VN Ren'Py KLK Ryûko's Rumble dev thread

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
Hello everybody.

Are there people here who are playing their games on Android ?

I'm questioning myself about doing an Android version of my game.
Some people do play on Android, and I believe it's possible to export it for Android when using RenPy. But I have seen users who were kind enough to provide an Android version of games in the game threads, even for my own game.

But I have not tried their Android export, and I don't know if it's much work to set up RenPy to make an Android build.

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
My impression is that people who want an Android port are people who don't own a computer, or at least not one they can access in private. Their phone is their computer. There's always going to be a number of those people. Can't say how many there are or if the extra work would be worth it.

Even if it's technically simple to build for different platforms, there can be a lot of overhead involved. That, and you'll open yourself up to platform-specific feedback, feature requests and bugs.

Last edited:

Oct 26, 2017
You're reminding me I still need to grab a decent phone to try out Genshin Impact. Last phone I bought was the good old keypad cellphone without even the ability to text. It still works, too! :)

People who ask for an Android version either don't have a computer/can't afford it (can't blame them with electronics going the stone age route faster than light, thanks aggressive consumerism) or indeed fully focused on getting something that they'll only ever use for that. The number definitely is growing, mainly due to resource-intensive gacha games that don't have a computer/console port or cause all emulators to either explode or crash by design. Modern gachage have solid protection against emulation due to how emulators are used by people who already own the game (this actually led to people who couldn't spoof the device recognition going out of their way to buy multiple phones instead, which gacha whales can definitely afford anyway).
Some people do play on Android, and I believe it's possible to export it for Android when using RenPy. But I have seen users who were kind enough to provide an Android version of games in the game threads, even for my own game.

But I have not tried their Android export, and I don't know if it's much work to set up RenPy to make an Android build.
Tom Rothamel (PyTom) refused to port all development features to Android (so you need extra steps if you are using your phone to simply playtest, and even more if you actually want to debug stuff unexpectedly blowing up from a traceback and dumps provided by the user) but yeah, Android packaging is fully supported as far as I know.

Many people definitely play VNs or RPG Maker games on smartphones, even if it's a second-hand one (you don't exactly need cutting-edge gadgets for Ren'Py stuff unless you go out of your way, thank goodness this isn't Unity...)

Reactions: Beggarman

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Hello everybody !

Here comes the first big post of the year ! Sorry for the incoming wall of text, but I have a lot of informations to share with you. :giggle:

1) Progress report.

I spent most of the last days working on Qol features and generally improving scenes that involves only sprites + background instead. I'm still on it.

My goal is to make sprites heavy scenes more dynamics without ending up with an epileptic fest. I'm working on several little things to make it work :

- Adding little visual effects when characters are showing strong emotions.

- Adding a shy gray filter to characters that aren't talking or moving in order to make the other ones stand out more and help the player to know who's leading the action.

- Adding several little moves like shaking, jumping, panicking, all the things that can make the sprites feel more alive without having them sprinting from one side of the screen to another.

A lot of assets are also being worked on :

- Another original music

- Voice acting for sex SFX (the only thing that will be voiced)

- Another background artwork (was supposed to be completed but I felt like something was missing)

- Another unique scene

- The main menu artwork

Will possibly see if the main menu artwork can be animated. It will probably be the only animated picture of my whole game considering how expensive it is. Currently none of the sex scenes are animated but they all involve at least 2 unique CGS (so not counting variants). I'm trying to avoid using only 1 static CG for a whole scene as I'm not a fan of this.

2) Other news

Sadly, I've got a bad news for you : I will probably have to delay the initial release of my game. :(

It's not that I won't be able to get the first release in time (Mai/June), but it's more that it could become problematic for the first update following the initial release.

I talked with a lot of developers that told me it would be better to have at least 1 or 2 updates fully ready when launching your game so the very first update can go smoothly and avoid any big issue.

That's something I already worked on, but only for the part I can achieve by myself alone : writing and programming.

It's slower to get art completed than to get the writing done, and I'm afraid that launching my game in May / June would mean having possible trouble to deliver the first update quickly enough.

I'll keep you informed.

image.png

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Hello everybody.

Progress are made little by little as my main job is taking a lot of my time right now.

My work on sprites is done. I also added some lines of codes in order to set-up personnalized preferences at the very first start of the game since Ren'py is setting all volumes at 100 % by default. Better avoid making the ears of the player implode considering the music i'm using is really action-driven on the main menu.

What I need to do now is :

- Work on the exit menu since I still have the default one.
- Work on a french translation (need to make a french version of all the visual assets that include text.)
- Keep working on content that's planned for the first update after the release.

I have a few questions to ask you :

- What are you thinking about the overview of my game (it's behind the spoiler of the 1st message of this thread) ? How would you improve it ?

- Do you know an easy to use software that would allow me to record my screen ? Will probably try to make a little teaser.

Not really difficult to find this kind of software, but I always prefer to look at what people recommend to me first

Here is a little WIP of the main menu artwork :
image.png

Dec 7, 2020
Hello everybody.

Progress are made little by little as my main job is taking a lot of my time right now.

My work on sprites is done. I also added some lines of codes in order to set-up personnalized preferences at the very first start of the game since Ren'py is setting all volumes at 100 % by default. Better avoid making the ears of the player implode considering the music i'm using is really action-driven on the main menu.

What I need to do now is :

- Work on the exit menu since I still have the default one.
- Work on a french translation (need to make a french version of all the visual assets that include text.)
- Keep working on content that's planned for the first update after the release.

I have a few questions to ask you :

- What are you thinking about the overview of my game (it's behind the spoiler of the 1st message of this thread) ? How would you improve it ?

- Do you know an easy to use software that would allow me to record my screen ? Will probably try to make a little teaser.

Not really difficult to find this kind of software, but I always prefer to look at what people recommend to me first

Here is a little WIP of the main menu artwork :
View attachment 2360863
OBS Studio is a free program for recording. You can try to install that and a free and easy to use codec like x264 and see if you like the results.

If I remember correctly, you can tell OBS to record the whole screen or a specific window.

As for the story, well, it seems a quite standard premise for a tournament manga, only that with sex this time xD. I don't really know the source material, I only know memes about how "edgy" it was xD, so maybe try to be a bit playful with the edginess, and combine that with romance, edgy + romance is cute and fun if well done.

Reactions: Beggarman

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
OBS Studio is a free program for recording. You can try to install that and a free and easy to use codec like x264 and see if you like the results.

If I remember correctly, you can tell OBS to record the whole screen or a specific window.

As for the story, well, it seems a quite standard premise for a tournament manga, only that with sex this time xD. I don't really know the source material, I only know memes about how "edgy" it was xD, so maybe try to be a bit playful with the edginess, and combine that with romance, edgy + romance is cute and fun if well done.
Thanks, I will try to use OBS then.

Oct 26, 2017
Unless your main audience will be French (even if you are a native speaker) I'd save the localization worries for later.
Though it's indeed a good idea to already have the entire French dialogue ready as a l10n base*. Retranslations are not proper translations and lead to the stuff of nightmares. Make sure you're set on what will be the main language and then translate from that and check everything. Never from any other language. Loss of context utterly destroys a game and especially a VN.

About the overview, sounds nice as it is and not overly ambitious. Beware of that last part, being ambitious is good but going overboard with the flowchart is what ruins most games and delays updates. You'll always have time to think about filler features later on when you have a writer (or artist, if you also learn art in the process) block or are done with everything that was planned so far and feel like the game feels unfinished or not deep enough.

About screen recording, well, thanks to Mistress Elizabeth for the recommendation as well since I'm not big on streaming and was just using browser extensions for this.

*Exceptions apply but that one's obvious to any translator.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Retranslations are not proper translations and lead to the stuff of nightmares. Make sure you're set on what will be the main language and then translate from that and check everything. Never from any other language. Loss of context utterly destroys a game and especially a VN.
I am not sure I understand what you mean here.

The main language will be english, the whole translation will be done manually, and I can't really lose the context of the scenes since I'm the one who builded it, it's not like if an outsider was doing it.

Dec 7, 2020
I am not sure I understand what you mean here.

The main language will be english, the whole translation will be done manually, and I can't really lose the context of the scenes since I'm the one who builded it, it's not like if an outsider was doing it.
What she means is that all translations should be done always from the original language.

For example, if a text is originally in Japanese, if you want to translate it into Spanish and English, both translations should be made from the original text in Japanese, and avoid creating a "chain" of translations where the text in English has been translated from Japanese, but the Spanish text is translated from the English translation, since that would be translating and already translated text.

A "chain" of translations tends to further degrade the meaning and quality of the text at each step. And unfortunately it's something that happens even in professional translations.

Of course, in the case of your game, if you know both English and French, and you write the game in both languages at the same time, that's different, since both languages could be considered "equals" in this case.

Last edited:

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
What she means is that all translations should be done always from the original language.

For example, if a text is originally in Japanese, if you want to translate it into Spanish and English, both translations should be made from the original text in Japanese, and avoid creating a "chain" of translations where the text in English has been translated from Japanese, but the Spanish text is translated from the English translation, since that would be translating and already translated text.

A "chain" of translations tends to further degrade the meaning and quality of the text at each step. And unfortunately it's something that happens even in professional translations.

Of course, in the case of your game, if you know both English and French, and you write the game in both languages at the same time, that's different, since both languages could be considered "equals" in this case.
Thanks, that all clear.

I don't think any chain of translations would happen from my part since I only plan to use at most two different languages.

I never really use my native language, since even the first draft of every single sentence I write is in english.

I'm then using DeepL to compare my draft with its. It helps me spot some common mistakes I make.
I don't always agree with DeepL, as sometimes this tools is quite limited.

Then I'm uploading everything on my drive in order to have it checked one more time.

And the final result is send to my proofreader. It seems like it's already pretty polished since not a lot of mistakes have to be corrected at this stage.

Creating believable dialogues is not that hard. However, I think the hardest part is trying to make sure that each character has her/his own way of speaking. I must find the right balance in order not to make my characters become caricatures of themselves.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Mistress Elizabeth

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
What I'm doing nowadays from my side isn't really interesting so let's talk about 18+ content .

The very first release will be only focused on wrestling and dom/sub content, while the following ones will be more vanilla.

As a result, characters can end up in some unusual poses and it can be quite challenging sometimes for the main artist to draw those very specific positions.

Here are some WIP done when we were looking for the more fitting view angle to display some nasty action.

image-1.png

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
Kill la kill was always a good series for ENF / forced exposure, and it looks like this game will have its fair share of it!
Can't wait to see what the project brings.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Kill la kill was always a good series for ENF / forced exposure, and it looks like this game will have its fair share of it!
Can't wait to see what the project brings.
ENF is a theme of the game but more like because the context of the game bring it on the table than because I especially want to add that kind of content (at the difference of yuri that is definitely something I wanted to add. )

But to be honest, I don't really know what people really like about ENF and I'm not saying it negatively, I just mean it.

Is it solely about "embarrassment" itself ? Is it more about the exhibition "part" ? Does it require to make a follow-up scene to the "naked and embarrassed" situation or is it the build-up that matters the most ?

Could have a lot of questions about this.

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
ENF is a theme of the game but more like because the context of the game bring it on the table than because I especially want to add that kind of content (at the difference of yuri that is definitely something I wanted to add. )

But to be honest, I don't really know what people really like about ENF and I'm not saying it negatively, I just mean it.

Is it solely about "embarrassment" itself ? Is it more about the exhibition "part" ? Does it require to make a follow-up scene to the "naked and embarrassed" situation or is it the build-up that matters the most ?

Could have a lot of questions about this.
>Is it solely about "embarrassment" itself ? Is it more about the exhibition "part" ?
I think for most people, it's the mix of both, I would say the main thing people look for is the reaction to the forced exhibition. I think the reaction is probably the biggest part of it.
>Does it require to make a follow-up scene to the "naked and embarrassed" situation or is it the build-up that matters the most ?
I think it's a gradual thing, stripped first, and then maybe the follow-up would be being placed in a more crowded area, or being forced into a more compromising/revealing position (forced to spread, having her arms bound). Stuff like that, if you want to ask more questions about it, you can feel free to shoot me a DM or ask here :)

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
>Is it solely about "embarrassment" itself ? Is it more about the exhibition "part" ?
I think for most people, it's the mix of both, I would say the main thing people look for is the reaction to the forced exhibition. I think the reaction is probably the biggest part of it.
>Does it require to make a follow-up scene to the "naked and embarrassed" situation or is it the build-up that matters the most ?
I think it's a gradual thing, stripped first, and then maybe the follow-up would be being placed in a more crowded area, or being forced into a more compromising/revealing position (forced to spread, having her arms bound). Stuff like that, if you want to ask more questions about it, you can feel free to shoot me a DM or ask here :)
Thanks, that's all clear.

The 1st version of the game will include elements people consider as ENF such as exhibition and of course a little bit of shaming . I will see how people receive it.

Problem being that usually ENF portray female characters as defenseless which is absolutely not what I want to see from Ryûko.

I set up two rules that I try to follow each time I want to add a new sex scene :

1) Does it serve the story right ?

2) Is there a good reason that motivate each individual involved in this sex scene ?

Main goals being to avoid having characters making irrational decisions and avoid having only "sex-driven" characters.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Signature Lewd.png

It"s starting to look like something. :D

That's it ! I have now more completed artworks than placeholder ones.
Art is still progressing at a steady pace and it's nice.

I spend last week-end working on a bug that was affecting my replay system. It's fixed now thanks to the help section of F95zone. I spent so much time on this, for nearly no result. it was the very first time that I was completely stuck while working on my game. :mad:

I did some improvement on the journal UI to make it look better :
Journal.png

You can also see a new "Girls" button added to the top right corner of it.
It's a brand new page I added to the journal. It will :

1) Act as a teaser to foreshadow future girls

2) Let you know which girls can be romanced (if it's an ally) or have 18+ content (if it's an opponent)

3) Show you when are actually romancing another character but also when you missed or locked out one.

it might have some other functions, but it's not yet fully decided.

I'm actually doing a KLK Rewatch english dubb only marathon. It's helping me out expanding my vocabulary and catching all the little expression or catch phrase I missed out.

When I'm done (probably before this weekend) I will resume writing the rest of the script.
I will also need to find a better software/tool to store the storyboard of my game.

Thank you again for your support. :D

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Forgot to mention it in my last post, But given the number of characters involved, I'm still looking for inspiration.

All the characters are set regarding their place (and rank) in my scenario. However I still have little leeway regarding romanceable characters. I'm only talking about allies, since opponents are really and fully set in stone.

I would like to know what you would like to see among these characters. It could be :

- a personality trait
- a physical characteristic
- a concept

Or anything else you want to say.

I have to warn you that I am not committing myself at all to your opinions. I might not even keep a single one of them.

I personally think that a good story have to be planned from the very beginning (hence why I hate people that make polls in order to let people what will be in next update of their game), but I think that listening to other people's opinions can only be beneficial.

My thanks. :)

Reactions: ilmncsm and Violyse