VN Ren'Py KLK Ryûko's Rumble dev thread

Oct 26, 2017
I personally am not a fan of (giving) suggestions since I hate influencing people (and their work), but if you feel like you have some leeway, guess it doesn't hurt to throw in some random ideas. If you end up accepting some, make sure it doesn't cause the core elements to fall behind though!

Concept: I'd say something that is quite hard to find in VNs is unpredictability in character reactions or events (you know, something that the RNG can't help you with and a specific pattern doesn't either, so savescumming won't work - DDLC initially takes people by surprise when they first realize Sayori's death cannot be prevented by the time they get to what feels like a major line of choices to prevent a "bad end"; it also deletes all saves and the character model from the game to make the player feel even more guilty and depressed about a fictional character they won't be able to save anymore). This works even better if the player deliberately went for a bad end to save time :) . DDLC is just an example really since it's a completely different kind of story, but that's the magic of revolutionary VNs (and it was still possible with the Ren'py port, though Dan Salvato did have a lot of struggles...)

If you've already set the romance choices to follow a pattern, this can add replayability value. Some choices that don't affect, lock or outright end a route are nice for the sake of reading them when you get there; they could be subtle hints or just cosmetic elements that add to the enjoyment of reading the story instead of just "clicking your way through". It helps make a VN unique in the sense that you won't play it the same way twice as well, but going too far with this can become a colossal work, so better keep it simple!

(Short version: Something that tells the player "my VN isn't meant for you to click skip all and be done with it, that's what CG rips and scene recollections are for, or you are looking for a nukige, and my game isn't one!")

Personality traits: I don't really have preferences as long as characters feel unique, relatable and incite a player to form a virtually emotional bond with, even for someone who knows nothing about KLK. This usually results in people enjoying multiple characters for different reasons rather than having a "best girl" or best "ship" (even the antagonists - but as you said, this part is set in stone).

Physical characteristic: I guess you meant abilities or talents here, since it would affect the art if it was pure anatomy. Well, portraying them the way KLK fans would see them should work best here, according to your plans.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
I personally am not a fan of (giving) suggestions since I hate influencing people (and their work), but if you feel like you have some leeway, guess it doesn't hurt to throw in some random ideas. If you end up accepting some, make sure it doesn't cause the core elements to fall behind though!

Concept: I'd say something that is quite hard to find in VNs is unpredictability in character reactions or events (you know, something that the RNG can't help you with and a specific pattern doesn't either, so savescumming won't work - DDLC initially takes people by surprise when they first realize Sayori's death cannot be prevented by the time they get to what feels like a major line of choices to prevent a "bad end"; it also deletes all saves and the character model from the game to make the player feel even more guilty and depressed about a fictional character they won't be able to save anymore). This works even better if the player deliberately went for a bad end to save time :) . DDLC is just an example really since it's a completely different kind of story, but that's the magic of revolutionary VNs (and it was still possible with the Ren'py port, though Dan Salvato did have a lot of struggles...)

If you've already set the romance choices to follow a pattern, this can add replayability value. Some choices that don't affect, lock or outright end a route are nice for the sake of reading them when you get there; they could be subtle hints or just cosmetic elements that add to the enjoyment of reading the story instead of just "clicking your way through". It helps make a VN unique in the sense that you won't play it the same way twice as well, but going too far with this can become a colossal work, so better keep it simple!

(Short version: Something that tells the player "my VN isn't meant for you to click skip all and be done with it, that's what CG rips and scene recollections are for, or you are looking for a nukige, and my game isn't one!")

Personality traits: I don't really have preferences as long as characters feel unique, relatable and incite a player to form a virtually emotional bond with, even for someone who knows nothing about KLK. This usually results in people enjoying multiple characters for different reasons rather than having a "best girl" or best "ship" (even the antagonists - but as you said, this part is set in stone).

Physical characteristic: I guess you meant abilities or talents here, since it would affect the art if it was pure anatomy. Well, portraying them the way KLK fans would see them should work best here, according to your plans.
The main problem with your DDLC example is that I don't think I will be good enough at programming to create something this complex on my very first game. :ROFLMAO:

Unpredictability within the story won't be something hard to achieve. KLK base material is very fitting and the story I built will be full of surprises.

But unpredictability within the core of the game is something out of my reach for now. I don't plan to had any fancy mechanics.

Regarding Physical characteristics, I was really talking about the look of some characters. Art always comes last, as I always define everything else (like their place within the story or their expected actions) first. I have more leeway about how characters looks than what they're supposed to do.

Last edited:

aff571

Jun 6, 2017
Forgot to mention it in my last post, But given the number of characters involved, I'm still looking for inspiration.

All the characters are set regarding their place (and rank) in my scenario. However I still have little leeway regarding romanceable characters. I'm only talking about allies, since opponents are really and fully set in stone.

I would like to know what you would like to see among these characters. It could be :

- a personality trait
- a physical characteristic
- a concept

Or anything else you want to say.

I have to warn you that I am not committing myself at all to your opinions. I might not even keep a single one of them.

I personally think that a good story have to be planned from the very beginning (hence why I hate people that make polls in order to let people what will be in next update of their game), but I think that listening to other people's opinions can only be beneficial.

My thanks. :)
Any situations where the MC will be submissive to one of the romanceable girls? Always enjoyed public submission like wearing a collar outside the bedroom or being denied underwear.

Also, since the game revolves around fights to progress the story, are there going to be bad ends where if Ryoko loses she becomes the victor's slave?

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Any situations where the MC will be submissive to one of the romanceable girls? Always enjoyed public submission like wearing a collar outside the bedroom or being denied underwear.
Yes it will be possible, however, since I want reliable characters, I will have to set somes limits.

I already gave this example, but since the relationship between Ryûko and Mako is canonically wholesome, I won't include any "hardcore" content between them.

Everything will depend on the characters and their dynamics and each character will have a very specific range of content.

Also, since the game revolves around fights to progress the story, are there going to be bad ends where if Ryoko loses she becomes the victor's slave?
It depends of what you call a "bad end". If it's a loss scene leading to some punishment, then yes. If it's a whole post-defeat slave gameplay, then no.

II would say the loss fight content is more "extra kinky" than "straight up brutal". It's Kill La Kill, not mortal Kombat.

aff571

Jun 6, 2017
Yes it will be possible, however, since I want reliable characters, I will have to set somes limits.

I already gave this example, but since the relationship between Ryûko and Mako is canonically wholesome, I won't include any "hardcore" content between them.

Everything will depend on the characters and their dynamics and each character will have a very specific range of content.

It depends of what you call a "bad end". If it's a loss scene leading to some punishment, then yes. If it's a whole post-defeat slave gameplay, then no.

II would say the loss fight content is more "extra kinky" than "straight up brutal". It's Kill La Kill, not mortal Kombat.
That's along the line of what I was thinking. Post Defeat Slave stuff would be too much. Though are there consequences for the ending for losing too much during the rest of the game?

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
That's along the line of what I was thinking. Post Defeat Slave stuff would be too much. Though are there consequences for the ending for losing too much during the rest of the game?
Not at all, since all defeats are Game Over for official match.

I don't plan on adding major consequences for losing training matchs.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Main_Screen_Art.png
Hello Everybody !

It's time for a another news update.

As you can see, the splash art for the main menu screen of the game has been finished. I decided to go for a very minimalistic UI in order to give as much space as possible to the main menu screen. I will see how I can optimize the display of the game's logo too.

Artist is :

I finished my Kill-La-Kill re-watch marathon last week. Seems like I forgot a lot of little details from the original story and I add to make more modifications than I initially thought.

But the biggest news is that I should be able to complete the very first build for may (unless I got a big problem), meaning that play-testing should be able to start at this timing.

It will involve some of the people who worked on this game + some people from this thread and from the discord. No people has been contacted yet and I didn't set any list yet. I will do it just weeks before the build is completed.

The main goals of this playtest will be :

- Checking bugs
- Spotting typos
- Giving feedback about the story and the characters.

The later being the most important objective since the build shall be polished enough to avoid any bug fest or full engrish dialogs.

I will try to involve both people who are and aren't familiar with the Kill-la-Kill Fandom.

One of my biggest fear nowadays is to end up with an introduction that's both a lore dump and hardly understandable for people that know nothing about KLK.

Playtest will be very helpful for me to avoid those issues.

That's all.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020
View attachment 2434106
Hello Everybody !

It's time for a another news update.

As you can see, the splash art for the main menu screen of the game has been finished. I decided to go for a very minimalistic UI in order to give as much space as possible to the main menu screen. I will see how I can optimize the display of the game's logo too.

Artist is :

I finished my Kill-La-Kill re-watch marathon last week. Seems like I forgot a lot of little details from the original story and I add to make more modifications than I initially thought.

But the biggest news is that I should be able to complete the very first build for may (unless I got a big problem), meaning that play-testing should be able to start at this timing.

It will involve some of the people who worked on this game + some people from this thread and from the discord. No people has been contacted yet and I didn't set any list yet. I will do it just weeks before the build is completed.

The main goals of this playtest will be :

- Checking bugs
- Spotting typos
- Giving feedback about the story and the characters.

The later being the most important objective since the build shall be polished enough to avoid any bug fest or full engrish dialogs.

I will try to involve both people who are and aren't familiar with the Kill-la-Kill Fandom.

One of my biggest fear nowadays is to end up with an introduction that's both a lore dump and hardly understandable for people that know nothing about KLK.

Playtest will be very helpful for me to avoid those issues.

That's all.
This is first time I posted, so just gonna say that the main menu screen of this visual novel of KLK Ryuko's Rumble looks awesome! The artist who made that definitely did amazing work to make it look epic. Also, just to introduce myself. I am actually not named Luffy_Pirate_King1111. I go by as Jason Dragneel and my Discord is the same. I used the name Luffy_Pirate_King1111 of username on here. Just not to get confused.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
This is first time I posted, so just gonna say that the main menu screen of this visual novel of KLK Ryuko's Rumble looks awesome! The artist who made that definitely did amazing work to make it look epic. Also, just to introduce myself. I am actually not named Luffy_Pirate_King1111. I go by as Jason Dragneel and my Discord is the same. I used the name Luffy_Pirate_King1111 of username on here. Just not to get confused.
Thanks.

Ccinyo is a very talented artist I initially had in my list of people I wanted to work with for a long time.

It's one of her Pokemon artwork she made last summer that convinced me :

11.png
Link :

Sadly, having her as a main artist was too heavy a workload, so instead I will try to commission her occasionally.
Another difficulty was also finding a 2nd artist that could easily match her style, since just having 1 artist doing all the work is impossible.

I currently have two different artists doing all the "main" work. They know each other and they both have very similar inspiration, so it's relatively easy to keep a good art consistency between each artwork.

I wanted to avoid a situation in which going from one image to another would mean a complete shift of style.

I also know that my artists have a relatively "anime" kind of artstyle, which is something not all people like, but you can never satisfy everyone anyway.

Ryuumishou

Apr 19, 2021
Damn, this game has gone a long way ever since I last checked, the art looks amazing, looking forward to the release.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Damn, this game has gone a long way ever since I last checked, the art looks amazing, looking forward to the release.
Thanks, I'm quite happy to read this.

It's been 8 months since the beginning of this project and I'm still as motivated as the very first day.

I have to admit that the current time is really frustrating, and by current time, I mean the period of time during which I have to work hard on the game development without being able to show any playable build of my game to anyone.

Having to spend a lot of ressources on the project (time / money) without receiving any real feedback is frustrating.

Fortunately, it will end in just a few months.

I'm pretty optimistic about the current build, but I'll see how people will receive it. :)

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Hello Everybody.

It's time for another update post.

A lot of work has been accomplished during the past week, however I would prefer to keep it secret.
It's not fun to leak everything. :(

That's why today I'm going to try something very different from usual, taking inspiration from one of my discord's recent posts.

I want to show you the backstage of this project, and today's theme will be about making brand new characters.

1) CONTEXT

As you know, since this game is a Kill-la-Kill fangame project, most of the action will happen within the Honnoji Academy, which is by far KLK most famous place.

In this academy, clubs are very important and their captains are far more powerful than regular students. They're mostly used as minor antagonists in the original animated series, and they all have a design which links them to their clubs activities.

As an example, you can see right below Takaharu Fukuroda from the boxing club and Omiko Hakodate from the tennis club.

Takaharu Fukuroda.jpg Omiko Hakodate.jpg

I thought that making my very own club captains as love interests would be a nice idea since :

- This can result in a very diverse cast of characters
- This can give strong personalities and characteristics to the characters
- This makes them very easily identifiable to the player

Club activities would be the foundation for the creation of my characters.
The main idea behind this is to associate personality traits to the club's captains according to their club activities.

Giving you some examples :

- Gardening club : caring, friendly, cultured
- Athletic club : outgoing, competitive, passionate

Then it's simply a matter of selecting a sufficiently diverse variety of activities and to add more unique personality traits to those characters in order to create a good cast of love interests.

So let's look at a concrete example with one of the characters I leaked before : the captain of the chess club, Kameko Kano.

2) CREATING AN ORIGINAL CHARACTER

Chess was one of the club activities I wanted to add in my game since the very beginning. It allows a lot of potential for an original character. Intelligence is quite often associated with chess, but manipulation too, since a chess player is neither more nor less than a person who controls pawns which don't have any will of their own.

That's why I wanted to create a character design that could represent both chess and several personality traits associated with it.

As you know, Kameko's final design is looking like this :
Fourth sketch.jpg

But this design is quite different from what I had imagined at the very beginning.
Kameko should have for instance :

- A very different hairstyle with black and white hairs in order to show that she's related to chess.
- A much more feminine style of dress (Kameko had to wear a dress at the very beginning)
- A more "friendly" appearance overall

At some point I even had the idea to made her have the design of a Gothic Lolita, using celestia Ludenberg from Danganronpa as a reference.

Celestia_Ludenberg.jpg

But it was probably "too much". A lot of my characters have Danganronpa's references, since I think that KLK and Danganronpa share many things in common.

The main goal behind the ideas I listed before was to create a seemingly innocent character who would later be revealed as being extremely manipulative and dangerous (with Ryûko being engaged in a vanilla relationship that's becoming more and more sub/dom over time, with Ryûko being the sub.)

Some of those concepts were left out before being passed on to the artist in charge of making the sprites for the game, but not all of them.

Here is for example the main inspiration for kameko's hair style (yes it"s a character from the game Acquainted)
Acquainted.png

But you quickly lean that the visual of a 3D character is quite different from a 2D character. Here is Kameko very first sketch to proove it :
First sketch.jpg

That's wasn't working at all. This hair style was uncovering too much of the forehead of the character + I realized that I was doing it wrong by picking a "friendly" design for this character.

Other ideas were tested but also abandoned. For example the idea of giving Kameko two-tone hair was left out, because it made her looks way too much like cruella.
Third sketch.jpg

The character had to have other physical characteristics reminiscent of chess, such as two tattooes showing the symbol of a white queen and a black king.

Second sketch.jpg

But since the final design had Kameko with white hairs and quite a pale skin, the white tattoo had to become black to be more visible. This also meant that Kameko's whole outfit had to be darker (so mostly black) since everything else was white.

No more "feminine" clothing, Kameko would have to wear more "corporate" clothes. This would both give her a more "classy" design and associate her to the corporate world in which the most powerful being control an innumerable masses of individuals, just like a chess player controlling her pawns.

And the main inspiration for this design was Lucifer from Helltaker :
Lucifer.jpg

And that's how we end up with this final design :
Fourth sketch.jpg

Kameko now has red eyes to give her a more "aggressive" look. She also have a blanc and white tie that's looking like a chess board. The shirt underneath had to have another color than white or black since it wouldn't work with a black and white tie over it. As it was not necessary to add too many additional colors, I picked red for the shirt since Kameko's eyes were already red.

I still have some elements of kameko that aren't revelead, but this will have to wait for the release of the game. :D

That's all. I hope you liked this post even if it was quite different from before.

Up_down

Mar 26, 2020
It won't happen. I don't really want to add a futa character in a mostly full yuri game.

If there's F/F penetration involved, then I prefer to add a "non-organic" tool just like a strap-on, than to add a futa character.
reasonable

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
reasonable
Thank you for your understanding.

I know I may seem stubborn but I have always advocated that game devs must always stick to their plan as soon as we're talking about key points of the game.

That's why I don't like developers who make their community vote to decide the content of the next update of their game. It only proves that they have noreal schedule.

Bioxxx

Oct 31, 2022
It won't happen. I don't really want to add a futa character in a mostly full yuri game.

If there's F/F penetration involved, then I prefer to add a "non-organic" tool just like a strap-on, than to add a futa character.
life fiber strap-on? lol