4.10 star(s) 186 Votes

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
If you’re getting the game for free, you’re not really in a position to bitch and moan about deadlines.
On the other hand, if you’re paying, you have a right to be upset about lapsed deadlines.
That’s simply my opinion. No matter the timeline, this is really a great game. Less hate more love.
Then what's the point of an internet forum if we aren't supposed to discuss things? Are we only supposed to heap praise? Surely you can see the problems with this update's development.

Just so everyone that thinks it's wrong to be critical is clear: this game is likely to never be completed. Either the game will literally be abandoned, or it will drag on so long that you'll never see it completed. Do you really think you'll still be playing this game in three years? Five years? I'd like to see this game completed because it's really good and deserves an ending. I'm critical because I see the tell tale signs that the game won't be finished. Maybe my criticism won't change anything, but it seems a heck of a lot better to say something rather than nothing.

I'd really like to see a study about people who become patrons. I had a little experience with this as a creator, but I see it now from the member side: I think a huge portion of patrons never engage with the content they support. They don't comment, they don't leave likes, and they may not even play/download/view the thing they're paying for. This isn't exclusive to Stoper, it's just something I'm fascinated by. We only see a tiny fraction of patrons engage either on Patreon or on discords. This means that the vast majority are silent, and we take their silence as tacit agreement to whatever the creator is doing. But I wonder if something like 40-70% of patrons simply give money and forget about their membership entirely. Because you would think you'd see numbers fluctuate more, and in the case of JOHN, they'd react to long development cycles.

Is the whole backbone of the Patreon economy dependent on people forgetting they're giving their money away?

Jan 3, 2019
If you’re getting the game for free, you’re not really in a position to bitch and moan about deadlines.
On the other hand, if you’re paying, you have a right to be upset about lapsed deadlines.
That’s simply my opinion. No matter the timeline, this is really a great game. Less hate more love.
You are on a pirate site, and if you forgot, then it is such sites that make these games popular and many decide to pay for a particular project. And your statement is absurd.

TheUberstuff

Jul 28, 2020
Some of this might apply to many games and updates, but I feel like you left out on what's happened during this development cycle of JOHN, only quoting some of the usual comments from users, ignoring what Stoper's said and done over the past 6 months. Maybe because you haven't followed the thread or his Patreon lately? That I don't know.

Anyway, here's how I (and many others I guess) see this development cycle and it's issues:

Starting 6+ months ago, Stoper's first statement implying a faster update when he told us that this time, there would be no side-project he has to work on, allowing him to entirely focus on JOHN's next update. Anyway, then came Stopers first comments on Patreon, answering people's questions on the length of the development cycle, to which Stoper replied: "2-3 months seems reasonable". Still, there's no promises being made and nobody would say a word if it took him a little longer. In the following 2-3 months, nobody was bothered and everything appeared to be business as usual. There were the usual development blogs where he was talking about the progress and his work aswell as a couple bonus renders. Nothing special or anything hinting at the shitshow that was yet to come.

Then, at one point he started publishing bonus sets, and some people began questioning the reason behind that, as they had nothing to do with JOHN and, like I said above, Stoper mentioned how he'd focus on JOHN's development without any side-projects in the way. So, some people were upset, but still nothing anyone would lose their shit about, right? After that, to many, the breakpoint came in hot with Stoper's post about being uninspired and unproductive. This is when things got weird, because to many it meant that his previous development blogs contained nothing but empty words. What happened to all the work he had apparently done? What happened to everything that had been said in those previous development blogs? How has there not been a single word about him being unproductive? Why would he tell people about a reasonable timeframe for a release being within 2-3 months prior to that post?

The first delay was announced. From a planned November release to December. That was also when we had been informed that this update would only consist of 1 major event, not even close to an entire day or more, as in previous updates. People started questioning even more what he was doing during all these months, and why all the previous development blogs were hinting at him working on the game, when there was essentially nothing. More comments and replies from Stoper made it into this forum, saying he'd release "this month" (December), and how there was only a final scene he had to finish. But no, all of a sudden came a Stoper post stating how this scene was giving him a hard time, and that it would consist of 3 branches, requiring more time to be finished. People still expected a December release, until a few weeks later, around Christmas, we got another post from Stoper saying that he won't be able to make it in December either. People already started losing their shit because of all the contradicting excuses, delays, development blogs. Nothing really made sense at this point.

Anyway, new years came and people thought we'd get an early January release, at last. Right? Nope. Another post from Stoper saying how he's cancelled his previous work on the final branch of this scene and another delay towards the end of January. He's also said that he'd re-do this last branch and go with it, satisfied or not, just so he can release and his supporters finally get what they were waiting for after all this time, several delays and excuses later.

But hey, when you think it couldn't get any worse, a Stoper comes around the corner and suddenly announces that not only will the upcoming release consist of only a single event, but he's also cancelled out 30% of it because for whatever reason he still can't finish this one route he's been working on for what, 2 months almost? So now we're looking at an update which probably doesn't even have 20% of the content compared to previous ones. And that took him well over 6 months. What had all the previous development blogs been about? What had all the previous statements been about?

There was a time when Stoper was able to release more content in much less time, and that includes more updates, not just the one we're currently waiting for. A time before he's had 700+ patrons, much less money and still was able to deliver more content in a shorter period of time.

So no, I don't think you can come up with this lazy analysis, saying it's the same every single time. Because it's only getting worse, just like with so many developers out there. It's not just us forum users bitching (which we do, no doubt), pirates and supporters alike alot of the time have good reasons for it these days.

Just my 2-cents. Cheers
Very well said, couldn't agree more with all of it.

nunzio2016

May 12, 2020
You are on a pirate site, and if you forgot, then it is such sites that make these games popular and many decide to pay for a particular project. And your statement is absurd.
I certainly appreciate your perspective/opinion on this. I agree that pirate sites certainly direct traffic towards patron sites, which is of course great for the developer.
Didn’t really think my statement was absurd though haha
Aren’t we all friends here, just trying to get some more sexy Jessica?

pmano

May 10, 2020
Any chance next update to be out before end of 2022 and this game to be completed before end of 2050? LOL! Stopped playing long back and I am surprised ppl still checking on this Oscar winning longest wait game!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

digbickarmy

Nov 28, 2018
Too lazy to go thru the comments, did he give an estimated date for the release. BTW this is one of the best games out here so I get why people are so impatient, But for fuck sake its free and its quality work so hold on to your cocks and unless you are contributing you have no right to bitch and moan, but having said that,,,,,, WHEN THE FUCK IS THIS UPDATE COMING??? :)

Reactions: keisezr

DanThaMan

Engaged Member
Jun 25, 2017
Too lazy to go thru the comments, did he give an estimated date for the release. BTW this is one of the best games out here so I get why people are so impatient, But for fuck sake its free and its quality work so hold on to your cocks and unless you are contributing you have no right to bitch and moan, but having said that,,,,,, WHEN THE FUCK IS THIS UPDATE COMING??? :)
Stoper said end of January but he has never been truthful with release dates.

lockerxx

Conversation Conqueror
May 10, 2017
any clue who is getting content?i know blake is finally getting some jessica love :love:.

4.10 star(s) 186 Votes