Spellunker

Dec 18, 2018
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone else have this problem?
I unlocked Specilisations, chose Strength and Endurance.
I fight Unarmed using Prison Fighter Title and use only Blunt Attacks btw.
So I got the Edict to allow me to use Head Strike while Unarmed...

But in combat I have the basic three kicks and Leg Sweep instead of Head Strike.
Did the coding for the Strength Specilisation Edict get mixed up with the Agility one somewhere in the code?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Neriel

Jan 19, 2018
Interesting. That looks like it sorta works... but the -Control build-up doesn't look like it'd be very manageable. -13 Is pretty big, and if you stayed until Day 15 as you originally said, it'd have been -14 or -15. Sure, there's more Control Edicts that you can use... but having a constant Control at approximately -10 doesn't look very sustainable after you Subjugate level 2, because if both Riot at once at any point, your control can easily hit -25, on top of the Order Loss created by Riot...

That's on top of the fact that with that much loss every day, I believe you have to fight until dangerous levels of Fatigue to barely break even, correct? Can't have much room for the Bar Mini-game, which is currently the better way to make money compared to some other Edicts...

That 13 Corruption will hurt with the Nerds Blackmail though, and it will hurt even worse if you need more of it....

On a different note, I went and checked some of the Anarchy limits in the Prison.js, and it looks like this:

const PRISON_ANARCHY_GRACE_PERIOD_EASY = 60;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_GRACE_PERIOD_NORMAL = 14;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_GRACE_PERIOD_HARD = 7;

const PRISON_ANARCHY_GRACE_LEVEL_ONE_MULTIPLER = 1;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_GRACE_LEVEL_TWO_MULTIPLER = 3;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_GRACE_LEVEL_THREE_MULTIPLER = 4;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_GRACE_LEVEL_FOUR_MULTIPLER = 3;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_GRACE_LEVEL_FIVE_MULTIPLER = 1.5;

const PRISON_ANARCHY_DEC_EASY_DIVIDER = 3;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_DEC_LEVEL_ONE_DIVIDER = 1;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_DEC_LEVEL_TWO_DIVIDER = 2.4;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_DEC_LEVEL_THREE_DIVIDER = 3;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_DEC_LEVEL_FOUR_DIVIDER = 3.5;
const PRISON_ANARCHY_DEC_LEVEL_FIVE_DIVIDER = 3;

Now, the first bit is obvious enough. Base Grace Period for each difficulty. Looks like Secretary was put on 60 days, Warden on 14, Prisoner on 7. So aside from what looks like a doubled period for Easy, no changes to the values since they were introduced.

The multiplier bit is more interesting. It means that the base value is multiplied depending on the level. So for Prisoner Level 2, you have 21 days before Anarchy starts becoming a problem, and in theory, that should start ticking from the moment Level 2 becomes open. This is likely why you didn't start seeing level 2 issues before.

Also, it looks like ALL the levels will have it... which sucks major balls... but we were all kind of expecting it at this point...

The Divider bit though... I'm not 100% sure on... I think it's the number of days for each hit to Control. So on lvl 1, you get hit every day... so on and so forth. I'm not sure if the Easy Divider gets added to, or multiplies the individual floor values. Either way, it honestly looks like you'd have to try REALLY hard to fuck-up on easy... You're more likely to Edict yourself into a corner than anything else...

On the other hand, this could also display the actual hit to Control... but that wouldn't make any sense because it'd mean Easy sucks the worst right now...

Edit:
So, scouring around Discord, it seems that the Divider thing controls how quickly the penalty increases based on the number of days that have passed. It's also multiplied by the Easy value, so really, getting screwed over by the penalty on Secretary Mode is nigh impossible.

Additionally, from what I've see, the Penalty does NOT go away no matter what. So if you start incurring it, you have to live with it and have to deal with reduced Control PERMANENTLY.

All I can say is that this pretty much means that Yuki is right. You ARE forced to rush, at the very least, on Level 1, because if you don't, that increased penalty to Control can be disastrous on later levels. Even if you CAN manage it, you then still suffer the problem that too low Control means that you're spending all of your day just trying to break even on Order, making side-jobs impossible... and considering that there will be 4 of them in total, that sounds like an excellent way to stop having fun.

Just think about it. Levels 1 and 2 Rioting at the same time is horrible enough... What happens when 3 is added to the mix? Or 4? Dunno if we'll be able to continue playing after 5 is taken care of... but either way, you have little choice but to toe the line.
Based on pictures, I cannot confirm that the penalty stays. If it would, then I would have higher then -13 Control entering Level 2, since it is nothing new, entering a new Floor, that you have much less Control compared to the room before but hey I can dobule check it with a quick run, that I finish sooner.Also sure I will make the same now for Level 2 and contuine it to show that is not that hard to do. Also I have a rule to NEVER fight above 25% Fatique, so no, I don't take risks at all. Bar Mini Game is part of the Strategy, this is why I am going for high Charm, since later, I will make up to 5k Gold a Shift. Nerd Blackmail is nothing at that point compared to that money.

Yukihirou

Feb 4, 2018
Based on pictures, I cannot confirm that the penalty stays. If it would, then I would have higher then -13 Control entering Level 2, since it is nothing new, entering a new Floor, that you have much less Control compared to the room before but hey I can dobule check it with a quick run, that I finish sooner.Also sure I will make the same now for Level 2 and contuine it to show that is not that hard to do. Also I have a rule to NEVER fight above 25% Fatique, so no, I don't take risks at all. Bar Mini Game is part of the Strategy, this is why I am going for high Charm, since later, I will make up to 5k Gold a Shift. Nerd Blackmail is nothing at that point compared to that money.
Yuck, I did account for that 5k gold + free mind training / 15 fatigue but ehh, It seems I won't be able to get first prize gifts down the line so yeah, you cant get everything.

Iexist

Jul 20, 2018
I'm not certain either, but right now, no one knows if it's actually working as it's intended too or not. This isn't made any easier by the fact that the "Control" value we get displayed in game is generated by a lot of functions in the code that take into account a lot of variables. On top of that, in the code, the only thing that is tracked as "Control" is the final value that gets displayed to the player. Everything else is "Order Per day" type stuff, which makes it a lot harder to parse what's going where... especially for someone like me, who's many things, but not a programmer.

It doesn't LOOK like there's a function to remove the penalty when it's added. But that might be baked in the same part of the code that clears up the Control penalty from Riots once they're resolved, and it's not obvious due to me being too dumb to see it. Or maybe into the part that handles the set-up at each start of day that calculates Income, Expenses, Subsidies, Riot chance etc... o_O

Obviously, if the penalty gets removed when a level is subjugated, then that changes the equation significantly for a lot of reasons.

The Divider bit also takes into account certain Edicts, so it's actually possible to influence the Decay rate with Guard training Edicts, and I think the Improve Prison locks edict. On the other hand, suffering defeats seems to make it worse... but I'm REALLY not sure about that one...

Oh well... I'm still far from a fan of the measure, and odds are that when the final game comes out, I will modify the file so that it's not possible to trip the thing on any level of difficulty. Because fuck that noise. :D

Neriel

Jan 19, 2018
I'm not certain either, but right now, no one knows if it's actually working as it's intended too or not. This isn't made any easier by the fact that the "Control" value we get displayed in game is generated by a lot of functions in the code that take into account a lot of variables. On top of that, in the code, the only thing that is tracked as "Control" is the final value that gets displayed to the player. Everything else is "Order Per day" type stuff, which makes it a lot harder to parse what's going where... especially for someone like me, who's many things, but not a programmer.

It doesn't LOOK like there's a function to remove the penalty when it's added. But that might be baked in the same part of the code that clears up the Control penalty from Riots once they're resolved, and it's not obvious due to me being too dumb to see it. Or maybe into the part that handles the set-up at each start of day that calculates Income, Expenses, Subsidies, Riot chance etc... o_O

Obviously, if the penalty gets removed when a level is subjugated, then that changes the equation significantly for a lot of reasons.

The Divider bit also takes into account certain Edicts, so it's actually possible to influence the Decay rate with Guard training Edicts, and I think the Improve Prison locks edict. On the other hand, suffering defeats seems to make it worse... but I'm REALLY not sure about that one...

Oh well... I'm still far from a fan of the measure, and odds are that when the final game comes out, I will modify the file so that it's not possible to trip the thing on any level of difficulty. Because fuck that noise. :D
Penalty does not stay. As you can see, on the Boss Rush Version, I have -15. In the normal one -13. The difference comes from not having the kitchen.

Iexist

Jul 20, 2018
Penalty does not stay. As you can see, on the Boss Rush Version, I have -15. In the normal one -13. The difference comes from not having the kitchen.
Let's hope that's intended and Rem doesn't change their mind... Still don't like it, but it definitely looks a lot more manageable now than it did before, and definitely makes Warden Mode feel like it's balanced-ish...

Though I'd probably raise the limit there with a few more days, if only so players don't actually feel pressured. The time limit still seems a bit too short for me on both Warden and Prisoner, even IF very specific combinations work. The fact of the matter is that to get what you're getting, you still need to be pretty specific in title and Edict Choice...

Neriel

Jan 19, 2018
Let's hope that's intended and Rem doesn't change their mind... Still don't like it, but it definitely looks a lot more manageable now than it did before, and definitely makes Warden Mode feel like it's balanced-ish...

Though I'd probably raise the limit there with a few more days, if only so players don't actually feel pressured. The time limit still seems a bit too short for me on both Warden and Prisoner, even IF very specific combinations work. The fact of the matter is that to get what you're getting, you still need to be pretty specific in title and Edict Choice...
When it comes to Warden Mode, sure. If it is too short there, they should change it, since it is the Standard Difficulty in which players still learn the game and you should not put too much pressure on them. But when it comes to Prisoner Mode, that Difficulty is there to challenge you and me personally, as long as Prisoner Mode is beatable with fighter and slut builds, I am fine with it. And as of right now that is the case. Now this doesn't mean that I think the Balance is perfect. I would like to see certain stuff nerfed/buffed but still long way till the finished product so we will see.

Reactions: Random Bob

Shinobikun

Oct 5, 2017
Regarding not wanting to play New Game+ for prisoner mode, I can understand when you guys say you don't feel like doing so now, after having played the game a LOT throughout its developement, but when you look from the perspective of someone who starts playing only once the game is complete, it sorta makes sense.

The game will have multiple endings depending on how slutty Karryn becomes. If you're a newb, your first playthrough will most likely end up to be a very slutty run, simply because you don't fully understand the mechanics yet, and scenes are super hot. Then you after getting the ending you're allowed to restart, but with a few titles (which makes the game easier). At that point your goal will be to do a pure run, which is much more difficult. If you fail, you will yet again hopefully get some new titles (and experience) to make the next try easier. You can do this until you finally manage a true pure run, at which point you 'complete' the game. All that in the same Save File.

Then, if you're still hungry for more, you can try the same thing in prisoner mode. Again, the game doesn't expect you to manage a 'pure' playthrough right away, maybe you won't even make it to the end the first time, but either way you can gather titles that make future playthroughs easier until you finally manage it.

This at least seems to be the vision that developer has in my view and in theory it sounds pretty promising.

One problem I personally have for this is that the game is too grindy (read, time consuming) for this to properly work. When one playthrough can take like 10-15 hours, expecting multiple play-throughs is a bit too much. I really feel like the main game needs to be shortened a little bit. The most immediate concern being the minigames. Simple offer more order/money, for less minutes and don't even offer 30+ minute shifts in the first place, then make desires/drunkeness rise equally more to make up for the lost time and voila, the time it take to complete a minigame is halfed. Another thing to do would be for Karryn to get more fatigued from fights, but let fights offer more control. Again, a small change that should make the game feel way less 'grindy' without having to touch the actual battle system.

Honestly, if the game ends up too grindy I might just make a mod myself that changes these values to be more manageable.

Neriel

Jan 19, 2018
Regarding not wanting to play New Game+ for prisoner mode, I can understand when you guys say you don't feel like doing so now, after having played the game a LOT throughout its developement, but when you look from the perspective of someone who starts playing only once the game is complete, it sorta makes sense.

The game will have multiple endings depending on how slutty Karryn becomes. If you're a newb, your first playthrough will most likely end up to be a very slutty run, simply because you don't fully understand the mechanics yet, and scenes are super hot. Then you after getting the ending you're allowed to restart, but with a few titles (which makes the game easier). At that point your goal will be to do a pure run, which is much more difficult. If you fail, you will yet again hopefully get some new titles (and experience) to make the next try easier. You can do this until you finally manage a true pure run, at which point you 'complete' the game. All that in the same Save File.

Then, if you're still hungry for more, you can try the same thing in prisoner mode. Again, the game doesn't expect you to manage a 'pure' playthrough right away, maybe you won't even make it to the end the first time, but either way you can gather titles that make future playthroughs easier until you finally manage it.

This at least seems to be the vision that developer has in my view and in theory it sounds pretty promising.

One problem I personally have for this is that the game is too grindy (read, time consuming) for this to properly work. When one playthrough can take like 10-15 hours, expecting multiple play-throughs is a bit too much. I really feel like the main game needs to be shortened a little bit. The most immediate concern being the minigames. Simple offer more order/money, for less minutes and don't even offer 30+ minute shifts in the first place, then make desires/drunkeness rise equally more to make up for the lost time and voila, the time it take to complete a minigame is halfed. Another thing to do would be for Karryn to get more fatigued from fights, but let fights offer more control. Again, a small change that should make the game feel way less 'grindy' without having to touch the actual battle system.

Honestly, if the game ends up too grindy I might just make a mod myself that changes these values to be more manageable.
I would not call the game grindy at all. The only thing in the game that is grindy is the Waitress Job, since a 45 minutes Shift actually takes 45 minutes but the amount of money you can make there, makes it a must to do in Prisoner Mode. Rest of the game feels fine to me. Without the Waitress Job a current run would take me 3-4 hours to complete.

Reactions: Random Bob

Spillo89

Jul 8, 2020

Here the full post of the V6 change log on Reddit if someone have missed in the discussion

Shadowclonezero

Sep 21, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

in a game like this type, wouldn't the penalty reset after the level was cleared? and then the grace period would start the new countdown until the next level was subjugated ?

I'm just curious if you saw anything that made it seem for logical like that in the code (or in the gameplay) when you looked?
I guess I've played games like this before(the strategy part) and it always reset this kind of component of gameplay after you beat the level..
so it strikes me as very illogical and seems like what you half implied.. impossible in a way.

..maybe I will change all the values anyways, but also..

the divider part though.. I still don't understand it, could you please explain that part a bit more?

Neriel

Jan 19, 2018

in a game like this type, wouldn't the penalty reset after the level was cleared? and then the grace period would start the new countdown until the next level was subjugated ?

I'm just curious if you saw anything that made it seem for logical like that in the code (or in the gameplay) when you looked?
I guess I've played games like this before(the strategy part) and it always reset this kind of component of gameplay after you beat the level..
so it strikes me as very illogical and seems like what you half implied.. impossible in a way.

the divider part though.. I still don't understand it, could you please explain that part a bit more?
The penalty does reset and also it starts a new Countdown once you enter a new floor.

Reactions: Shadowclonezero

tanabe74

Aug 16, 2017
How to enable full version?
When i clear 2nd floor and it said "this is the end of the demo version"

Neriel

Jan 19, 2018

Oh and the Divider part. This is how often the penalty is applied. If the Divider is 1, that means once you have reached the time Limit, each day -1 Control Penalty will stack. So after 5 Days as an example the penalty would -5. If the Divider is 3, that means every 3 Days you will get a stack of -1 Control. Hope this helps.

Shadowclonezero

Sep 21, 2017
oh I see, that's why he said if you're on easy mode its not bad.. like every 6 days you get -1

um.. I said that wrong.. lol it would start at 3 days and go to 9 days.. at lvl 5 oops lol

yes, thanks that helps me understand more clearly :D

Last edited:

Iexist

Jul 20, 2018
The divider I referenced earlier is part of the function that affects the rate at which control decreases once you pass the thresshold. It is not actually a linear thing, though it tends to work out that way most of the time on the 1st Floor.

It was discussed on Rem's discord, and, for example, the level 1 function looks like this:
if(this.prisonLevelOneIsAnarchy()) {
orderChange += PRISON_LEVEL_ONE_ANARCHY_ORDER_CHANGE;
let levelAnarchyGracePeriod = anarchyGracePeriod * PRISON_ANARCHY_GRACE_LEVEL_ONE_MULTIPLER;
anarchyDecreaseDivider *= PRISON_ANARCHY_DEC_LEVEL_ONE_DIVIDER;
if(this._prisonLevelOne_anarchyDays + this._levelOneBonusGracePeriod > levelAnarchyGracePeriod)
orderChange += Math.ceil((this._prisonLevelOne_anarchyDays + this._levelOneBonusGracePeriod - levelAnarchyGracePeriod)/anarchyDecreaseDivider);
What that means is that the Divider's function is actually more complex than that, though the results tends to work out that way.

The code also includes functions that increase the divider based on certain Edicts, like the guard training ones... but that won't really have a visible effect on the Control Decrease outside of easy mode. And that's because the Easy Mode divider multiplies the other values. So for example, with no Guard training Edicts, on Secretary Mode, level two ends up with a 7.2 divider.

That may sound weird, but apparently that "Math.ceil" function rounds out numbers to the nearest Integer, which includes zero.

So the formula for Level one usually ends up with stuff like 1/1=1 On Day 9, and then 2/1=2 On Day 10, which causes another -1 to be added to Control.

On Level 2, which has a 2.4 Divider, it'll start with 1/2.4=0.4etc which will be rounded out at 0 if it works as we expect it too, so you won't see a decrease in Control yet. 2/2.4=0.8etc which will lead to the first control decrease. 3/2.4=1.25, which will be rounded down at 1, which will mean you won't see a difference. But the next day, you will.

This will obviously change if you have Guard Training Edicts, which I think can push that to 2.8...

Either way, plenty of testing will be needed. Especially since that "Bonus Grace Period" variable is confusing...

• Red Heart

Shadowclonezero

Sep 21, 2017
well.. I may have to see what the lowest tier on his subscribestar is for getting in discord.. I'm interested in stuff like this.. I didn't think ppl would talk about it on discord. I guess REM can't stop conversations though

4.60 star(s) 403 Votes