VN Ren'Py KLK Ryûko's Rumble dev thread

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Since I'm coming closer and closer to the first test build, here is a little video to show you a little teaser of the current game state.

Sadly, this video doesn't have the best quality since my computer is quite old + I'm inexperienced at making videos.
Transitions are very pixelated on the video, but that's not the case ingame.

Hope you'll like it anyway.

Up_down

Mar 26, 2020
Since I'm coming closer and closer to the first test build, here is a little video to show you a little teaser of the current game state.

Sadly, this video doesn't have the best quality since my computer is quite old + I'm inexperienced at making videos.

nice representation of what the game will most likely look like by the way when is the patreon test coming soon?

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
nice representation of what the game will most likely look like by the way when is the patreon test coming soon?
Late May in my current schedule.

But it's not a Patreon test. It will mainly concern people who have contributed to the development of the game but not only.

Reactions: Up_down

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Hello everybody.

I would like to talk about a somewhat controversial topic, since it's about harem / sharing / NTR

Personally I don't have any problem about that kind of topic, but I usually know that some people are very vocal about it (especially for male protagonist games) and I also know that nobody have the same understanding of what NTR is.

My story is above all centered on the main character, Ryûko, but sometimes I will need to show scenes that doesn't involve her in order to move the story forward. I do not plan to add in my game any scene that involve a character intentionally cheating on Ryûko, but I know that some situations could become very tricky for some people, because I have a rather "large" view about what's a harem. I'm far away from all those "All LI must be virgin and they must be not thinking about anything other than the MC" ideals.

I am going to present you some typical cases that will occur in my game, and I would like to have your opinion about it.

1) Two love interests are getting involved in a love affaire with each other in addition to the one they both already have with Ryûko.

2) A love interest is starting a romance with Ryûko while already having a romance with another character, which she doesn't let it go (adding the possibility or not to add this third character to the romance.)

3) A love interest is having a sex scene with another character but no real romance.

I need to give you an example because this one is very specific. Since my game involves a tournament, I'm talking about a situation for which one LI is involved in the tournament, has a relationship with Ryûko, but at the same time she has to sexually beat another girl in order to progress into the tournament.

4) A character that will have or had a sex scene with Ryûko (but no real romance) is having a sex scene with another character.

Same example than before except this time we're talking about a major antagonist, not about an LI.

That's all.

Reactions: Up_down and ilmncsm

RavineAls

Feb 24, 2020
I am going to present you some typical cases that will occur in my game, and I would like to have your opinion about it.
i also didnt mind whole ntr thing so i didnt oppose any of this, so here is my opinion
1. thats sharing instead of netorare, more like sexfriends/group than cheating i guess
2. if ryuko the one who starts the affair, thats stealing/netori akin to ntr
but if ryuko is the one being hit on then the one who hitting her is ntr(netorare)-ing their partner
unless the ntr-ed partner is aware and ok/didn't care of the affair, then that is sharing
3. is just fuck buddies/sexfriend some people will say this is ntr
unless its forced, then that is stealing
4. this one is not ntr but at the same time it is

sorry if i miss understood anything

Jul 15, 2020
I'm a "purist" when it comes to definitions of NTR. Anyone who insists that it's something vaguer than "watching confirmed love interest and not liking it" is not worth listening to (those people will half-ironically claim that your dad NTR'd you when he conceived you, because you're "emotionally jealous" of your mother). Apologies for the following essay:

I will say, though, that there's not much of a difference between classifying romance and sex; they get treated as the same thing (a one night stand or a chaste marriage equally count as an "interaction" for determining these things). And for further clarification, I personally only classify someone as an LI if they're willingly having sex with Ryuko. Defeat with battle sex does not (at least for me) make someone an LI for determining NTR of Ryuko, since it's not fully consenting (but it might NTR someone the loser is in a relationship with).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

1. That's a love triangle / sharing. Everyone involved is willingly having sex with each other, and are with Ryuko before and during.

2. Ryuko stealing someone away from a pre-existing relationship is cheating if the other doesn't find out, or is netori (a classification near but different than NTR) if the other sees it and hates it. The other finding out and liking it would be cuckoldry (AKA netorase, another classification) if they don't join in, or more sharing if they join in.

3. Assuming the LI is already in a relationship with Ryuko before the tournament, the LI winning and having sex would be cheating if Ryuko is unaware, or NTR if Ryuko is not okay with it. Ryuko being okay with it would be a "free pass". If the LI loses, then that would be back to NTR.

4. The multiple tenses you used throw me off a little, so I'll do what I can. A character having sex before they become an LI to Ryuko doesn't affect anything, unless the relationship continues. This could even happen after Ryuko has met them but before the two are in a relationship, and still not be NTR (because not a confirmed LI yet). The LI having sex after Ryuko has started a relationship would go back to cheating/NTR, but only if Ryuko and the LI are confirmed by then.

TL;DR: NTR = Confirmed consenting relationship + witnessing infidelity + not liking it

Reactions: croco_nsfw

Beggarman

Jan 14, 2018
Personally, I'm pretty apathetic towards NTR, it just doesn't phase me. Having another character be stolen away could be hot, but more because it might be humiliating or annoying for Ryuko or the character being stolen - otherwise, I'm just not that concerned about what other character do.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Personally, I'm pretty apathetic towards NTR, it just doesn't phase me. Having another character be stolen away could be hot, but more because it might be humiliating or annoying for Ryuko or the character being stolen - otherwise,
I'm mostly asking because as I said I know some people who have a very large definition of what NTR is, as I want players to have the possibility to play a very open-minded MC.

Ryûko is a character that's heavily based on the Bosozoku Japanese subculture which are youth bikers gangs that were pretty popular during the 80's and 90's. She's a free spirited character and that's why I think adding some love interests who have the same kind of personality would work greatly.

That would mean that Ryûko could have very open relationship with characters which are already or will be engaged in relationships with other characters.

II find it fair if Ryûko's doing the same and if both the LI and her are OK with it.

II really dislike harems which feature a full lineup of Love Interests that only think and live through the MC, like if their life's goals was to stay with the MC forever. This leaves little to no room for characters development.

In fact, every time I want to introduce a new character, I always try to make their "connection" be a mean rather than an end by itself. Starting a relationship with Ryûko must have some kind of "utility" for both Ryûko and the LI.

Thank you for theses feedbacks. Here's a WIP as a reward.

lnomsim

Sep 12, 2021
Personally, I don't consider open relationship as NTR (and I'm ok with open relationship.)

From what I understand, NTR is when characters are in an exclusive relationship and one ends up cheating (voluntarily or by being coerced) and preferring their new partner over the initial one.

I never understood the sudden attraction NTR and cuckolding got these recent years, but since you are asking for an opinion, for me: open relationship=ok, harem=ok, NTR=not ok.

But I'd be interested in your game nonetheless.

But on the other hand, if a character was in a relationship but ended up wanting to join Ryûko [or her harem], I wouldn't mind.

Bioxxx

Oct 31, 2022
I'm mostly asking because as I said I know some people who have a very large definition of what NTR is, as I want players to have the possibility to play a very open-minded MC.

Ryûko is a character that's heavily based on the Bosozoku Japanese subculture which are youth bikers gangs that were pretty popular during the 80's and 90's. She's a free spirited character and that's why I think adding some love interests who have the same kind of personality would work greatly.

That would mean that Ryûko could have very open relationship with characters which are already or will be engaged in relationships with other characters.

II find it fair if Ryûko's doing the same and if both the LI and her are OK with it.

II really dislike harems which feature a full lineup of Love Interests that only think and live through the MC, like if their life's goals was to stay with the MC forever. This leaves little to no room for characters development.

In fact, every time I want to introduce a new character, I always try to make their "connection" be a mean rather than an end by itself. Starting a relationship with Ryûko must have some kind of "utility" for both Ryûko and the LI.

Thank you for theses feedbacks. Here's a WIP as a reward.

as an hardcore ryumako shipper i can see mako being ok with an open relationship somewhat

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Personally, I don't consider open relationship as NTR (and I'm ok with open relationship.)

From what I understand, NTR is when characters are in an exclusive relationship and one ends up cheating (voluntarily or by being coerced) and preferring their new partner over the initial one.

I never understood the sudden attraction NTR and cuckolding got these recent years, but since you are asking for an opinion, for me: open relationship=ok, harem=ok, NTR=not ok.

But I'd be interested in your game nonetheless.

But on the other hand, if a character was in a relationship but ended up wanting to join Ryûko [or her harem], I wouldn't mind.
Yeah regarding that last point, I know it's netori, but I think I never ever found a situation where people complained about adding netori in a game.

The main concern about NTR is that people don't like being on the wrong side of the stick and that's something I can easily understand. Playing someone that's getting played by every other characters can make the player feel miserable.

However, people don't have the same opinion about at what point do you go from the right side of the stick to the wrong side.

Some people think that having one of the LI doing anything with another character while getting engaged with the MC is enough but I definitely won't go by that side.

I have the same definition than EmeraldKhopesh as I think NTR must have the MC disliking it. (or it must be felt like a taboo if netorase).

Llamamann

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018

Looking good! I might suggest moving your age gate to ahead of your main menu, as you could access the gallery and lewd content before it.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Looking good! I might suggest moving your age gate to ahead of your main menu, as you could access the gallery and lewd content before it.
Would you make it a oneshot By making the choice menu appear only when there is no persistent data or would you make it mandatory after each game start ?

I should pay attention to how other game handle it.

Llamamann

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
Would you make it a oneshot By making the choice menu appear only when there is no persistent data or would you make it mandatory after each game start ?

I should pay attention to how other game handle it.
I have it display as soon as you open it. If you click yes im over 18, I go to splash screen with logos and stuff, then land on the main menu. Its whatever works best for you. But you want to make sure all lewd content is gated just to cover your butt

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
I have it display as soon as you open it. If you click yes im over 18, I go to splash screen with logos and stuff, then land on the main menu. Its whatever works best for you. But you want to make sure all lewd content is gated just to cover your butt
My question was more like how many times you display it rather than where do you display it.
Could be annoying for some players to have to click "Yes I'm over 18" each time they launch the game.
And we can consider that once they clicked on it, then it's not required anymore to make this little warning spawn every single time.

But well, better be safe than anything else.

lnomsim

Sep 12, 2021
My question was more like how many times you display it rather than where do you display it.
Could be annoying for some players to have to click "Yes I'm over 18" each time they launch the game.
And we can consider that once they clicked on it, then it's not required anymore to make this little warning spawn every single time.

Most games I have played so far only ask for age confirmation once.
But if you want to play it extra safe, you can ask for confirmation when launching the game the first time, and then either put a +18 waning splash screen or somewhere on the main menu.

Llamamann

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018

I’m not sure of all the requirements, so I’ve played it safe and have it on start up each time. It’s one click, then load the game

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Most games I have played so far only ask for age confirmation once.
But if you want to play it extra safe, you can ask for confirmation when launching the game the first time, and then either put a +18 waning splash screen or somewhere on the main menu.
One time age confirmation + permanent splashscreen is the solution I'm going for.

It's been a while since I made an update post, so let's take some time to make it now.

I'm close to the finish line about completing the very first test build.
I will get in contact with people that are in my shortlist for playtests at the beginning of the next month.

All the backgrounds / characters sprites / sounds effects are done.

I'm still missing one music. RevionBel recently completed the theme song that will be used for Satsuki.
You can listen to it here :

I'm also still missing some arts but we are on the right track.

Here is how my scene folder looks like (alt version included) : 10.png

I'm currently spending 1/10 of my time polishing the very last elements of the game that I would have forgotten, and 9/10 working on the script of the first update that will follow the initial release. It's about 50% done right now.

Some character sprites for those updates are also being worked on. Here is a little preview of some of them (sorry for the people on my discord, but I think it's worth sharing it here too) :
enaro kin naked standard.png Joanna naked standard.png ishimaru mahiro naked angry.png

The only bad news is that I think I will probably have to delay the release of my game as I have some unexpected expenses that will prevent me from getting new art during a whole month.

This and also the fact That I'm still waiting for my compagny to approve the start of my 2nd job. (it's going well but they're so slow...)

That's all !

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Hello everybody.

I would like to talk to you again about the whole "journal system" because I'm kind of stuck with it.
As I already shown you, this system is currently able to display two different menus :

1) A decision tree

2) A characters log

The first one is pretty straightforward. It shows players the decision tree of the game and it puts markers on every important event like H-content / Game-Over / and so on. It doesn't tell the player how to access to the game content, but at least it shows them all the existing paths / choices ingame and allows them to more or less guess how to reach each path and how to reach events they missed if they want to play it outside of the gallery.

The second one is a bit more tricky.

Currently it's nothing more than an evolutive screen, so exactly like the decision tree menu, except that I find the characters log to be much less useful.
Index.png

It is a simple screen that displays all the important characters of the game. it can tease future characters, it can show the player progress (which enemies are defeated/ which characters did or didn't join your side), but it doesn't do much more.

I have the idea to improve this functionnality, but I have two questions :

1) what can I add to it ?

2) is it really worth doing ?

Regarding 1) I have the idea to make each character sprite on this screen clickable in order to display different sub-menus for each characters but I don't know what to display on these sub-menus except maybe some "lore" for each character. But the main problem is also 2) : Is this really a useful feature that players would use or is it way too much work for nothing ? Am I being too hard on myself and should I rather wait for the feedbacks from the first play-tests?

Your opinions on this subject are all welcome,

Thanks,

Reactions: ilmncsm and Up_down