Feb 27, 2017
Noxian Nights is my favourite hgame and I just can't understand how they managed to do that so well. It was balanced so well between the few female mains and the corruption. And the updates came fast. I also think most of my dislikes are towards renpy not the story or the characters here.
Inconceivable, You think people preferred RPGM to Renpy? the only complaints about Renpy I've read is that they blamed a lot of the delays on figuring out python coding needed for it, not against the engine itself

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
Noxian Nights is my favourite hgame and I just can't understand how they managed to do that so well. It was balanced so well between the few female mains and the corruption.
FWIW I think NN got pretty stupid around 0.5. It was still okay, and the minotaur ending was great, but overall the corruption progression was ruined.

FatDragonite

Feb 13, 2019
I don't know about you guys but I want more barbaric SHIT more armours and weapons more fights more fucking and female antagonists to defeat and put to work in the tents XD just feel like they should hurry this camp arc up to get to the rest of the world it's obvious that it's gonna wrap up with sabia and her chosen captain leading the camp or just her no need to take 2 years of development on one arc

censuur

Oct 15, 2017
Inconceivable, You think people preferred RPGM to Renpy? the only complaints about Renpy I've read is that they blamed a lot of the delays on figuring out python coding needed for it, not against the engine itself
Renpy interface is quite obnoxious for non-visual novel games, also mouse-based interaction is annoying and makes repetitive tasks even more of a chore. One of my main gripes with the game is how bloody long it takes to do anything, and how grindy certain tasks end up being (like the insufferable grind to get money for the feast) constantly having to revisit areas checking for changes with each update is also really annoying (do I go talk to Kira now? No, there was a scene somewhere else first. OK now? Nope, that opened up a scene elsewhere you need to do before that, etc. etc.)

I'm also not much of a fan of the way Sabia exists in the story, the fact that she can be a completely different person based on a few choices just means every route is watered down to allow a multitude of options and Sabia herself just ends up feeling like an afterthought in her own story. The narrative being all over the place is further reinforced by the fact that they felt they had to change the opening, and Sabia refusing to go to the tents after the first chapter feels like a bait-and-switch with what the initial released actually offered. This recurs throughout, and leads to a lot of disappointing situations (working in the bar, getting harassed... SURPRISE SUDDENLY MURDER, apparently Sabia set this whole thing up off screen without any player agency)

I would also have greatly preferred a general narrative of a dominant Sabia using sex as a means to an end and using the desires of those around her against them, but playing the dominant route now is mostly just going around and just occasionally, almost randomly, having sex with something that came up, which ends up feeling jarring as it's a normally "dominant" Sabia just ends up going out to get fucked by something (Kia/tentacles etc.) with the only exception being Lutvog.

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
Renpy interface is quite obnoxious for non-visual novel games, also mouse-based interaction is annoying and makes repetitive tasks even more of a chore. One of my main gripes with the game is how bloody long it takes to do anything, and how grindy certain tasks end up being (like the insufferable grind to get money for the feast)
That's not really a renpy issue. You can make a horrible grind in RPGM, unity or whatever engine you want.

I agree with the rest, but that's just shitty storytelling.

dafvid112

Aug 8, 2017
Just my opinion and taste. Censuur however expresses it a lot better. I consider renpy the 2nd lowest form of any game creation tool. I am also an old fuck that loves the '89 original gameboy, and pokemon yellow so I obviously won't have a problem with rpgmaker. The best stuff around this game other than its art is Viressa's patches removing every single system trying to resemble some form of gameplay. And I suffered through that damn puzzle by myself so I know what I am talking about. I truly believe this game would be better in any version of rpgmaker if there is not better option on the table. With renpy, all the work is wasted and Nomo could just release the scenes as a form of comic or something. Also the amount of word diarrhea renpy magicly magnets around itself is amazing. I am an rpg guy but just can' make myself read through this game.

Reactions: punhetas

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
Just 2nd, huh?

But I guess I can see it, renpy not actually offering any gameplay mechanics other than dialogues and menu choices and that skews the picture. Just let's not pretend things like this don't exist in other engines, and renpy is somehow to blame rather than devs' lazyness.

Reactions: dafvid112
Feb 27, 2017
Renpy interface is quite obnoxious for non-visual novel games, also mouse-based interaction is annoying and makes repetitive tasks even more of a chore. One of my main gripes with the game is how bloody long it takes to do anything, and how grindy certain tasks end up being (like the insufferable grind to get money for the feast) constantly having to revisit areas checking for changes with each update is also really annoying (do I go talk to Kira now? No, there was a scene somewhere else first. OK now? Nope, that opened up a scene elsewhere you need to do before that, etc. etc.)
For UI its identical to RPGM box buttons. Renpy allows you to customise the UI far more, the devs just aren't using it.

As for grind, you can bind ctrl to your any mouse button for easy skipping, get used to high sens for fast clicking all over the screen, the load times are virtually non-existent in Renpy as where RPGM is like DOS, which is fine in looks not so much in performance, replaying a game in RPGM especially is torture

In regards to the game play grind you described nothing thats exclusive to Renpy it would be the same in any other engine both have save editors to reduce grind but console commands in Renpy allow you to manipluate varaibles in real time which is a huge bonus if you hate grind as I do

I would also have greatly preferred a general narrative of a dominant Sabia using sex as a means to an end and using the desires of those around her against them, but playing the dominant route now is mostly just going around and just occasionally, almost randomly, having sex with something that came up, which ends up feeling jarring as it's a normally "dominant" Sabia just ends up going out to get fucked by something (Kia/tentacles etc.) with the only exception being Lutvog
Can't argue with you here, the decisions only matter in sex scenes and the totally of the difference is a few pictures and sentences of dialogue, the sub/dom paths aren't paths just scene variants

Develing

Jul 16, 2017
Probably thats the Hreinn feature - making everything in last possible moment. That would be really funny if they would release it 11th.

telc0ntar

Jun 10, 2018
It's the 11th now in my part of the world - damn you, Hreinn games. The Tekrok scene better be worth it - I need some good orc content, and no other game satisfies the itch like this does.

Reactions: 561397

Marissa89

May 28, 2018
I apologize for the question, can anyone help me with an issue? I am not able to access the menu from the game, I have been trying right clicking or pressing the exit button but I cannot access the game menu, why is that?

Reactions: Dovoh

Viressa

May 24, 2018
This is a bug renpy games seem to have sometimes: I'm not sure of the exact cause, but it seems to have to d with the game getting confused about what "layer" of screens is currently "in focus" and capable of interacting with the mouse. Try killing the app with the task manager and loading your most recent save.

TheSexinati

Sep 1, 2017
Ahem, obligatory lyrics Ahoy.

"Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the streetwise Hercules to fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and I turn
And I dream of what I need
I need a hero!
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night!"

Marissa89

May 28, 2018
This is a bug renpy games seem to have sometimes: I'm not sure of the exact cause, but it seems to have to d with the game getting confused about what "layer" of screens is currently "in focus" and capable of interacting with the mouse. Try killing the app with the task manager and loading your most recent save.
Thank you, although, I have been trying using a new version of the game, and it seems to be working just fine. However, as I enabled the console commands, I couldn't access to the menu again. I have noticed that, once enabling the console, every time I start the app it does go automatically to start a new game, loading the introduction without me pressing any buttons.
Is there anyone that could suggest one enabling the console without think to happen?

TheMagister

Aug 5, 2016
Choosing between RPG Maker and Ren'Py is quite easy for making a game:

Are you making (essentially) a visual novel, where the gameplay is limited to dialogue choices?
Yes -> use Ren'Py
No -> Fuck off, don't even consider it

Reactions: censuur and Chadarn
3.90 star(s) 76 Votes