VN Ren'Py KLK Ryûko's Rumble dev thread

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Oh, haha! I thought you could draw art too. But being able to write is just as good. I started out recently, but there's much for me to learn. You commission talented artists! This game will be cool.
Yeah I hope it will be cool too.

I think I found the right balance between delivering a polished demo without risking over-commitment.

I've been tempted many times to go for a bigger release, but people warned me that it would make back-tracking worse if I have to correct some mistakes.

So I want to be able to release something that is both "short" but polished. It must at the very same time :

- Be devoid of placeholder or missing assets
- Quickly introduce the most importants characters and the plot without going too deep.
- Show to player what's the basic gameplay
- Give a fair amount of sexy content.

I think the current version of my game does fit into that, but I'll see when I will be able to make the first play-testing.

Beggarman

Jan 14, 2018
From what I think I've seen you say from other posts, I think what you say you're aiming for in the first release is perfectly right; It's pretty much what I'm aiming for too, lol. If you need a hand with testing before then, I'd be glad to volunteer.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
From what I think I've seen you say from other posts, I think what you say you're aiming for in the first release is perfectly right; It's pretty much what I'm aiming for too, lol. If you need a hand with testing before then, I'd be glad to volunteer.
I'll keep that in mind.

Regarding play testing I'll be looking mostly for people that could give me their opinion about characters, writing, story.

I don't think I'll need someone looking for bugs or typos considering I already started to hunt those and my first demo won't be really complex enough to become a bug fest.

The main goal is more like to know if the characters are interesting, if the story looks attractive and if the sexy content is indeed sexy.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Hello everybody.

I will start this weekend to work on the V0.2 of my game. I already got my storyboard set up but I need to translate it into my game's code now.

Meanwhile, I would like to get your opinions about several subjects :

- 1) What's your opinion about voice acting ?

- 2) Excluding Satsuki, which is the canon female Kill-la-Kill character you want the most to get involved in yuri content ?

-3) Do you have an opinion about the current game title ?

Thanks,

Oshitari Azumi

Who's the strongest Nobbu?!
Donor
May 23, 2017

- 2) Excluding Satsuki, which is the canon female Kill-la-Kill character you want the most to get involved in yuri content ?

Thanks,
1) I don't necessarily mind it personally. Granted the only VO I've ever heard in a fan game on this site (excluding general moaning and what not) is in Jackerman's 'Tentacular'

2) Im a tossup between Jakuzure and Harime

3) IDK much regarding what is safe and what isn't in terms of names that get too close to a source so I don't think I'm a reliable source of info, but maybe if it was just "Ryuko's Rumble"? I'm just afraid of the name stepping on toes and the project getting shut down but again I'm not exactly reliable for that kind of info.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
3) IDK much regarding what is safe and what isn't in terms of names that get too close to a source so I don't think I'm a reliable source of info, but maybe if it was just "Ryuko's Rumble"? I'm just afraid of the name stepping on toes and the project getting shut down but again I'm not exactly reliable for that kind of info.
I had the same mindset when trying to find a game title. It's finding the right balance between between showing it's a Kill-la-Kill fangame without being too obvious.

I think "KLK" itself is not a problem since it's not an acronym only used for Kill-la-Kill. When I type it on Google it doesn't even link it to Kill-la-Kill first.

At the opposite, typing Ryûko does give me links to Kill-la-Kill on the first Google search page already.

But I like Ryûko's Rumble which is at the very same time :

- Short
- Easy to remember and say
- Summarize the game's content and link it to the fighting/wrestling universe.

There is already a KLK fangame on F95 that is Called Ryûko's Life Fiber Adventure. It's game maker doesn't had any copyright issues and told me that Studio Trigger doesn't seem to really care about that.

So it's kind of hard to say if I should change it or not.

And to give a little bit of context, This question is coming up because I plan to get an official logo at the end of the year.

Reactions: Oshitari Azumi

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
Personally, I always turn it off. But for many people it's something they like. I would add it if you have the funds for it. Since this is based on an anime, maybe it will be weird to hear a anime character speak in another voice than in the anime.

Something with "Rumble" in the title sounds marketable. It's a name you will easily remember.

Oshitari Azumi

Who's the strongest Nobbu?!
Donor
May 23, 2017
I had the same mindset when trying to find a game title. It's finding the right balance between between showing it's a Kill-la-Kill fangame without being too obvious.

I think "KLK" itself is not a problem since it's not an acronym only used for Kill-la-Kill. When I type it on Google it doesn't even link it to Kill-la-Kill first.

At the opposite, typing Ryûko does give me links to Kill-la-Kill on the first Google search page already.

But I like Ryûko's Rumble which is at the very same time :

- Short
- Easy to remember and say
- Summarize the game's content and link it to the fighting/wrestling universe.

There is already a KLK fangame on F95 that is Called Ryûko's Life Fiber Adventure. It's game maker doesn't had any copyright issues and told me that Studio Trigger doesn't seem to really care about that.

So it's kind of hard to say if I should change it or not.

And to give a little bit of context, This question is coming up because I plan to get an official logo at the end of the year.
If that's the case then feel free to do you/ignore anything from me. Again, I don't really know to what degree a name for these games is okay so if people you've talked to have already tested the waters, then it makes sense if you listen to them moreso then a random person on the internet who doesn't fully know what he's talking about XD.

Definetly like keeping 'Ryuko's Rumble'. It just kinda rolls off the tongue. Whether you want to remove KLK I guess is up to you.

Beggarman

Jan 14, 2018
It's not something I'm opposed to, but I'm a fast reader (and not just skimming), so unless the VA is amazing, I do end up skipping over it or disabling it. I think it can be good for putting a voice in people's heads for characters that don't have them, though I would put it as a much lower priority than art and writing.

Everything else: no strong opinion either way.

ilmncsm

Apr 10, 2018
1:
In my opinion, voice acting often vastly improves immersion and scene quality, but at the same time for fast readers like my self it can be frustrating on occasion. When well done I am perfectly willing to put up with the delay however.

It can also get very expensive, if you have a large quantity of lines, and while it can work to try to cut back on cost by having only some lines voice acted, if you screw up exactly which lines should be voiced vs not voiced, it can just make the scene weird or awkward when you have voiced lines where you don't expect them, or silence when you do expect them.

So while I encourage you to go for voice acting if possible, be sure you think long and hard about whether it is affordable and to properly integrate it into the scene.

2:
I still haven't found the time to actually watch Kill-la-kill despite having it on my watch list for years, so I have no opinion here, as I don't know the characters well enough to prefer any.

3:
The name is great, I like it. It's short, evocative of it's subject matter, and alliterates nicely.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Yeah voice acting is expensive, especially when the game is a bit wordy.

Looking at the answers you all gave me, I think that's probably something that will never be added unless the game become suddenly so popular that I'm drowning into money.

So yeah, I think giving priority to art will be a better choice.

However it seems like a lot of people don't really know Kill-la-Kill other than by its name.

Considering I want my game to be an alternative sequel to the animated series, I guess I will have to be sure that not having watched the anime isn't a drawback.

That's not something which is that easy since I did watch the anime myself.

I will probably have to prioritize people that don't know KLK well for the first playtesting.

kintarodev

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2022
3) Nothing to say about this.
2) I always had a thing for older women in media or real live, so I have to say ragyo kiryun.
1) IMHO I think voice acting it's too much for a fan game. Then again you are already outsourcing art so it proves you are really investing in this project, but still....

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Ah I see. That's fine then. Those are the only two I really feel strongly about but I wouldn't mind anyone else.
Nonon will still be in the game though.

I know Nui is a character that would suit my game well since she has a fun design and would fit greatly the whole "sexfight/lesbian domination" theme. If I had to put her in my game, I would probably make her both a joyful and sassy character, the kind of girl that really like to toy with other girls.

Before trying to make a game, I had the idea of creating the scenario of a little comic involving wrestling and Kill La Kill characters. I commissioned an artist to give me some visuals in order to set-up a plot, and Harime Nui was part of it.
Artist is Temon, and those test pictures got wiped out of his pixiv account because of a lack of censorship. Here are some of it :

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

At the end it never came through because a comic is too limited a medium.

I'm not especially looking at "replacing" Nui by an original character which will be a copycat of her, it's more like some part of her design (visual appearance/personnality) will be split between several characters.

Reactions: Gigalomaniac

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Hello Everybody.

Enough work has been achieved since the last report, so I can make another one.
As I stated before, currently no "sexy content" is being worked on as my main artist is taking a break for December.
He's getting ready for January which will be an Hentai festival considering what I will ask him. :ROFLMAO:

However, it doesn't mean that nothing is being done.

I spent a lot of my free time polishing every small details that could be improved in order to get the best first release I could.
I lost of the count of how many times I reread and rewrote the script of my game.

There is still 1 very scene I'm still unsure but at this point I prefered to say : "Fuck it ! If it's bothering someone he won't miss pointing that out."

One thing I'm currently very unsatisfied is the lack of CGS for everything that is not directly related to sex scenes. Despite adding visual effects and movements, I have the feeling some scenes are looking a bit bland or monotonous because they lack their own artwork. I want to avoid using the combo "static background + sprites" for every scenes and I think the most important scenes deserve to get their own artwork to make them stand out.
KLK start.jpg

As I don't want to use royaltie free music, I'm getting the help of a musician (RevionBel) to get an original Soundtrack for my game. He's currently working on the third song out of the eight I need for the initial release. Here is a little example of one song I will use in-game :

The main menu artwork is also being worked on. I should also be able to have an official logo and banner for my game.

I will end up by saying you got a bonus point if you can name this character (no cheating. :devilish:)
My sprite folder is becoming bigger and bigger.

Incredibly dumb.png

Last edited: