4.60 star(s) 56 Votes

Eldebrand

Mar 5, 2019
I guess you downloaded everything right away. This is not going to work. Read this:
https://f95zone.to/threads/lab-rats-2-v0-39-1-vren.7260/post-5559695
I hope it helps find your mistake.
I only used the outdated full download links from this thread. Wasn't interested in the newest version as the comments all seemed to indicate that it was a train wreck. So I only have the modded 0.38.1.1 and 0.38.1.2-update downloads from this thread. Re-extracting both archives seems to have fixed whatever was causing the issue. My guess is the original extraction didn't do something correctly as I have no issues now.

Reactions: jimdandy

Helger

Dec 2, 2017
I only used the outdated full download links from this thread. Wasn't interested in the newest version as the comments all seemed to indicate that it was a train wreck. So I only have the modded 0.38.1.1 and 0.38.1.2-update downloads from this thread. Re-extracting both archives seems to have fixed whatever was causing the issue. My guess is the original extraction didn't do something correctly as I have no issues now.
The problem with the links is currently that the v0.39.1 is offered on the game page itself and the mod with v0.38.1 here. If you don't pay attention to the version, problems can arise. If I may ask, you are only not interested in the latest version or generally not in any of the following.

Eldebrand

Mar 5, 2019
The problem with the links is currently that the v0.39.1 is offered on the game page itself and the mod with v0.38.1 here. If you don't pay attention to the version, problems can arise. If I may ask, you are only not interested in the latest version or generally not in any of the following.
Ill stick with whatever gets done here. From what I can tell reading the forum it seems to me the modders versions are more stable, as if the dev is essentially using the modders as his bugfix department.

• Haha
Reactions: Edwarf and Helger

MaxTheDark

Apr 11, 2021
This is true, v0.39 is an absolute train wreck indeed. I tried playing it, then returned to vanilla 0.38, then someone pointed me to this thread and I already know I really don't care about anything Vren releases. Clarity mechanic is just useless and only gets in the way.

shooter682

Feb 28, 2019
Using the most recent bug fix and mod beta the manikin instead of modeling in the outfit manager overlaid the actual game and would not clear went back to save 3 min earler.

ApolloM

Nov 6, 2018
Using the most recent bug fix and mod beta the manikin instead of modeling in the outfit manager overlaid the actual game and would not clear went back to save 3 min earler.
I noticed the same thing. But you can clear the overlaid mannekin by opening the outfit manager and hovering over an outfit.

Reactions: 0800vids

BortBit

Aug 25, 2018
Running into an issue with the Cat Fight crisis event. Dropping this here as I saw that the bugfix part of this mod includes the crises.rpy file.

Seems that every path leads to a hard freeze of the game. I pulled up the crises.rpy file, but I can't see anything obvious in the section of the code where it seems to freeze.

At this point, my most recent savegame seems jammed and isn't pulling any changes to the even if the file is changed, sadly. Is there any way to break out of an event like that once it's started?

LZ_Starbuck

Mar 25, 2019
I absolutely love this mod, and I love how much does it add...

...but I absolutely DESPISE Sarah's storyline. I don't care about her, and yet I have to keep taking her on dates. I have a fucking harem of women, yet the game forces me to spend time with that one dumb bitch. One Saturday when I was working she came in the Afternoon time slot, and I turned her down. So she came again in the Evening slot and FORCED ME to a date! This is the one thing I hate about Visual Novels, when they force you into choices rather than letting you make it, all of a sudden. I really want to fire her now just so she fucks off already. I've literally skipped through the entire conversation in the Strip Club and the following one at home because I just wanted to get back into the game. I love the idea of adding storylines, that's what makes it alive, and with her and Jennifer seemingly bi, I am curious as to what could happen, but if the scene happens when I'm more interested in business than dating, I'm just gonna miss out on all that stuff.

Apologies if I sound whiny, I've got some brain problems.
You can choose not to hire her in her intro

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Ill stick with whatever gets done here. From what I can tell reading the forum it seems to me the modders versions are more stable, as if the dev is essentially using the modders as his bugfix department.
Actuallly not true. The developer has put out a new version 39.3 which fixed the bugs they have. It is up on patreon but it hasn't for some reason been placed up here. Well that isn't entirely true. I created a patch and placed it up on this forum. It converts the unmodded 39.1 to unmodded 39.3. I attached it here below again.

The biggest problem I seen people doing is getting confused by other people's posts and trying to update 39.1 with a patch for 38.1 that is on github. Then someone accidental pointed to my other mod as a bug fix.
I corrected that as soon as I seen the mistake and they updated their post.
This one below is effectively a bug fix for 39.1 but it updates it to 39.3. That's because the only thing done in 39.3 was fix bugs.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Running into an issue with the Cat Fight crisis event. Dropping this here as I saw that the bugfix part of this mod includes the crises.rpy file.

Seems that every path leads to a hard freeze of the game. I pulled up the crises.rpy file, but I can't see anything obvious in the section of the code where it seems to freeze.

At this point, my most recent savegame seems jammed and isn't pulling any changes to the even if the file is changed, sadly. Is there any way to break out of an event like that once it's started?
What version are you running 38.1, 39.1, 39.3
Also if it gets to the error out put that would be helpful to post.
I did read the part regarding it hard freezes.

BortBit

Aug 25, 2018
What version are you running 38.1, 39.1, 39.3
Also if it gets to the error out put that would be helpful to post.
I did read the part regarding it hard freezes.
Version 39.3

No Error output, unfortunately. Upon playing further it appears that it happens with more events than just the catfight. There is an event with a trio of employees talking around the watercooler about the MC, and the freeze seems to happen at a very similar point.

Basically, once one of them is set to walk away, and the game redraws them as such, it freezes. Nothing else seems to be an issue, but if you continue with the event the program stops responding and you have to end the process.

Edit: Derp. I just realized that there is another instance of that event in the Mod folder. If I had to guess on the fly, it seems to break at the command:
$ scene_manager.remove_actor(person_one)

I don't think the "person_one" is the issue, because that function call appears to be at the break point with other arguments as well (loser, person_two, etc), unless the code is losing track of who is person_one and person_two, and is trying to enact an action on the wrong character? Just pure conjecture on my part.

That said, looking at other paths in the code for the Cat Fight event, it seems to also fail on the "Stop the Argument, side with no one" path at the following:
$ scene_manager.update_actor(person_one, position = "walking_away")
$ scene_manager.update_actor(person_two, position = "walking_away")

I don't know where to find the "watercooler" event code, so I can't check that.

Last edited:

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Version 39.3

No Error output, unfortunately. Upon playing further it appears that it happens with more events than just the catfight. There is an event with a trio of employees talking around the watercooler about the MC, and the freeze seems to happen at a very similar point.

Basically, once one of them is set to walk away, and the game redraws them as such, it freezes. Nothing else seems to be an issue, but if you continue with the event the program stops responding and you have to end the process.

Edit: Derp. I just realized that there is another instance of that event in the Mod folder. If I had to guess on the fly, it seems to break at the command:
$ scene_manager.remove_actor(person_one)

I don't think the "person_one" is the issue, because that function call appears to be at the break point with other arguments as well (loser, person_two, etc), unless the code is losing track of who is person_one and person_two, and is trying to enact an action on the wrong character? Just pure conjecture on my part.

That said, looking at other paths in the code for the Cat Fight event, it seems to also fail on the "Stop the Argument, side with no one" path at the following:
$ scene_manager.update_actor(person_one, position = "walking_away")
$ scene_manager.update_actor(person_two, position = "walking_away")

I don't know where to find the "watercooler" event code, so I can't check that.
I downloaded the mod for the first time and looked through their code.
Can't say I am a fan after looking at it.
They use overrides to replace parts of code rather than just replace it. The section of code.
Just not the way I look doing stuff. Call it a coding preference. The advantage of it is you can stick it in a separate folder and just remove the folder if you don't want to use the mod again.
I think its just as easy to delete the folder and unzip the file again.

I'd have to trace back through a lot of code to figure out what is going on. I noticed the cat_fight_label is over ridden with one that has enhanced in the name. However, they don't end the same in the way they return. That might be fine if they used their own method for calling it but it might not be if they relied on the base code to determine when it is called thus the reason I would have to track back through it. My guess there is a conflict in the way the mod works and the way the new code of the base system works and they missed it.

If they are smart they will create a script to test if all the related functions the mod relies on with the base system are still the same the call and return system as they expect. That way any conflicts like this can be caught simply by running a script.
Running a script like that can save them ours of trouble shooting BS like this.
The same goes for the developer if he had done the same the patch from 39.1 to 39.3 wouldn't have been needed at all it would have been caught in under a second and he could have released it in 39.1 correctly.

LZ_Starbuck

Mar 25, 2019
I downloaded the mod for the first time and looked through their code.
Can't say I am a fan after looking at it.
They use overrides to replace parts of code rather than just replace it. The section of code.
Just not the way I look doing stuff. Call it a coding preference. The advantage of it is you can stick it in a separate folder and just remove the folder if you don't want to use the mod again.
I think its just as easy to delete the folder and unzip the file again.

I'd have to trace back through a lot of code to figure out what is going on. I noticed the cat_fight_label is over ridden with one that has enhanced in the name. However, they don't end the same in the way they return. That might be fine if they used their own method for calling it but it might not be if they relied on the base code to determine when it is called thus the reason I would have to track back through it. My guess there is a conflict in the way the mod works and the way the new code of the base system works and they missed it.

If they are smart they will create a script to test if all the related functions the mod relies on with the base system are still the same the call and return system as they expect. That way any conflicts like this can be caught simply by running a script.
Running a script like that can save them ours of trouble shooting BS like this.
The same goes for the developer if he had done the same the patch from 39.1 to 39.3 wouldn't have been needed at all it would have been caught in under a second and he could have released it in 39.1 correctly.
Feel free to contribute. We accept merge requests. We coded the mod the way we did in order to preserve mod compatability, EG, if anyone else makes a mod, ours should be mostly compatible right out the box because don't overwrite any vanilla code. This was a concern early on in the mod's development because there were 5 or 6 people making mods for this game at the time and so every month, each designer had to modify their code to be compatible with the base game, and then people had to write additional code to make their mode compatible with other mods.

If they are smart
If you don't like the mod then don't use it, there's no reason to get personal with people who have spent literally years working on this as a labor of love for other people who enjoy it. There's no reason to get personal.

MaxTheDark

Apr 11, 2021
You can choose not to hire her in her intro
Thing is, she is quite beneficial. If I'm starting over at some point, I'd still hire her, just keep her Sluttiness on 0. And besides, my problem was that the player does not have any control over the progress of her storyline, and you can randomly get locked in a looooong event line while all you wanted to do was produce some stuff over the weekend so you can go back to whatever you were doing. And I do want to learn her story, just on my own pace, like with everything else.

[EDIT]
Oh, and I totally agree with Shtradha up there, does Vren actually think people regularly get into relationships, engaged, married and divorced over the course of a weekend?

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Feel free to contribute. We accept merge requests. We coded the mod the way we did in order to preserve mod compatability, EG, if anyone else makes a mod, ours should be mostly compatible right out the box because don't overwrite any vanilla code. This was a concern early on in the mod's development because there were 5 or 6 people making mods for this game at the time and so every month, each designer had to modify their code to be compatible with the base game, and then people had to write additional code to make their mode compatible with other mods.

If you don't like the mod then don't use it, there's no reason to get personal with people who have spent literally years working on this as a labor of love for other people who enjoy it. There's no reason to get personal.
It isn't about getting personal nor a put down on the mod.
I'll reword it for you. The smart programming practice to prevent issues such as improperly called functions is to use a script or linter to catch those types errors there is no good excuse for them existing. Means the same thing. The problem in this case is with yourself in that you seen the words smart and instantly jumped to the conclusion in your mind it was calling you stupid. Not just that it was about being smart in the future not regarding past actions. " If they are smart they will create a script to test if all the related functions the mod relies on with the base system are still the same the call and return system as they expect. That way any conflicts like this can be caught simply by running a script." It doesn't say, "if they were smart they would have created..."
That statement applies to any software developer. Some editors/IDEs have tools built in some have add-ons called linters that do it. However, you can write a python script in short order that will catch these types of issues. So even you used windows edit these types of errors should never make it to production. It takes about 1 second to catch those errors in all the scripts you have combined.

As for the reasons you do it I know those. I did say it has some advantages.
What happens if two different mods over write the same label does it simply give an error or default to the last one loaded?
There are two primary ways I can see such issues being resolved have away to turn on and off mods or have an agreement between developers off it as to which mod handles what.

Nov 1, 2019
If anyone has an issue progressing time after injecting someone with serum with Nora's traits in them, you might need to change game\side_effect_traits.rpy for these lines:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Everything else (error when progressing time after serum injection) with a similar traceback should probably go in the same file.

4.60 star(s) 56 Votes