3.40 star(s) 19 Votes

Demiare

Sep 16, 2016
Women are NOT fit to rule in this society, her father originally wanted her to rule a smaller domain but she was "forced" into a political marriage with the late King.
Actually I ignored that part of story as complete non-sense :) It was true only in early medieval aka Iron Age, in late medieval female top-tier rulers are became more or less accepted (obviously we're about Europe). And game is like most fantasy games isn't in Iron Age (pro-tip : windmills!).

And Pendragons main issue is that she is not accepted among the males while still being equal or supperior in skills.
Biology. I know - it's a heresy in many countries today, but biology is a real and still ignoring every type of propaganda we have. At least we have excuse that it's a fantasy game :D

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
You're absolutely wrong. I triggered that event on Week 87. You should redone it as early game scheduled event to make that true, currently you can delay it as long as you want.
The issue with this post is, that you can't train swordmanship without triggering that Event... sure if that skill is your highest there is a chance to train it via War Events, but that seems unlikely to be an approach for the mayority of Players.

Actually I ignored that part of story as complete non-sense :) It was true only in early medieval aka Iron Age, in late medieval female top-tier rulers are became more or less accepted (obviously we're about Europe). And game is like most fantasy games isn't in Iron Age (pro-tip : windmills!).
And even in late medievil not all nations were progressive enough to have Queens in power and kings without.
The most famous one obviously would be the Brittain Empire (as a Pro), but on the contrary Prussia, France or the Vatikan are prime examples of male domains

• Red Heart
Reactions: KingmakerVN

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019

Biology. I know - it's a heresy in many countries today, but biology is a real and still ignoring every type of propaganda we have. At least we have excuse that it's a fantasy game :D

Although this game is not really meant to be seen through a historical lens, since it pretty much mixes stuff from all periods in medieval history, vikings, plate armor, etc. Never mind the elves and what not. In real life female rulers came about due to coincidences rather than they being equals in those societies. A first born daughter wouldn't inherit if she had a brother and all that. So women were still seen as inferior, and I would find it hard to believe that female rulers didn't experience misogyny as well.

PD. Oh yeah, Evangelion is right haha. You can't train swordmanship even if you delay it.

Demiare

Sep 16, 2016
The issue with this post is, that you can't train swordmanship without triggering that Event... sure if that skill is your highest there is a chance to train it via War Events, but that seems unlikely to be an approach for the mayority of Players.
You could pick a fighter background and train it before ~week 40 when Pendragon is arriving. More then enough time if you are not targeting the elven queen ;)
UPD. +6 to skill per two trainings - you need ~13 weeks of focused training or ~26 of "relaxed". Doable.

And even in late medievil not all nations were progressive enough to have Queens in power and kings without.
The most famous one obviously would be the Brittain Empire (as a Pro), but on the contrary Prussia, France or the Vatikan are prime examples of male domains
Vatikan? Among nations? Ahem... They were quite progressive themselves but restrained by faith. Faith is completely another story and I couldn't and wouldn't judge it.
And honestly most famous example would be a Spain, only then followed by Britain & Russia. But it's depend a lot on how deeply you dig into history and where are you living :)

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
You could pick a fighter background and train it before ~week 40 when Pendragon is arriving. More then enough time if you are not targeting the elven queen ;)
UPD. +6 to skill per two trainings - you need ~13 weeks of focused training or ~26 of "relaxed". Doable.
Sure at the cost of failing any skill check of the previous lords that both can grant you an advantage when dealing with them aswell, as holding more background knowledge.
A new Player would likely try to pass the earlier skill checks rather than a single one much later down the road.
I think this is an inconsistency that is unlikely to be triggered but COULD be adressed in a different way.
Vatikan? Among nations? Ahem... They were quite progressive themselves but restrained by faith. Faith is completely another story and I couldn't and wouldn't judge it.
And honestly most famous example would be a Spain, only then followed by Britain & Russia. But it's depend a lot on how deeply you dig into history and where are you living :)
I can see your point but mine is that the majority of nations of all times had a largely greater number of powerful male rulers than females, some came to power by chance, others after great disasters that destroyed ruleing houses... but most of them turned to a patriarch society after their passing aswell (ancient Egypt/Cleopatra for example).

Demiare

Sep 16, 2016
Sure at the cost of failing any skill check of the previous lords that both can grant you an advantage when dealing with them aswell, as holding more background knowledge.
A new Player would likely try to pass the earlier skill checks rather than a single one much later down the road.
Game is a sandbox, keep it in mind. If player allowed to max a single skill = you should expect at least some maniacs to do it.
Plus easy mode is in game too :)

I can see your point but mine is that the majority of nations of all times had a largely greater number of powerful male rulers than females, some came to power by chance, others after great disasters that destroyed ruleing houses... but most of them turned to a patriarch society after their passing aswell (ancient Egypt/Cleopatra for example).
And they are have a reasons for doing it. Because of differences in psychology between males and females - matriarchy societies have some nasty issues (patriarchy have their own kinks to be honest but they're less restraining in case of society development). Yes, such societies are existed in real history and I'm not about fictional amazons :)
P.S. I hope we could keep it civil if we're going to continue this discussion.

• Angry
Reactions: Krudo1 and gregers

Krudo1

Apr 2, 2021
how do i cheat, i want to incress my skills so i don t fail so mutch and some gold
There are two ways, you could support Kingmaker on patreon or subcribestar (pretty please) and he would give you the cheat codes, or just edit the script file (y)

Reactions: Ssato243

jsmitth529

Mar 4, 2020
I normally like the female protagonist tag better in this genre
So many games, similar to this one and otherwise, have female protagonists, to the point that I think it's quite overdone. It's fantastic to see the rare gem with a male protagonist, in which you don't spend at least 90% of the time being fucked by every vaguely important-looking guy you meet. There's no real point coming in just to comment that you'd like a female protagonist better when the game is obviously not designed to have one. Your comment serves no real purpose and kind of comes across as senseless complaining. You have other games to look at if you want to be fucked by a bunch of guys.

Reactions: EZ8lt

Krudo1

Apr 2, 2021
So many games, similar to this one and otherwise, have female protagonists, to the point that I think it's quite overdone. It's fantastic to see the rare gem with a male protagonist, in which you don't spend at least 90% of the time being fucked by every vaguely important-looking guy you meet. There's no real point coming in just to comment that you'd like a female protagonist better when the game is obviously not designed to have one. Your comment serves no real purpose and kind of comes across as senseless complaining. You have other games to look at if you want to be fucked by a bunch of guys.
referee.jpg

Reactions: Zapdosmoltres1
Mar 4, 2018
I can obviously say that you seem to be new to this, so I will go easy on ya. There are a lot of games in the male protag genre. If anything female protagonist has become a rarity. And I felt that it was a waste of this talented gamemakers time. So I just wanted to let him know.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
I can obviously say that you seem to be new to this, so I will go easy on ya. There are a lot of games in the male protag genre. If anything female protagonist has become a rarity. And I felt that it was a waste of this talented gamemakers time. So I just wanted to let him know.
It seems like you are fairly new to these discussions yourself than.
I have no numbers, but based on the Updates on this Forum the ratio of female/male protagonists are rather equal.
But let's quote the Dev himself to disarm this argument...
This idea was born because I like the princess trainer type of gameplay, however I never found a "prince trainer" to play as a guy (If you know one let me know). And also, as a grand strategy fan I always dreamed of one with some form of kingdom administration. This is the idea that I was looking to emulate in Kingmaker. The TL;DR however is that this is a mix between Long Live the Queen and Reigns. Both games that I enjoyed greatly but that in my mind needed what the other had.
I'd agree with the Dev that a male protagonist in raising Sim games is rare... even more so if the game hosts sexual content.

3.40 star(s) 19 Votes