r34X

Jan 2, 2019
From what I've seen they usually go radio silent after uploading maybe 1-2 hot fixes for latest patch and are MIA for like 2 months before they make a post about upcoming version and how great it will be.

And then 1-3 months later they upload the latest version but punt most of the more interesting features to a future version and underwhelm with newest version.

They really should have stuck with RPGM or something. Ren'Py games usually underwhelm in general imo.

Anita Deek

Feb 14, 2018
They really should have stuck with RPGM or something. Ren'Py games usually underwhelm in general imo.
I think what you mean, if I may, is that this happens because there's not much you can add to a renpy engine technical content-wise that would wow the audience. Content-wise the exceptions would be art and writing.
Personally, I haven't seen a renpy game that stands out with its technical side from the rest of the renpy games, they're all the same in almost everything else but the CG's and story-telling.

Dragon139

Apr 17, 2018
From what I've seen they usually go radio silent after uploading maybe 1-2 hot fixes for latest patch and are MIA for like 2 months before they make a post about upcoming version and how great it will be.

And then 1-3 months later they upload the latest version but punt most of the more interesting features to a future version and underwhelm with newest version.

You're forgetting the bonus pack they do. A post a few weeks after the release, a month of silence and then its release followed by silence till the "almost ready post".

Jinsoyun

Sep 28, 2018
Remember future releases are supposed to be faster by now. LOL
At this point they can still take another 4 months and still be faster than the last time. :D
On that note, does anyone know how long it usually takes for the bonus pack to be released?

D

Deleted member 584847

I dont know... Ive played this game like a year ago, maybe a bit sooner and i was completely taken away by it.

now? ... sorry but to me, it looks like someone else wrote the content after the warchief kidnapping. The content before that is really great but after that? Uninteresting, confusing, small number of choices you can make, forcing, less nasty, even some of the new npc's looks worst then others (the merchants and the bartender in the new village).
like, literally.. at most places i can visit, the only option i can do there is "go back" ..

Reactions: Captain Kirk

Xill

Jan 10, 2018
I dont know... Ive played this game like a year ago, maybe a bit sooner and i was completely taken away by it.

now? ... sorry but to me, it looks like someone else wrote the content after the warchief kidnapping.
Well, that's kinda what happened.

Jinsoyun

Sep 28, 2018
new ppl making this?
For unknown, but speculated reasons, the original writer left the team and so had to be replaced. There are two important things to note here. The first one is the fact that as far as we know, 0.5, "the raid patch" was the last one confirmed to be written only by the first writer. Everything afterwards is either a mix or solely done by the new one.
And two, Nomo, the artist is the one who wrote the story and designed the appearances and personalities of the characters all along, he just can't or doesn't want to write the text itself.

Now, in my personal opinion, the problem with the last two patches were rooted in the structure and not the writing or the story itself. Good counter examples are the Arena and the Horned god's night events. One event in one patch, from start to finish. Well structured, well written and coherent.

The Warchief's disappearance started an uproar in the camp, which is as of now left open, we instead went to investigate and start another thread with the bandits, which is also left open, and the 0.9 patch followed it up by setting up another 1-3 new threads of story and over a dozen h-scenes. Basically since the arena we haven't closed any narrative threads and the last two patches started way more new ones than what they advanced further.

When we read or watch a story, we enjoy episodes or chapters because those naturally mark points where you can stop for the day and feel satisfied. And these checkpoints seem to be missing from the recent updates.

D

Deleted member 584847

For unknown, but speculated reasons, the original writer left the team and so had to be replaced. There are two important things to note here. The first one is the fact that as far as we know, 0.5, "the raid patch" was the last one confirmed to be written only by the first writer. Everything afterwards is either a mix or solely done by the new one.
And two, Nomo, the artist is the one who wrote the story and designed the appearances and personalities of the characters all along, he just can't or doesn't want to write the text itself.

Now, in my personal opinion, the problem with the last two patches were rooted in the structure and not the writing or the story itself. Good counter examples are the Arena and the Horned god's night events. One event in one patch, from start to finish. Well structured, well written and coherent.

The Warchief's disappearance started an uproar in the camp, which is as of now left open, we instead went to investigate and start another thread with the bandits, which is also left open, and the 0.9 patch followed it up by setting up another 1-3 new threads of story and over a dozen h-scenes. Basically since the arena we haven't closed any narrative threads and the last two patches started way more new ones than what they advanced further.

When we read or watch a story, we enjoy episodes or chapters because those naturally mark points where you can stop for the day and feel satisfied. And these checkpoints seem to be missing from the recent updates.
While I agree with you in the matter of the structure, I disagree with the fact that the problem isnt in the writing but of course, every player looks for different things in the games and got his own opinion on how things should/should not be.

Personally, I didnt feel intrigued by ANY of the events since the kidnapping, literally i cant find a single one that cought my eye. Some MIGHT be solid, but the way there were written totally killed them.
I can write detailed description why each and single one of them are not interesting but that would only result in a large debate and it wouldnt change the fact that each player looks at the events differently so i wont do it.
Sadly I had to change my rating, for in my eyes this no longer deserves 5 stars.
Ive heard that new update might be comming up "soon" so I hope they will come up with something new...

Reactions: Retromancer

sam1545654

Jan 1, 2018

Thats a big word up on that one. Structure. I will never give up on this game but i do miss the feeling of the earlier patches where each branch off off the main "story" had finality to them, and you choices up to that point also felt like that had more weight. However, while i wholly agree that structure is key, i would hope that at this point sub and dom routes would start reflecting more on the character. whether it be physical appearance (clothes, tattoos, brands, piercings), Choices available, reaction to harassment, basic dialogue and demeanor etc.

3.90 star(s) 76 Votes