betrayal ("my body is sending me pleasure signals while I am screaming NO"). With non-sexual torture, the victim "only" has to deal with pain, not pleasure (unless masochist).

Jun 28, 2020
4.00 star(s) 59 Votes