Jinsoyun

Sep 28, 2018
new ppl making this?
For unknown, but speculated reasons, the original writer left the team and so had to be replaced. There are two important things to note here. The first one is the fact that as far as we know, 0.5, "the raid patch" was the last one confirmed to be written only by the first writer. Everything afterwards is either a mix or solely done by the new one.
And two, Nomo, the artist is the one who wrote the story and designed the appearances and personalities of the characters all along, he just can't or doesn't want to write the text itself.

Now, in my personal opinion, the problem with the last two patches were rooted in the structure and not the writing or the story itself. Good counter examples are the Arena and the Horned god's night events. One event in one patch, from start to finish. Well structured, well written and coherent.

The Warchief's disappearance started an uproar in the camp, which is as of now left open, we instead went to investigate and start another thread with the bandits, which is also left open, and the 0.9 patch followed it up by setting up another 1-3 new threads of story and over a dozen h-scenes. Basically since the arena we haven't closed any narrative threads and the last two patches started way more new ones than what they advanced further.

When we read or watch a story, we enjoy episodes or chapters because those naturally mark points where you can stop for the day and feel satisfied. And these checkpoints seem to be missing from the recent updates.

D

Deleted member 584847

For unknown, but speculated reasons, the original writer left the team and so had to be replaced. There are two important things to note here. The first one is the fact that as far as we know, 0.5, "the raid patch" was the last one confirmed to be written only by the first writer. Everything afterwards is either a mix or solely done by the new one.
And two, Nomo, the artist is the one who wrote the story and designed the appearances and personalities of the characters all along, he just can't or doesn't want to write the text itself.

Now, in my personal opinion, the problem with the last two patches were rooted in the structure and not the writing or the story itself. Good counter examples are the Arena and the Horned god's night events. One event in one patch, from start to finish. Well structured, well written and coherent.

The Warchief's disappearance started an uproar in the camp, which is as of now left open, we instead went to investigate and start another thread with the bandits, which is also left open, and the 0.9 patch followed it up by setting up another 1-3 new threads of story and over a dozen h-scenes. Basically since the arena we haven't closed any narrative threads and the last two patches started way more new ones than what they advanced further.

When we read or watch a story, we enjoy episodes or chapters because those naturally mark points where you can stop for the day and feel satisfied. And these checkpoints seem to be missing from the recent updates.
While I agree with you in the matter of the structure, I disagree with the fact that the problem isnt in the writing but of course, every player looks for different things in the games and got his own opinion on how things should/should not be.

Personally, I didnt feel intrigued by ANY of the events since the kidnapping, literally i cant find a single one that cought my eye. Some MIGHT be solid, but the way there were written totally killed them.
I can write detailed description why each and single one of them are not interesting but that would only result in a large debate and it wouldnt change the fact that each player looks at the events differently so i wont do it.
Sadly I had to change my rating, for in my eyes this no longer deserves 5 stars.
Ive heard that new update might be comming up "soon" so I hope they will come up with something new...

Reactions: Retromancer

sam1545654

Jan 1, 2018

Thats a big word up on that one. Structure. I will never give up on this game but i do miss the feeling of the earlier patches where each branch off off the main "story" had finality to them, and you choices up to that point also felt like that had more weight. However, while i wholly agree that structure is key, i would hope that at this point sub and dom routes would start reflecting more on the character. whether it be physical appearance (clothes, tattoos, brands, piercings), Choices available, reaction to harassment, basic dialogue and demeanor etc.

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
As long as people play the game they're gonna notice that writing changes significantly at some point of the game. So... yeah, we're stuck answering this question for a long time.

Reactions: Retromancer

DarkOrder666

Apr 29, 2018
I no longer belong to the group of patrons, the communication is terrible, the last update was to be an extension of the game, and it was not. Story should have different paths, but everything is based on the same repeating pattern.

Kerlon

Nov 13, 2016
honestly the best for them would be to cancel the game and restart from scratch on a new project, the situation as it is now is not really helping them, there are some major flaws all over the project. Nomo needs someone who takes him by the hand and leads the way, he should stick exclusively to making the artwork.

D

Deleted member 584847

honestly the best for them would be to cancel the game and restart from scratch on a new project, the situation as it is now is not really helping them, there are some major flaws all over the project. Nomo needs someone who takes him by the hand and leads the way, he should stick exclusively to making the artwork.
Sorry but i have to disagree... If everyone should cancel their projects everytime some problems appear and start again with a new project, there would be no games to play.
I think that making a rework of the 2nd part would solve this problem but i doubt that we will ever see it. Their Patreon's feedback is what they value (logicaly) and complaining on this site will not help us. Only if ppl from Patreon would complain in a larger numbers, that could make a difference but i have no idea if that will be the case or how well satisfied are they with the game.

Dragon139

Apr 17, 2018
Their Patreon's feedback is what they value (logicaly) and complaining on this site will not help us. Only if ppl from Patreon would complain in a larger numbers, that could make a difference but i have no idea if that will be the case or how well satisfied are they with the game.
They were starting to have complaints in the patreon comments. I don't know whats happened since everything became pay-walled. It feels like they are starting to get fatigued with the project.

I really think the best thing for them to do is set the next update 6+ months away. something like:
"Hey guys were going to take a month off (and not have the patreon charge for the month). then spend the rest of the time laying whatever infrastructure we need for the rest of the game. After that we'll commit to a (whatever time they need) update schedule with a regular (weekly, monthly whatever) patreon post between updates."

May 26, 2019
They were starting to have complaints in the patreon comments. I don't know whats happened since everything became pay-walled. It feels like they are starting to get fatigued with the project.

I really think the best thing for them to do is set the next update 6+ months away. something like:
"Hey guys were going to take a month off (and not have the patreon charge for the month). then spend the rest of the time laying whatever infrastructure we need for the rest of the game. After that we'll commit to a (whatever time they need) update schedule with a regular (weekly, monthly whatever) patreon post between updates."
They should have sticked to RPGM instead of jumping straight to Ren'Py in the first place. That way they don't end up getting stuck on a tarpit of delays, didn't help them when Sierra left, that simply means there is one less person doing a task a small studio should be making. A few certain Russians aside...

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017

Those were public posts. So we can all take a guess on who was crying over "delays and content"...:sneaky:

May 26, 2019
I'm not sure how RPGM or any other engine for that matter helps with poor writing and lack of direction, but maybe that's just me.
They were fine with Noxian Nights using RPGM to make the game, for one they don't have to spend most of the time making background art for locations and game coding while more on drawing characters and illustrations, the writing is left to Sierra.
Now they'll have to work more than twice as hard with one less person (the writer) on the team, which means more delays and a chance to mess up the development process down the line, which meant even more delays. And that's not even counting on the mental pressure to deliver a complete, less buggy game.

Freebalos

Jul 9, 2017
Yo peeps, i made a KoD survey with some questions regarding the story/scenes/girls etc. Was asking if any of you would like too take part in this survey, and give your opinion about the game and such. Note that this is just for my personal enjoyment and curiosity and not for actual feedback or for future updates. You can find it here: Takes about 10 min or so.

almost 100 peepos :D

D

Deleted member 584847

Yo peeps, i made a KoD survey with some questions regarding the story/scenes/girls etc. Was asking if any of you would like too take part in this survey, and give your opinion about the game and such. Note that this is just for my personal enjoyment and curiosity and not for actual feedback or for future updates. You can find it here: Takes about 10 min or so.

give your honest and fair opinion 8)
also trolling and not following the rules, its just your answer deleted 8(
Just did the survey, thanks for it :)
IT could have been more detailed though. (e.g. you asked players to set a value for the entire story/dialogues while the 1st part was made by a bit different ppl then the 2nd part).
anyway, good idea :) I hope that the developers will take the survey into consideration.
edit: when do you plan to send the results to the developers? or did you already sent it?

Last edited by a moderator:

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
So, uh... I've decided to plot KoD developement speed sometime ago, and here it is.

KoDdevtempo.png

Some notes. My starting date (X axis) is Noxian Nights 1.2 release, or 28.09.16, even though they've revealed some concept arts much earlier. I'm counting scenes as defined by the game's gallery, even though some scenes are just variants, and some are highly unique. CG's are counted by raw image count in the scene folder. The intro removed in 0.4 is counted as 1 scene. We don't know exactly when Sierra left, so I'm just marking the date of Hrein's announcement.

Surprisingly, it shows that development pace hasn't slowed down significantly until 0.9, believe it or not. 0.9 was the worst update, with little content, and the longest wait by far. 167 days!

3.90 star(s) 76 Votes