Ningyosai

May 19, 2017
How are you selling them? (There's a moneylender in the Slums.)

Normal start and custom game on normal difficulty are the same, except that normal starts have preallocated points and have some items pre-purchased.

If you're finding it too difficult to train slaves, you can go to the in-game options menu and change the obedience difficulty setting to "easy".

For paperwork (secretary), school uniform and glasses give a bonus. For elocution, kimono-yukata gives a bonus. But "presentable" for sale is different from dressing for lessons. For sale, you're aiming to increase their charm, the components of which are displayed on the slave's anatomy tab if you cast the auspex spell.

Temperament and nature going down could be despair. Pride going up could be she's breaking rules you set for her.

Do you know that if you hover your pointer over the yellow triangle on the menu icons for punishments and rewards, it shows the level of merit or guilt to which it corresponds? You can over-punish or under-punish, over-reward or under-reward, but if you do so, it has consequences that need to be managed. (Except under-rewarding, at worst you have a lower mood to deal with.)

Read the last several pages of this thread.
Might have to try that difficulty toggle. I realized later that it's easier to get them to classes than it is to train them myself at first, but you miss out on leveling your own skills that way.

Huh. I figured it was a charm issue, but for some reason I just couldn't sell them no matter what outfit I put them on.

Pretty sure it's not a matter of despair. Especially on easy. Good to know about about the indication of how many points each punishment/reward gives out, though. (Although reading back I didn't realize punishment more than once a day could cause despair, either.)

There's definitely a lot to the game but once you get used to how things work it becomes very manageable. It's just a learning curve to get there.

So normal (and especially easy) makes things simple by giving you a large sum of upfront cash to play with which means you can take your time learning. Even if your first few slaves are sold at a loss, it's not the end of the world. What's important is you start to feel more comfortable with the training process first and foremost.

To start with, unless you're using drugs, alchemy, magic, or a slaver with very high starting skills, then nearly any girl you start off with is going to have a fair bit of rebelliousness to her in the beginning. That begins to improve as she develops habit, taming, and awareness which basically means you need to have a little bit of patience in the beginning. You set your rules, try to find things she's willing to do, and punish her for the things she's not. Trying to do too much too soon such as multiple repeated or particularly brutal punishments can create issues with depression and risk mental breaks, suicide attempts, or attempts to kill you in your sleep so again, it's better to do things gradually... At least while you're still learning. Don't expect her to become obedient or willing to do sexual things with you in the first few days.

When it comes to making them presentable, honestly I think you're overthinking it. Buying them certain clothing can help with their mood, or with training specific skills, but for most low level slaves you won't need to do much more than give them a full treatment at the spa which will raise their charm high enough for you to satisfy the requirements for most sales. If you're trying to sell exceptionally high quality slaves in the A or S ranks then finding ways to increase your style and charm become more important.

Which begs the question, what quality slaves are you attempting to train for at this point? And how are you planning to sell them? To a specific buyer? At auction? Guild contracts or subpurchaser? It'll be easier to give you more specific advice when I know what you're trying to accomplish. :D What rules have you been setting for them? What techniques have you been trying that haven't been working out for you?
I tried my hand both at Guild contracts and trying to sell them to businesses and/or random people in the different districts. Contracts are way more straightforward, though you do get a bit of crunch thanks to the time evaluation. Selling slaves to repeat customers (like the real estate office) requires rank C- slaves, which I can train, but it does take a while (and again, I do so at a loss). As for the random peeps, I seem to be having issues mostly with meeting charm requirements.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
Might have to try that difficulty toggle.
Custom easy start defaults to easy obedience difficulty too. You might find it helpful to return to the tutorial. The lectures have a lot of important info, and you can use the info button next to the slave's portrait in the tutorial to see a detailed breakdown of their obedience factors, so you can observe what effects your actions are having on them. The text descriptions after each interaction also can be informative, although some are just for flavor.

Huh. I figured it was a charm issue, but for some reason I just couldn't sell them no matter what outfit I put them on.
Click the ? mark next to the slave's rating and read the end of the help text for a probable reason.

I didn't realize punishment more than once a day could cause despair
More than twice a day.

way2co0l

Oct 3, 2017
I tried my hand both at Guild contracts and trying to sell them to businesses and/or random people in the different districts. Contracts are way more straightforward, though you do get a bit of crunch thanks to the time evaluation. Selling slaves to repeat customers (like the real estate office) requires rank C- slaves, which I can train, but it does take a while (and again, I do so at a loss). As for the random peeps, I seem to be having issues mostly with meeting charm requirements.
I believe the real estate office requires D+ slaves... The C- rank you're seeing when they're stating the requirements is simply to say the girl's secretary skill must be C- or better, not that her actual rank needs to be that high. Does that make sense? It sounds like you may have been misreading that and putting more time and effort in to train them than was strictly required and that may be part of your issue.

When it comes to charm, the simplest way to check is to cast the auspex spell and then go to their anatomy tab. Down near the bottom left of that screen it'll show the word "charm" color coded just like everything else to give you an idea how high it is. Usually going to white town>salon elven laid and choosing the full beauty treatment for 9 sparks will usually be enough to satisfy most requirements. If not, gifting things like the sun dress can also help, or taking them to the steel rose in necropolis to get some piercings can help as well. You don't need a bunch of expensive clothing to suit their proficiencies or anything like that which may be a part of why you're struggling to turn a profit as well.

twerty

Jun 7, 2018
My assistant (Isabella) seems to gain weight crazy fast and it's leading to her having less energy. Is there a way to reduce her calories without switching her to the slave slot when it's free?

way2co0l

Oct 3, 2017
Might have to try that difficulty toggle. I realized later that it's easier to get them to classes than it is to train them myself at first, but you miss out on leveling your own skills that way.
When it comes to classes versus training them yourselves, there are pros and cons to each. As you've noticed it's easier to get them to classes, though that doesn't guarantee they'll do well in said classes. That'll depend heavily on mood and rebelliousness and just them refusing to cooperate, but those early classes are cheap and it often allows you to start giving some early rewards even if their performance is lackluster... By lackluster I still mean better than an F. Punishments are necessary in those cases.

Training them yourself is "usually" preferable but not always. First they're more likely to refuse it unless you've made progress with their training already (though personal preferences may have them willing to do certain things earlier) and it does contribute to your teaching skill as well, but it often requires more energy on your part so you'll be able to do fewer actions if you're personally training in everything. Plus, if your teaching skill is lackluster, while it makes sense to want to improve it, you still may be better off leaving it to the professionals at first.

joeshmo828282

Mar 23, 2022
Imperator, correct me if I am wrong, I feel like 2.2.3 is in a relatively bug free spot right now? Do you want to consider locking it in, and incrementing the dev version to 2.2.4? Then we can update links and such, and (hopefully maybe) that might solve some of the 'new players playing on 2.2.1' problem?

Reactions: way2co0l

twerty

Jun 7, 2018
Default starts seem to be giving much higher starting sparks, intentional or did I fuck something up? Before it was about 4000 less for each

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
Imperator, correct me if I am wrong, I feel like 2.2.3 is in a relatively bug free spot right now? Do you want to consider locking it in, and incrementing the dev version to 2.2.4? Then we can update links and such, and (hopefully maybe) that might solve some of the 'new players playing on 2.2.1' problem?
Incrementing to 2.2.3 wouldn’t solve for players on 2.2.1 (wherever they’re getting it from, isn’t here).

I’ve committed a few fixes and improvements per day for the last few days.

way2co0l

Oct 3, 2017
So something feels off to me with my strength. It made sense to me before when my meals were subpar and stuff like that, but my assistant is making A+ meals which was working well with my A+ strength, which I had only recently built back up to so it was still new... Wasn't like it had been deteriorating for awhile or anything so it shouldn't have been close to any thresholds. I get in a fight in the fogs, get injured, so travel to the medical center to get it healed while at red energy. That should hurt my strength yes, but shouldn't drop it entirely but that's what it appears to have done so now I'm having to build it all the way back up again. I've felt like this has happened to me several times now but I wasn't paying enough attention to feel confident enough to say anything about it.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
So something feels off to me with my strength.
If you are on the border between B+ and A+ then a small loss of strength can drop you to B+. Conversely a small increase can bring you back to A+. Moving to a different district, without the Bull ring, while you have red energy stars, drains strength.

way2co0l

Oct 3, 2017
If you are on the border between B+ and A+ then a small loss of strength can drop you to B+. Conversely a small increase can bring you back to A+. Moving to a different district, without the Bull ring, while you have red energy stars, drains strength.
So you're saying it doesn't work the same way the other attributes do? An example is endurance for my assistant is S+. The moment she hits S+ from A+ she'd then have to lose 80 points to drop back down again. This attribute doesn't work on that same standard?

joeshmo828282

Mar 23, 2022
The relevant line of code is: master_str_rate -= master_wounds*3

So your strength can drop 15 per day if you are badly wounded.
Another strength for every red star...
and another one for not eating a good enough meal.
So 21 strength rate drop is the maximum rate drop? I think?

That said. This should happen at the end of the day right? I do feel like I have had strength drop at the conclusion of a battle, but I could just be misremembering. Have you seen anything like that way2cool?

If your strength is dropping more than that per day, then something might be weird?

4.00 star(s) 58 Votes