4.10 star(s) 186 Votes

Bishop Robert

Feb 14, 2018
Im a recent member of the site, but isn't all this complaining about slow updates a bit idiotic?

Someone correct me if Im wrong but:

- Because of various reasons, most games on this site cannot be properly commercialized and many devs depend on patronage to continue developing
- Which means, if you don't support devs, complaining about slow updates is not exactly showcasing your intelligence
- and if you DO support devs, you should vote with your feet? Like, if Rembrandt was commissioned for a painting and the canvas would stay the same for months, I doubt he would have any future patrons.
"Give the dev money and you can complain" does not work.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Im a recent member of the site, but isn't all this complaining about slow updates a bit idiotic?

Someone correct me if Im wrong but:

- Because of various reasons, most games on this site cannot be properly commercialized and many devs depend on patronage to continue developing
- Which means, if you don't support devs, complaining about slow updates is not exactly showcasing your intelligence
- and if you DO support devs, you should vote with your feet? Like, if Rembrandt was commissioned for a painting and the canvas would stay the same for months, I doubt he would have any future patrons.
I normaly avoid dog-piling circlejerks but this take is indeed idiotic:
Which means, if you don't support devs, complaining about slow updates is not exactly showcasing your intelligence
You don't need to support anything to be able to criticize it. You can pirate a game and criticize how good or bad it was.

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
I normaly avoid dog-piling circlejerks but this take is indeed idiotic:
So do I and I agree with most of what was said, but his point is not entirely invalid, even if questionable in this case.
For smaller creators it's a big difference if they can work on their product full time or just in the evenings after their main job/in their free time and it speeds up development considerably. Same with better rendering equipment, hiring additional help, offloading tasks etc.
All of these things need money and can't happen if there is none. I'm not saying that devs that just take any excess funds and put them in their own pocket don't exist because they do, but it's still a valid point.
I haven't played this game in months and it looks like it's stuck in development hell at this point so I'm not saying any of this is applicable here, just don't discount his opinion entirely.

Reactions: Gunizz

palmtrees89

Jul 3, 2021
This is becoming quite comical at this point. Almost like you're watching your favourite Episode of whatever TV show for the 10th time, listening to the same old dialogue. Stoper would make for a great customer-support worker. They mostly use pre-generated answers to "satisfy" their customers aswell.

- stoper 3 months ago: "I'm working on this one last scene and I'm making good progress."

- stoper 2 months ago: "I'm working on this one last scene, deciding if I should add another branch probably nobody wants to see anyway."

- stoper 1 month ago: "I'm working on this one last scene, and it's becoming quite big. Oopsie!"

- stoper yesterday: "I'm working on this one last scene. Great pace, folks! It's becoming quite big!"

- stoper in 1 month from now: "This one last scene I was working on became quite big, so it took a little longer as it was quite tricky. I'll let you know once it's finished!"

*Update releases with 2 tiny scenes, called beta release*, everybody be like; "What the fuck?!"

And the cycle continues.

Last edited:

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
So do I and I agree with most of what was said, but his point is not entirely invalid, even if questionable in this case.
For smaller creators it's a big difference if they can work on their product full time or just in the evenings after their main job/in their free time and it speeds up development considerably. Same with better rendering equipment, hiring additional help, offloading tasks etc.
All of these things need money and can't happen if there is none. I'm not saying that devs that just take any excess funds and put them in their own pocket don't exist because they do, but it's still a valid point.
I haven't played this game in months and it looks like it's stuck in development hell at this point so I'm not saying any of this is applicable here, just don't discount his opinion entirely.
Indeed devs need money to be motivated, most devs don't make games because the fun of it, they want money. I didn't criticize that, I highlighted the idiotic part :
Which means, if you don't support devs, complaining about slow updates is not exactly showcasing your intelligence
Now let's talk about Stoper business a bit.
He's been making JOHN since 2018 and he's getting a monthly income of 2.500$ + or - . He makes works on the side too = $$$. He updates the game in the >6 months time frame like Badik, Artemis and others. But John updates are short in comparison. When a dev takes more than 6 months to make an update we're talking about 3.000-4.000 renders which is never the case here.
Now, Why Stoper doesn't build another render station to speed things up? After more than 3 years making John he should has the money for it. So maybe he's happy working in John at this pace while he gets his monthly 2.500$ check, and that's fine, but people will call him milker for it.

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Indeed devs need money to be motivated, most devs don't make games because the fun of it, they want money. I didn't criticize that, I highlighted the idiotic part :

Now let's talk about Stoper business a bit.
He's been making JOHN since 2018 and he's getting a monthly income of 2.500$ + or - . He makes works on the side too = $$$. He updates the game in the >6 months time frame like Badik, Artemis and others. But John updates are short in comparison. When a dev takes more than 6 months to make an update we're talking about 3.000-4.000 renders which is never the case here.
Now, Why Stoper doesn't build another render station to speed things up? After more than 3 years making John he should has the money for it. So maybe he's happy working in John at this pace while he gets his monthly 2.500$ check, and that's fine, but people will call him milker for it.
Well that is a dumb statement and I never said otherwise.
As said, I have no horse in this race. I don't even play JOHN at this point in time. I just have problems when people try to quantify the validity of creative tasks by using numbers.
The only thing that should count is your own feeling about the product you get for the development time that it takes.
And if you feel that it's reasonable then well, great. Good for you.
If you feel like it isn't then pull out and move on because no amount of shouting will make a dev work faster or harder. Circlejerking about what a milking butthole a dev is doesn't do anything while you're still salivating on your keyboard for an update.
The only thing that creates pressure is people removing their monetary support. And as far as that goes, your voice on a pirate forum hands you a very short stick for leverage.

slightchance

Mar 25, 2018
Sometimes I wish mods would simply close the bigger threads like this one when there's no real discussion to be had. This game is living rent free in our minds while stoper blows through one release date after another. In the last 38 pages alone the discussion revolved mainly about the release cycle - how's that interesting? It would be nice if Stoper had to deliver something before everyone is buzzing around his game again.

Reactions: WuzzyFuzzy

Ass Fan

Conversation Conqueror
TwitFollower
Jun 27, 2020
Criticizing is easy. Make a Game with this high Quality faster - then you all can talk...
:rolleyes: The question is not that Dev has to keep his word as stoper had said he would release in August and then in September "dead or alive" But as we already know that's not what happened but that's okay, because all developers have their lives staff to give him in addition to the difficulty that the game can give him/her the only thing I don't like and some Devs give us a specific date of the game and not stick to it this is a serious mistake in my humble opinion.

Tennoujirex

Dec 26, 2021
Sometimes I wish mods would simply close the bigger threads like this one when there's no real discussion to be had. This game is living rent free in our minds while stoper blows through one release date after another. In the last 38 pages alone the discussion revolved mainly about the release cycle - how's that interesting? It would be nice if Stoper had to deliver something before everyone is buzzing around his game again.
When exactly has discussion around this game ever been interesting? Theres nothing to speculate about, there are no previews to indicate anything or speculate about anything, there are no past events set up that would happen the coming update, so do tell what your gonna discuss about? The same 2 things we know are coming next update?

slightchance

Mar 25, 2018
When exactly has discussion around this game ever been interesting? Theres nothing to speculate about, there are no previews to indicate anything or speculate about anything, there are no past events set up that would happen the coming update, so do tell what your gonna discuss about? The same 2 things we know are coming next update?
So you're agreeing that this thread should be closed?

Tennoujirex

Dec 26, 2021
So you're agreeing that this thread should be closed?
And why should it be closed exactly? This thread isn't just for discussing about the content of the game or just blindly praising it, criticizing or hating it. This thread exists to talk about anything that's related to this game, delays are a part of it, so no nothings off topic. Everything has been on point and whatever isn't gets booted by the mods.

4.10 star(s) 186 Votes