Viressa

May 24, 2018
By my understanding, "checking and tweaking" is typically last step-tune up type stuff. That's taken them over a week? Christ, how much do they need to check? Hopefully that means lots of content and not poor work pace.
Most likely they mean they're doing internal bug testing: Since this update adds a ton of new code and other crap, it's not surprising it's taking a while.

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
Most likely they mean they're doing internal bug testing: Since this update adds a ton of new code and other crap, it's not surprising it's taking a while.
Except that their last few posts have been that they're "tweaking" IIRC. So it's really been about a month+ of "tweaking" the game that they've claimed to be working on. Though that might depend on exactly what you count as tweaking (I personally would say it's last minute typo / word choice changes and minor changes to art work, not bug testing. If you're bug testing, you say that you're bug testing, if you're adding artwork still that's what you're doing, exc.)

Reactions: NBV and pizbia

WiccaWicked

Jan 6, 2018
That's fair. I tried coding in college and I was hopeless at it, so I can't comment on how hard it is. If this update adds new framework for for scenes and mid speech content, I'm all for the wait. I just wish they would be more specific about why it takes so much time. I can't fathom a reason not to be transparent with all update progress. I like what summertime saga does with the constant progress bars.

Last edited:

fffffffffffk

Sep 1, 2019
That's fair. I tried coding in college and I was hopeless at it, so I can't comment on how hard it is. If this update adds new framework for for scenes and mid speech content, I'm all for the wait. I just wish they would be more specific about why it takes so much time. I can't fathom a reason not to be transparent with all update progress. I like what summertime saga does with the constant progress bars.
It's only hard because they didn't do it at the start of the project.

Reactions: EMADE

WiccaWicked

Jan 6, 2018
I wonder if they didn't change their plans halfway through. If they intended to make it how it's "going to be" after this update, then they should have just built it like this from the start. I'm more inclined to think they started it as just nn but with original characters, but Sierra wanted to write an actual story, and when she left they just decided to go back to nn, but go ahead and use the framework they were making anyway. Not that I'm complaining, in my mind, story is the icing on top a core sponge of scenes and artwork. If things become just, more and better nn, I'm all for it. Look at four elements trainer, it's basically 4 books of the same writing and art, but new scenarios, and it's doing hella well.

Jinsoyun

Sep 28, 2018
Except that does not add up well. From their post about Sierra's departure we know that Nomo is the one behind the story and character design for both visuals and personality. If only Sierra wanted to make a story and politics based game, then why would they leave the story writing to Nomo? A more fitting explanation is that Nomo accepted the shift in direction while Sierra wanted to focus on writing something more interesting/challenging to her and she already had at least one other project to work on anyway.

That is pretty much the point exactly, but i'm not sure we view it the same way.
We aren't talking about a company here, not even a small one but rather a duo/trio of writers and artists. As far as i know, renpy was new to everyone involved at the start, so problems were bound to happen. The inventory system is a good example. In RPGMaker you don't have to worry about that, because the inventory, shop, loot, treasures and equipment systems are all integrated. But not in renpy.

Due to the nature of patreon and game development in general they had to create a demo version early on. 0.1 and 0.2 were basically just that, demos. Then they started to add things to this demo step by step as they came up. This is obvious if you look at the development history. With hindsight it's easy to tell that this was a bad idea, but i don't remember anyone bringing up the lack of complex background systems in this thread either when the game launched.
Pointing out a mistake in the past is quite easy, but to prevent it one from happening in the first place would need the expertise of a project manager and several years of experience in the industry.

Hreinn should improve their communication and planning, not just for the players, but for their own sake too. But too many complaints in this thread are about things that could only be solved with a time machine.

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
Except that does not add up well. From their post about Sierra's departure we know that Nomo is the one behind the story and character design for both visuals and personality. If only Sierra wanted to make a story and politics based game, then why would they leave the story writing to Nomo? A more fitting explanation is that Nomo accepted the shift in direction while Sierra wanted to focus on writing something more interesting/challenging to her and she already had at least one other project to work on anyway.
My understanding (could be wrong, of course) of the story writing was that Nomo came up with the basic idea and structure / outline. Sierra was the one fleshing out that outline to be an actual readable story.

And yeah, Sierra usually is working on multiple projects at once, which works for her in general. Depending on the person, that avoids burnout on any one project and allows progress on one of the projects if you're waiting on someone / something else on a different project (art assets, bug reports, critiques, exc.

Reactions: Jinsoyun

Azope

Jul 26, 2017
I don't know if it by chance or somethink like that but quite some time ago i have notice the disparition of the hreim blog link in the TLS blog and when i ask her she say that it a mistacken that will be fix and so next week it was again hier some week later it disaperared again and ask her. And when i complaint that it not right she say it just a mistack and after i say i don't like lied She say that they will probably part away because hreim doest want pay "a just price " for Sierra script. So it just a money problem. And 4 month later they officially end they contra. And i think they just don't want people know that they break up because of money. By the way i don't find the comment anymore so i have no idea if it was delete or it just somewhere. Ot i could find if i check in a better way.

Ps juste note it only a think she say without thinking it could be sincere or it could be a lied made up too quickly beford they decided they official statement. And it could be biassed and Hreim could be have a diffente POW. And it could too be more complexe and the price think may just be the final point of a long runing failling relation BUT I don't wory too much about it. Since 90% of time reason of two Adulte in a comercial relation break up is money.

Last edited:

allenjohn

Apr 12, 2018
My biggest issue with Hreinn, aside from their lack of communication, is that their updates never feel like they deserve the time they get. I'm absolutely certain that when this update launches it's not going to feel like the product of 5/6 months of hard work, it's going to be underwhelming and disappointing because it's almost always underwhelming and disappointing. I think they should release smaller updates more regularly, not just to abate people's impatience but also for their own bottom line.

Anduo Games, despite being founded later than Hreinn and not having a completed game under their belt, earns nearly double their money on Patreon for their game, Third Crisis. It's $9532 to $5079 as of my writing this. Even though, in my opinion, KoD is both more ambitious and more pleasing on the eyes, they still make barely half. I'd chock this up to the fact that Anduo puts out weekly progress reports and monthly updates, sometimes even multiple in one month. Anduo's updates for Third Crisis aren't large either, but that's fine when you're getting one or two per month. A 4-6 month development cycle is absolutely insane considering each update has only maybe an hour or so of new content, sometimes less. They wouldn't even need to hire somebody to make Patreon posts, just have one person per week slap together a WIP preview or sketch image and type out a few paragraphs about what's new and what's changing. It's really not hard, almost every other dev I follow does it, even ones that don't even make a fraction of what Hreinn makes.

I understand the criticism for leeches that don't support the game, but I have. I quit supporting Hreinn because I felt insulted by how little content was being added despite the massive gap between updates and occasional delays. I enjoyed Noxian Nights and wanted to see what they did next, but I have no interest in paying $15 a month just to get instant access to their game that only updates two or three times a year. I obviously haven't played this update, but I have no doubt that it'll be disappointing to many, especially those that payed for it. If Hreinn wants to succeed and grow they're going to need to talk to people and stop vanishing for extended periods of time. They're being paid to do this, and the people paying their bills deserve regular progress updates on the game they're funding.

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
If that is the side project then where is the main one?
He's suggesting that they have a normal day job and are making the game on the side, which is what most patreon devs do since they can't live off the amount of money they get on patreon.

3.90 star(s) 76 Votes