Jun 28, 2020
How much has this game changed in recent years? I remember playing it something like nearly 10 years ago, and then a few years ago, and there was very little difference I noticed between versions. Just wondering if people are actively working on it. Thanks
Something that has not been mentioned above is the diet system works in a different way, now it's a full new mechanic meant to control weight, can't remember how it used to work exactly though, there are also new small events on the slums meant to put pressure on you to move out.

alan0511

Dec 4, 2023
Something that has not been mentioned above is the diet system works in a different way, now it's a full new mechanic meant to control weight, can't remember how it used to work exactly though, there are also new small events on the slums meant to put pressure on you to move out.
Reminded me there’s a bug on that event I shall go and fix. If you already lived at another location and canceled renting for whatever reason you default back to slum, if you visit slum the event is inappropriately triggered without considering how long you actually stayed at slum.
1. Fix the event to check days at slum instead of total day count or at least have a buffer
2. QoL change allow moving without contract cancellation

Jun 28, 2020
Potion is too cheesable by only renting the lab for one decade and poop out however many you want then cancel the contract. There is 0 reason why you want to keep the lab around.
I think it was already fixed before, kinda, think now you can't just rent the lab, wait one day before the decade is over, forfeit the lab and walk out without paying for the lab, the cost of running the lab for the days you had it enabled it's still deducted from your "weekly" rent

They stay on shelf forever once made is what I mean. And as you said, their effect is too good for little investment. At that point maybe remove home lab altogether and make it a shop and making it cost you every time you make a pot.
Little investment.... that's not entirely true, yes, you only need 3 drugs that cost $5 and some water/alcohol/mucus, the thing is that you also need a slave that knows alchemy, and to get the highest value out of it you need a slave that is S rank in alchemy + the fiend mucus, that implies a lot of money spent in training of the slave in alchemy (specially in a custom game where you start from zero) and spend money on a property + the extended rental of the lab + the extended rental of the fiend pens to host the fiend to collect the mucus and then collect the mucus. All of that adds up in terms of money and time, it's really kinda expensive.
Expiration date on the potions? don't know if that's really the answer, alchemy is more of a late game mechanic and the potions being kinda broken are a nice pay off for the effort that takes to set everything up, I mean, it's expected to get some good value after completing that chain of events. Don't feel it's really too powerful, if I had to change anything from it it would be to change how lethe works so it can cure mind broken slaves, sounds like something that can actually be used.
And about the incense, I have only seen it in 2 places if I recall correctly, monster girl dreams and fantasy slave trainer and in both of those it never worked alone but it was something to complement hypnosis, so if incense was meant to be added sometime in the future first there should be a talk on hypnosis first.

Too complex in terms of how hard to understand or how hard to implement?
I make a living by coding, complexity is the last thing I would worry about IF there is already clear logic like I've listed. For users, you just need to know she now succs you or should be fed with fiend cum instead of eating regular food. You seem to forget that all the statuses are largely abstracted, for example, the game doesn't *really* tell you doing what gains tame and a random piece of nipple chain happens to rise that every day.
No no, I didn't mean in terms of "can it be achieved or not?" it's more of a "you're putting too much features in one single thing" complexity, specially when you compare it to the other surgeries, one lets your slave to lactate, another one lets her lay eggs, another makes her infertile, those are simple, the succubus surgery you propose is good enough with just the sex->energy/calories conversion

Oh and dear Archbishop Molaru (Taurus House) mentioned succubus in one of the refusal quote, so it is at least a concept recognized by the game's world.
Ah, you noticed it too, actually is not the only instance there is of nonhuman beings there, if you go to the brothel you'll see some demon girls and a furry slave. You could also find an android in the technosphere. Some of the costumers in the game are nonhuman. It's a good lore basis to include nonhuman slaves isn't it?

And all the obnoxiously cheap pub foods, you can say they're already messing up white town grocery store business because no sane person should ever buy any cheese or cream if they can easily maintain strength A+ eating just $3 daily.
That's... true, I think it's a little bit overpowered now that you mention it.

Problem is training for different animal is totally different and you don't train a pony like a dog. By being a slaver you're already domesticating the slave by the standard statuses (tame, habit etc), thus nullifies any possible reason this generic skill should exist.
The tame, habit, devotion, fear, etc. all of those are psychological stats of the slave that determine how much resistance she will put to your will, the higher they are the more willing she will be to do what you want, pet training is a behavioral skill that has to be learnt, no matter how willing you are to obey, if you don't know how a pet acts you can't act as a pet.
Don't really see the need to separate the skill into different types of animal behavior when they can just be grouped into a generic pet skill.

alan0511

Dec 4, 2023
The tame, habit, devotion, fear, etc. all of those are psychological stats of the slave that determine how much resistance she will put to your will, the higher they are the more willing she will be to do what you want, pet training is a behavioral skill that has to be learnt, no matter how willing you are to obey, if you don't know how a pet acts you can't act as a pet.
Don't really see the need to separate the skill into different types of animal behavior when they can just be grouped into a generic pet skill.
People have vastly different expectations between a cat and a dog. A cat do whatever she wants and people tend to spoil cats while dogs are expected to be devoted and emotionally dependent on the owner. There is a reason why there is only police dog but no police cat. And to be very honest training a dog isn’t far from training a slave.

I’m fine if people don’t feel like expanding upon it and keep it generic; I won’t touch it because it’s not my cup of tea = not my priority = not my problem.

Edit: regarding lab, you’re totally missing the point. The point is it’s the only expanded rental people have no reason to keep owning for extended amount of time since it doesn’t generate any value from owning. It’s more like a service you’re stuck with for a decade and you’d better fully utilize it during that decade otherwise you’re just losing money for nothing. Every day with full energy your assistant can make 10 pots and slave another 10, while average daily rent is $10, that only adds $0.5 cost to each potion (we’re not exploiting it to extreme yet since you can use farmhand if you also run a farm); You kinda keep fiend around for free slave food more than anything else and a disgusting food moodlet isn’t the end of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: lokicatooop

alan0511

Dec 4, 2023
New concept in work
  • Doppelgänger: an extremely rare trait (or guaranteed by event), allowing the slave to grow beauty (normally you can only increase this once per slave by plastic surgery).
    • She may shapeshift often and have higher chance of escape than normal slaves unless branded with hot iron or magic.
    • Ordering specific shapeshift is available at devotion 3 allowing you to change her appearance for free.
    • Cheat death is available at devotion 5 allowing you to sacrifice the Doppelgänger instead of game over (fame will reset and you will be forced to do a plastic surgery on yourself which costs 250$ and if you can’t afford that you still die)
  • Siren: a rare trait that is only rolled if character has music affinity.
    • At low deviation, will attempt to charm anyone who teaches her music or make her entertain you with music and subsequently tries to escape
    • If trait not already discovered by escape, confess at devotion 3 and the Theater at Necropolis will start a special event trying to recruit her (drafting)
    • May be able to use a special move in combat that deals mainly purple damage (drafting)

ebemise42069

May 4, 2022
I have a question - Do the residents refresh their desire to purchase new slaves?

For example, I have sold a D+ slave to Don Castillo in the Taurus Residences and he's now grayed out. Speaking to him again he states currently he has no need for new slaves. It has been just over 100 days since I sold him the slave he needed.

Do the buyers refresh and ask to purchase slaves again? Maybe they can rank up their demands and ask for the same specialty of slaves, but a higher rank, giving some sort of RNG while speaking to them?

PDP19

Aug 31, 2022
I have a question - Do the residents refresh their desire to purchase new slaves?

For example, I have sold a D+ slave to Don Castillo in the Taurus Residences and he's now grayed out. Speaking to him again he states currently he has no need for new slaves. It has been just over 100 days since I sold him the slave he needed.

Do the buyers refresh and ask to purchase slaves again? Maybe they can rank up their demands and ask for the same specialty of slaves, but a higher rank, giving some sort of RNG while speaking to them?
Far as Im aware its a one off. Once done, they dont come back.

Reactions: qwertyu12359

testing101hi

Sep 3, 2020
No, the audio backend on Linux running through Wine needs Windows Media Foundation, there are no ifs/ands/buts about that, not going to argue with the API behind me on that. I don't use Lutris, so I'm wondering if your problem is somehow in there. Windows always had the minimal amount of libraries for WMF to work since Vista, so of course it'll have sound (talking about Windows, not Wine). WMF will not affect performance (though the whole Qt4 vs Qt5 that the binaries were compiled on may be the difference, Qt5 definitely *needs* WMF, I can't recall what Qt4 used), the API either works or doesn't, so something else has happened in your setup. SteamDeck does support screenshots in Gamescope. Hold the Steam button long enough for the 'controls' to pop up. Steam+R1.

Edit: The mf-install I used came from (no longer exists), but it's the same as what you have.

I'll probably have some time later today to figure out how to get it running on SteamDeck, yesterday I was far too busy. Will post back.

Edit: The Linux version uploaded to this thread is Qt5 and it expects Qt5 libraries. I don't have my original Linux source to build it for Qt6 native. I'm not sure if the SteamDeck even has all of the libraries needed, some distros only install certain ones. I'll look at the Windows version for now.

Edit: No performance issue seen on my SteamDeck with either version. 18.5% average CPU, GPU usage is nearly non-existent.

Edit: After installing WMF on my SteamDeck, the *Qt* backend spams 'play' but the WMF mf-install is incomplete (need the cab version, I think), so it doesn't like the WAV output and won't play, but Qt keeps expecting it to play. Does result in a elevation of CPU usage but not like what you reported. (I wrote a simple shell script that gets executed as a 'Linux' game for steam and it automatically sets up the mf-install and then runs a version of Proton that should exist on all SteamDecks for the game. That part is working (auto-mf-install, launch game), but the mf-install isn't the cab version. Trying to find the cab version, got a lot going on.

Edit: Now dealing with x86 vs x64 issues.
Edit: Making progress, taking forever to download an archived version of KB976932 to use.
Edit: Roadblock with Proton's stdin/out redirection. Wondering how to get around copyright issues of distributing files manually extracted from cab. (Side note, Jack-o-nine-tails version cannot ever be ported to Qt6 without a ground-up rewrite because of entire API changes to WebKit (gone, WebEngine is the new and it's radically different). So there will never be a native Linux version for Qt6/SteamDeck unless it's rewritten.

Edit: Got it working, but the audio crackling and phasing is entirely impossible. I'm just going to take a peek at how much work it'd be to try to rewrite the UI and bridge using same Qsp lib and Onigurama (static compile, copy over kind of thing).

Edit: If you still want to try running with Qt5, you can remount SteamDeck as read/write and sudo pacman -S ...the various packages (they use different names on Arch-based distros) to get it working natively. You can always restore the SteamDeck using a raw-write, but...this is NOT recommended for newcomers at *ALL*, you might not be capable of restoring it. I'd probably say setup a version of Windows on a thumb drive that's capable of handling the read/write speeds and boot from that, then run Jack-o-nine-tails.

Edit: Eh, this would take too long to rewrite *while keeping compatibility*. Stream Play it (should be easy) or run Windows via a nano/pico drive or something, for now.
I have tried using Bottles container which is basically wine but support some windows driver in the background, Windows Media Foundation was one of them, but the sound still does not work. Not sure if you found anything else to make it work.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I have tried using Bottles container which is basically wine but support some windows driver in the background, Windows Media Foundation was one of them, but the sound still does not work. Not sure if you found anything else to make it work.
The Bottles (and most other scripts) implementation of WMF is half-complete. The other half is a pain in the ass to install because of licensing crap, so it isn't automated by almost anyone out there. For SteamDeck you'll probably want to dual-boot with Windows as I don't recommend disabling SteamDeck's protections against full-blown updates. I would try asking Steam to simply add Qt5 to SteamDeck (maybe don't explain your reason other than "some software/games use Qt5 and need these libs, plz?) and throw in a puppy-dog face. I doubt they will, they're quite particular about what they approve.

testing101hi

Sep 3, 2020
The Bottles (and most other scripts) implementation of WMF is half-complete. The other half is a pain in the ass to install because of licensing crap, so it isn't automated by almost anyone out there. For SteamDeck you'll probably want to dual-boot with Windows as I don't recommend disabling SteamDeck's protections against full-blown updates. I would try asking Steam to simply add Qt5 to SteamDeck (maybe don't explain your reason other than "some software/games use Qt5 and need these libs, plz?) and throw in a puppy-dog face. I doubt they will, they're quite particular about what they approve.
I can live without sound tbh, the game works just the sound. I assume the Linux version you made is no longer being updated? Quite a while ago I can see when you posted it. Not sure if that would work on the Steam Deck anyways

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I can live without sound tbh, the game works just the sound. I assume the Linux version you made is no longer being updated? Quite a while ago I can see when you posted it. Not sure if that would work on the Steam Deck anyways
I already explained this before, I won't again after this: It doesn't need updating. Not to mention it *can't* be. Qt6 does not implement the necessary libraries. It can't be ported, it *needs* a REWRITE. I cannot be any more clear than that. It was wrote in a poor engine (QSP) to begin with. The choice of API limited it to Qt4-Qt5 only. You'd need to redo the entire front-end from scratch. I don't have time to do it at the moment. If SteamDeck had Qt5 installed IT WOULD WORK. Copying the libraries from Qt5 to the application directory won't help. glibc issues. That's the nail in the coffin for using the Qt5 version. Your only options are what I told you to do. Either VM or dual-boot with Windows, figure out the MFC issues for your Bottle blegh, or remove the protections from SteamDeck and install *all* Qt5. TLDR: There is nothing *to* update. It's limited by the API and there is no "just rename to Qt6 dependencies". There *are* WebKit Qt6 libraries. It's now "WebEngine" and it's not a similar-enough API to easily port. On top of that, you'd need black borders because the people that wrote the UI for this game used pixels instead of rem/em. It won't scale well at all, nor will things be in place, it'll fuck the layout to try to use 1280x800 without bars.

Image was taken of an alpha ground-up complete rewrite using Qsp backend with a new UI, but it's note done and it's just sitting in the corner. No interaction with Qsp at the time, was just about to get to that when I got bored of it. Qsp just has so many issues, it's a garbage engine. DPI issues, sound was entirely afterthought, image format issues (gif, webp, mp4, blablabla). It'd be better to just use a different extensible engine like Godot or Unreal or Twine (nearly anything but Qsp). The only reason I ever did the Linux compile (same code as Windows) was because the Windows version wasn't responding well to hiDPI situations and had the audio problems. Rather easy to do but still limited to Qt4-Qt5.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020
People have vastly different expectations between a cat and a dog. A cat do whatever she wants and people tend to spoil cats while dogs are expected to be devoted and emotionally dependent on the owner. There is a reason why there is only police dog but no police cat. And to be very honest training a dog isn’t far from training a slave.

I’m fine if people don’t feel like expanding upon it and keep it generic; I won’t touch it because it’s not my cup of tea = not my priority = not my problem.
Let's say pet skill gets divided in dog and cat skill... then what? change all client missions to ask for dog or cat or both skills? change the training messages to fit both from F to S? change the pet affinity trait and divide them in 2? change how the clothes buff both skills? that's adding complexity to gain what exactly? realism? Idk, don't feel like the generic skill is taking realism away from it, and yeah dogs and cats are expected to behave differently but here you're not training a dog nor a cat, you're training a person, and as a slaver by your balls she will be learn to act as both at the same time wether it makes sense for her or not.

Edit: regarding lab, you’re totally missing the point. The point is it’s the only expanded rental people have no reason to keep owning for extended amount of time since it doesn’t generate any value from owning. It’s more like a service you’re stuck with for a decade and you’d better fully utilize it during that decade otherwise you’re just losing money for nothing. Every day with full energy your assistant can make 10 pots and slave another 10, while average daily rent is $10, that only adds $0.5 cost to each potion (we’re not exploiting it to extreme yet since you can use farmhand if you also run a farm); You kinda keep fiend around for free slave food more than anything else and a disgusting food moodlet isn’t the end of the world.
It is kinda broken yes but how else would you make it a more fair and worth to keep around? it also has to make sense within the lore of the game, take in mind that it is a late game mechanic too so there has to be a good payoff out of it or there may not be a good reason to use it in the first place, what I mean is that in theory something could sound useful but in practice it won't be used as much like the lethe potion example I posted some days ago, if your slave is going to get mindbroken anyways, why waste a potion (that could be pilthre or aphrodisiac instead) and time (to get to the same point in terms of obedience) to reset her when you could just get rid of her and get another slave that is easier to train?
If your intent is to replace a core mechanic, you have to be extremely sure your solution is better for all the changes that replacement implies down the road.

alan0511

Dec 4, 2023
It is kinda broken yes but how else would you make it a more fair and worth to keep around? it also has to make sense within the lore of the game, take in mind that it is a late game mechanic too so there has to be a good payoff out of it or there may not be a good reason to use it in the first place, what I mean is that in theory something could sound useful but in practice it won't be used as much like the lethe potion example I posted some days ago, if your slave is going to get mindbroken anyways, why waste a potion (that could be pilthre or aphrodisiac instead) and time (to get to the same point in terms of obedience) to reset her when you could just get rid of her and get another slave that is easier to train?
If your intent is to replace a core mechanic, you have to be extremely sure your solution is better for all the changes that replacement implies down the road.
No hard feelings but I doubt lab is anything "core" since its code is significantly inferior (in terms of complexity and completeness) to any other mechanism. Most likely a side mod added back in HF era and just stuck while nobody really bothered looking into it. I also don't see any connection between lab replacement and roadmap, just shows how out of place it is at current state.

Puddingz

Feb 22, 2018
Man The new price and money "Rebalance" make early game miserable, Imagine I can get full roast for 1 spark at virgin hip (which have quite high food value aka make you not weak). meanwhile the gastronomical sold me mince meat for about 1.4 spark a piece, okay fair enough, however, the price for vegetable is downright ridiculous, the game show that it is 10 spark for 5 but actually cost you 15 spark!, so single vegetable is about 3 spark each, Ridiculous I say.

Charette

May 5, 2020
Sorry, but all I could do was play it for a few days because my character always dies because he has no energy left.
I eat every day , cooking self , go out eating but its only declining

StJesuz

Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Sorry, but all I could do was play it for a few days because my character always dies because he has no energy left.
The game is hard to get started with. Make sure your slaver isn't going into negative energy. Also some starting characters have poor health, which adds difficulty. I recommend using easy difficulty and a powerful character for your first few runs, like Milord.

Check out the beginner's guide linked in the OP, give a good step by step to help you get started in Eternal Rome.

Man The new price and money "Rebalance" make early game miserable, Imagine I can get full roast for 1 spark at virgin hip (which have quite high food value aka make you not weak). meanwhile the gastronomical sold me mince meat for about 1.4 spark a piece, okay fair enough, however, the price for vegetable is downright ridiculous, the game show that it is 10 spark for 5 but actually cost you 15 spark!, so single vegetable is about 3 spark each, Ridiculous I say.
I agree that the food at the hip is underpriced. I think it would be reasonable to increase its cost. If purchasing vegetables at the gastronomicon really costs 15 instead of 10, that's a bug. I haven't yet had time to test it myself. Hoping to play with the latest dev branch in the coming weeks.

joeshmo828282

Mar 23, 2022
You are not going into red energy, yes? (remember, if he has to auto complete some things at the end of the day, he can go into red energy without you seeing it) Also, hopefully you are not going too hard on the drugs? certain drugs and potions can really sap energy.

alan0511

Dec 4, 2023
I agree that the food at the hip is underpriced. I think it would be reasonable to increase its cost. If purchasing vegetables at the gastronomicon really costs 15 instead of 10, that's a bug. I haven't yet had time to test it myself. Hoping to play with the latest dev branch in the coming weeks.
It is a bug. In fact, most food ingredients are sold at above listed price.
Milk and Cream are 40, but cheese only costs 25.

I've been making mod to the game including multiple known bug fixes since like uh 50 posts ago, I use with the latest compiled QSP.
Related new images can be found if you care.

Last edited:

Charette

May 5, 2020
You are not going into red energy, yes? (remember, if he has to auto complete some things at the end of the day, he can go into red energy without you seeing it) Also, hopefully you are not going too hard on the drugs? certain drugs and potions can really sap energy.
Yes in the red ... but then maybe i must need to minimize the daily doing, and no , no drugs , not good enough Alchemy ... i didn´t get 1 single Potion done.

Jun 28, 2020
Yes in the red ... but then maybe i must need to minimize the daily doing, and no , no drugs , not good enough Alchemy ... i didn´t get 1 single Potion done.
Is totally possible to start a hardcore run with the minimum amount of sparks and with zero skill points, that means all in F including stamina which is not set at that level in custom run by default and also rejecting Isabella, it is doable. Winners don't use drugs but when you're on the slums you're not a winner, don't be afraid to use them, cofee for when you fall into the red by accident, cocaine for when you need a big push (like trying to complete the slave training when you're too close to the deadline) or recovery (coliseum) weed and crack for when you think you'll need a mood boost for both slave and slaver, it's better to use sex as a mood buff for the slaver but early game specially in an absolute zero stats run you won't get access to free sex from the guild (which is kinda broken) + it doesn't consume energy like sex does and is affordable, they are not meant to be used every single day though, try to plan accordingly or you'll get punished for that.
Aside from drugs and potions, massages also recover energy once per day.
Pay very close attention to the slave's stats before taking her with you, stats determine what tasks she is more willing to do, try to guess by intuition what those would be, if you're a poor mf you shouldn't take proud bitches with you, you want the ones that are easier to train, the cheaper ones, the ones with low stats, the younger ones, the ones that don't know how to fight back.
Uniforms are crucial for training, always be sure to dress your slave properly for the task, some clothes have effects immediately, others work while training, and others work on a day to day basis, try to guess which one does what on your own and find out.
Early game ABUSE the school system.
Try to find what the slave likes, it gives you a huge advantage.
And finally remember that the sub purchaser and the money lender exist, there is a huge chance they will save your life with your first couple of slaves.

Reactions: StJesuz
4.00 star(s) 58 Votes